Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

On my EFI boot setup, I notice at times errors in the Console that point to the System.kext in S/L/E, particularly the "Unsupported" plugin. Should this be happening, as the System.kext that should be loaded is located on the EFI partition?

I'm starting to think that the USB and FireWire mount issues is related to the version numbers of the installed kernel and System.kext on the EFI partition. Given that the Voodoo kernel is 9.5.0 and the vanilla kernel and its corresponding System.kext is 9.6.0, I'm thinking that some kernel functions are being overridden, as the kernel is being referred to the 9.6.0 vanilla System.kext in S/L/E. Would that explain the log reports?

I took the vanilla System.kext out of S/L/E and my system would not boot! Should this be happening on a EFI boot setup? I haven't tried just replacing the vanilla 9.6.0 System.kext with the Voodoo version, but I'm tempted to see if that fixes the USB and FireWire mount issues. If it does, then I would be convinced that the higher version # of the vanilla setup is creating the problem. I can't bump the version number of the kernel and I know it's running anyway, but the System.kext is bumped to 9.9.9 (or 999.9.9, depending on which numbers you're looking at). Wouldn't this create a mismatch?

Kextstat shows 9.5.0 versions, and I don't see anything pointing to 9.6.0, which is a good thing. But, what about the enclosed Plugins, like "Unsupported"?

Anyone want to chime in here and tell me what's going on or just tell me I'm confused. :(:P

regards,

MAJ

On my EFI boot setup, I notice at times errors in the Console that point to the System.kext in S/L/E, particularly the "Unsupported" plugin. Should this be happening, as the System.kext that should be loaded is located on the EFI partition?

I'm starting to think that the USB and FireWire mount issues is related to the version numbers of the installed kernel and System.kext on the EFI partition. Given that the Voodoo kernel is 9.5.0 and the vanilla kernel and its corresponding System.kext is 9.6.0, I'm thinking that some kernel functions are being overridden, as the kernel is being referred to the 9.6.0 vanilla System.kext in S/L/E. Would that explain the log reports?

I took the vanilla System.kext out of S/L/E and my system would not boot! Should this be happening on a EFI boot setup? I haven't tried just replacing the vanilla 9.6.0 System.kext with the Voodoo version, but I'm tempted to see if that fixes the USB and FireWire mount issues. If it does, then I would be convinced that the higher version # of the vanilla setup is creating the problem. I can't bump the version number of the kernel and I know it's running anyway, but the System.kext is bumped to 9.9.9 (or 999.9.9, depending on which numbers you're looking at). Wouldn't this create a mismatch?

Kextstat shows 9.5.0 versions, and I don't see anything pointing to 9.6.0, which is a good thing. But, what about the enclosed Plugins, like "Unsupported"?

Anyone want to chime in here and tell me what's going on or just tell me I'm confused. :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

regards,

MAJ

Do not change the system.kext version... The system.kext and kernel versions must match like you said. It may be worth a shot to replace the mach_kernel with mach_kernel.voodoo and system.kext with the voodoo version, just to make things match.

If the software is still looking at the system.kext in S/L/E, that may cause some issues (i think) even though the loaded system/kernel are 0.9.5, software that looks directly at S/L/E may get confused. If you look and the output during boot, the system does realize that the loaded kernel does not match the installed kernel (comparing the /mach_kernel on EFI Partition to the one on disk).

I can try this as well, but I do not expect any solution from this since the problems still plagued this motherboard on 10.5.5 with the 0.9.5 vanilla kernel.

Another success story here!!

Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4

Core i7 920

3x2GB Kingston 1333MHz

Nivida 8800GTS 320MB

Thanks for your guide MAJ, I have followed it and got everything up and running without problems, even for the DS4 board. Only the audio requires special treatment (ALC888 iso ALC889). Next up for me is installing an EFI partition using wolfie's scripts. The great thing now is that I have two functional installs, so I can experiment without too much trouble on the EFI part.

Too bad about the virtualization though, I hope the Voodoo guys manage to find a fix for that soon. Also the LAN stories are scaring me a bit here, hope mine stays alive.

Good stuff.. another ds4 user. Audio was a right royal pain to install!! And yep, the virtualisation issue is a real bugger! its the only thing stopping this osx86 from being completely functional...

Good stuff.. another ds4 user. Audio was a right royal pain to install!! And yep, the virtualisation issue is a real bugger! its the only thing stopping this osx86 from being completely functional...

I was really hoping to see how fast Windows is in virtualization in OS X with the i7... I have the 920 and am now playing with over-clocking it with stock cooler. 150Mhz Clock (3.0GHz CPU) seems very stable and temperatures are still fairly low even on stock cooling (and considering only about 60% of the CPU directly contacts the stock cooler). Geekbench is now around 9000 (32bit version). Not too shabby for the slowest of the 3 i7 processors.

I clocked my 920 to 3.66GHz and it too was very stable, geekbenched (32bit) to 10000.

One thing that is a bit disappointing is most apple apps (iDVD) for example don't fully utilise the CPU very well, iDVD 8.0 is throttled to around ~ 300 cpu.

Handbrake and Visualhub work awesome however and are unbelievably fast.

I wonder if they will release updates for leopard for this, or whether we must wait for Snow Leopard?

Has anybody gotten the 9800gx2 working on a x58 chipset motherboard. It looks like i better install linux and wait a couple of months untill all the problems get sorted out on the i7 platform. If anyones got it working that would be nice to know.

Card has been giving me alot of issues since day one. Find aqua-mac's geforce 9 series installer and put your card in the second pci-e slot. Worked on the x48 boards that way.

For any of you with USB and FireWire mounting issues, just create a simple script using the following in a text editor:

#!/bin/bash
cd /Volumes/YOUR_HARD_DRIVE_NAME/System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextload IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext
sudo kextload IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

Just update "YOUR_HARD_DRIVE_NAME" and save with the .sh extension. You can set the Finder to launch Terminal when you double-click it (Get Info->Open With).

There may be a parent kext up the chain that triggers both of these kexts, but I haven't found it. I haven't figured out the Bluetooth loading, either. If you have, let us know and add it to the script.

I have found that after several minutes the OS will unload the kexts, so running the script again is necessary if you need to mount drives again.

regards,

MAJ

So my LAN has died too, just like I was afraid of. I've been away all day (the machine was off), and upon first boot it suddenly didn't get recognized anymore. Also couldn't perform test from BIOS (it would do nothing in the screen). First tried a CMOS clear with power cable connected, that didnt fix it. Then unplugged power for a minute, put it back in, clear CMOS, that did fix it luckily.

But since so many of us are having this problem, we ought to start wondering where it's coming from. If it's a board/BIOS issue, then sooner or later an update will fix it anyway, and we don't have to worry. But possibly the R1000 driver is killing our LAN EEPROM - in that case, we'd better find out quick. This has actually happened before, there was some linux driver that killed E1000 cards not too long ago.

This was on a GA-EX58-DS4 btw, bord is very similar to the UD5.

i love you. period

i love you. period

I assume that means you got your LAN fixed by unplugging power? :) But thank you.

Overall I must say I am very impressed with my current setup, it's blazing fast and everything's working a charm. Even sleep, restart and shutdown work flawlessly. Next up is trying to get vmware fusion / parallels to work, it'd be a waste to have 6G RAM without some virtual machines...

I assume that means you got your LAN fixed by unplugging power? :) But thank you.

Overall I must say I am very impressed with my current setup, it's blazing fast and everything's working a charm. Even sleep, restart and shutdown work flawlessly. Next up is trying to get vmware fusion / parallels to work, it'd be a waste to have 6G RAM without some virtual machines...

you would be correct.... i have spent so many hours trying to get it working, and all it needed was for me to pull the plug for one minute..

yes i really need parallels to work, i have this blu ray drive doing nothing and i need anydvd hd to start ripping some movies..

SUCCESS HERE!!!

Leopard Retail DVD 10.5.4 with EFI partition boot installed on Asus P6T MB!

Everything works except for:

- Graphics: QE not supported (should work after i'll install aqua_mac drivers for the 9000 series)

- Audio: i set it as HD Audio from the BIOS, and it is recognized using Azalia kext, but I still hear no sound.

It's late now, I'll write something more specific in the next days!

btw, what do you think about the 10.5.6 upgrade? should I give it a try since I boot from the EFI partition?

I have a problem now. I had success once with my i7 (i have mentioned it in detail in this topic) but now i cant install nothing! None of the releases!

Installation starts ok on all releases, but i hang on boot at MAC Framework successfully initialized message!

I have read many solutions for this but none helped. Its completely strange to happen suddenly. I havent made any changes to my system.

I have tried with 132 boot method but it panics at the boot of the installation, as all 10.5.4 releases dvds.

Conclusion: I can achieve complete installation with 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 releases, but the booth hangs at MAC Framework successfully initialized message.

Tried cpus=1 busratio=20 -v -f -s -x options none worked.

Anyone with that problem?

palamo,

have you used any EFI partition installations? If there are kext's in there they will load and if they are incompatible with your system you will have problems. I suggest re-partitioning the drive so that the old EFI partition is wiped so you can start fresh.

MJ, as long as your changed kexts are in the EFI partition, you should have no problems upgrading to 10.5.6 - i have upgraded to 10.5.6 and it worked fine... but make sure you create a backup image to be sure!!!!

SUCCESS HERE!!!

Leopard Retail DVD 10.5.4 with EFI partition boot installed on Asus P6T MB!

Everything works except for:

- Graphics: QE not supported (should work after i'll install aqua_mac drivers for the 9000 series)

- Audio: i set it as HD Audio from the BIOS, and it is recognized using Azalia kext, but I still hear no sound.

It's late now, I'll write something more specific in the next days!

btw, what do you think about the 10.5.6 upgrade? should I give it a try since I boot from the EFI partition?

MJ:

That is FANTASTIC!!!!

Please post a very detailed walk-though if you have time (BIOS settings, flags, kexts, etc...).

Cheers,

JD

Just make sure the 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext is installed on the EFI partition as well. This IS required for 10.5.6 until xnu-dev releases the voodoo 9.6.0 kernel.

Other than that, updating is as easy on a hackintosh with EFI Partition Boot as it is on a real Mac.

Great new you guys!

I used to have a perfect install with a Q6600, P5K Deluxe and a 8800GT with EFI. Now I'm also with a Core i7 but I still can't install OS X without proper support for my HD 4870. I guess I'm gonna have to wait some more.

palamo,

have you used any EFI partition installations? If there are kext's in there they will load and if they are incompatible with your system you will have problems. I suggest re-partitioning the drive so that the old EFI partition is wiped so you can start fresh.

Thanx for your answer.

I am always partitioning the drive before every installation with disk utility in the installer.

I have a problem now. I had success once with my i7 (i have mentioned it in detail in this topic) but now i cant install nothing! None of the releases!

Installation starts ok on all releases, but i hang on boot at MAC Framework successfully initialized message!

I have read many solutions for this but none helped. Its completely strange to happen suddenly. I havent made any changes to my system.

I have tried with 132 boot method but it panics at the boot of the installation, as all 10.5.4 releases dvds.

Conclusion: I can achieve complete installation with 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 releases, but the booth hangs at MAC Framework successfully initialized message.

Tried cpus=1 busratio=20 -v -f -s -x options none worked.

Anyone with that problem?

palamosteliaro,

Can you post the list of kexts you are using and their source?

regards,

MAJ

MSI Platinum 8 cores working!

DSDT patcher was successful. The reason it wasn't working before was that I was newbsauce and didn't realize that the version of Chameleon included with iDeneb 1.3 didn't include the modification to look for DSDT.aml.

Everything motherboard-related that I've tested so far is working, except for sound. I think there are some specially modified files for the ALC888 made for older MSI boards around somewhere that might work but I haven't tried it yet because my m-audio 2496 PCI card is working with the audio-evolution envy24 driver.

The only issue I'm encountering now is with the video card (G92 8800GTS). Strange texture corruption in WoW (the only thing I have to test 3D) where textures/menus are randomly replaced with garbage or stripes. It looks the same as you'd see if the gfx card memory was messed up, but I know this card is perfectly functional in Windows. I've tried nvinject and nvkush and both have the same result.

nevermind, also seems to have been fixed by DSDT!

palamosteliaro, I was getting the same MAC Framework error until I followed your instructions, which worked perfectly, so it is really strange. You were only doing two things differently: enabling ACPI fix and not enabling ICHx chipset driver. I think it was the ACPI fix that solved it. So, make sure you still have the ACPI fix, and that you didn't change any APIC / ACPI things in the bios.

post-22114-1230904080_thumb.png

I have 3 questions:

I used InstaHackintosh 1.0 and used the dfe boot option. The thing konked out and I used Digital_Dreamer's boot-132 kext package and put them in the main extension folder. I was then going to install voodoo by putting mach_kernel.voodoo in the dfe folder in the InstaHackintosh Package. Then I rebooted and it just came to this screen and to a screeching halt. Why doesn't digital_dreamers kext work and was voodoo installed correctly.

pixcture.jpeg

Second question is if it is okay to use 1600 mhz ram in this motherboard because I think this is what is causing problems for me. Is there any way to underclock this ram to normal speeds to get the computer running better. How do I underclock it and with what settings in the bios.

Third Question is if the bios patcher in the forums can bios patch the bios for this motherboard and help it to get more dsdt friendly.

Thanx for your interest.

You mean the contents of the System/Library folder right?

No, the list of modified/custom kexts that are installed.

And, would you be able to list the several lines before that MAC Framework message? The OS loading is multithreaded and some processes take longer to respond and provide feedback. So, the system may not necessarily hang on the last message shown, but one or two before it.

I'm assuming that no other software was installed and this is a fresh OS install, correct?

Just to get it out of the way, try repairing permissions in Disk Utility. Any files in the System folder with wrong permissions will certainly cause a hang.

regards,

MAJ

I have 3 questions:

I used InstaHackintosh 1.0 and used the dfe boot option. The thing konked out and I used Digital_Dreamer's boot-132 kext package and put them in the main extension folder. I was then going to install voodoo by putting mach_kernel.voodoo in the dfe folder in the InstaHackintosh Package. Then I rebooted and it just came to this screen and to a screeching halt. Why doesn't digital_dreamers kext work and was voodoo installed correctly.

pixcture.jpeg

Second question is if it is okay to use 1600 mhz ram in this motherboard because I think this is what is causing problems for me. Is there any way to underclock this ram to normal speeds to get the computer running better. How do I underclock it and with what settings in the bios.

Third Question is if the bios patcher in the forums can bios patch the bios for this motherboard and help it to get more dsdt friendly.

1. You hit the nail on the head... Voodoo looks like it was installed, but not correctly. I have seen that message before. Usually it is because of a missing boot loader file. I have also seen it when I incorrectly copied the boot loader files to the wrong partition. Make sure you copy the boot1h, and boot0 files to the correct partitions, and ensure that the boot2 (usually named "boot") is at the root of the EFI partition.

If you are using EFI partition booting, you may need to re-install the boot loaders (or worst case scenario, re-partition, and re-install)

2. The RAM will probably default to 1033, and should be stable. You could probably increase it to 1600, but it may need some tuning. I manually changed my RAM to 1333 and it ran fine with no other adjustments.

3. I'm not sure of what you are asking...