[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

i installed osx upgraded to 10.4.6 i had made 2 partitions one for osx and one (using diskutility in osx)for windows using fat32

i installed windows xp and had it format the fat32 partition i made in osx disk utility and did the windows install

of course it booted to XP only no choice on the xp F8 so i did what someone suggested in this thread and booted windows cd and did the fixmbr and fixboot c: option but it has made no difference no options but windows to boot

so whith what I have done which is the easiest best fix to get preferably darwin boot loader or at least windows bootloader with an osx boot option on it.. This thread has confused me a bit as there are quite a few differing options depending on who you are and if you have a single disc or 2 or how you set up your partitions

cheers

ok i got mine to go

copy chain0 off your osx86 install DVD to c:\

Find and edit boot.ini to give you the option of booting osx86

It is in c:\ it is a windows file so will probably need to boot windows and make sure the option is on to see invisible AND system files I set my windows partition to NTFS so it is not esitable from OSX if you set yours to fat32 osx can mod it ok.

here is my modified boot.ini file

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=c:\chain0

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Winodws XP Proffessional"/noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\chain0="Mac OS X86

so now in boot the windows bootload pops up with 2 options osx86 being default

on choosing this it goes to the darwin boot which now has 2 options windows and OSX

interesting if u choose windows it puts u back at windows boot menu and u have to make a choice again

Ok this is really simple for most of you but I find there is never enough details for us no techno types so I hope this helps someone

please note my setup is 1 hard disc made to 2 partitions by osx diskutility OSX installed first then windows to the other partition

Am I able to use normal mac catalyst drivers for my radeon x1800xl? Right now I can only get 1024x768.

Also, which (if any) wireless cards will work and have drivers for the mac OS? I think somone had mentioned getting a linksys card working earlier in the thread, is there a certain model that's needed and where do you get the drivers?

Am I able to use normal mac catalyst drivers for my radeon x1800xl? Right now I can only get 1024x768.

Also, which (if any) wireless cards will work and have drivers for the mac OS? I think somone had mentioned getting a linksys card working earlier in the thread, is there a certain model that's needed and where do you get the drivers?

mod your com.apple.boot.plist like it says in the wiki and get the res up

u can force it at boot as well to test it.. the wiki is your friend

Thanks to your guide, my dual-boot is running perfectly on my Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop. Thanks a bunch!

you are welcome! glad to see my guide works on laptops too. :hysterical:

Thanks to your guide, my dual-boot is running perfectly on my Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop. Thanks a bunch!

i htink some one is making an ati driver that works on macs. check out the driver forum.

dilnalomo, great guide...I only have one little hang up.

I created a partition, though when I am in the disk utility for osx86....it doesnt show the created partition. Only the windows nt formatted partition. Any ideas?

I hate to come off as persistant...but I dont have a clue as to what could be cause the problem.

I followed all of your steps exactly...yet the disk utility doesnt show the partition I created :-/

Any help would be very much appreciated :) Thanks for the help guys.

I hate to come off as persistant...but I dont have a clue as to what could be cause the problem.

I followed all of your steps exactly...yet the disk utility doesnt show the partition I created :-/

Any help would be very much appreciated :) Thanks for the help guys.

you mean you have 2 partitions and disk utility only showed the partition with windows on and not the other one?

I'd make a 10 gig partition...but it would only show up as 10mb.

Right when I was about to give up, I tried installing it on my compaq v2000 laptop. and it worked PERFECTLY. Only aspect of osx that doesnt work is the airport driver...which I've been trying to fix.

Thanks for the great guide :idea:

Does all of this apply to the newly released Jas.10.4.6 ISO? I applied the PPF that was released yesterday as I also have a Compaq v2000 series. (v2575CA)

-- Phob

Is your wifi working by any chance? I tried editing the kext's....but nothing has really worked for me yet. Once I get internet access for that baby, it'll be a fully usable os in my opinion. Any help is realllllly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Hi!!! I used your method and worked for me =D

I couldn't use OS Selector but when I converted the extended partition into primary Darwin booted (before that the laptop said no OS installed even when doing fixboot or fixmbr with the Windows CD).

Right now the only thing that works is sound output and firewire. None of the USB appears to work (tried with a cordless mouse that works with Panther).

Now I have a question. Is there a way to make OS X mount and extended NTFS volume?? it mounts the Windows partition that's a primary one but the other partition with all my files isn't mounted. What could happen if I convert it to primary and have 3 primary partitions on just one HD?

Thanks for your guide!!! it was very useful =D

Hi!!! I used your method and worked for me =D

I couldn't use OS Selector but when I converted the extended partition into primary Darwin booted (before that the laptop said no OS installed even when doing fixboot or fixmbr with the Windows CD).

Right now the only thing that works is sound output and firewire. None of the USB appears to work (tried with a cordless mouse that works with Panther).

Now I have a question. Is there a way to make OS X mount and extended NTFS volume?? it mounts the Windows partition that's a primary one but the other partition with all my files isn't mounted. What could happen if I convert it to primary and have 3 primary partitions on just one HD?

Thanks for your guide!!! it was very useful =D

you are welcome!

i have a backup partition that's extended fat32, not primary, os x mounted it. but i am not sure about ntfs. converting it to a primary may or may not work. After messing up a 10.4.6 update install, i dont have dual-boot now. so i cant test it for you. you can try converting it to a primary, just make sure you backup everyhthing first.

you are welcome!

i have a backup partition that's extended fat32, not primary, os x mounted it. but i am not sure about ntfs. converting it to a primary may or may not work. After messing up a 10.4.6 update install, i dont have dual-boot now. so i cant test it for you. you can try converting it to a primary, just make sure you backup everyhthing first.

Tried it and didn't worked =( not even Windows could see the other partition when it was primary so I switched back to extended. I'll need to learn a lot about OS X now :blink:

Thanx again for the guide :angel: