[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

Hey guys, it's been a couple of days, and no one has offered a solution to my problem. Does this mean that no one read it or does it mean that no one has any idea what I've done wrong?

Make sure your virtual machine is booting off the virtual hard disk, not the CD.

When you start virtual machine push F2 to get into its bios settings.

it´s a via rhine. I downld a version (http://www.pinxue.net/mac/viarhine.html) but i dont know hou to do that...

Put the ViaRhine.kext on your Desktop (remove it from any folders, etc). Then go to Terminal and type:

cd /System/Library
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache
 (give your password)

cd Extensions
sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/ViaRhine.kext .	<-- don't forget the space followed by the dot

sudo chown -R root:wheel ViaRhine.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 ViaRhine.kext

Then reboot.

I followed this guide and installed...the first time I forgot to make it persistent.

The second time it worked and I can boot in VMware, but when I use F12 to get into the boot menu on my PC from the BIOS and select primary slave, it just sits at "Selection 3" (the BIOS selection for primary slave). Any advice?

Thanks.

Put the ViaRhine.kext on your Desktop (remove it from any folders, etc). Then go to Terminal and type:
cd /System/Library
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache
 (give your password)

cd Extensions
sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/ViaRhine.kext .	<-- don't forget the space followed by the dot

sudo chown -R root:wheel ViaRhine.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 ViaRhine.kext

Then reboot.

Rammjet, thx in advance, BUT,

there´s no Extensions dir inside library, and when i enter the command, nothing happens...

otherwise, the problem with rhine is over... the problem now is with Nvidia driver, cuz i downloaded proper file from nvidia but dont know how to install... the file came with lots of dirs and makefile files...

sorry for my stupidness in unix...

there´s no Extensions dir inside library, and when i enter the command, nothing happens...

uhhh...it doesn't say "Library"...it says "/System/Library" and there better be an Extensions folder in there or you are in deep trouble.

What Nvidia driver did you download? Sounds like you got some source code.

Were you trying for Macvidia or Titan or Natit?

First off all i want to thank SABR!

This was the best method i ever used!

Also i want to thank everybody who has posted on this forum.

My OSX works fine only the keyboard is not working (have to do a google search :D )

This was my method that works:

ISO image= MacOSX10.4.6.install.dvd.JAS.iso

1. I installed Acronis OS Selector. (Is a option you can install after you installed Acronis Disk Director)

2. I had a 149 GIG ATA disk and created a NTFS in partition magic.

3. I formatted the disk in windows XP (not in partition magic)

4. I used the SABR installation guide Only i used WINDOWS NT as virtual system, don't know why. and i used alcohol120% for the iso.

5. I turned the virtual system of when he was done withe the installation.

6. Robooted my system and choose the "unknown operating system" in Acronis OS selector.

7. OSX finished the installation and i was up and running (only the keybord is not function proparly)

I realy want to thank all of you and sorry about my very bad english!

Greatings from holland!!

I'm only able to install Marklar-Tiger.10.4.1.iso using Vmware 5.5.3 in my Toshiba Laptop L35 Celeron M420, but failed to restart natively.

Error message: waiting for root device. Never succeed when using 10.4.5 myz, 10.4.6, 10.4.7 and 10.4.8. Is there any solution for my problem?

Anyone found a fix to the endless vmware server 1.0.1 reboot loop? Booting with '-v' the disc is read and then says "Starting Darwin/x86" and just reboots. Every fix mentioned in this forum has been tried thus far.

The install is to a physical partition (tried logical and primary). Hardware is c2d e6300, Biostar P965PT, WD Raptor. Daemontools was used to mount the image.

Anyone found a fix to the endless vmware server 1.0.1 reboot loop? Booting with '-v' the disc is read and then says "Starting Darwin/x86" and just reboots. Every fix mentioned in this forum has been tried thus far.

The install is to a physical partition (tried logical and primary). Hardware is c2d e6300, Biostar P965PT, WD Raptor. Daemontools was used to mount the image.

Hmmm - have you tried VMWare Workstation?

Also, try adding

platform=X86PC

at the Darwin boot prompt. So it would look like this: -v platform=X86PC

Hope that helps.

SABR.

Hi, SABR.

[JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.iso(4.37GB) or/and JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p ppf(675MB)]

After "Preparing Installation" window,

I saw the following error message.(2.4c_ht_sse2, 1024ram, fx5600, samsung 200gb)

When I installed the 10.4.6_jas.iso and the 10.4.7_jas_repack.iso on vmware5.5.3(physical hard method), no problem.

( http://forum.insanelymac.com/uploads/month...-1167962663.jpg )

( http://forum.insanelymac.com/uploads/month...-1167976230.png )

Can this problem be solved ?

Edited by chival4ry

[JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.iso(4.37GB) or/and JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p ppf(675MB)]After "Preparing Installation" window,

I saw the following error message.(2.4c_ht_sse2, 1024ram, fx5600, samsung 200gb)

When I installed the 10.4.6_jas.iso and the 10.4.7_jas_repack.iso on vmware5.5.3(physical hard method), no problem.

Hi Chivalry,

Did you manage to find a solution to this as I have the exact same problem. Mine also works fine with previous release.

Thanks

If i start with vmware it has no problem, boots perfectly,

If i restart my computer and start it "native" it hangs, it shows the kernel name (and date) and hangs :/. this happesn to if i insert the drive that way, what could i have done wrong? wrong filesystem? i have chosen journaled :/

Hi, SABR.

[JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.iso(4.37GB) or/and JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p ppf(675MB)]

After "Preparing Installation" window,

I have this problem too :unsure:

I've successfully installed in vmware twice now. What do i do after? I reboot IN vmware, and either I have the install dvd mounted and it boots there, or if i force eject it it says no operating system found? (even though OsX just finished installing...)

I've also tried setting the 10gb osX partition active and rebooted my laptop, surely it starts into the darwain/apple loading screen, but after a period of no activity a little "Can't do it" Circle pops up above the apple symbol...(i presume it's the infamous "still waiting for root device error). Anyways when i reboot like this i am not given an option to set -v in darwain bootloader as it automatically goes to the apple boot screen everytime.

So my question is... Is the installation TRUELY finished after it says "Restart in 30 seconds" in vmware osX install disk; and if i need to finish it how can i do so in vmware? (cuz apparently straight reboot of the computer has ide/ata recognition problems with darwain)

any response would be greatly appreciated! i've been working and reading on this for about 6 days (tried a bunch of methods, the dd command to copy an image by bytes to a partition worked, but unforunately the image only has 2.2 gb free space)

P.s. my specs are amd turion64 MT-37, 2gb ram, mobility x1600, and an 80 gb harddrive w/ one windows partition and one HFS partition...

EDIT: GOT IT TO WORK! Installed JAS reloaded 10.4.8 with amd/intel patch image, chose the intel menu fix actually, right now i did not check the x1600 driver option but i might do it again with the drivers cuz i can't find x1600 kext's or .bundle or pkg files from the internet. However when i try pressing the "about this mac" in the menu, it does a reset of the desktop, not sure why...? (maybe inappropriate drivers causing a hardware address fault when scanning hardware)

Edited by libtech

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, did you get this problem fixed? I'm running a Jas dvd of 10.4.8, I tried to install it natively having followed all the instructions (make another primary fat32 partition in same drive as xp). tried -v platform=x86pc, however everytime it boots it gets to the point of loading darwin, and just as it loads the gui the whole thing reboots. I'm trying to install this in native mode. I really need some help!!!

I'm attempting to do this tutorial from Ubuntu 6.10. VMWare is working properly and I have everything set up properly I think; however, VMWare won't recognize the directory that I have mounted the *.iso as a CDRom. I mounted the device with HFS+ and iso9660 file system types but neither one will work. I also tried mounting to two different mount points /mnt/iso and /media/iso.

Any suggestions? Actual error displayed is below.

CD-ROM: '/media/iso' exists, but does not appear to be a CD-ROM device.

Virtual device ide1:0 will start disconnected.

EDIT2: If I just mount the image within VMWare I get the infinite loop error that is mentioned in the post previous to mine if that gives any other further clues.

EDIT: Here's my computer info

Dell Inspiron 2650

Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10

512 MB RAM

nVidia Geforce2 Go

Edited by jerbearhtl42

Hey guys. It's nice to see this guide still going. :tomato:

However, just so you all know, I'm not going to be supporting this guide from now on. This is mainly down to the new way of installing OSx86: just boot the DVD straight from your PC. I acknowledge that way does not always work for everyone (and so they follow other guides such as this), but I think this guide is pretty outdated now.

Feel free to post and ask questions still, but don't be angry if I never get back to you. Thanks to everyone who used it, and to all who contributed.

SABR.

Here is my problem I have followed the guide to a T. I can install in VMware to a partition and when the install is done it will reboot inside VMware to OSX . I went in disk utility while running OSX and it says I need to repair the volume but it won't let me click on the repair button. When I shut down VMware and try to boot native I get NFS+ error. I have MacDrive installed and can access the Mac files. How can I repair my install or get it to work. I am using 10.4.6myz with the sb400 kext done. I have a compaq v5000-turion ml-34-x200 video. I am desperate to get my compaqintosh going. Thanks.

Damn I may be SOL. Please SABR don't quit yet. I missed your post by 2 hours.

Edited by jclarke72

Hi Guys

Thanks for the guide

when i try to reboot with VMWare after installing i get the error "operating system not found"

when i try to run it natively, i get the "hfs+ partition error"

Edited by sidprak

Hey all,

sorry if this has been posted already, but the search feature doesn't seem to come up with anything.

I "successfully" installed Mac OS X on a secondary slave drive from JaS' 10.6 DVD iso, but I can't boot it. When I restart and try to, it gives me a "b0 error". The same thing happens in VMWare. Interestingly, I can't get back to install. It gives me a random list of files and then restarts.

Thanks

mynameisfrog:

have you set the partition it is installed on to active? also i'm not entirely sure whether this works with a secondary drive.

i doubt it. unless i am totally off the mark, b0 was a reference to the bootsector stuff - the osx86 page should have some

info on that topic.

sidprak:

basically same story as above. partition set to active? has the drive been formatted properly before? i got this error when

i originally tried to install my other system straight from the cd (no vmware) and when i had used the 10.4.8 drive util.

with the 10.4.6 it seems to have worked :)

basically i am now typing this on a machine that used to refuse *any* attempts at installing osx before - i tried it with &

without vmware, with 10.4.6 and 10.4.8 and now it... works. the system specs are as follows:

cpu: intel pentium m 760

mob: asus p4gd1, using an asus ct-479 adapter (pentium m to pentium 4 socket adapter) to run the cpu on

ram: 2x 512 mb kingston khx3200 (bh5), 2x 256 mb mushkin pc3500 level 2 (bh5)

gfx: asus en6600 top silent

dvd: toshiba sd-m1612 (ide 0-1)

hdd: 1x western digital wd600ab, 60gb (ide 0-0)

hdd: 3x samsung sv1604, 160gb (ide 1-0, 1-1, 2-0), attached to onboard ide/raid controller, need drivers yet

hdd: 1x western digital wd120jb, 120gb (ide 2-1), attached to onboard ide/raid controller, need drivers yet

hdd: 2x samsung sp2504c, 250gb (sata 0+1)

what i did was follow one of the original installguides to set up the drive, like here.

notice the diskpart paragraph (the 2nd one named #3 ;) ), where it says "create partition primary id=af"

that, to me was one of the major things that either make or break it.

so i started by partitioning my drive, partitions 0 and 1 are where my windows install and a data partition is

located (mostly for vm and temporary downloads). partition 2 is where osx finally came to rest and partition

3 is a former osx install that didn't work :P. both osx-partitions are 10gig each. a size i found pretty big enough

for i haven't managed to get to the halfway mark on them yet (capacity/usage wise).

so with the drive(s) set up (this is on the western digital, ide 0-0, which is primary master btw, 0-1 = pri slave)

i recorded the image onto a dvd (you may as well use the daemon / image mounting method. works the same)

other then that i sort of followed the tut on the first page of this thread.

set up a new virtual machine, give it a harddisk drive (partition apparently, the one you previously prepared)

set it to persistent independent and off you go. installation may take a while - at that time my little pentium m

was flying at 100% load for 40 minutes - and when it's done installing, boot into via the virtual machine. if that

works, fool a bit around with it and see how it feels, whether everything works.

i only had a random graphics driver installed, so i was stuck at 1024x768 and no real hw-acceleration - never

mind, you can fix that later.

so knowing the install works, i quit vmware and run diskpart (windows + r, then type "diskpart" without the ""

apparently). list your drives (disks) "list disk" if more than one are in your machine, then select the proper one

"select disk". then list the partitions "list partition", select the right one "select partition x" and if you feel like it,

you can list volumes as well (doesn't matter though). on listing partitions and disks, the one with the "*" in front

of it should be the selected one. so you may want to check after selecting, if you got the right one.

once the proper partition has been selected (see above), you can now set it to be active "active" and then you're

basically done. you can now reboot your system - remove the dvd from your drive (if you've used the regular

drive over the image variant) and should be rewarded with a darwin bootloader showing up. if you want to chose

what os you are going to boot, press a key when it says "press key for boot options" and select the partition you

want to boot. that's it.

once i got into osx, i wanted to get my geforce working, so i've searched around this forum and found a link to

a nvidia driver package (search for or google it: nvidiaNV40.pkg), unpacked it, installed it - and now i'm enjoying

my 6600 card.

that way i got to install my system as it is now, which i haven't been able to using the both the dvds of 10.4.6 and

10.4.8 - so at times the vmware to native is the way to go.

now off to get my other 4 drives (or more like the 2nd onboard raid/ide controller) to work and the ntfs-drivers,

as this basically was a windows server that now runs osx, too :P

mynameisfrog:

have you set the partition it is installed on to active? also i'm not entirely sure whether this works with a secondary drive.

i doubt it. unless i am totally off the mark, b0 was a reference to the bootsector stuff - the osx86 page should have some

info on that topic.

sidprak:

basically same story as above. partition set to active? has the drive been formatted properly before? i got this error when

i originally tried to install my other system straight from the cd (no vmware) and when i had used the 10.4.8 drive util.

with the 10.4.6 it seems to have worked :unsure:

basically i am now typing this on a machine that used to refuse *any* attempts at installing osx before - i tried it with &

without vmware, with 10.4.6 and 10.4.8 and now it... works. the system specs are as follows:

cpu: intel pentium m 760

mob: asus p4gd1, using an asus ct-479 adapter (pentium m to pentium 4 socket adapter) to run the cpu on

ram: 2x 512 mb kingston khx3200 (bh5), 2x 256 mb mushkin pc3500 level 2 (bh5)

gfx: asus en6600 top silent

dvd: toshiba sd-m1612 (ide 0-1)

hdd: 1x western digital wd600ab, 60gb (ide 0-0)

hdd: 3x samsung sv1604, 160gb (ide 1-0, 1-1, 2-0), attached to onboard ide/raid controller, need drivers yet

hdd: 1x western digital wd120jb, 120gb (ide 2-1), attached to onboard ide/raid controller, need drivers yet

hdd: 2x samsung sp2504c, 250gb (sata 0+1)

what i did was follow one of the original installguides to set up the drive, like here.

notice the diskpart paragraph (the 2nd one named #3 :rolleyes: ), where it says "create partition primary id=af"

that, to me was one of the major things that either make or break it.

so i started by partitioning my drive, partitions 0 and 1 are where my windows install and a data partition is

located (mostly for vm and temporary downloads). partition 2 is where osx finally came to rest and partition

3 is a former osx install that didn't work :P . both osx-partitions are 10gig each. a size i found pretty big enough

for i haven't managed to get to the halfway mark on them yet (capacity/usage wise).

so with the drive(s) set up (this is on the western digital, ide 0-0, which is primary master btw, 0-1 = pri slave)

i recorded the image onto a dvd (you may as well use the daemon / image mounting method. works the same)

other then that i sort of followed the tut on the first page of this thread.

set up a new virtual machine, give it a harddisk drive (partition apparently, the one you previously prepared)

set it to persistent independent and off you go. installation may take a while - at that time my little pentium m

was flying at 100% load for 40 minutes - and when it's done installing, boot into via the virtual machine. if that

works, fool a bit around with it and see how it feels, whether everything works.

i only had a random graphics driver installed, so i was stuck at 1024x768 and no real hw-acceleration - never

mind, you can fix that later.

so knowing the install works, i quit vmware and run diskpart (windows + r, then type "diskpart" without the ""

apparently). list your drives (disks) "list disk" if more than one are in your machine, then select the proper one

"select disk". then list the partitions "list partition", select the right one "select partition x" and if you feel like it,

you can list volumes as well (doesn't matter though). on listing partitions and disks, the one with the "*" in front

of it should be the selected one. so you may want to check after selecting, if you got the right one.

once the proper partition has been selected (see above), you can now set it to be active "active" and then you're

basically done. you can now reboot your system - remove the dvd from your drive (if you've used the regular

drive over the image variant) and should be rewarded with a darwin bootloader showing up. if you want to chose

what os you are going to boot, press a key when it says "press key for boot options" and select the partition you

want to boot. that's it.

once i got into osx, i wanted to get my geforce working, so i've searched around this forum and found a link to

a nvidia driver package (search for or google it: nvidiaNV40.pkg), unpacked it, installed it - and now i'm enjoying

my 6600 card.

that way i got to install my system as it is now, which i haven't been able to using the both the dvds of 10.4.6 and

10.4.8 - so at times the vmware to native is the way to go.

now off to get my other 4 drives (or more like the 2nd onboard raid/ide controller) to work and the ntfs-drivers,

as this basically was a windows server that now runs osx, too :P

thanks for the help! i couldn't see the partition which i prepared (using diskpart) in windows explorer or vmware. so i couldn't give the virtual machine its own partition

thanks for the help! i couldn't see the partition which i prepared (using diskpart) in windows explorer or vmware. so i couldn't give the virtual machine its own partition