XP on an imac, up and booting (no joke this time)

Noved84

356 posts in this topic

Yeah, that's as easy as downloading the proper driver from marvel yukon and you're done.

Now, what bothers me is the video driver. I thought ATI made a custom firmware to interface with EFI. That must have been hacked too, so will they be able to install the usual catalyst drivers?

The purpose of a graphic card firmware is to initialize it. That's why the ATI firmware on the iMac must be made for EFI as a BIOS compatible firmware wouldn't run otherwise (as Apple didn't even provided CSM).

So the firmware have no importance at all for the OS, the driver don't take car of it at all. It's useful to initialize the card before starting the OS, so that the stuff displayed before the OS loads its own driver can be displayed.

In a nutshell: The OS driver is "firmware type independant". The graphic card could have had an Open Firmware verison of its firmware, the OS driver would have loaded as well without any problem.

That's one more Macbook Pro sale for Apple! (And since Vista doesn't support EFI, nor has the new command line interface or the new filesystem, I'll keep using my old XP Home license, and that's one less sale for Microsoft for now.)

YAY! I made the test program...but I'm stuck at work :) Oh well I'll test when I get home. Also for the sake of the contest even though I wasn't a big fan I won't explain what is done till after its cleared. I doubt they want us to broadcast the instructions yet.

The purpose of a graphic card firmware is to initialize it. That's why the ATI firmware on the iMac must be made for EFI as a BIOS compatible firmware wouldn't run otherwise (as Apple didn't even provided CSM).

So the firmware have no importance at all for the OS, the driver don't take car of it at all. It's useful to initialize the card before starting the OS, so that the stuff displayed before the OS loads its own driver can be displayed.

In a nutshell: The OS driver is "firmware type independant". The graphic card could have had an Open Firmware verison of its firmware, the OS driver would have loaded as well without any problem.

Thanks for the explanation. Could this explain why some hardware (soundcards mainly) can't be properly initialized in OSx86?

So if narf accepts the reward, will he have to release his workarounds free?

Also, when should we see the solution?

that's the point of the contest, and thats why people were willing to donate money.

not trying to be rude or anything

I can't get to the video through Vimeo, or through the direct link.

I smell trickery.

http://www.projectosx86.org/winonmac.mov

copy that into your web browser and it will work, unless your behind some type network with a filter that won't let multimedia content through your browser.

.:: Edit ::.

Holy {censored} this link got out there quickly... 2600 hits in the last 30 minutes... (9.5gb of bandwidth)

Let it be said that according to the video, Windows is running on an intel iMac, but it is not dual booting; you can only boot windows. So, it probably doesn't fulfill the contest's requirements.

that's what the testing is for.....think with your head, people

YAY! I made the test program...but I'm stuck at work :) Oh well I'll test when I get home. Also for the sake of the contest even though I wasn't a big fan I won't explain what is done till after its cleared. I doubt they want us to broadcast the instructions yet.

I'm curious about a few elements-- mainly, does it require a certain version of XP, can parts of the process be automated, etc.

My MacBook Pro arrived today but then I'll be gone camping for the weekend-- who knows, maybe I'll be using XP and OS X side by side from the get-go :D

Or the USB drive is the key...stick it in, Windows boots. Pull it out, OSX.

i would like that. its the way osx86 used to be set up on my laptop, before the dma was fixed and osx actually became useful. imagine an external disk faster than an internal....

o well, imac now.

Pika, can you report on driver compatibility (video, sound, wireless network)? maybe run a game or two and see if the Mac is able to run it without any problems.

Also, do you need to make any major modifications to Windows itself? or is the modifications done before you put the Windows CD in?

another thing, do you know how the MacBook Pro testers are doing? is the procedure the same across the board?