Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Digital_dreamer, thanks I looked at the kext collection that you made for boot-132 and I noticed you didn't have system.kext and seatbelt.kext. Fixed that by adding that to the InstaHackintosh kext collection in the appropriate folder. Subseqently, the verbose went farther. It stopped though. Near all the localhost stuff. Dont know why? Can we have someone test this to make sure this works. I feel like my ud5 motherboard is unique or there is something wrong with 1600mhz ram or something.

pixcture2.jpeg

I have not used the InstaHackintosh script, mainly because I wrote my own and I don't like not knowing what/where things are being installed. I have seen this error before, and it was due a incorrectly installed boot loader. basically it has loaded all your modified kexts and has nowhere else to go.

If you can, I would try to do the installs manually so you have total control of the install. I have a great working system and these are the ONLY kexts I am using...

AppleSMBIOS.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

LegacyJMicronATA.kext

Natit.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

I removed system.kext and seatbelt.kext since I am using a modified 9.6.0 kernel based on the voodoo source. If you are using the 9.5.0 kernel, do not omit those kexts.

Does InstaHackintosh provide an install log, if so please post it. I designed my EFI Partition boot script to provide a detailed log of what the script has been done for troubleshooting. Hopefully that can provide some insight to what is happening.

BTW, have you had a working install yet? distro or retail?

Not sure if this is a faux pas or not, so please tell me if it is...

Has anyone tried installing the Snow Kitten yet?

I wanted to try it as I understood there is some form of support for the HD4xxx series (although only in the

10a222 version), and I wanted to try it, as the lack of QE (and the fact the programs tell me I have no VRAM, although my card has 1G and the system says there is 256Megs of it...?) kills me; most apps seem to really *need* it...

If not - does anyone have an idea whether the 'normal' install methods could work? (like perhaps M J's tutorial)

Any info will be most welcome :D

PS: currently running 10.5.5, from iAtkos5i, with full core support, but it's been done before :D and fixed my ps/2 problem by simply choosing another kext during install.. :hysterical:

I do not have the most recent build, so I am waiting for the 10A222 (from a friend that works at the big A). I have used the 10A90 build on an real Mac and decided to go back to Leo since there were too many issues for the work I was trying to do (it was not compatible with the iPhone SDK). I don't think there would be any issues since voodoo kernel is 64bit aware and EFI Partition Booting would allow for an easy install.

If you want to attempt, I would first ensure that your current configuration is stable, prep a separate disk for install (You could even copy your EFI Boot Partition files before the install), boot-132 into the snow install disk, choose your prepared disk, and restart. If it works, it should be hassle free.

Actually, come to think of it... You could try the LiveBoot method that just hit the front page and use the snow dmg for your boot partition. It may not work, but it sounds like a cool idea.

The most important thing is the motherboard specifications. That information will determine OS X compatibility. Everything thing else (besides graphic card) is pretty much trivial.

The EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 appears to be a nice board, but I can't find detailed information on the LAN and AUDIO chips. It uses the common Intel ICH10R southbridge, so getting your hard drives and other SATA devices working in OS X with native support would be no problem.

If you or someone else can find information on the on-board LAN and AUDIO chips, then we can determine compatibility. At the very worst, if no OS X support is available for those devices, you'll need OS X compatible PCIe/PCI cards to take their place. Can't find those specifications on their site, specifications PDF, or forums! Downloading their 37MB mobo manual at this moment. Hope it's in there.

regards,

MAJ

EDIT: Okay, I've peered into the Windows driver packages and see that the board is using Realtek chips for both the LAN and audio.

The LAN Device IDs include 8169, 8168, and 8101E. So, that's well supported!

The Audio installer has these strings: HDA861A and HDAHP880. So, that's supported, as well.

Looks to be a rather compatible board, much like a Gigabyte board, but don't know how well it handles multiple cores in OS X and if it requires added support like the ASUS.

Soo basically im looking at just getting everything together and popping the iso file of ideneb v1.3 10.5.5 in the dvd drive and following the instructions?

BTW, have you had a working install yet? distro or retail?

No I have this error (click here) except i fixed the fsb bus issue at the top but it still says the same error with your script. I also tried to install your script then put instahackintosh without any kexts or bootloader so it would read the osx and I would be done. That didn't work either. Gave crazy errors. Maybe you know whats wrong? These voodoo kernel errors are unbelievable.

I have installed iPC though, didnt work awesome but it works for now. I just want Boot-132, Boot-132 Instahackintosh, or your EFI script. None work. I recognize that we have a Boot-132 kexts that digital provided (thanks!) but I dont understand why we dont have someone host a completely modified (kext, voodoo, boot.plist, dsdt) boot-132 iso. I think this is key to getting this working with this disk because I cannot get an edited generic.iso to work or boot-132 gui to work either.

No I have this error (click here) except i fixed the fsb bus issue at the top but it still says the same error with your script. I also tried to install your script then put instahackintosh without any kexts or bootloader so it would read the osx and I would be done. That didn't work either. Gave crazy errors. Maybe you know whats wrong? These voodoo kernel errors are unbelievable.

I have installed iPC though, didnt work awesome but it works for now. I just want Boot-132, Boot-132 Instahackintosh, or your EFI script. None work. I recognize that we have a Boot-132 kexts that digital provided (thanks!) but I dont understand why we dont have someone host a completely modified (kext, voodoo, boot.plist, dsdt) boot-132 iso. I think this is key to getting this working with this disk because I cannot get an edited generic.iso to work or boot-132 gui to work either.

I can try again to work on a more appropriate boot-132 image, but I've tried before with no luck. I currently use the same boot-132 image I have been using for my Intel motherboard and it works fine for me. It doesn't have audio or graphics drivers, but I mainly use it for install only.

I am really unsure of what exact steps you are trying, and I would stay away from the scripts for a while. Learn how to do your installs manually using Terminal.

Use this guide for EFI partition booting. Also download the voodoo kernel and system kext directly from Voodoo XNU. That way you know what you are getting. Try to minimize the kexts you initially install to only what is needed to boot. Forget audio, lan or whatever. The first step is to boot... Period. It's good to have a working install to troubleshoot with, so leave you iPC install alone! Use your iPC install to re-format, re-install or add/remove kexts. If all else fails, restart from SCRATCH. This means, clear CMOS, edit the bios config, reformat (not just erase, ensure GUID partitioning as well), and re-install. Boot into your iPC install and MANUALLY perform the steps as outlined in Munky's guide (linked above). You can also install Mac OS X Retail from .dmg from another working install using the steps outlined in Digital Dreamer's guide (Skip to the Install OS X instructions). This works real well and is a lot faster than booting from the Install DVD. It also gives you the chance to prep the EFI partition before restarting.

If you get frustrated, put the bat down and just leave it be for a day or two, and then come back to it when you are calm and relaxed. There must be something wrong, so you need to find the problem. It may just take some time. Trust me, I had two working installs (Kalyway and Retail) and both broke on me and I was unable to figure out the problem for a few days.

Use the forums for support, but also try to get the files from the source whenever possible. I believe my script works well, but if I was someone else, I would be skeptical about the files until I know they work. This is why I have not tried/used the InstaHackintosh script(s). Also, if you are using two scripts that were not meant to be used together, it can end up with some strange results that were never intended.

My suggestion is to ditch all the scripts and do this on your own. You'll learn a lot more and be able to resolve other issues if they arise down the road. Good Luck!

EDIT: I noticed your earlier post in which you used my older script. The script has been updated and fixes some issues with the boot loader files. I have the new files uploaded to my iDisk. I may make some changes to it later, or add files. This is the exact script I use on a frequent basis.

I do not have the most recent build, so I am waiting for the 10A222 (from a friend that works at the big A). I have used the 10A90 build on an real Mac and decided to go back to Leo since there were too many issues for the work I was trying to do (it was not compatible with the iPhone SDK). I don't think there would be any issues since voodoo kernel is 64bit aware and EFI Partition Booting would allow for an easy install.

If you want to attempt, I would first ensure that your current configuration is stable, prep a separate disk for install (You could even copy your EFI Boot Partition files before the install), boot-132 into the snow install disk, choose your prepared disk, and restart. If it works, it should be hassle free.

Actually, come to think of it... You could try the LiveBoot method that just hit the front page and use the snow dmg for your boot partition. It may not work, but it sounds like a cool idea.

Ah, sounds well enough :) And I don't need the SDK, as I don't even own an iPhone (weren't available on my network, to which I'm bound). I think I'll try a Snow install after getting a good retail install first, as that has been verified to at least be possible. That, and I can't find 222... Got 190 this morning, only to read HD4xxx is not yet supported on that one *note to self: read the post more carefully* But as you're going to get it from such basic source, I can only assume I won't find it any time soon... Also - I need to procure myself some DL-DVDR's, cause these discs are to big to just burn :)

Many thanks in any case, I'll see how far I get. And of course - will keep you people up to date as well ^_^ (will try the 10A190 anyway, probably :P)

Thanks a LOT !!!

Finally I can install Leo retail in my GA-EX58+ I7 920 !

So thanks a lot to digital_dreamer for your guide !

Im working on it yet because I can get the right ram speed is 1333 and show like 400, and some graphics issues,hang when change resolution etc, but I´m happy by now.

Regards

Daniel

Digital_dreamer, thanks I looked at the kext collection that you made for boot-132 and I noticed you didn't have system.kext and seatbelt.kext. Fixed that by adding that to the InstaHackintosh kext collection in the appropriate folder. Subseqently, the verbose went farther. It stopped though. Near all the localhost stuff. Dont know why? Can we have someone test this to make sure this works. I feel like my ud5 motherboard is unique or there is something wrong with 1600mhz ram or something.

pixcture2.jpeg

@mattrb,

I didn't put a System.kext in the kext collection because that particular kext depends on the kernel one wants to install. Each System.kext is built to work with a particular kernel. I decided I'd leave that decision to the installer. The Boot-132 script, however, installs the Voodoo kernel and its supporting System.kext.

But, you're right, I need to update that for 10.5.6. I was going to put the Seatbelt.kext in there for 10.5.6 compatibility, but I think I'll just encourage everyone to update to the latest 9.6.0 Voodoo kernel that's been compiled by Andy Vandijck.

I see that wolfienuke is using it, too. :)

It's not final and and has a model name bug. But, it doesn't need the older Seatbelt.kext and fixes the USB/FireWire handling. :)

I have the zipped files here: Voodoo 9.6.0 kernel - by Andy Vandijck - not final!

This just includes the kernel and System.kext

Andy had it in a weird installer that made it difficult to extract and would install dynamic linkers that weren't necessary.

@mattrb and wolfienuke,

I have seen this error before, and it was due a incorrectly installed boot loader. basically it has loaded all your modified kexts and has nowhere else to go.

Heh. Yep, everything looks okay in the boot log, but it apparently has nothing else to do.

Did you do an update using wolfienuke's script? I ran into a little bug (v3) where it would update the kexts, but the bootloader would be erased.

Here's what happened: I had the Seatbelt.kext on the EFI partition. Decided to update to the 9.6.0 kernel, so removed the Seatbelt.kext from my script folder. The script notified me, "Additional kexts are already installed that are not selected to install." "Would you like to remove all other kexts?" I replied "y", because I wanted the extras removed.

After examining the contents of the EFI partition, I notice only the kernel, boot.plist and dsdt.aml are in the directory. No System directory, Extensions directory or boot and update files. Oops! (Don't have that log anymore, sorry)

@Amrcndj,

I doubt there will be directions. The options you select will depend on your specifications and your desired configuration. This is where understanding your motherboard and the available options presented is key. With a new and unknown board, this may take some experimentation and trial and error. But, I have not doubt it will work with the right selections.

Try examining the boards others are using and what kexts and options they use for a working system. This will provide needed insight and help you get a jump start on this project.

Best of wishes!

kind regards,

MAJ

hmm so my lan died again.... it was fixed as before. i think it must be the drivers, as i never got this with windows and i used that for 2 weeks. i dont really want to be resetting the cmos every 2 -4 days.

ѕӎѳѳ,

Ouch! Sorry, you are having so much trouble with those Ethernet ports.

Are you using the Psystar version of the LAN driver? If so, perhaps you can try the older RealtekR1000 v1.0.4 from Sourceforge.net. I really can't imagine it would make a difference, but it's worth a try.

I don't recall what boot method you are using, but if you are using the boot from EFI method, this kext would go inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext, replacing the other driver of the same name.

It's likely there are other factors affecting the Ethernet ports. Are you using a torrent client? If so, which one? And, what kind of router/switch are you using? I'm not too sure these drivers allow changes, but you could try a change to a manual Ethernet configuration. Network/Advanced/Ethernet tab - change from auto to manual, try half-duplex and try 100baseTX.

best of wishes,

MAJ

I'll just encourage everyone to update to the latest 9.6.0 Voodoo kernel that's been compiled by Andy Vandijck.

I see that wolfienuke is using it, too. :)

It's not final and and has a model name bug. But, it doesn't need the older Seatbelt.kext and fixes the USB/FireWire handling. :)

I have the zipped files here: Voodoo 9.6.0 kernel - by Andy Vandijck - not final!

This just includes the kernel and System.kext

Andy had it in a weird installer that made it difficult to extract and would install dynamic linkers that weren't necessary.

Yes, the 9.6.0 kernel fixed the issues with usb/firewire, but the KP with VMWare/Parallels is still there. It's an issue specific to the i7 platform, and Voodoo XNU team will probably need to acknowledge the issue before it gets resolved.

Yes, the 9.6.0 kernel fixed the issues with usb/firewire, but the KP with VMWare/Parallels is still there. It's an issue specific to the i7 platform, and Voodoo XNU team will probably need to acknowledge the issue before it gets resolved.

Thanks for the heads up and saving me time. I was going to reinstall it and try it out after hearing that someone got Parallels going with 9.6.0.

Do you want to file a bug report on that vmnet.kext related KP, or me?

regards,

MAJ

Thanks for the heads up and saving me time. I was going to reinstall it and try it out after hearing that someone got Parallels going with 9.6.0.

Do you want to file a bug report on that vmnet.kext related KP, or me?

regards,

MAJ

It's already noted...

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/issues/detail?id=148

If you have a google/googlecode account, login and click the star next to this issue to show the Voodoo XNU team that this is a problem (meaning all this CPU power being wasted).

Actually, I did manage to get VMWare Fusion running fine! I just had to make sure that the kernel I was using was named mach_kernel (like noted earlier in this topic). Other than that I am doing nothing special - just using the voodoo kernel everybody else is using, but only on a DS4 board. This board does have only one ethernet interface instead of the two on the UD5 - maybe that's driving the vmnet.kext to a panic? Can you maybe disable one in the BIOS and try?

So I got WinXP running lightning fast, Vista is on the todo list.

I have just successfully installed kalyway 10.5.2 with Chameleon patch to the iso.

My computer consists of:

-Cpu: intel i7 920

-Mobo: Intel x58so

-Ram: 2x2gb DDR3 Corsair

-Vid: ATI HD 4670

-Hdd: 300gb VelociRaptor 10,000rpm

-Hdd: 1.5tb 7,200rpm

I am lost on trying to install drivers for my on board network adapter and sound. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Once I have this whole thing sorted out I want to do a new install to my VelociRaptor hdd.

I understand that my video card most likely won't be usable for awhile so other then that, please let me know what I can do.

Actually, I did manage to get VMWare Fusion running fine! I just had to make sure that the kernel I was using was named mach_kernel (like noted earlier in this topic). Other than that I am doing nothing special - just using the voodoo kernel everybody else is using, but only on a DS4 board. This board does have only one ethernet interface instead of the two on the UD5 - maybe that's driving the vmnet.kext to a panic? Can you maybe disable one in the BIOS and try?

woah cowboy. i have the DS4 board also, and I KP with vmware and parallels 3 / 4.

we may need to look at our configs a little more closely to see what is going on...

Good idea, but no go. Can you list/post your kexts?

Good idea, but no go. Can you list/post your kexts?

I will have a go at it tonight (I'm in EU so that's still some 12 hours) when I'm back from work. Some stuff I remember though:

- I am using Fusion v 2.0.1 (but don't remember exact build number)

- I used digital dreamers install method, and also his kext package; there is one exception though: I first did a 10.5.0 install, then did the post-patching, then rebooted in my new install, and updated to 10.5.6 from within the new install itself. Most people I guess might have done the 10.5.6 update directly (as that is how it is described in DD's guide).

So might be some kext's are different, I will try to list them here tonight.

I will have a go at it tonight (I'm in EU so that's still some 12 hours) when I'm back from work. Some stuff I remember though:

- I am using Fusion v 2.0.1 (but don't remember exact build number)

- I used digital dreamers install method, and also his kext package; there is one exception though: I first did a 10.5.0 install, then did the post-patching, then rebooted in my new install, and updated to 10.5.6 from within the new install itself. Most people I guess might have done the 10.5.6 update directly (as that is how it is described in DD's guide).

So might be some kext's are different, I will try to list them here tonight.

That's incredibly interesting.

Can you post your Ethernet settings - DHCP, static, etc.

Does anyone know of anyone else that has VMware working on a i7 platform? I wouldn't think a dual Ethernet setup would play a part. I think all of MSI's X58 boards have dual Gigabit Ethernet. But ASUS has the P6T (not the Deluxe or Rampage) with a single port. Anybody with that here?

Whatever you guys find out could help the Voodoo team. On the other hand, it may not be something they can or should fix, but left in the hands of the VM development teams.

regards,

MAJ

I have just successfully installed kalyway 10.5.2 with Chameleon patch to the iso.

My computer consists of:

-Cpu: intel i7 920

-Mobo: Intel x58so

-Ram: 2x2gb DDR3 Corsair

-Vid: ATI HD 4670

-Hdd: 300gb VelociRaptor 10,000rpm

-Hdd: 1.5tb 7,200rpm

I am lost on trying to install drivers for my on board network adapter and sound. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Once I have this whole thing sorted out I want to do a new install to my VelociRaptor hdd.

I understand that my video card most likely won't be usable for awhile so other then that, please let me know what I can do.

Hi, Craig4,

Congrats on your install!

The Kalyway distro is capable of installing a fully working setup pretty much OTB. I don't remember what the settings are on that distro, but it's a Realtek driver, like RTLR1000 or RTL8169 or such, for the LAN, and Realtek driver 889A for Audio. Again, I don't remember the exact wording, but it probably was a default setting.

You could post the Kalyway installer options list and we'll tell you what to select.

kind regards,

MAJ

Just a little side not here... :)

Anyone else gonna tune in to the keynote later today?

*let's not get our hopes up too high, but still* :D

Back to main subject: haven't got my DL DVDR's for Snow yet, but finally got my Retail back from my parents. Will try to do the install according to M J's tut, or at least follow it partially ;) (I like to experiment)

That's incredibly interesting.

Can you post your Ethernet settings - DHCP, static, etc.

Does anyone know of anyone else that has VMware working on a i7 platform? I wouldn't think a dual Ethernet setup would play a part. I think all of MSI's X58 boards have dual Gigabit Ethernet. But ASUS has the P6T (not the Deluxe or Rampage) with a single port. Anybody with that here?

Whatever you guys find out could help the Voodoo team. On the other hand, it may not be something they can or should fix, but left in the hands of the VM development teams.

My ethernet is just DHCP configured. As fiat posted his DS4 with a single port also does not work, I agree that's not the likely cause. There must be some difference however...I'll try to find out more.

Just a little side not here... :)

Anyone else gonna tune in to the keynote later today?

*let's not get our hopes up too high, but still* :D

Back to main subject: haven't got my DL DVDR's for Snow yet, but finally got my Retail back from my parents. Will try to do the install according to M J's tut, or at least follow it partially :D (I like to experiment)

Keynote? You betcha! Eagerly waiting for the hardware updates.

Won't be the same without The Steve. ;) Today will historic and mark the end of an era - no more Apple at MW in the future.

regards,

MAJ

My ethernet is just DHCP configured. As fiat posted his DS4 with a single port also does not work, I agree that's not the likely cause. There must be some difference however...I'll try to find out more.

How about posting the kextstat from Terminal? That'll let us know what's loaded, their versions and dependencies.

regards,

MAJ

I'd set up my i7 system with EFI partition method (voodoo 9.6.0), and running all the features such as on-board LAN, Audio, CI/QE, etc., except Time Machine feature.

It seems like the Time Machine requires "Built-in LAN adaptor" on the system, which means IOBuiltin key must be set to <true/> in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file. However, I couldn't figure out how to set it always on. Another odd thing is that the Network preferences shows my Ethernet connection is half-duplex and I cannot override it even if I choose "Manually" for configuring mode.

Are there any way to use Time Machine feature and/or set the duplex as full-duplex on GA-EX58-UD5?

Removing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist didn't solve my problem. Most of kexts are wolfienuke's amazing lovely pack. I replaced only graphics kext (retail graphics update and EFI string) and Kernel (recent release of voodoo 9.6.0).

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (EFI Partition, Voodoo 9.6.0) | GA-EX58-UD5 | Core i7 920 | DDR3 Corsair 3x1GB @ 1333 MHz | nVidia GeForce 9800 GT