Well, i've done it. It works.

Specs:

ISO= Jas 10.4.6 iso

PC= Pentium 4 Northwood

2.6 ghz

512mb RAM

80 gb hdd

ATI RADEON 9200 graphics card

Wireless internet worked straight away, and it also recognised my laptop being on the network as well.

My only niggle is it thinks the internet connection is coming through via the ethernet card. Is it possible to get it through properly wireless?

Also, maybe a dumb question. But seeing even though its a mac thats running on a pc, will it still be as secure as a normal mac? Secure as in protected from viruses?

EDIT: No worrys about the wi fi, got my network recognised with AirPort.

As u suggested, I burn a new DVD but I'm still experencing the same problem.(unable to get pass the gray background).

First I insert the DVD, press F12, boot from cd rom.

I got this

pic06032qc.jpg

When I press enter to install Darwin/x86, Its just stuck on this

pic06001hg.jpg

But when I press -v from the previous screen..

Its just stuck on this screen

pic05973wz.jpg

Is my PC compatitable???

Its a Dell E510/5150 with dual core 2.8ghz etc.....

@ GCY: honestly, i dont know what's wrong. but i saw some ugly things in there like "AppleHDA.kext failed to load" and the last 2 lines. is your dual core cpu listed in the wiki? do you think things work different with dual core?

:lol:

Well, i've done it. It works.

Specs:

ISO= Jas 10.4.6 iso

PC= Pentium 4 Northwood

2.6 ghz

512mb RAM

80 gb hdd

ATI RADEON 9200 graphics card

Wireless internet worked straight away, and it also recognised my laptop being on the network as well.

My only niggle is it thinks the internet connection is coming through via the ethernet card. Is it possible to get it through properly wireless?

Also, maybe a dumb question. But seeing even though its a mac thats running on a pc, will it still be as secure as a normal mac? Secure as in protected from viruses?

EDIT: No worrys about the wi fi, got my network recognised with AirPort.

congrats dude! finally!

Yea, finally.

Well this is the first time i've properly used a mac. So is there any software I should get?

Is there a better browser than Safari available for the mac? I'm used to Avant Browser which allowed me loads of cusomisation. Safari seems a little to basic and crashes on quite a few pages. Any better browsers?

@ GCY: honestly, i dont know what's wrong. but i saw some ugly things in there like "AppleHDA.kext failed to load" and the last 2 lines. is your dual core cpu listed in the wiki? do you think things work different with dual core?

I'm not sure if my PC is compatiable. I also tried it on my older machine with something similar.

I'll just go fine another iso and see if that'll work.

Yea, finally.

Well this is the first time i've properly used a mac. So is there any software I should get?

Is there a better browser than Safari available for the mac? I'm used to Avant Browser which allowed me loads of cusomisation. Safari seems a little to basic and crashes on quite a few pages. Any better browsers?

i am fine using safari, but firefox can eat safari alive anyday. if you use msn, there's a mac verision for it. and if you want to download bittorrent, try azureus. that's all i have on my osx so far.

I'm not sure if my PC is compatiable. I also tried it on my older machine with something similar.

I'll just go fine another iso and see if that'll work.

i sort of searched the forum with the keyworks "dual core", there' no clear answer regarding dual core, but in some posts, people wrote that they had to disable dual core to even get osx to boot. i really dont know how that works...

are you using a 10.4.6 ISO? maybe there's a dual core patch floating around that i am not aware of...oh well, keep looking...

Yea, finally.

I´m using Camino 1.0.1 and I like a lot.

Camion website

thanks a lot mate, it worked perfect, everything went smooth

Specs:

ISO= Apple.10.4.4.generic.install.dvd.iso

PC= p4 ibm thinkcentre

3.0ghz

512mb RAM

80 gb hdd

thanks for the wonderful guide...

u r welcome mate. :D

I'm having trouble installing Azures.

I double click the dmg file. Drag the resulting Azureus icon to the applications folder then double click it. It highlights itself but nothing runs....Not sure why.

this thread tells you how to get azureus to work

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...2646&hl=azureus

also, regarding dual core CPUs....

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...12entry119012

um, i have a question, any of you who had success with my guide using other Windows than XP?

Thanks mate.

Its working for me :)

ISO used: 10.4.6.install.dvd.iso

PC config (most relevant): P4 3.0Ghz HT

Intel 915GAV

80GB SATA

I know the actual reason behind you creating the logical partition first, and then installing and then primary. So,. if any one is interested to know more about it email me! It was fun going through the installation ... :) learnt a lot with my friend :)

Cheers

So, this makes the success list: 25

That was one easy guide to follow. Thanks for your efforts. Everything went as planned, except when i actually booted into OSX. The grey screen loads then I get a blank black screen with a mouse cursor. I can actually move the mouse around, and the hard drive actually goes into sleep mode at a certain point. How long should i wait for my OS to load from Acronis OS selector? I'm trying to boot into windows now...and it just hangs at a blank screen with a white bar at the bottom. If i restart and boot into windows, I get an option to choose to start normally or from the last previous setting that worked. I'm really lost right now, any help would be appreciated. I used an hotfix dvd to install btw.

OK I did everything by the book, and I know my equip is compatible, atleast 10.4.1 ran ok. its a p4 2.8c asus p4c800 deluxe, poineer dvd burner a08, i think, gforce 5950 or better I don't remember right now. I know the monitor is {censored}, highest I can get it is 1024x768@60htz. Anyways the symptom is that after the install goes perfectly, and the partition is converted to primary, I boot acronis and try winXP, fine...but OSX goes blank for about ten or 15 secs and then loads winxp. I'm using 10.4.6.install.dvd.iso data verified after burning, clean and no errors . I've tried other installs, with the same disk, I got a p0 error once or b0, I know its something about the hd part not active, but thats before I followed this guide, now I get a black screen, and after a couple of seconds it loads winxp. any ideas. I'm going to try to install a osx only drive and see if the dvd works, if so, I'll have to see whats wrong. Maybe I can upgrade 10.4.1 which works for me and make it a 10.4.6. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

cool, number 25.

umm...what's the actual reason i created the partition as a logical first?

The thing is:

When Mac is installed on a Primary Partition, it does NOT write a bootsector!!

So, when you run Chain0, which does nothing but scans your partition table and boots the partition with the signature AF, it hangs and says: Chain Booting error, since there is nothing to execute!

Lol!

But, when it is installed onto a logical partition, it writes an MBR. And this MBR is preserved when you convert it into Primary using Acronis.

Thats the solution ;)

Now chain0 peacefully works.

Cheers

Thanks for the nice guide :)

post-39892-1148551238_thumb.jpg

post-39892-1148551253_thumb.jpg

You can notch up another confirmed success ;)!!!

To be honest I didnt follow the guide to the letter and I had to do a lot of self fixing (SATA woes) but in essense it was your guide.

Its a Dell Dimension 8400 btw P4 with HT the best thing is MacOsX reckons its dual core lol

anyways I must thank everyone in the forums and anyone who has contributed to the wiki, as its down to you that im staring at MacOsX right now :)

so thanx

Danny

That was one easy guide to follow. Thanks for your efforts. Everything went as planned, except when i actually booted into OSX. The grey screen loads then I get a blank black screen with a mouse cursor. I can actually move the mouse around, and the hard drive actually goes into sleep mode at a certain point. How long should i wait for my OS to load from Acronis OS selector? I'm trying to boot into windows now...and it just hangs at a blank screen with a white bar at the bottom. If i restart and boot into windows, I get an option to choose to start normally or from the last previous setting that worked. I'm really lost right now, any help would be appreciated. I used an hotfix dvd to install btw.

wow, both windows and osx got messed up...i think you are the worse case so far.

so you get a blank black screen with a mouse cursoe and you can move the mouse around..

i am going to make a big fat blind guess here...graphic card problem?

OK I did everything by the book, and I know my equip is compatible, atleast 10.4.1 ran ok. its a p4 2.8c asus p4c800 deluxe, poineer dvd burner a08, i think, gforce 5950 or better I don't remember right now. I know the monitor is {censored}, highest I can get it is 1024x768@60htz. Anyways the symptom is that after the install goes perfectly, and the partition is converted to primary, I boot acronis and try winXP, fine...but OSX goes blank for about ten or 15 secs and then loads winxp. I'm using 10.4.6.install.dvd.iso data verified after burning, clean and no errors . I've tried other installs, with the same disk, I got a p0 error once or b0, I know its something about the hd part not active, but thats before I followed this guide, now I get a black screen, and after a couple of seconds it loads winxp. any ideas. I'm going to try to install a osx only drive and see if the dvd works, if so, I'll have to see whats wrong. Maybe I can upgrade 10.4.1 which works for me and make it a 10.4.6. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

when osx goes blind, did you see a screen like?

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?ac...pe=post&id=2819

if you do i can tell you this. if you let the counter go down to zero, it will boot xp, you have to press the up or down key to select your osx.

if you dont see this screen then i dont know what's wrong. maybe you have the same problem like duckiestudios's. like you said, if 10.4.1 worked for you, your best shot would be updating a 10.4.1 install to a 10.4.6

The thing is:

When Mac is installed on a Primary Partition, it does NOT write a bootsector!!

So, when you run Chain0, which does nothing but scans your partition table and boots the partition with the signature AF, it hangs and says: Chain Booting error, since there is nothing to execute!

Lol!

But, when it is installed onto a logical partition, it writes an MBR. And this MBR is preserved when you convert it into Primary using Acronis.

Thats the solution :graduated:

Now chain0 peacefully works.

Cheers

Thanks for the nice guide :graduated:

lol...

that's some really interesting info.

to be honest, i didn't know about that, i made the partition logical first cause the first time i do it i did it that way and it worked, so i didn't try the other way. that's the only reason. lol, now i know why it worked. thanks man.

You can notch up another confirmed success :graduated:!!!

To be honest I didnt follow the guide to the letter and I had to do a lot of self fixing (SATA woes) but in essense it was your guide.

Its a Dell Dimension 8400 btw P4 with HT the best thing is MacOsX reckons its dual core lol

anyways I must thank everyone in the forums and anyone who has contributed to the wiki, as its down to you that im staring at MacOsX right now :blink:

so thanx

Danny

you are number 26

dude it's not fair...did you upgrade your dell? my machine is Dell Dimension 8400, and it's not a dual core... :construction:

sorry, nope I don't get that far. after acronis and I choose osx, the screen goes blank, then one underscore apears at the top left corner, followed in a second or two by another under it and poof blank screen, I tried hitting keys to get through it but after maybe ten or 15 secs of blank screen it loads XP. also I notice that if I put the osx partition as primary and as active, after I reboot from XP...having the same blank screen and loads XP. I notice that the XP partition was set as active again by acronis. I figure thats its a grafics card thing or a monitor thing. what is the default screen settings for 10.4.6. if its higher than 1024x768@60htz it probably wont show up on screen. with 10.4.1 I had no issues of that matter. I'm currently getting another iso just to check. BTW might you know if my processor is sse2 or 3, its a p4 2.8c with HT. its a 478 socket and is running on a 975p chipset on an asus p4c800 deluxe.

sorry, nope I don't get that far. after acronis and I choose osx, the screen goes blank, then one underscore apears at the top left corner, followed in a second or two by another under it and poof blank screen, I tried hitting keys to get through it but after maybe ten or 15 secs of blank screen it loads XP. also I notice that if I put the osx partition as primary and as active, after I reboot from XP...having the same blank screen and loads XP. I notice that the XP partition was set as active again by acronis. I figure thats its a grafics card thing or a monitor thing. what is the default screen settings for 10.4.6. if its higher than 1024x768@60htz it probably wont show up on screen. with 10.4.1 I had no issues of that matter. I'm currently getting another iso just to check. BTW might you know if my processor is sse2 or 3, its a p4 2.8c with HT. its a 478 socket and is running on a 975p chipset on an asus p4c800 deluxe.

dude, what did you set your partitions to?

you have to set both the xp and osx partitions as primary. not just xp or osx. if you are using acronis os selector, it doens't matter which partition is active, but both drive has to be primary.

to check if your procesor supports sse2/3 or not use cpu-z

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

like I said earlier in the thread, by the book install. everything happened like it should and described at the start of the thread. I tried just to be completly sure that there were no options that I didn't try once I noticed it did boot as it should. I'm going to try another monitor just to be sure that the resolution isn't too high, but it would be strange for the res to be that high at the darwin boot message. but hey its the only option I can try. Like I said I don't even see the darwin boot message after I choose it at acronis. the strange thing is, why would it revert to winxp after unsuccesfully loading darwin.

you are number 26

dude it's not fair...did you upgrade your dell? my machine is Dell Dimension 8400, and it's not a dual core... :D

lol - I have done absolutely nothing its just a stock Dimension 8400....... which now happens to have a dual core P4 lol

yup thats how I like it CPUs upgrading themselves, they shud make more systems like it!! :P

btw did u have any SATA trouble when installing??

Must throw this in:

When installing I had trouble with Acronis not wanting to partition my HD it turns out that this is a problem that is known about. To work around create a bootable media with the full disk director option (Youll see when you create the media) BOOT FROM THE MEDIA and then partition. I have no idea why this works but it does (strikes me as though there is a big bug somewhere in Acronis). So you may want to put that in any trouble-shooting