XP on an imac, up and booting (no joke this time)

Noved84

356 posts in this topic

I couldn't get in to the "Official" forum, so here are 3 more questions:

I gather that it will run on it's own partition. Is there any way to share files between the two OSs?

How long does it take to boot in each OS?

Will the iSight camera work?

Any benchmarks yet?

"I gather that it will run on it's own partition. Is there any way to share files between the two OSs?"

"macdrive": a program that allows to mount HFS+ partitions under windows.

www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

For that company a whole new market has just opened up :-)

"I gather that it will run on it's own partition. Is there any way to share files between the two OSs?"

"macdrive": a program that allows to mount HFS+ partitions under windows.

www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

For that company a whole new market has just opened up :-)

I wonder if it's possible to make a 3rd partition and call it drop box? Both read a Fat32, right?

Basically, if you aren't the one who did the install yourself, chances are you won't know there are multiple OSes there on the machine unless it's immediately apparent, and you might be a little puzzled when it sits there and won't boot on its own. :D

In my opinion, I do not want to see a Windows logo when booting my mac. If you can't figure out how to chose what OS you want, then too bad for you. Not trying to be a d***, but I would seriously feel dirty seeing the ugly a** windows logo when booting my mac. No joke. :2cents:

In my opinion, I do not want to see a Windows logo when booting my mac. If you can't figure out how to chose what OS you want, then too bad for you. Not trying to be a d***, but I would seriously feel dirty seeing the ugly a** windows logo when booting my mac. No joke. :2cents:

I think I see where you're coming from, but in my own opinion, even though it represents a horrible OS-wannabe, the current Windows logo is quite simple, well-designed (do you remember the old one?! GAH) and reasonably aesthetically pleasing, and is easily and quickly recognized by its shape which is very important for a logo.

Besides that, though, if Apple took that stance, it wouldn't even be as easy to use as Windows XP. If you plugged in an MP3 player other than an iPod (gawsp), it wouldn't mount on the desktop without you having to go into Terminal. Macs wouldn't be able to read FAT32 drives and partitions, because they would be too "repulsed" by the idea of rubbing shoulders with Windows in such a fashion. But the way it is now, Mac OS X does all that without the user having to worry about being required to do something even remotely complicated, and that's part of the charm of a Mac.

I think a UI shouldn't make something more difficult when it doesn't have to, that's all. Catering to the lowest (or lower) denominator isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it makes it easier for everyone. And...um...if you dislike seeing Windows that much, why install it on your beautiful Mac? :D :D

Edit: Actually, I understand that some people simply hate Windows but have to use it anyway. If the one-icon-at-a-time approach is important, for whatever reason, why not at least add simple arrows to indicate more choices if the user presses the corresponding arrow key?

post-28919-1142529788_thumb.gif

I rather like the current bootloader that's included with the patch... It's new, unique, original, and sweet! Can't you just imagine what people will think and say when you pull out your computer and up or down arrow key to select what OS you want? Pictures changing and everything...

Just my opinion though... it's going opensource so you can always add your own thing to it (maybe as a choice too).

P.S. The aforementioned site now has a .torrent on it for download (you just have to delete the .mov extension once it's downloaded...)

Now that XP can be booted on an Intel Mac, I am surprised no one else has pointed out the possibility of installing Windows Media Center Edition 2005 on an Intel Mac!

MCE 2005 is based on Windows XP Pro SP2 so this would seem a distinct possibility. MCE 2005 is also the best currently available PVR application for any operating system (despite the crass stupidity of Microsoft :2cents:still not supporting DVB-S or DVB-C connections).

As the Mac mini ever since its launch has been considered an ideal platform for a PVR or HTPC system, combining the Intel Mac mini with MCE 2005 is almost a match made in heaven. Not only is the mini actually quite cheap for a HTPC, its appearance would blend in well, and most importantly it is quiet!

Does anyone have access to an MCE 2005 install disk to try using it with Narf's instructions?

This method DID NOT work for my MacBook - can anyone help...please!

I followed the directions to a T - when I got to the install xp step my partition table looked like this:

C: partition 1 (efi) [fat32] 200mb

unpartitioned space 47698 <-- this was the ms-dos part I created with disk util!

E: partition2 (unknown) 47370mb <--i'm guessing my osx partition

unpartitioned space 126mb

So, like a fool I picked the 2nd one and partitioned (which I immediately read not to do in the instructions) so of course when I got to the reboot phase, the bootloader couldn't find it.

Then, I started over from scratch, reformatted, reinstalled osx, the whole deal, I get back to the step above and my part table looks exactly the same! WTF?

Don't know why, tried a third time, same thing.

How do I get my partitions to look like the instructions? I followed them exactly and it didn't work!

Can anybody help? I'd sure love to get rid of my inspiron....

Do you mean MacBook Pro? Then, is supposed to work

You must create a new

You must have a HFS+ and a FAT32 partition, the instructions are clear in that

If you have problems follow de detailed step-by-step instructions, instead of more general ones

i see your point lockwood, but the point of getting windows to boot on a mac was more so that those of us who cant stand windows (or the pc itself) could still have our macs as our primary or only machines and when we had to run the odd program we could just reboot and pop up an autocad drawing or something.

but now that the workarounds for xp sp2 are available those who are interested can try stuff like that.

isnt wmce available as an update to xp? it may just be as simple as installing xp then plugging in the wmce disk to run the upgrade.