[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

Acronis is lame thats what I meant, it worked for me but its to slow and yes I read your post how to speed it up with the darwin boot loader, no luck though.

When I didnt have it installed the computer just showed me 2 drives with the darwin thing (where I could type -x or -s) and I just selected what I wanted to boot in.

Now how can I go back to that option, it defaults boot XP now.

Acronis is lame thats what I meant, it worked for me but its to slow and yes I read your post how to speed it up with the darwin boot loader, no luck though.

When I didnt have it installed the computer just showed me 2 drives with the darwin thing (where I could type -x or -s) and I just selected what I wanted to boot in.

Now how can I go back to that option, it defaults boot XP now.

you mean you want to go back to using Darwin?can you have dual boot now? or you can just boot into windows and not osx?

Dinalomo, did your loading seem to pause when the yellow message came up? Because mine halts on the screen with it. Exactly how long does it take to load OSX? Ergh..

wait wait wait wait wait..hold on, you compouter actually halts when the yellow text comes up? every time? so you have never been able to boot into osx? if you computer halts with the yellow text, then i cant help you, because i have no idea what the error message means, and i can boot into osx fine, so i just ignore it. looks like you have some other problems, try look around in fourm or post your question.

Yeah, it actually stops when that comes up. I don't know if that message has anything to do with it, since you've seen it too and yours boots up fine. Sigh...is there any way to figure out what's wrong with this thing?

well, it worked up until the install.

When I go to install OS X on my laptop (Turion 64 ml-32, Radeon Xpress 200m, 1gb, 80gb drive) install stops on ApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics Touchpad v6.2, then it says on the next line Still waiting for root device. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I tried 10.4.1, 10.4.3, and 10.4.4/5.... All Same

(Optional)

Boot Time Speedup Mini Guide:

Fact: OS Selector is s-l-o-w...You can speed up boot time by using Darwin boot loader instead.

1. Deactivate OS Selector. Run Acronis OS Selector in windows, Go to Tools-> Deactivate OS Selector, then follow the instructions to apply the settings.

2. Use director suite to make your osx parition active. Right-click on it -> Advanced -> Set Active, then apply the changes.

3. Reboot. Now you should have Darwin boot loader running instead of OS Selector. The default booting OS is osx.

That's it, you should be able to boot both XP and OSX. If you have hardware problems check wiki or other threads in forum. Good luck!

Thanks for the great "How To" With your help I have set up a XP/OS X 10.4.5 dual boot machine. The only thing I did differently was install OS X on another internal hard drive rather than partitioning a single drive. Now for my question:

Will the "Boot Time Speedup Mini Guide" work in my situation (two separate drives)? I have a working system now and don't want to mess with it too much, but OS Selector will not recognize my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I now have an unsightly corded HP keyboard attached at all times just for booting up. If you think it will work, do I need to do anything different than what you've described above?

Thanks in advance for your help!

well, it worked up until the install.

When I go to install OS X on my laptop (Turion 64 ml-32, Radeon Xpress 200m, 1gb, 80gb drive) install stops on ApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics Touchpad v6.2, then it says on the next line Still waiting for root device. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I tried 10.4.1, 10.4.3, and 10.4.4/5.... All Same

maybe some of your hardware are not supported?

Thanks for the great "How To" With your help I have set up a XP/OS X 10.4.5 dual boot machine. The only thing I did differently was install OS X on another internal hard drive rather than partitioning a single drive. Now for my question:

Will the "Boot Time Speedup Mini Guide" work in my situation (two separate drives)? I have a working system now and don't want to mess with it too much, but OS Selector will not recognize my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I now have an unsightly corded HP keyboard attached at all times just for booting up. If you think it will work, do I need to do anything different than what you've described above?

Thanks in advance for your help!

congrats on your dual boot!

As for your keyboard & mouse problem, i dont know how to fix, but i suspect that because OS selector loads before windows and anything else, the drivers wasn't loaded, so you can't use them.

second problem:

in acronis, do you see the drive with windows in being set to active, and the osx one wan't? if it is, then i believe the mini guide works for you also. because having two partitions on a single harddrive sort of like an emulated version of having 2 harddrives. just make your osx harddrive active and you will be fine. honestly though, i dont have 2 hardrives, so i can't say 100% for sure, but i guess it should work fine.

Uh oh! As usual, I couldn't leave well-enough alone.

I disabled OS Selector and insured that the OSX drive was marked as active. When I rebooted, however, I got a file system error. My IDE drive (OSX) is listed before my SATA drive (XP) on my machine and I think it was trying to boot Windows from the first logical drive which, of course, is currently housing OSX.

I worked around this by going into my bios and positioning the IDE drive (OSX) as the first bootable hard drive. After doing that, I am able to boot directly into OSX. Unfotunately, it looks like the Darwin boot loader is not seeing my XP installation on the SATA drive.

My first thought was to do a fixmbr on the SATA drive, return the SATA drive to the primary boot position and get back into Windows. Unfortunately, I've had mixed experience with fixmbr in the past and I'm a little tentative to do so at the moment.

Any ideas on solutions I might try before falling back on fixmbr? Is there any way to make the Darwin boot loader see XP from within OSX?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Roger

P.S. - Darwin boot loader doesn't appear to recognize my Bluetooth keyboard. For those that might be wondering.

oh no, i am sorry for giving you troubles. i am as they say, at the end of my wits....so i cant help you any further.

again, sorry for my lousy advice!

P.S. maybe you know this already, but there's a "Disk Utility" is OSX, maybe you want to play around with it to get windows to boot. Now that you know my advice is no good, you shouldn't apply any changes with it unless you are 100% sure. i am just telling you there's such a tool in OSX.

dilnalomo,

No need to apologize. You've been a great help in getting me up and running. I checked into Disk Utility and it only recognizes my NTFS XP drive. Doesn't look like I can affect any change to it.

Maybe there's a way to add XP to Darwin boot loader. I'll have to check around. I'll post back here with my findings.

Thanks again for all your help,

Roger

Following your instructions, except I DID install 10.4.5 during the initial install, I have it working great on my Dell Inspiron 710m. Thanks for the guide. I am using the darwin bootloader to dualboot either OSX or XP Pro. Thanks!

congrats! welcome to the dual boot world!

I burnt the iso to DVD, but the only thing on the DVD now is 132 KB's. I even tryed shutting down the computer and having it autostart like it's supposed to, but nothing happened. I used UltraISO to burn it. And since that didn't work I thought it was just a problem with the ISO, so I downloaded it again.

However it's the same thing. I have Burnt it to DVD, but it's not even doing anything!!

What do I do??

Here's the not so good update. I did a fixmbr to the C: drive and still no dice. I'm getting an HFS+ (sp?) error when I attempt to boot into XP which leads me to believe that Acronis OS selector is still doing some dirty work despite having disabled it. Both the XP and the OSX drive were active the last time I booted into XP. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Anybody have any advice?

Hiya guys.

This is my first post, I'm a new member.

I've been dunked in ubuntu for a few months... :D

So anyways, I think you guys can save a lot of time not going through the convert to extended and back thing. I guess you might've thought the 'extended' in 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' meant extended partition...it doesn't, it just means it's better. So you can save oodles of time just using a primary partition and letting the OS X installer format it. BTW, the VMware thing is because a lot of people don't want to go into their BIOS to change the boot sequence, or because they don't have a DVD drive (like me).

Anyways, the install was great, and I'm using grub to boot it up...I just boot into my ubuntu 5.10 CD and let it install grub (the installed OS thing in grub updates when you reinstall it). So yeah...it's just a misunderstanding with the names. You can let the OS X installer format and install straight to a primary partition. :weight_lift:

-GH

~edit~

Screenshots for VMware method:

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/2276/os...invmware8cj.png

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/3558/os...nvmware27ia.png

wished that said "Installing Finished"...this took forever...(I installed all the languages so I could get all the characters displayed properly)

Yay! I finally got it installed. But there are some problems, and I’m not sure if this is the place to post it.

But my sound card, wireless internet isn’t working. And the only screen rez I can get is 1024x768. I want to change it to 1280x1024, how can I change it. And one more thing Acronis won’t let me increase the size of that partion (even though I have lots of space left)

Other than that it works like a charm.

I have the drivers for my D-Link Air DWL-521 Wireless PCI Adapter (Wireless Internet) and for my audio driver on CD, but how do I install it on the MAC?