[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

Firstly, thanks to SABR for the guide. It worked for me perform a native install with no errors. However, when I boot the OSX drive, I end up with the "waiting for root device" error. The final lines are:

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: ICH3

twice, followed by "waiting for root device". This drive boots fine in VMWare, obviously due to VMWare having virtual IDE controllers. Being a bit of a noob at OSX unfortunately makes searching the forum for the right thing very difficult. Am I correct in assuming this is a driver problem? IE, OSX is detecting the controller and is unable to locate a driver? I found some info on the ICH3 on this thread saying the info is present in the Info.plist of Darwin, but not osx86. Is there a way for me to have it load the correct driver, given that I can boot this drive in VMWare?

The machine in question is a Toshiba laptop, with a 2GHz P4M processor and all Intel hardware. The install was performed from a 10.4.7 JaS DVD, and the correct Intel and SSE2 patches where applied from the "customize" section.

Hi there.... first of all thinks SABR for this grate work....

I've followed this steps and succesfully insatled myzar 10.4.4 update 10.4.5

Runs on vmware and runs native (showing some errores in -v mode)

But... native is toooo slow.... i will dare to soy is as slow as running vmware...

i noticed to that native it says my procesor is at 3.7 mhz but thats not true, its at 1.8 (amd 3000+)

Could somebody tell me wy is macos running to slow native??

mi pc

Athlon 64 3000+ 939 Core Venice

A8N-E Motherboard Nforce 4 Ultra

2*512 dual channel

320 wd caviar sata2 (win xp)

sansung IDE 80gb (mac os)

dvd-rw LG

geforce 4mx 4000 PCI 64mb

tks

ok, can someone tell my why vmware like to play roulette with me?

about 1/30 times i boot the OS X Cd, it will start up the installation. the other times it freezes at various points. i have pictures of about 20 different points, but the two most common are

ACPI: System State [S0 S5] (s0)
ACPI: Button driver prevents system sleep

I hate those errors with a passion.

EDIT//

oh and i just got this one too

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string><dict>

Thanks for the Tutorial, it worked great for me :D

But after installation I get some errors if I try to boot natively:

load of /sbin/launchd, errno 88, trying /sbin/mach_init

load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 88

Extension "com.apple.iokit.IOUSB.MassStorageClass" has no kernel dependency.

IOATAController device blocking bus.

Apple NVIDIAnForceATA: NVIDIA NForce 4 (CMD 0x170, CTR 0x374, IRQ 15, BM 0xf008

Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver" has no Kernel dependency

After this, the Startup stops.

In VMWare, OS X starts up.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

My PC:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+

nVidia nForce 4 SLI (Asus A8N-SLI)

Geforce 7800 GT

1 GB RAM

S-ATA HDD 250 GB (I think this is the problem :/)

EDIT2:

Used Image: JaS 10.4.7

NFORCE.VIA.SATA (or how it is called) is included

But after installation I get some errors if I try to boot natively:

load of /sbin/launchd, errno 88, trying /sbin/mach_init

load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 88

Extension "com.apple.iokit.IOUSB.MassStorageClass" has no kernel dependency.

IOATAController device blocking bus.

EDIT2:

Used Image: JaS 10.4.7

NFORCE.VIA.SATA (or how it is called) is included

What packages did you select in Customize.

The included nForce patch is for nForce3, not nForce4. There is no working patch for nForce4 SATA. However, there is an effort to develop one, but it has problems. Do a search on the board for that new, but buggy, driver.

thanx got ride of the mbr problem........ but now the problem is its hanging at ......waiting for root device..........

i think it is same problem as Zoot ........ mine is nvidia 4 sata

but it works fine with vmware....

hey Rammjet can you point me to the write place ...... ihave searched the forums but could not find ... i would like to try it

thanx got ride of the mbr problem........ but now the problem is its hanging at ......waiting for root device..........

i think it is same problem as Zoot ........ mine is nvidia 4 sata

but it works fine with vmware....

hey Rammjet can you point me to the write place ...... ihave searched the forums but could not find ... i would like to try it

Well, nForce 4 SATA + OSx86 is known to corrupt drives the last I heard (I admit, it was a while back). I would recommend you use a PATA (IDE) HDD. But here are links discussing it:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=25879&st=0

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=31091

:blink:

it looks like its not even in a stage to test......... i will wait till it is completely developed........

and i have one more problem .............. when i tried to install any file of the form .pkg the installer just strucks...... all i have too do is force quit it.......

any idea????

Hy,

yesterday I made my first MacOS emulation on my pc. I've configured wmware like you said in your tutorial except with the physical disk. I made a virtual disk because I just want to emulate Mac. I don't want to change the partitions of my computer. After that I've installed x86 on my laptop. The install part worked just fine but after the restart part, it appears a black window with a white cursor and freezes there. I've read many tutorials that said you have to do a fat32 phisical partition. I've tried this too on a second hard drive but without any luck. Do you have any ideea about this?

Computer configuration:

P4 3.2 Hyperthreading

512 Mb of RAM

ATA HDD - 60 Gb

Ack, need some help here :P.

I initially managed to get os x installed fine via following this VMWare guide fine, however, I have very recently installed an IDE hard drive as a slave to my DVD drive. I am not trying to install OS X to this new hard drive, just the old hard drive which installation-wise has always worked fine.

Unfortunately, ever since the installation of that new hard drive, I can't get this install procedure to work.

I go to install and it says:

MBR Error 3

MBR Error 1

Press any key to boot from floppy...

Of course, pressing any key doesn't help.

How can I get rid of the error message and boot the DVD in VMWare?

BTW I'm using the "Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack" image.

Thanks

Hey, SABR, thanks for the guide, but I've had one big problem.

The installation works fine under VMWare, but when I try to boot it natively, It gets to the Apple logo, then the little 'circle with a slash' comes up. Then I tried again, and typed -v and it just kept saying "Still waiting for root device" Or something like that.

When I installed, I used the Decrypt Patch, and the SSE2 patch.

I'm using the 10.4.7 JaS AMD/Intel .iso

I have an Intel Celeron D 3.2 GHz

160GB HDD (4 partitions) (Windows C: Data D: Recovery "" and OS X Z:)

I hope that's enough info

I'm also using the Acronis OS Selector.

My HDD doesn't have the jumper cables that my DVD drive had.

wdfdesktopsejshs6.jpg

That's what the back looks like, there is no plastic thing on anything,

1313519402vy6.jpg

That's the motherboard I have (I know, it sucks) but I circled where I can plug in the HDD. I tried both plugs, and it switches it from IDE Channel 2 to IDE Channel 3.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all.

[intro] Okay, I've realised alot of people have had many troubles trying to boot the OSx86 DVD's, don't have DVD burners or blank DVD discs available. So, doing it through VMWare is an easy option to take. This quick guide/HowTo shows you the basic steps needed to create a Virtual Machine that can handle OS X, what needs to be selected, etc... You can then go ahead and install it to a physical HDD (partition or separate), and boot off it! :censored2:

SABR. :construction:

I want to thank you for this guide. It works great!

hey there, im trying to install it and i have followed directions to a tee but for some reason it gets to the gray apple screen then the VM machine restarts itself no matter what i do even the F8 -V

im using the Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack

P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe

2 sata hdds (NOT what im trying to instal to)

1 ide 40gb (trying to get it on here, unpartitioned)

core 2 duo e6400

ddr2 800 cosair 2gb

Hi everybody,

I am trying to boot OSX 10.4.8 SSE3 patched DVD via VMWARE but it's giving me error saying:

"*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) *** The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down"

Now I tried changing my virtual machine to Windows NT, FreeBSD, Others but the same message keep coming out.

Is there any way I can boot it via VMware without any errors.

I am using Dual Core Processor but in VMware I have specified only one processor.

Please help.

Regards

Hi everybody,

I am trying to boot OSX 10.4.8 SSE3 patched DVD via VMWARE but it's giving me error saying:

"*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) *** The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down"

Now I tried changing my virtual machine to Windows NT, FreeBSD, Others but the same message keep coming out.

I am using Dual Core Processor but in VMware I have specified only one processor.

Please help.

Regards

I also got this error on my new system. I have no idea how to fix it. I can't get VMWare to work off my new machine - so I have to run it natively. Sorry I can't help you any more. I did read some reports of using the older 5.0 version of VMWare worked for people recieving the same error message.

Hi everybody,

Please help.

Regards

I am having the same problem - here's my setup:

Asus P5B (stripped, not Deluxe or Express), Core2 6400, 2 SATA HDDs

I've tried VMWare to a physical partition, whole drive, virtual drive, setup as Windows NT, Other, FreeBSD, you name it, and I get the same kernel stack error every time.

I've also tried installing it to the partition directly (via a USB DVD-ROM drive, since the JMicron driver is not supported) and it gets a bit further, maybe 2 minutes in and I get "SAM Multimedia" READ or WRITE failed, ASC=0x11, ASCQ=0x00". I've tried Jas 10.4.6 and 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Only versions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.