XP on an imac, up and booting (no joke this time)

Noved84

356 posts in this topic

Yeah right, like one guy says in the comments after the photo, Windows XP installation screen is ALWAYS 640x480...not taking 100% of the monitor like in that photo. Seems like another fake. Sorry.

I don't see how you can say that it ALWAYS installs in 640x480, I'm a network admin and I've worked on Tablet PCs and WinMCE boxes that installed with 1024x768, I'll see if I can get a screenshot. It's not that hard to explain.

Now that XP can be booted on an Intel Mac, I am surprised no one else has pointed out the possibility of installing Windows Media Center Edition 2005 on an Intel Mac!

MCE 2005 is based on Windows XP Pro SP2 so this would seem a distinct possibility. MCE 2005 is also the best currently available PVR application for any operating system (despite the crass stupidity of Microsoft :censored2: still not supporting DVB-S or DVB-C connections).

As the Mac mini ever since its launch has been considered an ideal platform for a PVR or HTPC system, combining the Intel Mac mini with MCE 2005 is almost a match made in heaven. Not only is the mini actually quite cheap for a HTPC, its appearance would blend in well, and most importantly it is quiet!

Does anyone have access to an MCE 2005 install disk to try using it with Narf's instructions?

Oh hey I had meant to bring this up yesterday. I tried using my copy of MCE 2005 when I was helping with the initial test. After slipstreaming it the install never asks for CD 2 which has all the MCE stuff. It just installed XP SP2 so something gets changed somewhere in the updated files that breaks the full MCE install.

Yikes. I spent most of today (off and on while at work) trying to get this to work with no success. Now I read that it doesn't work on the 20" iMac, which is what I am using. Doh! The guy should put that on his site!

Any idea when it will be working on the 20"?

More importantly, I don't even know what constitutes "not working" yet. Meaning I am unable to get to the part of installation where it boots from the slipstreamed disc. The instructions say that there is about 3 minutes where nothing responds....and that's where mine hangs and never proceeds. Is that the "not working" part or have I created the slipstream disc incorrectly?

Unfortunately IRC ports are blocked here at work so I can't get into the chat room for help. :censored2:

A late congratulations to everyone who worked on this project. I will now serioulsy consider getting a MacBook Pro for college. Once again, excellent work, and congratulations.

Blanka + Narf have just achieved Maxxuss status.

By automated do you mean an ISO patch for ppf?

only catch to the PPF is that everyone using it needs to have the same CD as narf. Problem is there are several different types of XP SP2 CDs. I've used both the MCE CD 1 and an XP Pro OEM CD with no issues but to do a ppf you'd need a version for each one as I understand it.

This method DID NOT work for my MacBook - can anyone help...please!

I followed the directions to a T - when I got to the install xp step my partition table looked like this:

C: partition 1 (efi) [fat32] 200mb

unpartitioned space 47698 <-- this was the ms-dos part I created with disk util!

E: partition2 (unknown) 47370mb <--i'm guessing my osx partition

unpartitioned space 126mb

So, like a fool I picked the 2nd one and partitioned (which I immediately read not to do in the instructions) so of course when I got to the reboot phase, the bootloader couldn't find it.

Then, I started over from scratch, reformatted, reinstalled osx, the whole deal, I get back to the step above and my part table looks exactly the same! WTF?

Don't know why, tried a third time, same thing.

How do I get my partitions to look like the instructions? I followed them exactly and it didn't work!

Can anybody help? I'd sure love to get rid of my inspiron....

You did the right thing, (My MacBook was the same way) you have 4 optons and the only one it will let you install on is the 2nd one. The first one is the new EFI boot partition for Windows (split off of your DOS partition, which is now unformated), the mac partition, and a bit of unused space.

I did this:

• partitioned with Disk Utility on the Mac Disc 1 - (1st as DOS, 2nd as HFS+ Journaled)
  • Installed Mac OS X, then installed new .efi file
  • installed stage 1 of Windows Install (it destroys the DOS partition, creates 2 new partitions [EFI and an unformatted partition] and then you install on the Unpartitioned Space.) Unknown is your Mac side. Let it install until it reboots.
  • Then (VERY QUICKLY) press F2 after/while pressing enter to select Windows at the new bootloader. If you miss it you'll repeat stage 1 of Windows setup (which is fine to do.. I did it twice) and if you remove the CD and expect the setup to resume it will fail. You have to press F2 with the disc in it would seem.
  • Finish Windows install.

...right

a ISO release will be piracy and MS would sue the soon Open Source project out of existence. Also, most people have copies of XP, or can get one easily.

but I'm sure extra-officiall "pached" ISOs will come out on torrents

OK...I'm very hazy on the concept here, but I take it that for each different "variant" of Windows XP CD (i.e. retail, corporate, the one that comes with MCE etc.), a different PPF must be used? If that's the case, would it be possible to write a small utility app that checks what XP CD you have in your drive and indicates the appropriate PPF to get for it? That would eliminate some confusion and brainwork on the end-user's part.

(no bloody clue what a PPF is btw)

Looks like I can help do a few things here as I'm a fairly advanced slipstreamer.

1st, I have a single DVD MSDN copy of MCE 2005 which indeed SHOULD work, it is different than the OEM 2 CD sets that are public.

2nd, I have a RETAIL XP SP2 CD that has ALL MS hotfixes all the way through Feb. '06 slipstreamed into it by me. In other words it as up-to-date as you can get short of this past Tues. release of a single fix.

I would be willing to make a .iso image of both using the files made by narf and make them available via torrent. I can also include all of the known and tested additional drivers so they install during the actual installation.

However I am just now ordering my MacBook Pro and it will be until it arrives until I can test the images and distribute them.

Also, of course, you are on your own for installation keys.

puting ISOs of OS could be a piracy issue, but this is just theoretical discussion (we are not posting any files)

Also this dual-boot solution does not infringes the DMCA nor stands for piracy.

the idea of booting XP pro in a mac is not even an EULA violation per se (according to Microsoft), but i don't know about modifying the CD

So does the download version work on the 20" iMac now? does anyone know?

No. I've got a 20" iMac, and all it does is spit out the XOM console, can't get XP setup to ever display (even though you can tell setup is loading in the background -- noisy CD-ROM drive)

I'm in the same boat.

I have a 20" iMac... and mine will give me the Apple and Windows logo choices... and I can hear it whirring away... and it says "patch successful"... but thats all it does :(

Does ANYONE know when this is going to work.

Just dropped $600 so I can dual boot

($159 for XP Pro SP2 and $299 for 500Gig SATA2 Drive and $99 for Nero!!!)