[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

Hi,

I try using ur guide but I'm stuck on step 4. Basically it doesn't move past the Apple logo on the gray background. It also has a square with a x mark in the middle. Waited at least 45 mintues with no movement.

Hi,

I try using ur guide but I'm stuck on step 4. Basically it doesn't move past the Apple logo on the gray background. It also has a square with a x mark in the middle. Waited at least 45 mintues with no movement.

did you try take the dvd out and boot with it again? try that.

I tried it at least 3 times already. My machine is a Dell 2350 P4 1.8 ghz 640mb ram etc...

I might try installing it on my newer Dell, E510 2.8 dual core.

And I used this......MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso

Edit: after trying again, same problem. Should I download another iso??

do I need to make that drive primary???

I think there are two things I might be doing wrong.

When I create the initial partition to install OS X on should I be creating a primary or logical partition?

Also how do I work out if my PC needs the SSE2 or 3 patches? And if it needs the motherboard patches?

Ok, i just got jas 10.4.6 downloaded and tried to boot and i get teh square with a cross thorough it, any ideas?? I am going to try to get another one and see if it works.

I am editing this post, i decided to try VMware before i spent 2 days downloading another iso, It seems to be working well at the moment so i will keep my fingers crossed and hope that the problems I had before are fixed by the acronis boot manager.

Ok, i just got jas 10.4.6 downloaded and tried to boot and i get teh square with a cross thorough it, any ideas?? I am going to try to get another one and see if it works.

I am editing this post, i decided to try VMware before i spent 2 days downloading another iso, It seems to be working well at the moment so i will keep my fingers crossed and hope that the problems I had before are fixed by the acronis boot manager.

I'm having the same problem with the square and a cross. I using a different iso then u. It seems that many ppl are having this problem.

I tried it using vmware. It works fine but its really slow. I wouldn't recommend it.

I have installed the 10.4.6 Jas via VMware but i can also boot to it natively, I got the file from piratebay, just search 10.4.6. I haven't been able to get anything else working yet, but if I make any progress with wireless or anything I will post it.

*edit* I am posting this from safari now, I got my wireless card working as a airport!!! about to start working on screen res and posibly sound.

well, I tried the installation again, this time using my newer PC(Dell E510/5150 2.8 dual core) Now its just stuck on the gray background. The square box with the cross on it didn't appeared. I waited at least 45 mintues. What did I do wrong???

I think there are two things I might be doing wrong.

When I create the initial partition to install OS X on should I be creating a primary or logical partition?

Also how do I work out if my PC needs the SSE2 or 3 patches? And if it needs the motherboard patches?

if you are using my guide, you make a logical partition, then convert it into primary in step 7.

if you machine does not support SSE3, dont install the patch for it.

well, I tried the installation again, this time using my newer PC(Dell E510/5150 2.8 dual core) Now its just stuck on the gray background. The square box with the cross on it didn't appeared. I waited at least 45 mintues. What did I do wrong???

you mean this box?

post-27365-1148264091_thumb.jpg

this thing showed up after osx is installed, and it should disappears to the left side and in the next screen you will start setting up your osx for the first time. you shouldn't have any error here, if you do..then i dont know what's wrong, and this error is probably not generated by my guide...

I think you can add me as another success story. I reinstalled, and I've been able to boot into OSX after several restarts.

1) I think my problem may have been editing the com.apple.Boot.plist file

For one, when I put in <key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>"1280x1024x32@60"</string> I didn't stick it at the end, but right before the last two </blah>'s at the end. Would this make a difference? How should that file look like when all is said and done?

Also I didn't test out the resolution beforehand, and my monitor only supports 1280 x 800 (I think). How do I test it out using the '-x "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@85" method at boot? I don't know how that works. Do I just type -x at the Grey Apple screen?

Also, Apple doesn't have the drivers for my particular graphics card (ATI Mobility X1300). Will this affect what resolution I can use?

2) I used the HOTISO release, which as I understand it is the same as the Jas version. Where is iLife '06?

3) Is there a way to add an OSX logo for the Acronis OS Selector?

Thanks for the great guide!

I think you can add me as another success story. I reinstalled, and I've been able to boot into OSX after several restarts.

1) I think my problem may have been editing the com.apple.Boot.plist file

For one, when I put in <key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>"1280x1024x32@60"</string> I didn't stick it at the end, but right before the last two </blah>'s at the end. Would this make a difference? How should that file look like when all is said and done?

Also I didn't test out the resolution beforehand, and my monitor only supports 1280 x 800 (I think). How do I test it out using the '-x "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@85" method at boot? I don't know how that works. Do I just type -x at the Grey Apple screen?

Also, Apple doesn't have the drivers for my particular graphics card (ATI Mobility X1300). Will this affect what resolution I can use?

2) I used the HOTISO release, which as I understand it is the same as the Jas version. Where is iLife '06?

3) Is there a way to add an OSX logo for the Acronis OS Selector?

Thanks for the great guide!

great! you finally got it working!

1) mine looks like this at the end

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1280x1024x32@60"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

if you have something like this, its not right

</dict>
</plist>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>

you have an ati card, you should try this. http://omni.starchaser.org/ it's still in alpha stage though, but it's improving.

2) i think most ISO releases does not include iLife.

3) i dont think so...

also, i added alot of picture to the guide, it's now a pictorial. lol, sorry for the cellphone pics, it's not very good quality.

they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so now my guide is worth 33000 plus words...hope this will make getting dual-boot even easier.

if you are using my guide, you make a logical partition, then convert it into primary in step 7.

if you machine does not support SSE3, dont install the patch for it.

you mean this box?

post-27365-1148264091_thumb.jpg

this thing showed up after osx is installed, and it should disappears to the left side and in the next screen you will start setting up your osx for the first time. you shouldn't have any error here, if you do..then i dont know what's wrong, and this error is probably not generated by my guide...

no, not that...first when I tried installing it on my older PC, its a gary background with the apple in the middle, aftering waiting like 5 mints. a little square box will appear with a censored on it.

I just tried installing it on my newer PC, its still stuck on the gary background but the little square box disappeared.

I been browsing this forum and did see some ppl with the same problem.

I really like your improved guide, and I really like how you highlighted the need to Customize (something I missed at first and had to cancel the whole installation lol). Thanks for this great guide, the pictures make it easy for just about anyone to give OSX a try (barring any unforseen hardware problems)

Also, I think I figured out the -x thing from this helpful thread http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=12856 edit: actually no, I can never seem to press F8 at the right time during that hilariously small time frame :)

Has anyone been able to get the :

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

to work on 10.4.6? I enter it in but the file is in a different directory than the tutorial, instead of starting in username/Library it starts in Library/ (there is a difference) but the com.apple.boot file is there. I just cannot get it to work and Callisto isn't working now either.

I still keep getting an error when installing it. I get to about 80% of "Writing files" and then it just stops with the message: "There were errors installing the software" "Please try installing again".

I've made sure to click all the right patches but it still dosent work.

I still keep getting an error when installing it. I get to about 80% of "Writing files" and then it just stops with the message: "There were errors installing the software" "Please try installing again".

I've made sure to click all the right patches but it still dosent work.

I think that you should try and burn a new dvd-disc. Had similar problems at first. Burned 1 image with Alcohol120 @ 4x That didn´t work. Tried with Nero @ 2x...NOPE. Then, pretty desperate, I tried with Nero but this time @ 16x. That did it!!

You might have to spend a empty DVD or two to get it to work.

Good Luck!!

I really like your improved guide, and I really like how you highlighted the need to Customize (something I missed at first and had to cancel the whole installation lol). Thanks for this great guide, the pictures make it easy for just about anyone to give OSX a try (barring any unforseen hardware problems)

Also, I think I figured out the -x thing from this helpful thread http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=12856 edit: actually no, I can never seem to press F8 at the right time during that hilariously small time frame :)

:) i am trying to improve it everyday, hope it will get even easier later on. :D

Has anyone been able to get the :

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

to work on 10.4.6? I enter it in but the file is in a different directory than the tutorial, instead of starting in username/Library it starts in Library/ (there is a difference) but the com.apple.boot file is there. I just cannot get it to work and Callisto isn't working now either.

oh sorr, my bad, i was writing that out of my head...so it does start with library/....and it should work in 10.4.6. Callisto is getting better everyday, give it a try later when it is developed more.

I think that you should try and burn a new dvd-disc. Had similar problems at first. Burned 1 image with Alcohol120 @ 4x That didn´t work. Tried with Nero @ 2x...NOPE. Then, pretty desperate, I tried with Nero but this time @ 16x. That did it!!

You might have to spend a empty DVD or two to get it to work.

Good Luck!!

:D did you skip the dvd check like i did? my dvd turned out fine...guess your not as lucky..anyway, i burnt my dvd at the max speed for my dvd drive, and it works.

no, not that...first when I tried installing it on my older PC, its a gary background with the apple in the middle, aftering waiting like 5 mints. a little square box will appear with a censored on it.

I just tried installing it on my newer PC, its still stuck on the gary background but the little square box disappeared.

I been browsing this forum and did see some ppl with the same problem.

ummm...i honestly dont know what the square box is, but could you try burning a new DVD? Cause Zepofan fixed his problem this way. you can try it.

Well, I didn't install my dual-boot exactly as you described, but I think I can contribute here.

My usual boot manager is System Commander (8.x), from which I can also make partitions active and/or hidden or not. But anyways I used diskpart in windows to create the "id=af" partition, although the MacOSX disk utility might have been enough I think (I didn't test this assertion). But I wanted to put all the chances on my side at the time...

I created a primary partition for osx on the same disk as my win2k partition. Rebooting I made that new partition active, then I installed MacOSX (myzar, check specs below). All went fine essentially.

Except for dual booting: with System Commander, always got the infamous "HFS+ partition error". Dang!

So I decided to just use the chain0 trick in boot.ini, not try SysCom to load osx, and let the windows boot manager do it. It worked of course, but it's not a satisfactory solution for me.

So I turned to this thread. I hesitated, because I had problems with OS Selector in the past (v8 or v9, don't remember). But the fact that AOSS seemed to work with osx, according to this guide, made me decide to try with AOSS v.10. So I disabled SysComm and installed AOSS.

Apart for a glitch, probably because I had forgotten to remove the chain0 bit from boot.ini, the Acronis OS Selector worked! My win2k and osx are recognized, and I'm happy, except for the slowness of AOSS (and i'm used to clicking the os icon in sys.comm., not dbl-clicking!).

Notice that I didn't have to install MacOSX in a logical partition first: doing it right away in a primary partition of type 0xAF* worked.

I didn't use Acronis Disk Director to create and manipulate the partitions, but I wonder if it matters, and if that extra step with installing in a logical partition is crucial.

And I'm still wondering why my System Commander didn't work. Have any user successfully dual-booted with Sys.Com.? I'd like to know how.

Staying with Acronis... for now...

Final note: I also installed SUSE Linux 10.1 yesterday, in a logical partition (with booter in local partition boot sector), and Acronis takes care of it quite well also.

/edited june7th: * type 0xAF is important here. You can use acronis disk director to set to this type.

After being completely unable to press F8 during the outrageous .02 millisecond window of oppurtunity, I edited the resolution in the "com.apple.boot.plist" file as outlined, and got the same weird text commands I got before upon booting. Now I'm locked out of OSX until I can fix that one file.

Is there any way I can edit it in Windows? Can the boot disk repair it? Or do I have reinstall yet again over something so small?