[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

you can restart and try again, i got stuck once during install too. but when i tried the second time it works fine.

That is correct, I can triple boot my machine between XP, OS X and Linux.

so you are using GRUB as you loader? if you select osx in grub does it load darwin or osx directly?

you can restart and try again, i got stuck once during install too. but when i tried the second time it works fine.

so you are using GRUB as you loader? if you select osx in grub does it load darwin or osx directly?

I'm using both Acronis OS Selector and Grub. Here's how it works:

1) Boot computer

2) Acronis OS Selector asks me if I want to boot a) OS X :) XP or c) FC5

3) Selecting a or b goes directly to that OS (or Darwin then OS X more specifically I suppose). Selecting FC5 brings up Grub at which point I can pick which Linux kernel I want to load. I could also add the XP and OS X options to Grub but the way I have it configured I don't much see the point.

Okay, I've made it as far as the disk utility converting partition part. Except...I can't seem to figure out how to make my partition a journaled one. I can see my partitions, but they're all gray, and I can't seem to figure out how to change them. What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I've made it as far as the disk utility converting partition part. Except...I can't seem to figure out how to make my partition a journaled one. I can see my partitions, but they're all gray, and I can't seem to figure out how to change them. What am I doing wrong?

they are gray because they are not a mac partition for installing osx, you have to reformat it into a Mac OS Extended (journaled) partition.

in disck utility select the partition you want to convert, then click "Erase" on the right side, then in "Volume Format" select "Mac OS Extended (journaled)", finally click "Erase free space".

Uhm....okay so I reinstalled and now the HFS+ partition error is gone, but something else strange happens. I select OSX in the Acronis selector upon startup, and it goes through a little timer that asks me to select startup options. After that, a whole bunch of lines scroll past, as it seems to be loading things.

Then, it stops and there is a bunch of white text on the screen and a solid, non blinking cursor at the bottom.

Towards the top of this white text is the message (in yellow text):

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleHPET

could not alloc class "AppleHPET"

What does this mean?

My ISO file is 4,588,544 KB. I have it 100% downloaded (via torrent). But when I use UltraISO it says that the file is only 133 KB. I even tryed to extract it with Winrar, but I only get some small files (less than a MB.) Is there some hidden file? Or is my file corrupt?

Uhm....okay so I reinstalled and now the HFS+ partition error is gone, but something else strange happens. I select OSX in the Acronis selector upon startup, and it goes through a little timer that asks me to select startup options. After that, a whole bunch of lines scroll past, as it seems to be loading things.

Then, it stops and there is a bunch of white text on the screen and a solid, non blinking cursor at the bottom.

Towards the top of this white text is the message (in yellow text):

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleHPET

could not alloc class "AppleHPET"

What does this mean?

that little timer you saw was Darwin, osx's boot loader. press any key and you get to choose to boot windows or osx.

those white texts you saw is osx loading in verbose mode, so you can tell what happens when something goes wrong on boot.

i have that "Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleHPET" too, but my osx loads fine everytime i load it, so i guess it doesn't matter.

My ISO file is 4,588,544 KB. I have it 100% downloaded (via torrent). But when I use UltraISO it says that the file is only 133 KB. I even tryed to extract it with Winrar, but I only get some small files (less than a MB.) Is there some hidden file? Or is my file corrupt?

i think you should try using other cd burning software, make sure it has a function like "burn cd fom iso image"

i think you should try using other cd burning software, make sure it has a function like "burn cd fom iso image"

It's not just UltraISO. Even when viewing the files in WinRar, it doesn't show anything bigger than a MB.

another thing, you can't extract the iso on a fat32 partition, because it doesn't support files that are larger than 4GBs, but NTFS does.

I have WinXP Pro w/ SP2 (NTFS). But if you look at the screenshots, it doesn't even look like that file is there!

screen21yh.th.gif screen3ra.th.gif

Was I just too impatient after seeing that text - was it just loading some more? I couldn't tell if it was still loading or had just froze...

after the white texts went from the bottom of the screen to the top it should load fine.

It's not just UltraISO. Even when viewing the files in WinRar, it doesn't show anything bigger than a MB.

I have WinXP Pro w/ SP2 (NTFS). But if you look at the screenshots, it doesn't even look like that file is there!

screen21yh.th.gif screen3ra.th.gif

have you tried buring the iso into a DVD? it might work if you actually burn it.

Okay so a bunch of white text scrolls by as it's loading. Then some smaller white text comes up with that particular error message in yellow. Then it doesn't really seem to be doing anything. I don't know if it's loading or if it's had an error or......what to do. What should I be seeing?

The guide (:construction:) worked for me but pretty stupid program, uninstalled it asap. I was already seeing both the partitioned drives and could choose i dont even know why I did this :construction:. Now it defaults and starts XP and I dont even have the option to start mac. I think it was the darwin bootloader, any idea how I can get it back?

The guide (:construction:) worked for me but pretty stupid program, uninstalled it asap. I was already seeing both the partitioned drives and could choose i dont even know why I did this :construction:. Now it defaults and starts XP and I dont even have the option to start mac. I think it was the darwin bootloader, any idea how I can get it back?

what's this stupid program are you talking about? and what did you do to your dual boot? i dont understand what you said.

Okay so a bunch of white text scrolls by as it's loading. Then some smaller white text comes up with that particular error message in yellow. Then it doesn't really seem to be doing anything. I don't know if it's loading or if it's had an error or......what to do. What should I be seeing?

as i said before, i got this little yellow message too. so far, seems to me that it doesn't do anything, so just ignore it. if you can load osx you are fine.

Well I should have said something like, not enough space on CD, Insert a DVD or something like that. Anyways when you look at the screenshots, there is no file that is above 1 MB.

i think you shoud just wait for your dvd wrtier and try burning a dvd off the iso.