XP on an imac, up and booting (no joke this time)

Noved84

356 posts in this topic

Even Tho it has windows on it the boot selector has Mac style! :)

This is some awesome stuff!

Guess who just ordered a iMac :D

another thing, is the procedure generic enough to allow for installation of lets say Windows Vista if you want to? or is it customized only for XP? Could you potentially upgrade XP to Vista?

That is an awesome boot selector interface!

So far it looks to me like its customized to work on XP.

No luck so far for me on a 20" iMac, but blanka is working on it.

Unfortunatly I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

Once I began the Windows Install. I completely FUBAR'ed the Win partition so upon reboot it just crashed.

Trying again from scratch. We'll see.

Out of curiosity, is the process " files you download and use a regular xp install cd" ? I was reading that there was possibly a modified Kernel floating around there. Any info on this without giving too much away?

I notice in the last picture that AirmanPika posted that even the SMBus is not correctly matched up to a driver. I got to thinking earlier about "chipset" drivers and how for most "modern" machines, you have to install chipset drivers to control all of the basic motherboard functionality: IDE/SATA channel, power management, USB2, etc. Without these drivers, the system runs like {censored} and is unstable. Any thought about whether that is needed or not here?

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009247.htm

The Intel Mac's use Intel 945 chipset, so try installing that

actually, before you do that, i would run their diagnostic utility to double check that it is a compatible 945 chipset (should be)

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...x?ProductID=861

Intel puts out the Intel Chipset Installiation Utility. This is a unified ( mostly ) set of drivers that works with most all Intel chipsets that arent nativley supported out of the box by Windows.

Yea the standard catalyst drivers don't work on the 17" imac either. Gonna try the Omega ones to see if that helps any.

I had thought that there was specialized x1600 XT drivers for Windows so that people wouldn't have to wait. Look 'em up and see if those will work.

Well the Omega drivers seem to sorta work. My videocard says its an M56 now but video is still laggy so I dunno if it did much. www.omegadrivers.net btw

That's it!! It's the Mobility X1600. Why this was never expressed by Apple is beyond me. M56 is the mobility chip. You could try to install the mobility Catalyst drivers from ATI's site to see if they work. I think it give an error about OEMs (apparently they only "support" certain manufactuers with those drivers) but you could probably get around that by extracting the package yourself.