[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

i am currently in the process of redoing dual-boot on my pc, i will update the guide with some more screenshots and detail info after.

there will be some changes to the guide, some corrections to mistakes that i previously thought was correct. :2cents:

i got osx86 working, but now i got a problem, whenever i reboot, the bios asks for the system disk, and i put in the osx dvd and it boots, but there is not way to get to windows. I laymen's terms ZOMGZOURS I CANNOT GET INTO WINDOZE!!

Also, osx sees my ethernet card, so is there a way to share the internet connection from my windoze laptop (connecting over wifi) to the desktop (osx) over ether net?

Nice guide, best I've seen so far.

Quick Q, can I just partition my hdd, whack in the dvd and let mac handle the dual boot?

oh and to that guy with iso problems, can't remeber his name or be botherd looking back. you wern't able to see the files because you are using win. You would need something like mac drive to view mac files.

ok i got mine to go

copy chain0 off your osx86 install DVD to c:\

Find and edit boot.ini to give you the option of booting osx86

It is in c:\ it is a windows file so will probably need to boot windows and make sure the option is on to see invisible AND system files I set my windows partition to NTFS so it is not esitable from OSX if you set yours to fat32 osx can mod it ok.

here is my modified boot.ini file

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=c:\chain0

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Winodws XP Proffessional"/noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\chain0="Mac OS X86

so now in boot the windows bootload pops up with 2 options osx86 being default

on choosing this it goes to the darwin boot which now has 2 options windows and OSX

interesting if u choose windows it puts u back at windows boot menu and u have to make a choice again

Ok this is really simple for most of you but I find there is never enough details for us no techno types so I hope this helps someone

please note my setup is 1 hard disc made to 2 partitions by osx diskutility OSX installed first then windows to the other partition

FWIW:

I have this and it works fine, did about a month ago...triple booting

partitions: wxpsp2, Mac-osx86 10.4.5, data, windows vista

why people feel the need for grub and all these other boot managers is just

a matter of booting Linux or others I guess, but the straight forward way using

chain0 works fine for me...

i got osx86 working, but now i got a problem, whenever i reboot, the bios asks for the system disk, and i put in the osx dvd and it boots, but there is not way to get to windows. I laymen's terms ZOMGZOURS I CANNOT GET INTO WINDOZE!!

Also, osx sees my ethernet card, so is there a way to share the internet connection from my windoze laptop (connecting over wifi) to the desktop (osx) over ether net?

sorry man, i dont know how to help you. try posting your question in the pc installation fourm for fixing windoze, and i have no idea about sharing internet connections, cause i dont use wifi.

Nice guide, best I've seen so far.

Quick Q, can I just partition my hdd, whack in the dvd and let mac handle the dual boot?

oh and to that guy with iso problems, can't remeber his name or be botherd looking back. you wern't able to see the files because you are using win. You would need something like mac drive to view mac files.

glad you liked my guide. as for your quick Q: i dont know, depends on how you setup your partitions.

acronis = amazing (Y) my 2nd try around and acronis defintiely works.

some wiseman once said, "Acronis is worth every penny." :D

i have setup my dual-boot again, and i updated the guide.

Well here I am posting from Safari under OSX 10.4.4. My DVD drive wouldn't read the disc properly so i had to use vmware to do a native install, then had some trouble with my network card so I got the kext from 10.4.3 and replaced the 10.4.4 one now all seems to be working well :happymac: Many thanks to all involved. No sound yet but i will probably just buy a usb audio thinngy.

Managed to get it to dual boot, I finally realise that the MAC PARTITION must be straight after C:\ (WINDOWS PARTITION) and of course it must be primary.

Going to try triple boot vista on tuesday.

i dont think that's a must, i've read that it's best to make the partition at the very end of your harddrive. that's what i did the first time i got my dual boot, but then the second time around, it doesn't work, so i now have the mac partition after C:, and somehow that works. go figure.... :whistle:

Great writeup here, thanks a lot!

I was able to install on a seperate drive with no problems but I can't get any dual boot options. The second drive is set to primary, active... Acronis doesn't detect that there is an OS on the drive.

Any suggestions?

i dont think that's a must, i've read that it's best to make the partition at the very end of your harddrive. that's what i did the first time i got my dual boot, but then the second time around, it doesn't work, so i now have the mac partition after C:, and somehow that works. go figure.... :D

Yea, mine was at the end of the HDD at first but it doesnt work. LOL

try use the Chain0 method, read the Q & A at the end of the guide for the steps.

Well doing the chain0 method did not work. I re-formatted my 2nd drive to windows native and moved all my non-system files to it. Partitioned my C: as per your guide and set it for the install. Worked perfectly :D

I now have XP Pro and OSx86 booting up with no problems! Except the things that arent working :whistle:

Thanks again for the guide!

heh, enjoy your osx, i still got err...about nothing, to do in OSX.

oh, internet was fine, mp3 sounds good, and msn for mac looks kinda cool.

LOL, me too, but I am going to try Macromedia Studio 8 and Adobe Creative Suite 2 on OS X

dilnalomo, I appreciate your guide, but do you mind editing the line

1. ALWAYS DO THIS FIRST: Backup you stuff!!!

There's an "r" in you. Nothing major, but it's good habit.

If anyone is still interested in using grub, it is very straight forward to get it to boot osx

your entry just needs something like:

title OSX
  rootnoverify (hd0,0)
  makeactive
  chainloader +1

where the (hd0,0) is your hard drive followed by the partition number

IE the (0,1) is the second partition on the first drive and (1,2) is the 3rd partition on the second hard drive. Grub should be able to boot OSC from extended partitions, but I'm not sure if OSX will freak out once it start loading the kernel or not.

This is about the easiest way to have an indefinate number of OSs... I personally boot OSX, linux, and XP all from grub...

using grub needs a linux os installed in a triple boot setup. Making a xp + osx dual boot is hard enough for mnay people, so a triple boot just complicate things further, and more complication means greater possiblities of getting error.

so, unless you have the ability to, i suggest you stick with either win boot loader with chain0 or darwin.

Hey guys, I'm really new to this, and I'm having some issues.

I've tried your tutorial and was able to make a logical partition. When I boot from the disk I get as far as the grey screen with the apple logo and circle thingy, and then I just get a basic sky blue screen, and the computer hangs. Anybody else have this issue? I'm trying to install on a Sony Vaio VGN-FS920 with the MaC.OsX.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL_AMD_SSE3_SSE2).iso off of Pirate Bay. Any ideas?

Hey guys, I'm really new to this, and I'm having some issues.

I've tried your tutorial and was able to make a logical partition. When I boot from the disk I get as far as the grey screen with the apple logo and circle thingy, and then I just get a basic sky blue screen, and the computer hangs. Anybody else have this issue? I'm trying to install on a Sony Vaio VGN-FS920 with the MaC.OsX.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL_AMD_SSE3_SSE2).iso off of Pirate Bay. Any ideas?

yeah...i got that couple times, just try it again, and you will be fine.

This is JUST the info I need to remedy an issue I've been having; I can get OS X (10.4.6 JaS) to install but get the HFS+ Partition Error message when I try to boot. Apparently all I need to do is use Acronis to change the extended OS X partition to a primary one (in the OS selector window during boot) right? BTW, how long does converting to a primary partition take?

I've already got a (yes, legal) copy of Acronis Disk Director Suite 9 (GREAT software). Does anybody know if the upgrade to 10 is required for this method? I'd imagine not.

I'll report back this evening (it's 10am my time at the moment) once I give it a go. Heopfully you can add me to your list of people who've used this tutorial succesfully!

yup, your osx partition need to be a primary, how long the convertion takes depends on how big your partition is.

disk director suite 9 will works as long as it has the convert fucntion and os selector.

and i will add you to the list once you have sucessfully installed dual boot with my guide. good luck to you.