Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I got a mail that requests to describe how to get a 9800 GT working. I wrote a reply to that, but I'm so stupid enough to write it on browser not on some text editor, so I lost everything after kp before sending ;(

Then I noticed, my system freezes when I open geekbench.dmg. LOL

Anyway, now I re-wrote what-I-did for 9800 GT. I hope it works some other system like mine. Here it is:

First of all, I use wolfienuke's EFI Boot Installer v3, not digital_dreamer's kexts pack now. To make sure there're no special kexts in /S/L/E, I did clean re-installation by the retail 10.5 DVD with EFI Installer v3.

Second, I always choose "1) Install" instead of "2) Update" from the menu of EFI Installer. This is because my system goes to black screen right after boot screen seems to be shown. It happens only rarely not always, but I just don't want to take time to distinguish what was wrong, for instance, newly added/removed kexts or EFI partition updating failure. (It happens especially when I removed some kexts from Extensions folder.)

Third, I could easily run CI/QE enabled 9800 GT on Kalyway 10.5.2 with NVinject.kext. (just copy digital_dreamer's version of NVinject.kext into /S/L/E.) However, I couldn't figure out how to get worked on either digital_dreamer's and wolfienuke's pack with injectors such as NVinject, NVkush, etc.

OK. My set up as follows:

0. Install OS X 10.5.6 Combo update with EFI Boot Installer v3.

1. Remove all the injectors from Extensions folder in EFI partition and /S/L/E. Make sure no Natit, NVinject, NVkush, etc. Then, reboot your system.

2. Download "NVIDIA 9000 Series Driver v2" and install it.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132089

3. Download following gfxutil kit and generate EFIString.

http://rapidshare.com/files/177286499/gfxu..._MB_9800_GT.zip

Procedure is described in the following thread:

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...=509&page=1

$ ./gfxutil -f display

Replace the PciRoot(...) string at the top of in.plist with the generated one.

$ ./gfxutil -i xml -o hex in.plist out.hex

Copy generated hex string into efistring.txt, which can be found in EFI Boot Installer folder.

Note that no CR/LF and/or white-spaces in the file.

4. Update EFI partition. (As I noted above, I choose "1) Install" always.)

New com.apple.boot.plist? yes

Boot option? busratio=20 -v whatever-you-would-like

Timeout? 5 or whatever

EFIString? just press enter, so that it automatically copied from efistring.txt. Do not enter any hex string here.

5. Reboot. Voila!

Just to tak on to this, once you get your strings installed and your card is recognized correctly you can then run aqua-mac's 9 series installer and that'll just about double your openGL performance. I can run COD4 on max settings with my 9800GTX+ now.

Yesterday, I got a mail that requests to describe how to get a 9800 GT working. I wrote a reply to that, but I'm so stupid enough to write it on browser not on some text editor, so I lost everything after kp before sending ;(

Then I noticed, my system freezes when I open geekbench.dmg. LOL

Anyway, now I re-wrote what-I-did for 9800 GT. I hope it works some other system like mine. Here it is:

First of all, I use wolfienuke's EFI Boot Installer v3, not digital_dreamer's kexts pack now. To make sure there're no special kexts in /S/L/E, I did clean re-installation by the retail 10.5 DVD with EFI Installer v3.

what exactly is EFI installer v3, and can you point me in the direction to get that?

any idea on how I would go about doing that or would I have to search else where?

Find out the chipsets that you motherboard has, then go to Hardware/Drivers Forum and search for your chipset. There are lots of resources out there... For example, a quick google search like "osx86 ALC889" or "ALC889 site:insanelymac.com" will find lots of information about the kexts that support the Realtek ALC889 Chipset (audio chipset for your DX58SO similar to the GA-EX58-UD5).

Here's some help:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO

Audio: Realtek ALC889

LAN: Intel 82567LF (Maybe 82567LM)

SATA: Intel ICH10R (Internal SATA-300 ports)

ESATA: Marvell 88SE6121 (External SATA ports)

You will need to perform some trial and error tests to find the right kext, but at least you know the chipsets are supported.

Just found this thread and Im happy to hear you can run a hackintosh on intel's i7 CPU's. I plan on building another hackintosh using the i7 for film scoring. Which mobo would you guys suggest the ASUS or Gigabyte?

I noticed the Gigabyte can handle 24 gigs of ram and the Asus only 16. Also I won't start my build until NI kontakt 64 bit gets released which will be in a few months I guess. I heard their are new mobos coming out which will take 2 i7 cpus and can handle more ram. Anyone know anything about that?

Find out the chipsets that you motherboard has, then go to Hardware/Drivers Forum and search for your chipset. There are lots of resources out there... For example, a quick google search like "osx86 ALC889" or "ALC889 site:insanelymac.com" will find lots of information about the kexts that support the Realtek ALC889 Chipset (audio chipset for your DX58SO similar to the GA-EX58-UD5).

Here's some help:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO

Audio: Realtek ALC889

LAN: Intel 82567LF (Maybe 82567LM)

SATA: Intel ICH10R (Internal SATA-300 ports)

ESATA: Marvell 88SE6121 (External SATA ports)

You will need to perform some trial and error tests to find the right kext, but at least you know the chipsets are supported.

hey thanks for the help, I was wondering what the marvell thing was, I havent built a computer in over 5 years and am a total noob again. I have the LAN drivers working on my board, but the ALC889 driver doesnt seem to work from the kalyway distro. I wonder if I just download the kext and install it through OSx86 tools if it would get going. I will try that out.

My new project that I have been trying to get done is to boot from the retail disk, but as for now I am not having any luck. I got some com.apple.boot.S/Library.... some more to it but cant remember error. I have the boot-132 disk, but I am thinking I need a newer version since I am using a SATA drive.

Just to tak on to this, once you get your strings installed and your card is recognized correctly you can then run aqua-mac's 9 series installer and that'll just about double your openGL performance. I can run COD4 on max settings with my 9800GTX+ now.

At the moment I'm only using the EFi strings and it seems to be working well. Is it really needed to install the 9xxx series drivers? I thought you needed either the EFI srtings or the drivers...

hey thanks for the help, I was wondering what the marvell thing was, I havent built a computer in over 5 years and am a total noob again. I have the LAN drivers working on my board, but the ALC889 driver doesnt seem to work from the kalyway distro. I wonder if I just download the kext and install it through OSx86 tools if it would get going. I will try that out.

You can try the same kext that is used for the GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard. It's for Realtek 889A, but just might work. Check Digital Dreamer's post (on page 9 I think) for the kexts.

I really want to use my retail dvd as I stated above, but for some reason I can't seem to find the disk when I put it in. I have posted messages in the boot-132 section but still nothing back. I see these v6.1s but don't know exactly what they are or how to use them. I just got the generic.iso and don't know if that is my problem.

When i put the disk in everything on the bootloader seems to go good, when I press esc it asks me to type a number for the boot device. they give the example that 80 is hd1 and 81 is hd2. I am guessing I want to type the number for my dvd drive. I have tried 90, 91, 9f, f9, fe, and a few other randoms. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

At the moment I'm only using the EFi strings and it seems to be working well. Is it really needed to install the 9xxx series drivers? I thought you needed either the EFI srtings or the drivers...

His installer run alongside strings. Increases openGL performance. Its not really needed.

Put my i7 system together, hit the power button and boom: NO POST ;) lol

To make a long story short, RMA MSI x58 platinum, looking at another week to have my mobo in. Going for the Gigabyte, learned my lesson lol

Nothing at all when you tried to turn it on? Fans/lights?

Did you try it with nothing but 1 DIMM / no drives / no extra cards / no case?

A lot of people who initially reported problems with this board were having trouble with the memory compatibility, but sometimes it was only the slot position.

Nothing at all when you tried to turn it on? Fans/lights?

Did you try it with nothing but 1 DIMM / no drives / no extra cards / no case?

A lot of people who initially reported problems with this board were having trouble with the memory compatibility, but sometimes it was only the slot position.

Nah, it would light up for about a half a second then turn right back off. I was aware of all the mem issues and they were all if you got memory faster than the 1333. Tried all slot combinations and everything else known to man as well lol. I'm a full time pc tech so troubleshooting is my forte. Its ok, the board was open box so i was taking a risk anyway. Will be purchasing the evga x58 board once my return clears.

Having a problem with GA-EX58-UD5.

I'm using Boot-123 disc to install Retail Leopard. Once I put the retail disc in, it starts loading files off of the retail disc, then goes to the gray mac screen with the apple logo for a quick second and then my machine restarts.

I thought maybe it was my AHCI mode since I had it set to RAID... I turned it back to AHCI and tried the process again, but no luck. I still get the restart.

I'm reading success stories here, have people been successful installing off of a disc and then applying kexts?

When I had the GA-EP35-DS4 it worked pretty much OOB, but there were so many automated DS4 installers that did everything for you.

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks!

Andy

Having a problem with GA-EX58-UD5.

I'm using Boot-123 disc to install Retail Leopard. Once I put the retail disc in, it starts loading files off of the retail disc, then goes to the gray mac screen with the apple logo for a quick second and then my machine restarts.

I thought maybe it was my AHCI mode since I had it set to RAID... I turned it back to AHCI and tried the process again, but no luck. I still get the restart.

I'm reading success stories here, have people been successful installing off of a disc and then applying kexts?

When I had the GA-EP35-DS4 it worked pretty much OOB, but there were so many automated DS4 installers that did everything for you.

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks!

Andy

Yep, either a Retail disk with Boot-132 or from a distro install (like Kalyway) to another HD. If your Boot-132 disk is using voodoo kernel, you must specify busratio=20 during boot. If unsure, boot the retail disk in verbose mode to find where the boot process stops.

Hi yall,

I just finished reading through the whole 31 pages, phew :)

Congrats to all though, really amazing what's been accomplished so far!

I'm a longtime Mac user and recently I got a dell studio xps core i7 with vista for x-mas (i know :D )

Since I'm not really going to start using windows, I was wondering if it would be possible to install OS X on it...?

On the HCL for 10.5.2 I've seen quite a few dell's that people succeeded in putting OS X on.

So after reading all yer trials and tribbleations, I started looking for the MB specs... hard to find.

I figured out it's a mATX X58 MB, but can't figure out the OEM.

Anyway, do yall think it's at all possible to install a functioning and stable OS X on this machine?

I have some experience with the nitty gritty side of computers and am not afraid to get my hands dirty, although the report of drivers wrecking hardware earlier in this topic did scare me a bit. Wouldn't want to fry the machine...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

DW

Hi yall,

I just finished reading through the whole 31 pages, phew :D

Congrats to all though, really amazing what's been accomplished so far!

I'm a longtime Mac user and recently I got a dell studio xps core i7 with vista for x-mas (i know ;) )

Since I'm not really going to start using windows, I was wondering if it would be possible to install OS X on it...?

On the HCL for 10.5.2 I've seen quite a few dell's that people succeeded in putting OS X on.

So after reading all yer trials and tribbleations, I started looking for the MB specs... hard to find.

I figured out it's a mATX X58 MB, but can't figure out the OEM.

Anyway, do yall think it's at all possible to install a functioning and stable OS X on this machine?

I have some experience with the nitty gritty side of computers and am not afraid to get my hands dirty, although the report of drivers wrecking hardware earlier in this topic did scare me a bit. Wouldn't want to fry the machine...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

DW

Well, first thing is if you have Vista installed, check the Hardware device manager and make a list of the chipsets that you have (LAN, Audio, SATA, etc...). Then check/search the forums for compatibility with those chipsets. If you find out that they are supported, go ahead and give it a go. I have not heard of anyone with the Dell Studio XPS i7 installing OSx86 yet, so you may be a first. Don't worry about "wrecking your hardware" just from installing Mac OS... I have never damaged hardware with software, and I am very suspect of that in the first place.

Complete OSX86 On Intel i7 920 Guide

For those that might be considering getting an Intel i7 based Hackintosh, here is my complete success story with details ;) Everything works under OS X. This motherboard and processor are really fast when encoding h264 ;)

Hardware List:

- Motherboard: GigaByte GA-EX58-UD5. (Bios version F3). (2 x 1 GB Ethernet, Firewire 400, max 24 GB mem) (There are 3 FireWire connectors on the motherboard, but 2 of them are just internal connectors on the board and need the Gigabyte Accessory: S/N:12CF1-1IE008-01R if you want to use them. Notice that the FireWire - connectors on the Accessory are not the usual big FireWire 400 connectors, but smaller (Needs special cables).

- Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2,66GHz Boxed (The included cooler is very quiet).

- Ram: Kingston ValueRam 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1066MHz CL7 (KVR1066D3N7K3/6G)

- Graphics: ASUS GF 8400GS SIL PCIE 512MB 64BIT DDR2 (Passive Cooling, DirectX10, OpenGL 2.0, 512 MB Ram, HDCP, TV-Out, DVI, VGA, Core Image + Quartz Extreme support = Both OK, Max. Resolution 2560x1600)

- Computer Case: Antec Sonata III 500w (Very silent power + case).

- Hard Disk: 250 GB Seagate SATA Hard Disk.

- Bluetooth: MSI PC2PC-Bluetooth Transceiving Key (MS-6967-010) Bluetooth Wireless Adapter. (Not a very good device, needs to be in line of sight to work properly, but then works ok. OS X native support (OS X sees the device as Cambridge Silicon Radio)).

- BluRay SATA Burner: Lite-On DH-4B1S DVD+/-RW ja BD-RE (Native OS X Burning Supported).

- Monitor: Sony TV KDL32W4000 used as computer monitor (Connected via DVI -> HDMI Cable. OS X allows to set resolution to 1920x1080p 50 Hz (PAL), fonts look a bit bad though, don't know why).

- I bought the original OS X 10.5 Install disk also, just to support Apple, but I installed iAtkos 5i (10.5.5).

Bios Configuration (Bios version F3):

MB Intelligent Tweaker / Advanced CPU Features

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Intel Turbo Boost Tech: Enabled (This enables Intel i7 feature that dynamically overclocks active cores when some cores are idle = automatically boosts single thread application performance without exceeding processor heat limits).

- CPU Cores Enabled: All

- Processor Multithreading: Enabled (This is HyperThreading and works really well on i7, you may expect 23% faster operation when encoding h264 video with handbrake 0.9.3 with HyperThreading enabled).

- CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Disabled (My power supply starts to emit whining noices if this is enabled. OS X works though ok when enabled. Noices are propably generated when processor cores go in and out of power savings mode thousands of times in a second and this creates frequences in the electric current that are emitted through the power supply).

- C3/C6/C7 State Support: Enabled

- CPU Thermal Monitor: Enabled

- CPU EIST Function: Enabled

- Virtualization Technology: Enabled

- Bi-Directional PROHOC: Enabled

Standard CMOS Features

--------------------------------------

- Drive A: None

- Floppy 3 Mode Support: Disabled

Integrated Peripherals

---------------------------------

- SATA RAID/AHCI Mode: AHCI

- SATA Port0-3 Native Mode: Disabled

- USB 1.0 Controller: Enabled

- USB 2.0 Controller: Enabled

- USB Keyboard Function: Enabled

- USB Mouse Function: Enabled

- USB Storage Function: Enabled

- Azalia Codec: Auto

- Onboard H/W 1394: Enabled

- Onboard H/W LAN1: Enabled

- Onboard H/W LAN2: Enabled

- Green LAN: Enabled

- Onboard SATA/IDE Device: Enabled

- Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode: IDE (Somebody on this forum said that: Setting this to AHCI prevented boot from hard drive or dvd drive)

Advance Bios Features

-----------------------------------

- Delay For HDD Sec: 3 (Sometimes the F3 Bios does not recognize my SATA BluRay when booting, the delay helps)

iAtkos 5i (OS X 10.5.5) Installation (Select these options)

- iAtkos v5i Main System

- Bootloader / PC EFI V9

- X86 Patches / Decrypters / AppleDecrypt

- X86 Patches / SMBIOS Drivers / SMBios Enablers / SMBios EFI

- X86 Patches / 9.5.0 Kernel Fassl (Note !!!!!!! Do not use the "Voodoo" Kernel, it has a bug that makes System Clock and video playback go too fast. Also HyperThreading enabled h264 video encoding under Voodoo Kernel seems to perform poorly compared to Fassl (Not sure if this is true, since clock is advancing too fast under Voodoo, it might be that encoding applications think that the throughput (fps) is lower that it really is).

- X86 Patches / ACPI / Stock ACPI Modified

- X86 Patches / Disabler.kext

- X86 Patches / OHR (Without this system shutdown doesn't work properly).

- Drivers / VGA / NVidia / NVKush

- Drivers / VGA / NVidia / EFI Strings For NVidia / 8xxx / 8400 GS 512 MB

- Drivers / System / SATA IDE / Intel AHCI Sata

- Drivers / System / ext2fs (This is not needed if you do not plan to read Linux formatted disks)

- Drivers / System / Ntfs-3G (This is not needed if you do no need NTFS Write support)

- Drivers / Network / Realtek R1000

Getting Audio to work

Audio does not work after installing iAtkos 5i, a patched AppleHDA.kext is needed. I used the driver from "Digital Dreamers" package (http://idisk.mac.com/digital_dreamer/Public/Hackintosh_Core_i7/EFI_Installer_GA-EX58-UD5.zip).

The driver and install script are attached here "EX58_UD5_Audio_Driver.zip".

- First enable the root user: Start "Directory Utility" ( / Applications / Utilities / Directory Utility )

- Click the "lock" - icon on the bottom left part of the window, give administrator's name and password

- Click "Edit / Enable Root User", give a password for root

- Open "EX58-UD5_Audio_Driver.zip" by double clicking on it.

- Double click the file "Install_Audio_Driver.command" in the directory "EX58-UD5_Audio_Driver"

- A Terminal window opens asking for root's password, give the password and press Enter

- Reboot

- Audio Driver should work now.

If you want to undo the installation, just remove "AppleHDA.kext" and rename "AppleHDA.kext.orig" to "AppleHDA.kext". The files are in "/System/Library/Extensions".

Ethernet

If Ethernet does not work when booting the first time, try switching the cable to the other connector. Ethernet should get recogniced when you change connectors.

It has been reported on the net that some Realtek 1 Gb Ethernet controllers had a bug in their firmware that corrupts data. GigaByte GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard has Realtek 1 Gb Ethernet, so you might want to test for this bug by transferring a couple of Gigabytes through the network and compare the files for corruption. The motherboard is quite new, so the Realtek chip might already have fixed firmware.

Bios version F3

There is a newer version of bios on Gigabyte's site (F4), but I haven't upgraded in fear that something might stop working. The most notable annoyance in bios F3 so far that I have noticed, is that warm reboot is very slow and feels a bit broken. Sometimes the motherboard won't boot from a DVD after a warm boot. Fortunately this is easy to avoid by not using reboot, instead shut down the motherboard (to standby), wait 10 - 15 seconds and restart.

Edit: I updated my bios to F4 as Wolfienuke suggested. Everything is working ok. Now my Sata BluRay burner is recognized in every boot, and the warm reboot glitches seems all a thing of the past. Upgrading to F4 is strongly recommended :D

- First enable the root user: Start "Directory Utility" ( / Applications / Utilities / Directory Utility )

- Click the "lock" - icon on the bottom left part of the window, give administrator's name and password

- Click "Edit / Enable Root User", give a password for root

I wouldn't advise this. I don't know why you say this is even required. Anything that may need root privileges can just use sudo command.

There is a newer version of bios on Gigabyte's site (F4), but I haven't upgraded in fear that something might stop working. The most notable annoyance in bios F3 so far that I have noticed, is that warm reboot is very slow and feels a bit broken. Sometimes the motherboard won't boot from a DVD after a warm boot. Fortunately this is easy to avoid by not using reboot, instead shut down the motherboard (to standby), wait 10 - 15 seconds and restart.

I would suggest flashing the bios. It's very easy. You may just need to clear the CMOS and set your BIOS settings again. You will also be given the chance to backup your BIOS before flashing.

- X86 Patches / 9.5.0 Kernel Fassl (Note !!!!!!! Do not use the "Voodoo" Kernel, it has a bug that makes System Clock and video playback go too fast. Also HyperThreading enabled h264 video encoding under Voodoo Kernel seems to perform poorly compared to Fassl (Not sure if this is true, since clock is advancing too fast under Voodoo, it might be that encoding applications think that the throughput (fps) is lower that it really is).

Anyone else have this issue? I am currently using the Voodoo kernel and have not noticed this.

Thanks for your comments Wolfienuke :)

I wasn't aware that sudo works without activating root first. I often do stuff with my computer which needs root priviledges, so I just always automatically enable root after installation.

I see that you have the same motherboard as I, have you got the F4 bios, and is everything still working ok ?

Thanks for your comments Wolfienuke :)

I wasn't aware that sudo works without activating root first. I often do stuff with my computer which needs root priviledges, so I just always automatically enable root after installation.

I see that you have the same motherboard as I, have you got the F4 bios, and is everything still working ok ?

Yes, me and Digital Dreamer both flashed the BIOS with F4 and despite having to clear the CMOS and resetting the BIOS setting, everything is fine.

I also had issues with freezing at the SATA detection screen with the F3 BIOS which does not happen with the F4.

i enable the root user so i can add stuff to the extensions folder on the EFI partition without using terminal.... perhaps im lazy...

by the way i also use the audio drivers for the audigy 2, and i cannot get parallels or vmware to work...

ethernet is a {censored} pain! not sure why mine seems to be really {censored}...