[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

I updated my guide with new screenshots on my little website.

dilnalomo.googlepages.com

Confirmed Success Counter: 257

Guide Translations:

Deutsch - by Snooker216

Simplified Chinese 简体中文 - by dilnalomo

Français - by DeadPixel

Hungarian - by Flamaszter.

Note: You are allowed to translate my guide into your language, as long as you let me know and allow me to add a link to it here.

If you have successfully gotten dual-boot running on your pc using my guide, please post back here with the following things as reference for other people:

1. Name of the ISO you used, with version number.
  2. Your PC specs.
  3. Anything else you want to share.

Thank you! Your help is appreciated!

Edited by dilnalomo

ok cool, did you use MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso from piratebay for this? also is there any reason why it wouldnt just happily boot? mine seems to always say "sam multimedia blah blah blah" alot of times (when in -v mode) then something about still waiting for device. ? in normal graphic mode i get an apple with a rotating thing for a while then a small circle with a cross through it appears in the centre of the screen?

I have an athlon64 X2 3800+

try putting in your XP install cd and boot into the recovery console. from there, type "fixmbr" followed by "fixboot C:" (without quotes, obviously). it will give errors saying something about a non-standard mbr. ignore them. then reboot. this worked for me in 10.4.1 giving me the boot menu from darwin allowing me to select OS X and what it calls "Foreign OS" which is Windows XP without any additional software or reinstalling XP.

try putting in your XP install cd and boot into the recovery console. from there, type "fixmbr" followed by "fixboot C:" (without quotes, obviously). it will give errors saying something about a non-standard mbr. ignore them. then reboot. this worked for me in 10.4.1 giving me the boot menu from darwin allowing me to select OS X and what it calls "Foreign OS" which is Windows XP without any additional software or reinstalling XP.

I tried to use fixboot multiple times but all i get is a "HFS+ partition error" parbably because my OSX partition wasnt a primary partition when i installed it.

also, if you have a clean harddrive to start with, use xp cd and during setup it will ask you to select a partition to install xp. you can make a second partition from there without using paritioning software. just make a second partition and take out the cd, and you can start installing OSX using my method.

Your method works for me - great!!!

Setup:

Asus P5LD2-VM (950 video built in)

Celeron D 336 2,8 Ghz

512 MB DDR2

S-ATA Hitachi 160 GB

Ethernet onboard: works directly

NEC DVD 3550: works perfectly

Audio: not working yet, have to get into it

USB: working like a charm

Speed: very faster: much faster than my IMAC G5 1,8

Troubles:

- convert to primary takes very long (40 mins for 50 GB partition), can we do that else?

- ACronis bootloader is very slow to boot, any other solutions?

THanks!

Your method works for me - great!!!

Setup:

Asus P5LD2-VM (950 video built in)

Celeron D 336 2,8 Ghz

512 MB DDR2

S-ATA Hitachi 160 GB

Ethernet onboard: works directly

NEC DVD 3550: works perfectly

Audio: not working yet, have to get into it

USB: working like a charm

Speed: very faster: much faster than my IMAC G5 1,8

Troubles:

- convert to primary takes very long (40 mins for 50 GB partition), can we do that else?

- ACronis bootloader is very slow to boot, any other solutions?

THanks!

congrats to you! you dont even have the problems that i have! how did you get your ethernet to work? mine dont work at all.

As for your troubles,

1. i have only a 10GB partition for OSX, so convertion was pretty fast for me. are you using Acronis Director suite 10? or eariler versions? maybe that's why.

2. acronis does take a few seconds to load, and then you have to waste time chosing the OS you want...blah blah blah..but in the OS Selector you can set Windows or OSX as default OS. and everytime you see OS Selector is loading, press F6 to skip it and it will boot directly with your default OS.

there's a fast way to switch to OSX or restart windows. run the OS Selector from start menu and double click on the OS you want and it will reboot directly into that OS without going through the OS Selector on boot.

Hope that helps!

would it be possible to use grub instead of acronis? i already have ubuntu and xp on my machine, so that would help immensely (since i am so accustomed to grub)

i have no idea. Cause i not am fimiliar with grub at all. But i can tell you this, using my method without acronis, after installing OSX i tried to reboot but i wasn't able to boot into xp or OSX.

i forgot what exaclty it says, but i got an error, something like " no bootable disk found, press F1 to reboot, F2 to boot setup menu".

i tried...

to use xp installtion cd to fix my xp installation- failed, after fix still wont boot either OS.

to use xp installation cd's console to fix the boot list- failed, the windows bootloader didn't even show up.

so i had to resintall everything again...

But with acronis, everything worked fine for me, the OS Selector is the first thing that loads when my computer starts, it is way better than windows' bootloader. so if grub loads like OS Selector, you can give it a try i guess...

Ethernet just worked directly

Now also my wireless works like a charm: Its a belkin FD7000 (PCI) wireless.

My sound also works now (no input, only output)

Im am very satisfied!

after searching around the fourm i am now able to get my linsys card to work by using tulip. the built-in ethernet still not working.

hmm...when i boot osx from OS Selector Darwin x86 boot menu came up, and i have a choice to boot into windows from there.

i will try to deactivate the OS Selector and see if i can boot with the Darwin boot menu instead.

i will post my results here sooner or later, sooner being it worked, i can boot with darwin, later being it failed, and i have to reinstall xp + osx...

if it works it could speed up boot time without the os selector.

hmm...when i boot osx from OS Selector Darwin x86 boot menu came up, and i have a choice to boot into windows from there.

i will try to deactivate the OS Selector and see if i can boot with the Darwin boot menu instead.

i will post my results here sooner or later, sooner being it worked, i can boot with darwin, later being it failed, and i have to reinstall xp + osx...

if it works it could speed up boot time without the os selector.

The Darwin boot loader is the best way to go in my opinon. If you can't try booting with your OS X disc and choosing the OS X installation on "Startup Disc" and rebooting.

The Darwin boot loader is the best way to go in my opinon. If you can't try booting with your OS X disc and choosing the OS X installation on "Startup Disc" and rebooting.

well turning the OS selector alone doesn't work, but use the Chain0 methods works fine without Os selector.

but the boot process is essentially the same with OS Selector: i got windows boot menu, select OSX and i get Dawin boot menu.

maybe i will try what you said, see if it works, i will modifiy the guide later. its' comfirmed now that my method can dual boot without OS Selector.

There are many ways to boot without OS Selector.

A. use windows boot loader.

this will give you:

1. windows -> boots windows

2. osx -> loads darwin,

then in darwin you get:

1. windows(default) ->goes back to windows boot loader

2. osx

B. instead of your windows partition, you set your osx parition as active, and darwin boot loader boots

1. windows -> boots windows

2. osx(default) -> boots osx

C. Use linux boot loader GRUB.

i dont know how that works cause i never used it.

interesting - i can't change the boot volue in OS X's System Config. the window just closes by itself. any ideas?

i've got a Dell 6000, one hard drive with 3 primary partions: XP, OSX86 & a data partition.

as far as i know, you cant change anything in darwin boot loader.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just gotten Acronis Disk Dicrector Suite (LEGAL). And I'm "getting" OSX86 "the myz iso". And I just bought a DVD burner off of Ebay. It should be here via Fedex in a couple of days. And by then I should have OSX86. Can't wait!!

----

edit

----

Added some images:

screen21yh.th.gif screen3ra.th.gif

hey, good luck to you, just make sure your hardware supports 10.4.5 or at lesat 10.4.4.

I am a little uncertain about that. So used cpuz, as recommended to see. So I took these screenshots. Can you tell me if my computer will run it?

cpu0kg.th.gif cache5kb.th.gif mainboard1hy.th.gif

memory1er.th.gif spd9sq.th.gif

Oh, and another thing. I'm getting an extra 512 MB or Ram, soon. So... yeah, can my computer run it?

i checked our processor in wiki, it's supported by 10.4.5.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.4.5

i am not sure how other hardware works, some people have problems with sata harddrives, which i didn't have with my dell. and some poeple have problems with their dvd drives,etc. you should check around for more info on that.

I just got Acronis 9 working this morning. BTW, the Acronis Disk Director Suite is worth every penny. It makes partitioning, changing from extended to primary partitions, formatting, booting multiple OSes, etc. an absolute breeze. BUY THIS SOFTWARE.

I'll add my experience thus far:

1) Installed Windows XP on 1/3 of a 200GB SATA drive

2) Installed Fedora Core 5 on 1/3 of the same drive

3) Used Acronis to create a partition and format (undefined format type) the remaining 1/3 of the disk

4) Used Acronis to make that partition PRIMARY (absolutely necessary)

5) Used the dd method to put 10.4.1 on the other 1/3 (I'll be going for the bootable 10.4.5 DVD next and will report back as to whether this still works).

6) Installed Acronis OS Selector. Now when the machine boots I'm greeted by all three OS choices. All work!

If I select Fedora Core 5 in Acronis OS Selector Grub comes up a moment later - this is useful to switch between kernels as required but doesn't interfere Acronis at all.