Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Wolfienuke: iAtkos Voodoo Kernel is version 9.5.0 Beta 2c, what is the version of yours ?

My issues with Voodoo Beta 2c Kernel were:

- OS X System clock advanced too fast. 60 seconds in the real world was about 80 seconds in OS X.

- Video playback in VLC was too fast, and audio skipped a lot. VLC propably syncs to OS X's system clock. Music (AAC - files) played through iTunes had no problems though, playback speed was correct and no skipping.

After trying to change numerous bios settings did'nt help, I installed iAtkos 5i again with exactly the same options, this time only with kernel Fassl. The problem went away :rolleyes:

Wolfienuke: iAtkos Voodoo Kernel is version 9.5.0 Beta 2c, what is the version of yours ?

- OS X System clock advanced too fast. 60 seconds in the real world was about 80 seconds in OS X.

- Video playback in VLC was too fast, and audio skipped a lot. VLC propably syncs to OS X's system clock. Music (AAC - files) played through iTunes had no problems though, playback speed was correct and no skipping.

After trying to change numerous bios settings did'nt help, I installed iAtkos 5i again with exactly the same options, this time only with kernel Fassl. The problem went away :rolleyes:

Voodoo kernel v1.0 Rev A

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

You need to use "busratio=20" kernel flag for the Voodoo kernel only.

After trying to change numerous bios settings did'nt help, I installed iAtkos 5i again with exactly the same options, this time only with kernel Fassl. The problem went away :)

Use the Voodoo kernel Release Candidate as wolfienuke has already mentioned.

The F4 BIOS update is really recommended. I found F3 incredibly buggy. Restarts don't power down the mobo, unless you have made changes in the BIOS.

I'm typing this out in Vista 64 on my hack. Oddly, I find installing OS X on a PC easier than installing Vista on a PC. LOL. Got the usual "Vista can't find a Volume that meets its criteria" message. Had to unplug all the other drives to get it installed. Microsoft's response is (as I found on various help sites), "We don't want the user to install Vista on a removable drive. That would create problems." So, instead of just warning you or disallowing you to install on a removable drive, Vista won't allow you to proceed, even if you are trying to install on a valid volume. All other volumes need to be removed prior to boot. B)

No driver for the ATI 2600XT OTB (?!!), so installed latest from ATI. Vista had problems with that, so had to roll back to a earlier driver to get it going.

First impressions...

Instant suc6 !!! on first boot!!! was really amazed... ubuntu 8.10 or gparted live distro's won't even boot...

#had prepaired a vanilla retail disk on an already working system...

#bootloader+voodookernel+'dsmos/disabler/resolver/natit'

#already studied this post...

#corrected some bios settings...

#darwinbootloader:mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v

bingo!

geekbench:8200-8600 "not overclocked yet"

specs:

antec9

psu=quadro850

EX58 Extreme

bios f4

#"f3 bios alot of graphic corruption during boot, POST problems "takes a lot of time ", POST not responding on key input"

#"f4 bios fixed all above B)"

12gb 1600 kingston

#"memtest osx, single user mode, all tested fine"

core-i7 920

hd2600xt

6x1tb baracuda

#ich9 softraid=570 MB's

1x 1tb baracuda

#jmciron=bootdisk

1x asus dvd-r

#jmicron

all sata devices btw

---Install---

Bios settings: will update tommorow

disabled all kind of power saving

EIST, c1e etc etc

all cores, hyperthreading etc enabled

everything AHCI / native

jmicron "normal-mode/portmultiplier" <<< this setting is by default raid0

Installation:

retail disk made on real mac, installed 10.5.5, installed munky efi method, only dsmos + DSDT.aml + mach_kernel.voodoo on EFI disk.

mach_kernel.voodoo also on native partition

natit,smbiosresolver are on native partition

---Details---

LAN 1/2

Thought that lan would work "vanilla kexts" without bonjour like a lot of other realtek chips on this board, but it doesn't work at all, didn't bother patching yet. dmesg shows that it does something with realtek8169, but there are no ethernet devices in the "system preferences".

but read it must be possible...

Wifi

using a asus WL-138v2 vanilla supported Airport, it works fine

AUDIO

haven't tried yet. but also seams do-able with 889 solutions around.

USB

8x usb backpanel 2x usb front panel work

FIREWIRE

1394 haven't tried, but sometimes it shows up in "System preferences >network" sometimes not...

jmicron 322 trouble

The jmicron controller is a real {censored}, there are four ports, only 'one device' at a 'group of ports' works in "OSX" and is supported for boot.

jm 01,0=bootharddisk

jm 23,0=dvd-drive

adding a second device on jm 01,1=

#"green/blue colored GIGABYTE-sata menu during boot reports 'only' the device on 01,0" bios does see all the device! not in OSX "maybe in windows?"

adding a second device on jm 23,1=

#"green/blue colored GIGABYTE-sata menu during boot reports 'only' the device on 23,0" bios does see all the device! not in OSX "maybe in windows?"

total of 4 devices don't work only the 2 of the 4 that are on 0 port,"closest to motherboard" work in osx

shutdown/restart/etc:

restart works always

shutdown just restarts

dsdt.aml + openhaltrestart doesn't work great

chud+poweroff fix "old way" also doesn't work

sleep not tested yet...

no single crash or kernel panic yet, in 2 day operation,

good night

i enable the root user so i can add stuff to the extensions folder on the EFI partition without using terminal.... perhaps im lazy...

by the way i also use the audio drivers for the audigy 2, and i cannot get parallels or vmware to work...

ethernet is a {censored} pain! not sure why mine seems to be really {censored}...

Are you still having problems with the LAN, requiring a CMOS clear?

@walterav

Great work!

If you got the EX58 Extreme, that's just begging to be overclocked! B)

As for vanilla LAN support: You'd think that just creating a "fake" plist with updated device IDs would fix that issue. I might try it sometime, but not too hopeful.

regards,

MAJ

Starts out great :'(

I am such an idiot.

I bought this box in the US and brought it back to Belgium.

I've never done this before so of course I forgot to flick the swith on the power supply B) and blew it to kingdom come...

I ordered a new one.

As soon as I install it and figure out whether I blew the MB or not, I'll get back to this thread.

OMG, I gotta go shoot myself now...

I am such an idiot.

I've never done this before so of course I forgot to flick the swith on the power supply :) and blew it to kingdom come...

I ordered a new one.

As soon as I install it and figure out whether I blew the MB or not, I'll get back to this thread.

Ouch!!

240v to a 120v PSU. B)

I wouldn't think the mobo ever got the Power Good signal, but there's no telling what was actually on the rails. :(

regards,

MAJ

I am such an idiot.

I've never done this before so of course I forgot to flick the swith on the power supply B) and blew it to kingdom come...

I ordered a new one.

ouch...

btw any one with all 4 working jmicron 322 ports?

Is it possible to use the hardware RAID controller on the GA-EX58-UD5 with OSX. I have a striped set set up in the BIOS but OSX see's them as two drives.

Digital_Dreamer your guide is awesome! Flawless install and very easy to follow! Question though... When I go into my system info the SATA information is showing up as ICH8 not ICH10R, could this be the reason I'm not able to use the built in RAID functionality of the board?

Andrew

Is it possible to use the hardware RAID controller on the GA-EX58-UD5 with OSX. I have a striped set set up in the BIOS but OSX see's them as two drives.

Digital_Dreamer your guide is awesome! Flawless install and very easy to follow! Question though... When I go into my system info the SATA information is showing up as ICH8 not ICH10R, could this be the reason I'm not able to use the built in RAID functionality of the board?

Andrew

On board RAID support - that would be so nice! As far as I know, there is no native OS X support for the on-board RAID. Disappointing, as the device IDs are all there in the plists. A working RAID setup using Disk Utility is described here.

As for the ICH8 showing up, that's surprising. Are you using the AppleAHCIPort.kext that was in the tutorial download.

The following should be in the kext's info.plist:

<key>ICH10RAHCI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
		<key>Chipset Name</key>
		<string>ICH10-R AHCI</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleAHCI</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x3A228086</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>2000</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		<key>Vendor Name</key>
		<string>Intel</string>
	</dict>

How about deleting the Extensions.mkext in the System/Library directory and rebooting?

regards,

MAJ

On board RAID support - that would be so nice! As far as I know, there is no native OS X support for the on-board RAID. Disappointing, as the device IDs are all there in the plists. A working RAID setup using Disk Utility is described here.

As for the ICH8 showing up, that's surprising. Are you using the AppleAHCIPort.kext that was in the tutorial download.

The following should be in the kext's info.plist:

<key>ICH10RAHCI</key>
	 <dict>
		 <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		 <string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
		 <key>Chipset Name</key>
		 <string>ICH10-R AHCI</string>
		 <key>IOClass</key>
		 <string>AppleAHCI</string>
		 <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		 <string>0x3A228086</string>
		 <key>IOProbeScore</key>
		 <integer>2000</integer>
		 <key>IOProviderClass</key>
		 <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		 <key>Vendor Name</key>
		 <string>Intel</string>
	 </dict>

How about deleting the Extensions.mkext in the System/Library directory and rebooting?

regards,

MAJ

Digital_Dreamer,

I followed your guide step by step and used the supplied zip file with kexts in your post. I'll try deleting the Extensions.mkext as you have suggested and let you know my results.

I have another question, how would I go about removing NVInject and using EFI strings for my video card? And... how are you getting Quartz Extreme? Is that because of the ATI card? I have a GeForce 8800GT 256RAM.

Thanks,

Andrew

Finally I have EFI Partition Boot Working but it was crazy, I was just having issues getting the 132 Bootloader to detect the CD. I decided to bypass this by using instahackintosh but that didnt work. I wallowed over the subject for few days. I did the instahacintosh thing again and then I put 10.5.6 update on and then it worked.

So My guide for getting this done quick is....

Go in a working install (iatkos, kalyways)-

1. Open EFI Partition Script

2. Open instahackintosh script (dont put extensions in folders) and put osx image/disk in and point install to the Hard drive.

3. Dont install bootloader or close the bootloader box after installing osx

4. Open 10.5.6 combo package and point it to your Hard drive.

5. Reboot

I also had mkext read issues and if that is the case then open the EFI partition with Munky's guide and make the mkext manually with the mkext gui.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 EFI Partition Boot Install Script

Anyway, here is my EFI Boot Install Scripts for the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5.

I have included the kexts that I have used on my Install. The only issue I am having right now is my RAM show 400MHz... If anyone has a fix, let me know...

After trying this method (v3), I still receive "waiting for root" when rebooting and trying to start for the first time.

After trying this method (v3), I still receive "waiting for root" when rebooting and trying to start for the first time.

This issue has been covered many times in this thread and numerous other threads in this forum. Do a search.

Additionally, there are many possible reasons why this may be happening, but with what little information we have to work with, it's difficult to troubleshoot. Details are needed to come to a working solution. Typically, one posts the picture of the screen so we can decipher the log.

regards,

MAJ

Are you still having problems with the LAN, requiring a CMOS clear?

@walterav

Great work!

If you got the EX58 Extreme, that's just begging to be overclocked! :blink:

As for vanilla LAN support: You'd think that just creating a "fake" plist with updated device IDs would fix that issue. I might try it sometime, but not too hopeful.

regards,

MAJ

Update:

geekbench 11500 19x200 =3,8

prime95 osx... gets the cpus at 99 C in 15 minutes, using temperture monitor + driver, so don't know if its correct temperture, doesn't run windows to check. Gonna buy a real cooler later instead of the stock... but it seems stable, not a crash of the os yet...

Lan:

Fixed 2 ports lan by copying vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext to desktop removed the Realtek8169.kext put back Psystar R1000.kext , put the whole thing back, speed seems to be fine 3-4 gigB in a minute... Bonjour, dhcp, unplug etc working fine

Audio:

disabled it using, Mulibridge.

Issues:

software:

whole Final cut studio 2doesn't run, it starts but as soon as chosing a project type it stops...

quicktime plays great records great too.

activity monitor:

does show sometimes that, QTkitserver / coreaudiod and usereventagent are not responding...

hope this is an issue of the voodoo kernel... coreaudio can be Multibridge issue, because the drivers are for 10.5.6 and the system is 10.5.5. maybe overclock

Sleep:

it sleepes, it wakes, but after wake, the picture is back, mouse can be moved but everything else is dead...

dmesg:

only the TSC sync errors are strange... but maybe that is the problem, because the busratio in plist is still 20, and the new one is 19 :)

npvhash=4095

hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000

PAE enabled

64 bit mode enabled

rtclock_init: Taking bus ratio path 0 (Boot-time argument)

TSC: Reported FSB: 100.0000MHz, corrected FSB: 190.0297MHz

TSC: Verification of clock speed failed. Fallback correction was performed. Please upgrade bootloader.

TSC: Frequency = 3800.5942MHz, FSB frequency = 190.0297MHz, bus ratio = 20

Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Sat Dec 6 19:39:54 IST 2008; Voodoo; Release 1.0 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

vm_page_bootstrap: 3043101 free pages and 102627 wired pages

mig_table_max_displ = 79

Local APIC version not 0x14 as expected

warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalApicId=4 Enabled

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=2 LocalApicId=6 Enabled

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=3 LocalApicId=2 Enabled

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=4 LocalApicId=5 Enabled

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=5 LocalApicId=7 Enabled

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=6 LocalApicId=3 Enabled

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=7 LocalApicId=1 Enabled

Loading security extension com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet

calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet

Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)

Loading security extension com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall

Loading security extension com.apple.security.seatbelt

calling mpo_policy_init for mb

Seatbelt MACF policy initialized

Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)

Copyright © 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993

The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

[TSC] delta: 10, skipping synchronization. (CPU1)

[TSC] delta: 54, skipping synchronization. (CPU2)

[TSC] delta: -11, skipping synchronization. (CPU3)

[TSC] delta: 9, skipping synchronization. (CPU4)

[TSC] delta: -29, skipping synchronization. (CPU5)

[TSC] delta: -75, skipping synchronization. (CPU6)

[TSC] delta: -75, skipping synchronization. (CPU7)

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

[MSR] detected invalid rdmsr(000000cd) by com.superhai.driver.SMBIOSResolver at 0x7e0b0cd0

OpenHaltRestart: 2008 \M-B\M-) COPYRIGHT PSYSTAR

bios screenshots added as attachment.

Update:

geekbench 11500 19x200 =3,8

prime95 osx... gets the cpus at 99 C in 15 minutes, using temperture monitor + driver, so don't know if its correct temperture, doesn't run windows to check. Gonna buy a real cooler later instead of the stock... but it seems stable, not a crash of the os yet...

That's hot! You're brave. :| Of course, with the on-chip temp monitoring and throttling, you can push the limits easier without damage.

Post your voltages.

The Geekbench score is the 32-bit version? Pretty good score!

Lan:

Fixed 2 ports lan by copying vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext to desktop removed the Realtek8169.kext put back Psystar R1000.kext , put the whole thing back, speed seems to be fine 3-4 gigB in a minute... Bonjour, dhcp, unplug etc working fine

Great that you got it going. You know your way around and can clearly think things through.

Audio:

disabled it using, Mulibridge.

What's Multibridge?

Issues:

software:

whole Final cut studio 2doesn't run, it starts but as soon as chosing a project type it stops...

quicktime plays great records great too.

See if there are any "multi-processor" extensions/plug-ins installed for FC. I had to pull the Multi-proc plugin from Photoshop CS3 to get it to launch.

activity monitor:

does show sometimes that, QTkitserver / coreaudiod and usereventagent are not responding...

hope this is an issue of the voodoo kernel... coreaudio can be Multibridge issue, because the drivers are for 10.5.6 and the system is 10.5.5. maybe overclock

Try the beta Voodoo 9.6.0 kernel.

Sleep:

it sleepes, it wakes, but after wake, the picture is back, mouse can be moved but everything else is dead...

What picture is back?

No GUI response? Does it beachball after a while?

dmesg:

only the TSC sync errors are strange... but maybe that is the problem, because the busratio in plist is still 20, and the new one is 19 :withstupid:

Heh. Let us know if changing it to 19 helps.

regards,

MAJ

I'm installing Leopard onto a Dell Studio XPS system and I'm having a bit of a problem.

I'm able to boot iDeneb 1.3 and iAtkos 5i by disabling all but one core, hyperthreading and virtualization. I've changed the disk controller from ATA to RAID (this enabled iDeneb to boot but made no difference to iAtkos).

Just after reading the Firewire GUID it stalls at waiting for root device. I'm really trying to get this up and running. In the long term I would like to do a vanilla install, once I know which boot configurations and kexts are necessary. Since I'm able to boot from the CD I feel like I'm almost there but just need to change one minor thing somewhere.

Also the Studio XPS has the same chipsets as the ASUS/Gigabyte boards. From what I know so far using Vista Device Manager:

X58 North I set cpuratio=20 for the CDROM and HD boot but it made no difference at all.

RAID Controller Intel ICH10R 0x2822,0x8086

HDAUDIO 0x0888,0x10EC

Ethernet Intel 82567LF-2 0x10CD,0x8086

for iAtkos I've enabled the following customizations

PC EFIv9

Apple Decrypt

SMBIOS EFI

9.5.0 Kernel fassl

Stock ACPI

Disabler.kext

OHR (Open Halt Reset)

Intel AHCI Sata

Intel Pro 100 VE

Great work here everyone, I've been reading the thread for the past few days and I'm amazed at the progress that's been made in such a short time.

I currently use a P5W hack and have done for months with no significant issues. I'm getting itchy to try something different and would like to put an i7 machine together.

With the success stories from wolfienuke and digital_dreamer, I'm planning on purchasing a GA-EX58-UD5. Just out of interest are you guys based in the US? Just wondering how much you paid for your boards as they seem significantly more expensive in the UK - as most things usually are! The same can be said for the new CPUs.

With regards to stability are those on GA-EX58-UD5 finding things enjoyable? - it seems that everything is up and running aside from virtualization. Any major applications that don't run on the board? or issues I should take into consideration?

Also, I've seen the EFI install script prepared by wolfienuke which looks superb. I was wondering what was the preferred method of installing OS X prior to the EFI installation. If using Munky install is there a boot CD available or is is best to prepare one myself? Or did you guys use the LTL guide where you instal from an active partition?

Many thanks for all your help and I hope to be reporing back to you very soon from my new machine.

c/

That's hot! You're brave. :D Of course, with the on-chip temp monitoring and throttling, you can push the limits easier without damage.

Post your voltages.

The Geekbench score is the 32-bit version? Pretty good score!

Great that you got it going. You know your way around and can clearly think things through.

What's Multibridge?

See if there are any "multi-processor" extensions/plug-ins installed for FC. I had to pull the Multi-proc plugin from Photoshop CS3 to get it to launch.

Try the beta Voodoo 9.6.0 kernel.

What picture is back?

No GUI response? Does it beachball after a while?

Heh. Let us know if changing it to 19 helps.

regards,

MAJ

CPU

Hi, the voltage is 1,4 volt loadline calbration is on, else is the same as the added pictures...

geekbench is indeed 32bit

Multibridge:

capture card: Black magic design multibridge pro 2

software:

PS CS3 is working fine, with all adobe updates applied, AE also, FCS motion also doesn't work.

Only screenupdate in cs3 with 1,7GB picture at 100% is incorrect, so gonna try to disable the 3d acceleration.

Sleep:

'The Picture' i mean after sleep is the desktop, it starts beach balling"don't remember anymore", but nothing else responds, only th mouse moves on the desktop.

think that shutdown worked with only vanilla kernel, but also tried DSDT.aml + openhaltrestart, and chud + poweroff fix, at this moment shutdown always restart

Mayb tommorow gona update the boot flag from 20 > 19

After trying a bunch of different combinations I'm having limited success.

So I got an almost working i7 Studio XPS.

Using iAtkos this is the combo I found to work:

PCEFI v9

Apple Decrypt

SMBIOS EFI

9.5.0 Fassl kernel

Stock ACPI Modified (I think it's poorly named)

Disabler.kext

Intel AHCI SATA

In the BIOS I disabled virtualization and Hyperthreading and ran on 1 CPU. I'll test multicpu later

At boot I have to enable safe mode, -x busratio=20

I also installed the ATI HD and ATI Efi string for the HD 3650. This resulted in 'scratchy' screen after boot. Only way to get things working was in safe mode.

BTW, my ethernet and my 802.11n card show up and I'm able to authenticate onto my network using WPA2/TKIP

Okay I read on the Voodoo Kernel User manual of a workaround for VMware by using synlink or symbolic linking. The linking of the old kernel to the new voodoo. Does this work with EFI Partition Boot. If not then can I name the mach_kernel.voodoo to mach_kernel and that will fix it. Im lost and need Parallels/VMware.

P.S. I just read wolfienuke's Note on the XNU google webpage.

"This seems to be specific to the i7 platform. Have used unofficial 9.6.0 kernel and still KP. Kernels were also renamed from mach_kernel.voodoo to mach_kernel. Still KP's."

Sad. We gotta figure out a workaround. The XNU people are clueless because they can afford the i7. Maybe when core i5 comes out the XNU will get one.

Also I really love instahackintosh but I found a problem. I tried 10a222 Snow leopard and it ended installation early? Darn. Gotta make a boot-132. Unfortunately I have never been able to make one (used instahackincrack to make a virgin OSX). :(

This issue has been covered many times in this thread and numerous other threads in this forum. Do a search.

Additionally, there are many possible reasons why this may be happening, but with what little information we have to work with, it's difficult to troubleshoot. Details are needed to come to a working solution. Typically, one posts the picture of the screen so we can decipher the log.

regards,

MAJ

Digital_Dreamer,

Apologies for my noobiness. After some trial and error I solved my problem, though I don't think I really did anything. All of my settings were correct in the bios, that's why i was initially troubled by the "root device" error. I simply restarted my machine and then it booted up fine. Though this time the -v showed much more happening, more things being loaded, etc. Again, troubled.. but its working.

Everything is working great now, and couldnt be happier.

My last question... Why havent you guys made a tutorial thread for the GA-EX58-UD5? Searching for this thread takes for ever using the search function of this site.

Great work guys!

Andrew

Digital_Dreamer,

Apologies for my noobiness. After some trial and error I solved my problem, though I don't think I really did anything. All of my settings were correct in the bios, that's why i was initially troubled by the "root device" error. I simply restarted my machine and then it booted up fine. Though this time the -v showed much more happening, more things being loaded, etc. Again, troubled.. but its working.

Everything is working great now, and couldnt be happier.

My last question... Why havent you guys made a tutorial thread for the GA-EX58-UD5? Searching for this thread takes for ever using the search function of this site.

Great work guys!

Andrew

That's great news, vintageawv! :happymac:

As for a dedicated thread, I've thought about it. I agree that a lot of the helpful hints, tutorials, etc. for specific motherboards are getting buried in a very general thread. M J already has the [How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7), Boot-132 + EFI Partition Boot thread that now is at 7 pages. Perhaps, we can start a leader post for the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 board that will branch either to a duplicate of wolfienuke's EFI Partition tutorial or my Boot-132 tutorial (which, by the way, I don't even use anymore. Well, I did eat my own dog food for a while there. Heh.), depending on the user's preference.

Do I hear any Ayes in favor?

wolfienuke, your thoughts?

I might go ahead and update it to 10.5.6 and post a starter thread. Wolfienuke can put his tutorial there. I prefer his EFI partition boot, for obvious reasons. But, I also note that a lot are still using the Boot-132 method, as well.

regards,

MAJ