[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

@ dinalomo

Many thanks! I actually just upgraded to Disk Director Suite 10 as Acronis makes a great product and I'm happy to support them.

I was under the impression that converting a partition to Primary would destroy the data on it - glad to hear that is not the case.

I got it working!!! I had to use a weird pin VGA pin trick I found on this forum, and I forgot to make my MAC partition active at first, but now it works!! Thanks a lot for all the help!!

Now, if somebody can point me in the right direction for getting my mouse pad to work, and not having to do this stupid vga pin {censored}...

GRUB works. I've done it before (with 10.4.3) but don't ask me now what I did to get it to work as I've formatted the drive and lost the config. I do know though that the info was in the Wiki for GRUB. I previously had a triple booting laptop with XP/OSX/Kubuntu and used GRUB but now I just have OSX 10.4.6 on it and will install XP soon. If I had done 3 partitions (like before) I'd share my config but I'm going to use just XP/OSX for now. (I'll either learn WinGrub, or the boot.ini method but if I get frustrated, I might use Acronis as mentioned above).

This might be worth a look (WinGrub instead of Grub)

The text I used to config Grub was something similar to whats at the bottom of that article. You'll just need to find out which partition (using fdisk) holds OSX and then configured Grub from there. Good luck!

:)

There are many ways to boot without OS Selector.

A. use windows boot loader.

this will give you:

1. windows -> boots windows

2. osx -> loads darwin,

then in darwin you get:

1. windows(default) ->goes back to windows boot loader

2. osx

B. instead of your windows partition, you set your osx parition as active, and darwin boot loader boots

1. windows -> boots windows

2. osx(default) -> boots osx

C. Use linux boot loader GRUB.

i dont know how that works cause i never used it.

as far as i know, you cant change anything in darwin boot loader.

I have use boot loader Grub and it works

I'm so frustrated! I have a copy of PartitionMagic, but it can't o anything with the HFS+ partition. I have a copy of Disk Director Suite, but that, for some reason, uninstalls itself after every install attempt (maybe this is an anti-piracy trick, but I'm trying to install a trial version), leaving me with an error message with something about not being able to remove the software. It's really annoying, and I want to find an alternative. Could anyone tell me how to convert the partition to primary after installation of OSX, preferable with PartitionMagic or a free utility?

i dont know how to use partitionmagic, but in partitionmagic, try right-click on the partition and see if it has some function like "convert" then try to convert it.

i've used acronis many times and it worked fined for me. i dont think it uninstalls itself as an anti-piracy trick, maybe it has conflicts with partitionmagic..i dont know...you can try the chain0 method if you want.

Sorry... I uninstalled PartitionMagic, because it refused to let me do anything with the Mac partition. I tried again with the server version of the software (trial edition) and the same problem keeps happening. The chain0 method doesn't work for some reason (I think it's because it's still a logical partition, all it does is spin the cursor for a second and dump me back to the Windows boot screen) and it won't install if I try to install straight onto a primary partition(it gives me the "could not read the partition map" error). I'm at my wit's end. I thank you for your effort in helping me, but maybe it's because of something inherent in my laptop (the partitions were arranged strangely when I looked at it in PartitionMagic- there's a recovery partition before C:, so that might have something to do with the problem) , which is a Sony Vaio TR-5EB (It's a Japanese import, so maybe the people here with US-based laptops are lacking whatever is causing the problem. Again, I thank you for the help, but my computer just can't seem to get along with the Acronis software, which seems to be the key to the whole procedure.

another confirmed success! It's on a Compaq R3000 (3420US) Presario running Myz 10.4.5. First time i installed i got a 'ivalid partition table' error on boot. This is much nicer.

i'll post more info on my rig in the HCL but basically everything is working except the Nvidia graphics card. Tried all the patches, and the self-installer, but none of it worked. I guess i'll just have to wait for build3 :D

Thanks a ton!

rje

I have did your ever last step and it did not work, i got that please restart your computer. I tried OSX86 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, & 4.6 and did the chin0 steps , i applied all patches and every thing and still no luck, but every thing works perfectly in VMware Workstaion 5.5. Every time i get that panic error . :D this {censored} me of.

kp.jpg

The only thing that works natively is the Deadmoo Flat image

eMachine W3107

AMD Sempron 3100+ processor

1.8GHz 256KB L2 Cache

1600MHz System Bus

512MB DDR

100GB (7200 rpm, 2MB Cache)hard drive

nVidia GeForce 6100 GPU up to 128MB of shared video memory

6-Channel (5.1) AC?97 Audio w/ Amplified Stereo Speakers

At least it starts to boot now, but it now says that it can't map some drivers (or something along those lines) when I boot it in text mode. In graphic mode, it just keeps spinning the circle timer and won't do anything. I am sure that my hardware is supported- I have a friend with the same laptop who tried it with success. (Well... he used the Acronis software, I didn't). Thank you for your help.

another confirmed success! It's on a Compaq R3000 (3420US) Presario running Myz 10.4.5. First time i installed i got a 'ivalid partition table' error on boot. This is much nicer.

i'll post more info on my rig in the HCL but basically everything is working except the Nvidia graphics card. Tried all the patches, and the self-installer, but none of it worked. I guess i'll just have to wait for build3 :)

Thanks a ton!

rje

u r welcome. i believe the graphic cards drivers are still in alpha and beta stages, so supports for more cards will be added down the road. just sit back and enjoy the mouse tearing for now.

I have did your ever last step and it did not work, i got that please restart your computer. I tried OSX86 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, & 4.6 and did the chin0 steps , i applied all patches and every thing and still no luck, but every thing works perfectly in VMware Workstaion 5.5. Every time i get that panic error . :D this {censored} me of.

kp.jpg

The only thing that works natively is the Deadmoo Flat image

eMachine W3107

AMD Sempron 3100+ processor

1.8GHz 256KB L2 Cache

1600MHz System Bus

512MB DDR

100GB (7200 rpm, 2MB Cache)hard drive

nVidia GeForce 6100 GPU up to 128MB of shared video memory

6-Channel (5.1) AC?97 Audio w/ Amplified Stereo Speakers

i never experienced this problem, so i cant help you..now, but i am going to do a little research on the solution,and add this to the Q & A. in the mean time, you can race me to it, and post your result here. :D

At least it starts to boot now, but it now says that it can't map some drivers (or something along those lines) when I boot it in text mode. In graphic mode, it just keeps spinning the circle timer and won't do anything. I am sure that my hardware is supported- I have a friend with the same laptop who tried it with success. (Well... he used the Acronis software, I didn't). Thank you for your help.

you should ask your friend to help you on this, if he did it correctly you should be able to do the same.

If you are using chain0, you have to push F8 right after loading chain0, then pick your boot drive- that was why I thought that my installation was broken at first(well, it's still broken, but at least I got to the spinning thing and the apple)

I had my friend walk me through the installation a second time, and then he asked me why I was just going to install it without applying the patches. I feel so dumb now, not seeing the patches under the "Customize" button in the installer. Sorry! Mine works now, except for my internal touchpad and keyboard- I have to use a USB keyboard and mouse when I boot into OSX now/ The wireless doesn't work either, but that 's OK.

For a reference, my specs are-

Sony VAIO PCG-TR5EB

900MHz Celeron M processor

512KB cache

256MB RAM

40GB HDD

Intel integrated graphics, up to 64MB shared memory

SoundMAX integrated audio

Thanks a ton for the guide dilnalomo!

I installed correctly...I have made my Mac a primary but when I select it in Acronis Boot Loader, it launchers me into the Darwin count thing....if I just let the counter wind down, it boots into Windows. If I hit any key to go into setup, I can choose Windows or the Mac OS, when I choose Mac, it loads a ton of HFS files too fast too see then arrives at the below screen.

Wondering if anyone understands how to fix the potential args or what I have to do.

Great forum here guys! you've all been a bunch of help...definitely jealous that some of you are up and running so easily

PAE enabled

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

vn_page_bootstrap: 252500 free pages

mig_table_max_displ = 71

CPU identification: Intel® Pentium ® M processor

CPU features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS TM EST TM2

CPU extened features: XD

Enabling XMM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes

[RICLOCK] frequency 1990000000 (1994999720)

Skiping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleRTL8139Ethernet" with older/same version (1.2.0 -> 1.2.0).

ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0]

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicld=1 LocalApicld=0 Enabled

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x0019CFFC): commpage no match on last routine

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x144cbee0: 0x128aea (0x3b9dcc 0x144cbf04 0x120c94 0x0)

0x144cbf20: 0x19cffc (0x3bf434 0x144cbf7c 0x13000 0x0)

0x144cbfb0: 0x1a1427 (0x135eff 0x1 0x7 0x726f6c6f)

0x144cbfd4: 0x196b69 (0x0 0xffffffff 0x4431f8 0x49b800) Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 8.4.1: Tue Jan 3 18:23:53 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.7.90.obj-1/RELEASE_I386

Thanks for any ideas anyone might have