XP on an imac, up and booting (no joke this time)

Noved84

356 posts in this topic

What about an applescript to make a dmg out of the Windows CD (using OS X Disk Utility) and replace the files and add /replace the files on the image

I agree ... what needs to be worked towards is an idiot proof, OSX only system install.

What I mean is something that a non Windows user could do if alls they had was an Intel Mac, no PC and very limited knowledge.

Run the program and just be promted at the right time to insert the windows cd and then a blank DVD etc etc.. you get the picture..

That way it will work for every user no matter what their background. It would only require a Mac to do and very little knowledge.

Got it working on my dual-core Mac mini. Take a look at the System Properties and all the missing drivers from Device Manager!

Edit: Sorry for the tiny screenshot. I've included a larger one and increased contrast to help with reading.

post-161-1142569550_thumb.jpg

I agree ... what needs to be worked towards is an idiot proof, OSX only system install.

What I mean is something that a non Windows user could do if alls they had was an Intel Mac, no PC and very limited knowledge.

Run the program and just be promted at the right time to insert the windows cd and then a blank DVD etc etc.. you get the picture..

That way it will work for every user no matter what their background. It would only require a Mac to do and very little knowledge.

AMEN BRUTHAH! Someone's thinking on the same wavelength as I am, that's great. :( As much hardcore expertise has gone — and will continue to go — into this project, let me emphasize this, the project's goal should be to enable ordinary users to install and dual-boot Windows XP on their Intel-based Mac, even those users with dubious proficiency with computers. Experts in the areas involved in this project are invaluable, but not every one will be able to help every person who wants to install Windows on their Mac, but isn't a tech guru themselves. The solution is to make it so easy that they can do it themselves, without any help. It will take a great amount of work, but it's very much worth it — and hey, it was no small feat to get as far as you have!

If any help is needed with UI/icon/graphic design in terms of making some kind of setup wizard (I'm pretty sure the standard Installer app doesn't cover this stuff), I'd be more than happy to donate my efforts. I don't have much to showcase except a mockup GUI of a future Mac version of iPodWizard, but I'll tinker around.

AMEN BRUTHAH! Someone's thinking on the same wavelength as I am, that's great. :( As much hardcore expertise has gone — and will continue to go — into this project, let me emphasize this, the project's goal should be to enable ordinary users to install and dual-boot Windows XP on their Intel-based Mac, even those users with dubious proficiency with computers. Experts in the areas involved in this project are invaluable, but not every one will be able to help every person who wants to install Windows on their Mac, but isn't a tech guru themselves. The solution is to make it so easy that they can do it themselves, without any help. It will take a great amount of work, but it's very much worth it — and hey, it was no small feat to get as far as you have!

If any help is needed with UI/icon/graphic design in terms of making some kind of setup wizard (I'm pretty sure the standard Installer app doesn't cover this stuff), I'd be more than happy to donate my efforts. I don't have much to showcase except a mockup GUI of a future Mac version of iPodWizard, but I'll tinker around.

Cheers

Quite frankly if someone doesnt do this fairly quickly some commercial firm will do it and sell it and probably make a fair wack of cash. The open source side of things tend to be a bunch of very smart people who don't need it to this level of simplicity that Joe Average does. Qemu is a case in point. taking an open source project and repackaging it and charging for it. I am not happy about this sort of thing so thats why I am pushing this out there so the community can get onboard and do it.

I am pretty capable with PC systems but not a programmer and could install this with the current method if I had MBPro but really I am getting older and busier and dear I say lazier and want to keep things simple.. hence why I love OSX.. less stress !

It's fantastic that this has been achieved! :graduated: But ya'll look real foolish when something goes wrong with your Macs and you cary your wounded system in for tech support and get shot down!

Rumer within the retail stores is that the first store to have evidence of someone bringing in a system that was hosed by booting XP on a MAC and denied repair will post a photo of the hoser and it's machine on a public blog sight.

Oh, and setting this up for 'Ordinary Users" to install this on their Macs...heck, so many of these so called "Ordinary Users" lack the faculty to be able to set up their own email accounts, much less undo their dual boot problems. :poster_oops:

Now that would surely be a sight to behold! Have fun supporting your dual boots! :hysterical:

It's fantastic that this has been achieved! :graduated: But ya'll look real foolish when something goes wrong with your Macs and you cary your wounded system in for tech support and get shot down!

Rumer within the retail stores is that the first store to have evidence of someone bringing in a system that was hosed by booting XP on a MAC and denied repair will post a photo of the hoser and it's machine on a public blog sight.

Oh, and setting this up for 'Ordinary Users" to install this on their Macs...heck, so many of these so called "Ordinary Users" lack the faculty to be able to set up their own email accounts, much less undo their dual boot problems. :poster_oops:

Now that would surely be a sight to behold! Have fun supporting your dual boots! :hysterical:

Prophet of Doom..

I am glad we all gave up and this never happened

Part of what you just described is the approach Amit Singh is attempting to accomplish with BAMBIOS but it goes a step further; the main objective of that project is to boot and install with an unmodified installation CD and to be as non-disruptive as possible. There would be no need for patching and slipstreaming a new install disk. Their method will likely allow more flexibility in terms of partitioning as well as installing and multibooting other versions of Windows and Linux. They could also make the bootloader something like what Clay did with his graphical volume selector which will allow it to work the way it does now when pressing option at startup.

Yeah, no. While it's true that Apple will not support the setup and matinence of a dual boot system, it's not going to magically void your warranty. Otherwise the halfwits out there who rename their home folder, or somehow manage to delete their netinfo file would be denied support. As long as what ever they did, didn't permanently damage the system, it's going to be covered.

And what *damage* do you think can possible occur? If your install fails, use the restore disk your Mac came with. Couldn't be freaking easier.

It doesn't seem to modify the Apple EFI at all, if it did there would be a huge ATTEMPT AT YOUR OWN RISK plastered all over that read me. The only risk people are taking is down time having to reinstall OS X if the XP install fails.

You think so many people would eagerly jump the gun if it could *kill* their Mac?

Didn't mean to sound so negative, i sure wish i had a MBP to try it. Congrats to all and how about a more technical write up for us that can only watch? Blanka, can you please tell me what is your XP theme?

They could also make the bootloader something like what Clay did with his graphical volume selector which will allow it to work the way it does now when pressing option at startup.

Gah. OK, that bootloader's UI is almost exactly what I was envisioning for here. No hard drive icons, though. Yuck. :poster_oops: See my earlier post(s) on page whateverty-whatever (a couple back) with the GIF attachment(s).

Hey, congratulations. This is seriously awesome. It makes the next year and a half significantly more painful as I have to wait until I go away to college to get a MacBook Pro. But, great job, I can't wait to live a PeeCee free life.

Hey, congratulations. This is seriously awesome. It makes the next year and a half significantly more painful as I have to wait until I go away to college to get a MacBook Pro. But, great job, I can't wait to live a PeeCee free life.

Posts like this are hilarious to me...

The new Macs ARE PCs now... they use the same hardware (with a different firmware setup) and now they can run Windows too... so you can't argue that they're not PCs.

In fact, they've always been PCs. Apple is just a brand. Not some totally unique idea of what a computer is.

Definition of a PC:

PC

n : a small digital computer based on a microprocessor and designed to be used by one person at a time [syn: personal computer, PC, microcomputer]

Tell me how the new iMacs, the new MacBooks, the old iMacs, the old iBooks, Powerbooks, Mini, etc., are not PCs. :hysterical:

In any case, this is great news! Maybe that iMac WILL make it to my desk in the coming months. :poster_oops:

And the benches are roughly equivalent to 2.8GHz P4 dual-cores? Not too shabby for a 1.83GHz chip...

I get what you mean.. you mean a windows free life.. but then again sounds like you need to install windows for school or something so how are you free of it ?

You mean you can use osx most of the time and have less hassles with security etc maybe ?

now I am really confused..PC = personal computer..

Now that this site finally got to a reasonable speed, I can say thanks for all great job with this project! I am grad that when I get my first Mac at the end of the year, there is a chance to use this mod.

I've almost got it working on mine. I think the problem is my install CD. I don't have access to a PC, so I ended up using Nero in VPC to create a disc image which I then burned with Toast. I am thinking that is the problem because when I get to the boot selector, select Windows and hit enter, it just hangs. I let it sit there for 20 minutes, but after about a minute or so, the CD spins down and the system goes silent. Any suggestions?

I notice in the instructions it says something along the lines of splitting your HD in half for windows xp and osx being a good idea. I was wondering whether alotting a 10gb partition for xp would be fine. I plan on using xp just for several games and programs, but the bulk of my media will still remain on osx.

I notice in the instructions it says something along the lines of splitting your HD in half for windows xp and osx being a good idea. I was wondering whether alotting a 10gb partition for xp would be fine. I plan on using xp just for several games and programs, but the bulk of my media will still remain on osx.

I'm running a 17GB XP / 75GB OSX setup on my MacBook Pro, and both systems are running just fine.

Yeah, pretty much. It's a pity that not every developer has seen the light and cross-developed for OS X...

If there weren't so many darned programs that I still need to be able to run in Windows, there's no way on Earth I'd risk my precious MacBook Pro in order to get it running. :whistle:

Addendum: your image link redirects to your host's front page - I'm willing to bet they don't allow hotlinking. If anyone wants to see the image, copy/paste the URL into the browser manually.

They've released the Alpha Version of the .efi file for the 20" iMac. I was able to move along farther than I got yesterday, but now it hangs/stops at the part where "Setup is copying files..." to the hard drive.

I can't wait for a working one! Getting closer on the 20" iMac but still no cigar yet. :)

Woohoo! Thanks everybody, finally posting wirelessly from my MBP 2.0! :D

Had one hitch, every time I reboot, I have to hit G and Enter quickly at the text loader screen a few times to boot to Windows. Is G for "G"o ahead and boot? Once I figured that out, it was gravy.

1. This OS is a battery hog! I'll be lucky to get 1:45 out of a full charge.

2. Is there any way to make it sleep without locking up?

>1. This OS is a battery hog! I'll be lucky to get 1:45 out of a full charge.

Check the energy settings, maybe you're running the CPU at full speed? Does the harddrive spin down? Does the display dim when running on batteries?

Remember that Windows use ACPI which most likely is not supported on the Mac.