[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

great instructions, thanks!

my vmware install is working great, no problems rebooting or anything.

when i try to go native though, i get problems.

before i figure out a bootloader, i figured i would just change the hd boot order in my bios to the osx drive to make sure it was working natively.

when i do that, all i get is a /com.apple.Boot.plist not found error.

i am using a p965 based mobo, maybe that is the problem?

when i change the hd boot order back to xp, then i can go back to vmware and it boots osx no problem.

i'm confused. any suggestions?

great instructions, thanks!

my vmware install is working great, no problems rebooting or anything.

when i try to go native though, i get problems.

before i figure out a bootloader, i figured i would just change the hd boot order in my bios to the osx drive to make sure it was working natively.

when i do that, all i get is a /com.apple.Boot.plist not found error.

i am using a p965 based mobo, maybe that is the problem?

when i change the hd boot order back to xp, then i can go back to vmware and it boots osx no problem.

i'm confused. any suggestions?

Plug your HDD into the RAID ports, and set it in your BIOS to use AHCI. Go here for more info: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=26858&st=0

Plug your HDD into the RAID ports, and set it in your BIOS to use AHCI. Go here for more info: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=26858&st=0

I can't find any AHCI options in my bios under "included peripherals". when i change the hdd to the raid ports, it is now booting to the gray apple logo screen, then giving me a "no" icon (circle with slash through it).

sound like progress, but what next?

i'll continue to research, but if anyone has any advice, please help.

thanks!

I can't find any AHCI options in my bios under "included peripherals". when i change the hdd to the raid ports, it is now booting to the gray apple logo screen, then giving me a "no" icon (circle with slash through it).

sound like progress, but what next?

i'll continue to research, but if anyone has any advice, please help.

thanks!

What motherboard do you have?

Also, boot with "-v" at the Darwin Boot Prompt, and see what errors come up. :)

What motherboard do you have?

Also, boot with "-v" at the Darwin Boot Prompt, and see what errors come up. ;)

i have a MSI P965 neo-f mobo.

when i reboot in verbose mode it tells me "still waiting for root device"

thanks for your help. any more suggestions?

i have a MSI P965 neo-f mobo.

when i reboot in verbose mode it tells me "still waiting for root device"

thanks for your help. any more suggestions?

Ok. In the BIOS, look for an option similar to "SATA Port 0 - 3 Native", and disable it. Then retry.

Ok. In the BIOS, look for an option similar to "SATA Port 0 - 3 Native", and disable it. Then retry.

i can't find anything like that in my bios. the only thing that might be close to that is an option that says "on-chip secondary pci ide", i've tried disabling it but there are no changes.

basically there is not a sata option in sight. both of my sata hard drives (one for osx, one for xp) are showing up as the "ide third master" and "ide fourth master" respectively.

my bios is the Phoenix - AwardBIOS Version W7235IMS v 1.5

i can't find anything like that in my bios. the only thing that might be close to that is an option that says "on-chip secondary pci ide", i've tried disabling it but there are no changes.

basically there is not a sata option in sight. both of my sata hard drives (one for osx, one for xp) are showing up as the "ide third master" and "ide fourth master" respectively.

my bios is the Phoenix - AwardBIOS Version W7235IMS v 1.5

Ok, Integrated Peripherals - On-Chip ATA Devices - Primary/Secondary Master/Slave PIO: What are the options you have for it?

EDIT:

Hold on a minute, are you using a PATA IDE HDD? If so, it aint gonna work. You're going to need to convert it to a SATA drive.

Ok, Integrated Peripherals - On-Chip ATA Devices - Primary/Secondary Master/Slave PIO: What are the options you have for it?

EDIT:

Hold on a minute, are you using a PATA IDE HDD? If so, it aint gonna work. You're going to need to convert it to a SATA drive.

no, it's a seagate sata hard drive.

for all of those options, i have the options of auto/mode 0/mode 1/mode 2/mode 3/mode 4

i can enable/disable PCI IDE BusMaster, On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE, and IDE/RAID control. I have tried disabling them all, to no avail.

Thanks for all your help!

for all of those options, i have the options of auto/mode 0/mode 1/mode 2/mode 3/mode 4

Which SATA port is your HDD plugged into? They use different controllers...

Also, are you trying to boot the DVD, or the OSx86 installation you did through VMWare?

Which SATA port is your HDD plugged into? They use different controllers...

Also, are you trying to boot the DVD, or the OSx86 installation you did through VMWare?

i've tried every sata port on the computer. it's the installation through vmware on it's own dedicated hdd that i am trying to boot natively.

This can also happen when you didn't choose the correct packages in the Customize window during the installation.

i loaded off the jas 10.4.6 dvd. i selected the jas patch and the sse3 intel patch. anything i missed? the installation works great in vmware,

Ok, make sure the HDD is plugged into SATA 1. Un-plug the CD/DVD drive.

Now enable the IDE Raid control... See if that works.

when i do that i get a System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found error. i thought i had eradicated that!

when i do that i get a System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found error. i thought i had eradicated that!

lol... I'm just trying different sorts of combinations to see if any will work. I don't know exactly which options in your BIOS act the same as ours (GA-965P-[D]S3). But I'm pretty sure your HDD has to be in SATA 1, which uses the J Micron JMB363 controller (which is what we are using).

I have sucessfully installed 10.4.7 native, but when I try to boot the OS it stops after "Lgoin Window Application Started". A few lines above it says "display: family specific matching fails".

I guess it can't load my graphic correctly. I have a integrated VIA/S3 graphics card on a ASUS A8V-VM motherboard with a AMD X2 3800+ CPU.

I have sucessfully installed 10.4.7 native, but when I try to boot the OS it stops after "Lgoin Window Application Started". A few lines above it says "display: family specific matching fails".

I guess it can't load my graphic correctly. I have a integrated VIA/S3 graphics card on a ASUS A8V-VM motherboard with a AMD X2 3800+ CPU.

Did you install the AMD Enabler patches through the installation Customize menu?

The Display matching fails thing isn't stopping you, since I also get that error, but it runs ok for me...

Yes, I chose to install both AMD patches. I have the JaS 1.4.7 ISO. I did also chose the ATI X1600 patch since I will get that card in the end of this week. Maybe I shouldn't have choosen that patch?

EDIT: I chose the following under the customize menu:

Essential System software

AMD.10.4.7.Combo.Update

AMD.Kernel

Wireless.Networking.Support

VIA.SATA.ATA

ATI.ATA.Support

and X1600 support

BTW, will SATA work on nForce 430 chipset? I read that it will not work on nForce 4.

I can't find my SATA drive in the disk utility with my VIA motherboard.

EDIT 2: I reinstalled without the X1600 support, and now it boots. The OS is slow though...

Edited by iMäcen

this method cannot work in deadmoo's image (10.4.1)?

i think not cause its allready installed and you can run it only through vmware

i tried to create a new virtual machine with a PHYSICAL drive cause i wanted to install it there and reboot in native mode but it cant find any system through the mounted disk

i mean about the tiger-x86-flat.img

BTW, will SATA work on nForce 430 chipset? I read that it will not work on nForce 4.

EDIT 2: I reinstalled without the X1600 support, and now it boots. The OS is slow though...

Hmm, I'm not sure if it will work at full write/read speed. That may be why it takes a while to boot up (same for me...).

this method cannot work in deadmoo's image (10.4.1)?

i think not cause its allready installed and you can run it only through vmware

i tried to create a new virtual machine with a PHYSICAL drive cause i wanted to install it there and reboot in native mode but it cant find any system through the mounted disk

i mean about the tiger-x86-flat.img

When I had the VMWare 10.4.1 image, I just restored the disk for a physical disc through VMWare. However, you have to have Darwin installed onto the drive first... :)

so how should i do it?

when i put a physical disk in vmware and i start the system with the flat.img mounted in daemon,choose to boot from the CD it says no system found etc etc

must i install darwin in that physical disk and boot from this disk and not DVD?

and then?

can you describe the steps?

is it faster than the vmware?

EDIT:i found some darwin installations but too big in size.maybe its not the correct darwin.Which should i use? (the 1 i found is 600mb..i dont download it!)

*im still w8ing for the 10.4.7 to finish d/l..(1 week) :blink:

so how should i do it?

when i put a physical disk in vmware and i start the system with the flat.img mounted in daemon,choose to boot from the CD it says no system found etc etc

must i install darwin in that physical disk and boot from this disk and not DVD?

and then?

can you describe the steps?

is it faster than the vmware?

EDIT:i found some darwin installations but too big in size.maybe its not the correct darwin.Which should i use? (the 1 i found is 600mb..i dont download it!)

*im still w8ing for the 10.4.7 to finish d/l..(1 week) :blink:

Wasn't 10.4.1 released as a VMWare image, not a bootable DVD?

i've tried to install it native and with vmware but no once work -.-

OSX requires a processor capable of SSE2 or SSE3 instructions. It looks like your processor is only capable of SSE. In Windows, download and run CPU-Z to confirm this.