XP on an imac, up and booting (no joke this time)

Noved84

356 posts in this topic

are there any video hurdles with the mac mini running winxp considering it uses integrated graphics hardware versus a dedicated video card (ie. ati x1600)?

the mini is working i am not sure of the details but if u check back to around page 10 -12 you will find that someone talks about the mini.. the drivers will be sorted if there is any problems.. it is a common card on windows systems evidently

I congratulate you. This is fantastic.

I can't wait to sell my PC and dual-boot with my iMac 17-inch Core Duo.

I just hope it won't be too terribly difficult. I also wonder if I'll need to buy a Windows XP disk with SP2. My disk is older, and it doesn't have SP2, and I doubt this would install without SP2. :whistle: I also wonder if Home will install or only Pro.

I guess we'll get more answers tomorrow. :idea:

973 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users 38 Members

cmon, lets hit that Thousand guest mark! tell your friends!

Well if somebody posted something of interest we might be able to keep the numbers up :whistle:

Personally, I'd like to know about the problems that the 20" iMac is facing (since I own one myself), is it simply video driver issues or is there more to it than that?

DTG

Well if somebody posted something of interest we might be able to keep the numbers up :whistle:

Personally, I'd like to know about the problems that the 20" iMac is facing (since I own one myself), is it simply video driver issues or is there more to it than that?

DTG

what else could it be what is different from the 17" the drive size the video card (though i dont know what is different doesn't it just have more ram ?)

anything else?

This is an incredible thing you've done. I applaud you, along with so many others!

One thing, though. I hate to be nitpicky, but in terms of the OS chooser's interface, I think one thing could use improvement. Right now, if I'm not mistaken, the user is simply presented with an Apple logo on their screen and they have to either press Enter to boot into Mac OS X, or down and enter to boot into Windows XP. So how would that user, not having read any documentation (you know how we hate that), know to use the arrow keys to select a different OS, or even that there is another one to be selected?

What I think should be done — if possible, I have no idea how easy or hard it would be — is both icons should be displayed on-screen at once, either horizontally or vertically, and a selection rectangle should be visible around the currently selected OS. (Maybe with rounded corners, reminiscent of OS X's Alt-Tab switcher.) This would more clearly convey that "this computer has more than one OS on it, and to choose a different one you should press an arrow key to highlight the OS you want to use."

No offense meant, though. It's already beautiful and sublimely simple, just as Apple might've done it.

Having just registered here a few minutes ago, please let me know if I should've posted this elsewhere.

This is an incredible thing you've done. I applaud you, along with so many others!

One thing, though. I hate to be nitpicky, but in terms of the OS chooser's interface, I think one thing could use improvement. Right now, if I'm not mistaken, the user is simply presented with an Apple logo on their screen and they have to either press Enter to boot into Mac OS X, or down and enter to boot into Windows XP. So how would that user, not having read any documentation (you know how we hate that), know to use the arrow keys to select a different OS, or even that there is another one to be selected?

What I think should be done — if possible, I have no idea how easy or hard it would be — is both icons should be displayed on-screen at once, either horizontally or vertically, and a selection rectangle should be visible around the currently selected OS. (Maybe with rounded corners, reminiscent of OS X's Alt-Tab switcher.) This would more clearly convey that "this computer has more than one OS on it, and to choose a different one you should press an arrow key to highlight the OS you want to use."

No offense meant, though. It's already beautiful and sublimely simple, just as Apple might've done it.

Having just registered here a few minutes ago, please let me know if I should've posted this elsewhere.

I was thinking about a similar idea. But, if you were to go through all the work to actually get XP running on an intel mac, wouldn't you think you'd be more than mentally capable of handling a situation such as selecting which OS to boot from the boot screen?

What about an OSX, XP, Linux -- triple boot?!

I was thinking about a similar idea. But, if you were to go through all the work to actually get XP running on an intel mac, wouldn't you think you'd be more than mentally capable of handling a situation such as selecting which OS to boot from the boot screen?

What about an OSX, XP, Linux -- triple boot?!

i tend to agree.... down with the clutter! :whistle:

I agree that anyone who follows the steps and does the installation themselves will know there are 2 OSes, but one should account for several possible scenarios when one is designing a UI. :whistle: Let's say you buy an Intel-based iBook (or MacBook, as they may be called) for your girlfriend for Christmas, and install Windows on it for her. Obviously you can tell her it has OS X and Windows on it (cue oohing and aahing :P ), but it should be readily apparent to her what to do to boot into either OS when she turns it on. Otherwise, you might get a few calls on your cell phone at inopportune times asking "how do I start Windows again? I can't see it..."

Or maybe (big maybe, har har) your company gets you an Intel-based Mac with OS X and Windows already set up on it. If you aren't privy to the whole project here, and of course many people won't be, you should still be able to get up and running reasonably quickly with minimal direction.

Basically, if you aren't the one who did the install yourself, chances are you won't know there are multiple OSes there on the machine unless it's immediately apparent, and you might be a little puzzled when it sits there and won't boot on its own. :idea:

Hey if narf or clay or any of the other testers are still having issues with getting proper drivers for the ATI Mobility X1600 I suggest they take a short trip over to:

http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati.php

And grab the Omega ATI drivers which are *supposed* to install on any mobility ATI chipset from M6 (aka really damn old) and up. However I dont have an Intel Mac to confirm this as working but the guy who packages the drivers is a sharp guy and he might be able to help package a set of ATI drivers just for the Mac perhaps if it turns out hacking the driver is required.

Hope this helps with this puzzle piece guys!

I get your point. To be honest, i'd rather have it only show the apple logo upon boot to show that it really is an apple at heart versus the illegitimate hybrid child of a windows and apple machine.

And besides, i think it's rather cool to have the window's symbol hidden. makes me feel sneaky.

I get your point. To be honest, i'd rather have it only show the apple logo upon boot to show that it really is an apple at heart versus the illegitimate hybrid child of a windows and apple machine.

I heartily agree with your sentiment. :whistle: Of course, the icon for OS X would still be selected by default. Maybe the icons should be done in flat grey like the OS X boot? ...Unless people feel more colour is better in the bootloader icons...

Edit: Here's a mockup of what I was talking about, with grey icons to go with OS X's boot screen. (Come to think of it, XP's boot screen can be customized, too...maybe with the grey Widows logo :idea:)

post-28919-1142497685_thumb.gif

Hey if narf or clay or any of the other testers are still having issues with getting proper drivers for the ATI Mobility X1600 I suggest they take a short trip over to:

http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati.php

And grab the Omega ATI drivers which are *supposed* to install on any mobility ATI chipset from M6 (aka really damn old) and up. However I dont have an Intel Mac to confirm this as working but the guy who packages the drivers is a sharp guy and he might be able to help package a set of ATI drivers just for the Mac perhaps if it turns out hacking the driver is required.

Hope this helps with this puzzle piece guys!

Sofar the omega drivers don't work as is. They were the first thing I tried after the regular cats. Hopefully someone will figure something out but for now....I sleep!

I don't have my Mac Book yet but has anyone tried to extract the ati drivers and edit the vendor string revision? the Subsys_xxxxx below can be left off. I do this when I have trouble with new broadcom driver revision in dos. we would just need to know the vendor string information for the chip in the laptop. Can someone bring up WinMSD from the run box and give me the full PCI/Vender strings for the items needing drivers? The display should be under components, PCI string will be toward the top on the right.

The vendor string will stay the same, the Dev and the subsys will probably change.

%Mobility128% 2X (DELL) = atimtai_DELL, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C46&SUBSYS_00B01028

:) in power pc macs the graphics cards have a different bios than their pc brothers. In order to use a mac video card in a pc or vice versa you had to flash it's bios. This is probably the reason that the drivers are not working.

The omega drivers work just not very well, so the base code is pretty much the same. As I noted first and foremost we need the full PCI Vender strings from WinMSD so we know what we are dealing with. From there the INI file for the retail cat drivers can be edited and tried. Also once you have this string if any other machine is using the same version we can find it on the web...

I spend about 90 some hours a week at times working on things like this for my company (No not Macs) but things like this come up all the time in development, of the deployment system we have written. First and fore most we need to know the strings to in sure we know what we are dealing with...

Can some one please see if they are at least reporting in WinMSD? I will do what I can to help I just don't have my 2.16 yet...

couple of questions...

Will this work with pre XP versions of Windows or Vista ?

Is there an eta for when the details will be released(yeah i know its probably been asked already)

very much looking forward to trying it on my intel imac

Thanks

couple of questions...

Will this work with pre XP versions of Windows or Vista ?

Is there an eta for when the details will be released(yeah i know its probably been asked already)

very much looking forward to trying it on my intel imac

Thanks

Solution is expected to be up by tomorrow (later today, rather). As for pre-XP or Vista, I'm not aware of any solutions that have been made public as of yet.