[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

so, Spank me if i'm incorrect, but is it possible to install it Within Vmware, (witch i have done and it booted properly thanks to this guide :) ), And then Boot the REAL (the Real HD (Not within VMWare))

!!!!! :(

Yes. thats what it does. when you reboot, you should be able to boot into OS X natively if you followed the guide correctly. im not sure if chain0 is needed though

I'm installing on a second partition, which is unformatted. All that the disk utility shows in the left pane is a VMWare Virtual IDE CDROM Drive, that's 4.4GB, with the install disk listed under it. And it can't be changed to Journaled since all the options in the partition tab are disabled.

I'm installing on a second partition, which is unformatted. All that the disk utility shows in the left pane is a VMWare Virtual IDE CDROM Drive, that's 4.4GB, with the install disk listed under it. And it can't be changed to Journaled since all the options in the partition tab are disabled.

This is a physical partition, right? I think it has to be formatted in order for VMWare to recognise it...

i made it with the disk manager. i'll try to format it and see what happens. depends on what i format it to though.

update: i just tried ntfs and fat32, both individual persistent. ntfs doesn't do anything. and fat32 gives a kernel error.

Seems like it doesn't work for any of the formats. I also tried using the JaS 10.4.8, and it didn't work. The only way to do it is to use VMWare's HD.

Ok, try installing it onto VMWare's HD. Then, after it's installed. add your physical partition to the configuration file. Boot OSx86 and try restoring OSx86 through Disk Utility onto your physical partition.

Well, once you've installed it to VMWare Disk Image, there is a feature in an OS X program called "Disk Utility". It allows you to copy everything from the current OS X install to another partition (which will be your physical partition). After it has restored everything onto your physical HDD, then you will be able to boot that partition as if you installed it straight onto it. I hope you understand now. If not, just say and I'll explain it in a different way.

Once you've installed it to your VMWare HDD, let me know and I'll run you through the next part. :rolleyes:

- Sabr.

Gotta fix that freezing problem now. Thanks for the explanation above though, I get it now. Back to the search form (60th time today).

Still looking... If anyone can help me here, problem is that the installation completed, and when it restarted, the VMWare boot screen disappeared and a black screen with a single cursor appeared. I can't access the boot menu. It just skips to the cursor screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same problem you do Nuclear. When trying to boot up the VMWare machine (and go into the boot menu by pressing ESC) I just get a single _ that doesn't flash or do anything. I've tried doing an install on the drive without using VMWare also, when I do that I get everything installed just fine but I can't ever boot into OS X. Usually I have the problem of "chain booting error" (had this problem when trying to boot natively from VMWare install), so I thought the emulation would solve that.. now I just get a _ in VMWare, at least I get text when doing a native boot!

Can someone help with the chain booting error? This might not be the place, but I'm running Vista and I can't exactly edit the boot.ini file like in XP. I have EasyBSD installed and I have it all set up for a Mac OS X dual boot (so I think..) because I get the choice of OS' when booting up. At least Vista still boots, haha. It's just OS X gives me the error. What gives? Any help is much appreciated.

well then romer, i guess we're gonna have to keep bumping each other till someone answers. i can't native cause of still waiting for root device, but this is something else. i should try the JaS DVD again. it worked in VMWare before.

i don't think that would make a difference. i'll start installing the JaS now and see what happens.

update: dams it takes so long to install...

update2: almost done

update3: is there even a point to optimizing system performance?

I'm wondering if mine even installed natively or from VMWare. When I tried booting off of the HDD I got an error that said something like Boot up error.. which basically tells me that no OS was installed. I don't see how that's possible.. but I'm trying a different PATA drive just in case.