[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

After being completely unable to press F8 during the outrageous .02 millisecond window of oppurtunity, I edited the resolution in the "com.apple.boot.plist" file as outlined, and got the same weird text commands I got before upon booting. Now I'm locked out of OSX until I can fix that one file.

Is there any way I can edit it in Windows? Can the boot disk repair it? Or do I have reinstall yet again over something so small?

try MacDrive. you can access your osx partition in windows with MacDrive.

Well, I didn't install my dual-boot exactly as you described, but I think I can contribute here.

My usual boot manager is System Commander (8.x), from which I can also make partitions active and/or hidden or not. But anyways I used diskpart in windows to create the "id=af" partition, although the MacOSX disk utility might have been enough I think (I didn't test this assertion). But I wanted to put all the chances on my side at the time...

I created a primary partition for osx on the same disk as my win2k partition. Rebooting I made that new partition active, then I installed MacOSX (myzar, check specs below). All went fine essentially.

Except for dual booting: with System Commander, always got the infamous "HFS+ partition error". Dang!

So I decided to just use the chain0 trick in boot.ini, not try SysCom to load osx, and let the windows boot manager do it. It worked of course, but it's not a satisfactory solution for me.

So I turned to this thread. I hesitated, because I had problems with OS Selector in the past (v8 or v9, don't remember). But the fact that AOSS seemed to work with osx, according to this guide, made me decide to try with AOSS v.10. So I disabled SysComm and installed AOSS.

Apart for a glitch, probably because I had forgotten to remove the chain0 bit from boot.ini, the Acronis OS Selector worked! My win2k and osx are recognized, and I'm happy, except for the slowness of AOSS (and i'm used to clicking the os icon in sys.comm., not dbl-clicking!).

Notice that I didn't have to install MacOSX in a logical partition first: doing it right away in a primary partition worked.

I didn't use Acronis Disk Director to create and manipulate the partitions, but I wonder if it matters, and if that extra step with installing in a logical partition is crucial.

And I'm still wondering why my System Commander didn't work. Have any user successfully dual-booted with Sys.Com.? I'd like to know how.

Staying with Acronis... for now...

Final note: I also installed SUSE Linux 10.1 yesterday, in a logical partition (with booter in local partition boot sector), and Acronis takes care of it quite well also.

isn't diskpart a command line tool? you can simply use acronis to create, convert, set active altogether, isn't this way simpler?

Problem is, my Mac partition, being FAT32, Mac Journaled and all doesn't show up as a partition under Windows XP.

after you install MacDrive you will see your osx partition in My Computer, and you can edit files, copy and paste..etc...

Yeah, I'm not seeing it, even after a couple restarts. I know there's an incompatibility with Alcohol 120% and Daemon but I never installed those.

Here's how my OSX drive is set up in Acronis

drives8xt.gif

edit: lol i think i figured it out. The problem was it had no drive letter attached. Now it says I can't write to that particular disk. hmmm

No, I know exactly what you meant. I go into my My Computer, can browse my OSX Drive, but I can't actually write to it. It says it's protected. I think I'm just going to reinstall.

well..that's weird...

"isn't diskpart a command line tool? you can simply use acronis to create, convert, set active altogether, isn't this way simpler?"

I installed many weeks before I came to your thread.

Usually I use SystemCommander to partition, as well as other tools. I used diskpart because at that time I was just beginning with this osx stuff, and most instructions I was reading suggested diskpart, especially to put that 'id=af'.

If I have to reinstall or put on another pc, I would now use the usual partitioning apps (from vcom, acronis or others) rather than diskpart, of course. I was just overly caution at the time.

/edit june7th: I have now to say that a partitioning app that can change the partition type is important. Acronis Disk Director can do that, as well as diskpart, and others. To my knowledge VCom Partition Commander doesn't. It's important to set to type 0xAF to install on a primary partion.

I need some tips here...

I have an entire drive for OSX86. What do I need to do to be able to resize the partition, install XP, and then set up dual booting?

I realize this is the exact opposite of the "regular" way to do this.

I need some tips here...

I have an entire drive for OSX86. What do I need to do to be able to resize the partition, install XP, and then set up dual booting?

I realize this is the exact opposite of the "regular" way to do this.

if iam reading this right...you have a pc with no os on it? and you want to install xp and then dual boot?

I'm sorry. I have a full disk with OSx86 already on it. I'd like to make this partition smaller so I can allocate some space into a second partition, for WindowsXP.

use disk utility in osx..but i am not sure if resizing your drive will erase your data in osx. i knoe for sure that in windows it wont erase things by resizing...but i dont know about disk utility.

OK, I got another version. Did everything in the guide. But when I click on the Mac OS in OS selector it loads Windows XP....??

I'm thinking i've done something wrong but everything seemed to go ok in the installation...

Any ideas as to whats happened?

EDIT: scrap that, its because the os selecter was booting from the wrong partition...or something. I think its sorted now....If so I will post back with details of iso used and set up.

umm...

edit:

in acronis, right-clcik on OSX icon and choose properties, the click on Partitions in the list. on the right you will see a list of partitions. see screenie. do you see something like that listed for osx partition?

post-27365-1148409812_thumb.jpg

i dont know if this means anything or not..just want to show you mine as a reference....

Right, I had it all working. Then I installed some updates. Restarted. But now it gets stuck on the screen just after where it says "MAC OSX is starting up" Sometimes the dock will pop up half way but then everything seems to freeze. I can still move the mouse but nothing else is happening.

Is it the update I installed thats messed it up? One was something to do with updates for an intel PC.

i think it is the update that's messed up. you can install updates to itune, safari and such, but you cant install big updates like security updates 2006-003, these updates cant be installed the normal way.

what do you mean?

Sorry, I was referring to my post. I'm having trouble booting natively; my OSX install only works in vmware. But since this is the dual boot thread, I copied my post, deleted it, and pasted it in the vmware thread. :^)