[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

I used Mac.OS.X.Tiger.10.4.6.X86-HOTiSO and never booted into OSX successfully.

I just reinstalled and I think I may have figured it out...

*crossing fingers*

I guess it didn't work.

I tried to copy over a file from the OSX install DVD but it could not be found. Used the tutorial from

http://www.nedprod.com/Niall_stuff/MacOS%20X/index.html

"11. MacOS X should now boot. However, it may fail with a kernel panic 'commpage no match on last routine'. If this happens, it's because your CPU doesn't support SSE3 and for some odd reason, the HOTiSO image above doesn't install a suitably patched kernel. If this happens, boot off the MacOS X install DVD. When you reach the installer, choose Utilities=>Terminal. Now type 'cp /mach_kernel /Volumes/Apple\ MacOS\ X/' which copies an AMD and SSE2 patched kernel (the one the installer booted from) over the one on your main system. Reboot."

Any ideas on how to successfully copy the file that is being refered to?

I used Mac.OS.X.Tiger.10.4.6.X86-HOTiSO and never booted into OSX successfully.

I just reinstalled and I think I may have figured it out...

*crossing fingers*

I guess it didn't work.

I tried to copy over a file from the OSX install DVD but it could not be found. Used the tutorial from

http://www.nedprod.com/Niall_stuff/MacOS%20X/index.html

"11. MacOS X should now boot. However, it may fail with a kernel panic 'commpage no match on last routine'. If this happens, it's because your CPU doesn't support SSE3 and for some odd reason, the HOTiSO image above doesn't install a suitably patched kernel. If this happens, boot off the MacOS X install DVD. When you reach the installer, choose Utilities=>Terminal. Now type 'cp /mach_kernel /Volumes/Apple\ MacOS\ X/' which copies an AMD and SSE2 patched kernel (the one the installer booted from) over the one on your main system. Reboot."

Any ideas on how to successfully copy the file that is being refered to?

i have no idea how to copy the files you need. from what the guide said, it seems to me that the hotiso is not patched correctly. maybe you should try using another ISO.

Try the JaS ISO, or... there's a Spanish ISO too that also includes iLife and a bunch of other apps not otherwise included. It was mentioned in this forum (another sub-forum, though) and it appears to work right.

Your method works for me - great!!!

i used the MacOSX_10.4.6_GoatsecxDVD.iso

toshiba satellite 2410 404

pentium m 1,8

nvidia geforce4 mx

512 mb ddr 2

sound (ac97 onboard) works direct

ethernet (intel/pro 100 ve onboard) works direct

firewire (Texas Instruments OHCI-konformer IEEE 1394-hostcontroller onboard) works direct

usb (intel 82801 ca/cam usb hostcontroller onboard) works direct

trouble:

toshiba minipci wireless controller - recognized as toshiba wlan device but not useable for wlan ???

rme hammerfall dsp pcmcia card - recognized as multimedia device but not useable.

mac screensaver extrem slow

sorry i dont know how to fix your wireless problems, as i am using the dumb old wired dsl from verizon......

guide update:

05/19/2006 fixed a quesiton in Q & A, moved some info around so now the actual guide has 8 steps.

also, if you have successfuly gotten dual-boot running on your pc using my guide, please post back here with the following things as reference for other people:

1. Name of the ISO you used, with version number.

2. Your pc specs.

3. anything else you want to share...

Thank you very much!

Hi dilnalomo and thanks for a great guide. Works like a charm. Using dualboot with the Acronis OS Selector...a tad slow but who´s in a hurry.

Mac OS X 86 10.4.5 on a:

/HP Pavillion 3,8 GHz INtel P4

/1GB RAM

/2x250 GB SATA HDD (Mac on a 40 GB partition

/nVidia Gforce 6600 @ 1280x1024 on a HP 2035

/Realtek RTL8139 10/100 LAN

Running Adobe Photoshop CS2 and it runs pretty ok.

Missing the sound because I have a soundblaster Audigy which is unsupported if I understand things right.

:rolleyes::poster_oops:

can you tell me which ISO did you use? i am going to add it to the list of working ISOs in the guide. thank you!

The ISO was called "osx86_10.4.5_amd-intel_sse2-3.iso" and was found on the piratebay. Filesizewise its the same size as the Myzar-ISO (10.4.5)

I was just wonderingin if there have been any confirmed instalations on an AMD processor, as I have read through I haven't seen any. I am goint to try it as soon as I get the iso downloaded and hopefully we can add one to it!!! Wish me luck, I have already crupted my MBR 2 times using the VMware method :hysterical: .

Thanks for the great guide!!

i think installing on an AMD processor is pretty much the same with the INTEL ones, all you have to do is install the AMD patched included in your OSX iso. During installation select"customize" and select the AMD patch to install it. good luck to you man!

After a disastrous first install, everything went fairly smooth the second time (using the HOTISO release). If I have my Windows XP partition selected as Active when I boot into OSX it just goes into XP. But when I make OSX the active partion both Boot icons boot into their respective OS's.

Using the Inspiron E1505/6400 I had to disable Dual Core support in order to get past the setup when I finally booted into OSX.

I was able to play around in it for a little while, changed the screen resolution, but now when I try to boot back in I get a large chunk of scrolling text that shows (for example) some of the devices I have installed and indicates that some of them failed. It pretty much just stops there. Any ideas?

Well, when you boot into OSX all of a sudden comes up the technical stuff. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it included things such as

Mounting local filesystems

resetting IOCatalogue

Matching Service count = 1

and ended with

Localhost Directory service [61]: Launched version 2.1 (v353.2)

;)

I'm having troubles installing it.

Im using osx86_10.4.5_amd-intel_sse2-3.iso. On a pentium 4. It gets to the "Base 1" stage of installation. But then stops saying there was an error with installation and the only thing I can do is turn off the PC.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

This is just an idea, I haven't even gotten this to work yet, but did you go to customize on the install and pick what patches you need? This is a step that I had missed in both of my previous attempts. Hope this helps.

Yea, I made sure to pick out the patch for the intel chip.

There was also a "X11 on OSX" option to install though, what is this? I tried it with and without this but it failed at the same part each time.

what did the error say?