[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

Ok, i've asked this question once but didn't get the answer that could actully help me.

before i start: I have win xp installed for some time now and i have lots of data on it too, so i can't just make a clean install of everything and start over. now here's what i did:

I created a 9 gig FAT32 primary partition (right after my mian partition) set to active then I changed its type (with A.D.D) to 0xAF after having some problems (explanation here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;p=126158%29)

anyway, i booted up my osx86 dvd and after actually going through earsing the partion and changing the type to mac os extended jorunaled, now it gives me:

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume."

i've looked through the forums and the only that i found related was this unanswered thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11786

here's how my partitoon look like right now.

post-129043-1187828020_thumb.jpg

what gives

please help

thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...
Ok, i've asked this question once but didn't get the answer that could actully help me.

before i start: I have win xp installed for some time now and i have lots of data on it too, so i can't just make a clean install of everything and start over. now here's what i did:

I created a 9 gig FAT32 primary partition (right after my mian partition) set to active then I changed its type (with A.D.D) to 0xAF after having some problems (explanation here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;p=126158%29)

anyway, i booted up my osx86 dvd and after actually going through earsing the partion and changing the type to mac os extended jorunaled, now it gives me:

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume."

i've looked through the forums and the only that i found related was this unanswered thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11786

here's how my partitoon look like right now.

post-129043-1187828020_thumb.jpg

what gives

please help

thanks in advance.

well im pretty sure 9gb is deffinently not enough space to install OSx..so make the parition way bigger (id suggest like 30gb at LEAST)

• 2 months later...

I dont know what Im doing wrong...almsot two days not working... First of all here is my system..

Processor: AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-30

Operates at 1.6 GHz | 1 MB L2 Cache

HyperTransport™ technology at up to 1600 MHz Chipset: ATI RS482M

Memory: 512 MB 333 MHz DDR (1 × 512)

Video ATI™ Radeon® Xpress 200M graphics

Up to 128 MB of shared video memory Audio AC 97 2.3 compliant 2-channel audio

Hard drive: 80 GB 4200 RPM PATA hard drive

Tried to use VMware because my system could not read the ISO CD file....use power iso to burn the cd..

Everything loads fine and as soon it starts the installation... its says restart the cd again...and everytime it checks the cd its takes whole hour and as soon as it starts it says coudnt intall..really frustrating... Please someone advise,,,,,I followed the guide at insane mac...for vmware did not work

When I restart it says" System config file /Library/preferences/Systeconfiguration/com.appleBoot.pillst" not found!! :D :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All, this is my first post and I'm happy to announce that I was able to install Jas.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.INTEL.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1.Defiant.diskutil.biker880.ich7-R.patch.Integrated.iso.

My system is a HP a1240n desktop.

CPU=Pentium 4, Prescott 630 Hyper-threading 3.0Ghz

Memory=1 GB

Graphics=GMA900

DVD=HP DVD Writer 740b

Display=HP f1905

HD=Samsung SP2004C Partitions as follows:

XP C:50GB

OSX 60GB

Extra storage (Fat32) 80GB

The install was only hampered by the graphics kext. The screen after the Apple boot screen was black with blocks of blue scattered about. I did some searching in the forums and found a replacement kext at: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry249474

Then added that to the disc image of the Jas and burned a new copy of the install disc.

Booted from the disc and used Terminal.app to MOVE AppleIntel915.kext, AppleIntel915GA.plugin and AppleIntelGLDriver.bundle from /Volumes/disk0s2/System/Library/Extensions/ to /Volumes/disk0s2/System/Library/

Then I cp -r or copied /Volumes/disk0s2/Volumes/disk0s2/AppleIntel915.kext to /Volumes/disk0s2/System/Library/Extensions/

Rebooted and it works great. Had a hard time and got mixed up with the /Volumes/disk0s2/ and /Volumes/disk0s2/Volumes/disk0s2/

Thanks to all the posts and if I can do it....

• 1 month later...

Hi, this is my first post here so please bare with me here.

Sorry to revive this thread from the dead but i don't want to start a new thread for no reason.

I also have the Jas ISO, but every time i try to boot from it it restarts, no questions asked, just before the GUI of the OSX install.

I tried a Leopard version but that one freezes before the gui.

I tried a number of other ISO's but all of them get to a halt eventually, none of them loading the GUI.

I have this sistem:

Q6600 G0 @3.4GHz (OC)

MSI P35 Neo2-FR

Gainward Bliss 8800GT 1024MB

HDD Seagate 400GB

Corsair Twin2x XMS2 DDR-945 (OC)

Can anyone please help? It's my first time trying to install OSX and it's already a big pain.

Oh, and another thing, i tried with an original Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8 DVD from a friend and it does the same thing, restarts for no reason.

• 1 month later...

I confirm another success!

Systems used:

- Kalyway 10.5.2

- Windows XP Pro SP2

PC specs:

- mobo: Gigabyte 945GZM-S2

- 2 gigs ram, 250 gigs HD (around 233 gigs formatted)

- GeForce 8600GT

Notes:

- made 3 partitions: 25 gigs for Windows, 200 gigs for OSX, 8 gigs "trade" partition

- did not assign a letter to OSX partition, so Windows can't see it (can it see HFS+ partitions at all?)

- thus, the last partition is to send files from OSX to Windows :)

Sidenote:

- used 10.5.2_NVkexts+.pkg to get the GeForce to work. Only the DVI port works.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a MSI Wind U100. It has a 80 Gb hdd.

I installed my dualboot like this:

1.: popped XP installation CD in a external drive, and from within windows XP installation I deleted all partitions, made a 50 Gb partition, formatted as NTFS and installed windows XP, leaving the unused and unpartitioned space untouched.

2.: from within installed Windows XP I used DISKPART to create a mac partition in the unused (+/- 30 Gb) space.

3.: popped in Kalyway 10.5.2 disc, erased the mac partition from within OSX installer, and installed OSX

4.: PROBLEM: I now have the Darwin Bootloader, succesfully seeing partition 1: Windows NTFS and 2: disk0s2 . When i select disk0s2 (OSX) it boots succesfully, but when I try to boot partition 1 (Windows NTFS) it goes to a black screen, waits 3 seconds, and the computer restarts.

Does anyone know a solution for booting/repairing/activating the Windows partition?

Thanks in advance!

MF.

• 3 months later...

I tried this and after Leopard has installed and rebooted after 30 seconds I got stuck at "HFS+ partition error".

How do I fix this?

More information:

I had xp installed with the Laptop.

I have a 6gb primary partition, then a 40gb primary active partition and a 40gb Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

• 2 months later...