10.5.4 is released !

207 posts in this topic

Used software update with the following specs:

Q6600

GA-P35-DS3L

4GB Crucial Ballistix

8800GT

Was upgrading from iATKOS 10.5.2->10.5.3 Vanilla. Everything seems to be working fine, but I got my first kernel panic after the upgrade while trying to burn a dvd in toast 9. Anyone know why?

Updated to 10.5.4 via Software Update and dropped in modbin's 9.4.0 kernel before system start, everything came up nicely and everything still working 100%. So far my upgrade path has been as follows:

ToH Leo RC2 10.5.0 -> Manual 10.5.1 update via Pacifist -> Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update -> JaS 10.5.3 patched update -> 10.5.4 via Software Update. Im on a Pentium D so Ive used the latest patched kernels with each update. 10.5.4 is the least troublesome update to date on this system. Specs in sig.

strange, still have the shutdown issue :wacko:

however, if i go in sleepmode (which is working flawless!) before, wake up and then shutdown again it´s working!

man, i want to get this to work without that little trick!!!!

I was able to install the update using the downloaded package, but had to replace the newer kernel and system.kext with my previous 9.2.0 T0H one before the reboot. Everything is working perfectly, no issues as of yet.

The 10.5.4 delta update via Apple (88mb) worked for me on a vanilla kernel.

Specs in sig.

After the first reboot i had no keyboard (ps2) but at the second try it worked normally.

All working, so far...

but sleep still not working (have to unplug power chord to achieve a reboot).

Original walktrhough by chopperreid

updated by braveskunk:

what you need for easy update is:

osx tools:

http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/downloads/list

the modbin kernel(its the one which is hacked 9.4 for now, you can change toh to modbin)

http://www.infinitemac.com/940-modbin-kernel-for-amd-intel/

http://www.mediafire.com/?voiwzyo0yn3

if ur os is 10.5.2 and lower u'll need a combo update(everything in one install from 10.5.0. to 5.4)

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1054update.html

ok, lets start:

!!!BACKUP ALL YOUR EXTENSIONS BEFORE STARTING INSTALLATION PROCESS!!!

Open Terminal

sudo -s

*type password*

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Open 10.5.4 Update Installer

Run update BUT DO NOT PRESS RESTART

Go back to your terminal and press Control C to end the script

In terminal type:

nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

DONT RESTART

Replace the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext with dsmos.kext

IF ON THE BOTTOM OF THE TERMINALL SCREEN SAYS NEW FILE DONT SAVE IT, that means installer script didn't put anything to install during startup!

Now, if you're running hacked kernel, which toh is(ASAIK), DONT RESTART

open osx tools, click update kernel, choose a file name to backup ur original kernel, choose the new one click ok, type password and thats all. but:

DONT RESTART

replace system.kext from the kernel download with the one in your extensions folder.

bring back osx tools, check the following:

repair permissions

set kext permissions,

clear extensions cache

click run selected tasks

then if all went good, just recall if you have done everything(backup extensions, run the sleep script in terminal and finished it, installed the update, installed the kernel and system.kext, repaired permissions) and if yes. you're ready to restart.

keep in mind, that some specific hardware might not be working properly after restart(WIFI, Grahics etc.) thats why you did backup of all your extensions- to be able to restore functionallity of that hardware after restart.

cross fingers and restart

boot with -v to see whats happening

if any of you have problems with graphics and you use nvinject.kext then let chopperreid know because he has a solution to that.

Thanks for the responses everyone. As well as everyone now including the specs! Nice to see the community come together for this update.

I may even try the update again, however 10.5.3 is working great for my needs so I am hesitant -- hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it! :P

Was already on 10.5.3, updated with software update, only needed to restore the toh speedstep kernel 9.2.0, so yes that one works with 10.5.4.

This has been the easiest upgrade of all, as the first one from 10.5 to 10.5.1 also didn't break anything, but introduced a longer wait at boot (with the black screen). This was easily fixed with a new hacked kernel. The 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 was pretty easy as well, but involved that script thingy. Same for 10.5.2 to 10.5.3, this one was the first that actually broke something, my QE/QI was gone after this one, which was easily fixed as well by using a new nvinject (with an installer no less !) The upgrade from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 only required the kernel restore, nothing more.

Maybe I'll try that modbin kernel next.

Oh before anyone whinges about not providing system details, mine is a Dell Dimension 9150 and I have all hardware (except my floppy drive working)

So just to humour some people:

Intel D830 (smithfield), 2 GB ram, 2x250 GB Hd (ICH7), Intel Pro/1000 PL, Linksys Wirless adapter (broadcom BCM4306), Nvidea 7800 GTX, Sigmatel Audio, System is a triple boot with Vista SP1 and Server 2008 SP1.

just updated from Kalyway 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 and everything is working fine except external display. It's all messed up. Can't get it to work. When I boot without external display and hit "detect displays" it shuts off the main laptop display (goes to sleep) and I can only get it back with sleep/wake function (move mouse to activate sleep/wake into corner of screen).

will try gma950 kexts from 10.5.3 and if no success will entirely go back to 10.5.3 system

thanks

yess it worked straight from mac update (not software update)

from kalyway default install 10.5.2 - jas combo update 10.5.3 now i am at 10.5.4

so far so good. Only thing is my sleep no longer works nor shutdown no longer works have to do a manually shutdown. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix? ;)

I updated with software update from 10.5.3 (kalyway 10.5.1 updated with JaS 10.5.3 combo) to 10.5.4 and so far no problems. Pretty freaky to update like that without doing anything additional, it felt wrong in such a wonderfully fantastic way.

Guess I better update my signature.

Just reporting, everything worked fine updating from Kalyway 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 using Software Update, the 59mb delta package. No issues whatsoever so far, everything's working like a charm. My specs are on my signature.

Cheers!

Hey I just used OSXTools to install EFI v8 then used Software Update to update to 10.5.4. Everything works as long as I use the "update" boot flag, if I don't, I enter a restart loop. Any ideas on how to fix this?

This was the first time I've "successfully" used a vanilla kernel and my spec are in my signature.

Hey, this works on plain old Core Duos, too!

Just updated - haven't tested yet to see if it's fixed my sleep problems, but at least it hasn't broken anything. :blink:

EDIT: Nope, sleep still hangs after restoring the display. ;) That and the fact that it doesn't detect my battery are all that are keeping me from using OS X as my main OS.

I updated using standalone package off apple site from 10.5.3, and now my qe/ci are not supported/software

its an 8600 gt, and with nvkush, it shows my memory (256) and name, and with out it, it has 32 mb

any workaround for this

People! ALWAYS back-up your extensions folder before doing an update!!!

I went from 10.5.2 Leo4allv3, JaS 10.5.3 with Vanilla 9.3 kernel, then 10.5.4 with Software Update. I had to restore audio and video drivers, but otherwise no problems.

Although this probably doesn't help others much, updating via Software Update to 10.5.4 has worked fine for my intel-based mobo with E2180 processor running at 2.4 GHz, ATI Radeon 2600 XT graphics and 2 GB RAM. If it were always like this... Heaven. :) Sleep/wakeup is working on vanilla kernel 9.4 as well, btw.