XP on an imac, up and booting (no joke this time)

Noved84

356 posts in this topic

i hope when all is said and done he creates some kind of package to make the installation a little easier on those (ie me) who dont feel comfortable editing vast ammounts of system code

Ahem.... no one mentions that it just might be an image viewed at full screen? Even video can be doctored. It can be done with after effects with minimal effort. Even a "faked" handheld video. Here's how you could do it.

1 lcd monitor would have the windows install on it, place it right where the imac is, and record a video on a tripod. Next, place the imac there and record it under the exact conditions.

Using simple crop mask you can graft it over it, and then move the entire frame arounda little to make it seem handheld. Since you are uploading to internet, lower res isn't as noticeable.

In other words, until the results are reproducable, It's not easy to believe.

i hope when all is said and done he creates some kind of package to make the installation a little easier on those (ie me) who dont feel comfortable editing vast ammounts of system code

I don't see microsoft being to keen on that, given he has stated he hacked ntldr :-)

How come people who have the technical know-how to get Windows to boot on a Mac don't ever seem to have the capacity to work their own digital cameras?

:hysterical:

One thing interesting I noticed in that booted up picture ~ there's something on the bottom right hand side of the screen that looks similar to how Microsoft designates beta builds of Windows. I have no idea why it's there, maybe Narf is just testing his method with a beta build of XP...who knows

Another thing, I wonder if there's full driver support because ATI uses a different videocard firmware for Mac. If dual boot works perfectly, I'll probably just use Windows XP as the gaming OS and OS X as the normal day to day work OS.

I think it has been well established that this "could" have been a photoshop job or some other form of trickery but given narf's status on the dual booting effort that's very unlikely. It looks like it has been done. Now all us mere mortals have to wait for him to verify his method and release it.

Like everyone out there who has gotten either an iMac or MBP core duo I am chomping at the bit to be able to get a dual boot solution.

I sincerely hope Narf has cracked it and I think it is probable. Can't see why he would wait this long then releasse a photoshopped image (could have done that months ago).

What worries me is that the final solution will involve messing with Windows XP loader or kernel. That to me would be an unacceptable solution as this will break all copy rights. We need a solution which allows installing windows XP, Vista or whatever from original cd/dvd without any messing. This would not vioalte any copyright agreements (provided you own the software).

The final solution has to be a form of CSM whether. I have trashed my mac several times trying different options and I do actually feel fairly confident it's not outside of our reach.

Anyway lets keep our heads up, keep on working on a solution in case Narf hasn't cracked it and by the way if you all send me money I can create a competition then shut my site down near the end of it.

We are all working to this competition but are we really sure that the competition is really real ?

Whose to say the competition is not a scam... The owner of the site could be happy swanning off with your $12k right now laughing at us.

I suggest we all get on with it and try and resolve it by sharing, open source etc.

It is do-able (Nothing in life is impossible). But let's not sit back and wait for it to happen, lets make it happen.