[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

thanks for the help! i couldn't see the partition which i prepared (using diskpart) in windows explorer or vmware. so i couldn't give the virtual machine its own partition

so can you install it now without a glitch?

in vmware edit settings for the virtual machine you want to set up, remove the harddrive the

default setup for a virtual machine creates, and add another one. chose "use a physical disk"

(for advanced users blabla) select the physical drive (see above, disks, partitions, ...). in my

case it was drive 0 (primary master), then select "use individual partition" unless you only

have one partition on that drive anyway, select the partition you created. it should be listed as

a type "unknown" or something - regular ntfs partitions are listed as hpfs/ntfs (iirc) - but the

size that shows may also help you there (if you know all your partition sizes, like both my osx

partitions were 10.4gb, the windoze ones were 19.6gb, ...). and set it to independent / per-

sistent. that should be it.

i just noticed that my post up there is formatted like {censored}. comes from using 1280 on my

"mac" and 1024 on my other pc (where i am on now)...

so can you install it now without a glitch?

in vmware edit settings for the virtual machine you want to set up, remove the harddrive the

default setup for a virtual machine creates, and add another one. chose "use a physical disk"

(for advanced users blabla) select the physical drive (see above, disks, partitions, ...). in my

case it was drive 0 (primary master), then select "use individual partition" unless you only

have one partition on that drive anyway, select the partition you created. it should be listed as

a type "unknown" or something - regular ntfs partitions are listed as hpfs/ntfs (iirc) - but the

size that shows may also help you there (if you know all your partition sizes, like both my osx

partitions were 10.4gb, the windoze ones were 19.6gb, ...). and set it to independent / per-

sistent. that should be it.

i just noticed that my post up there is formatted like {censored}. comes from using 1280 on my

"mac" and 1024 on my other pc (where i am on now)...

thanks 68030, but i still cant get it to work

when i try to run it natively, i get this: "error loading operating system"

jclarke72:

what iso-image do you use to install? i think some have a borked login-window. one of

the images i have seen has a 10.4.something login window fix implemented. i think it is

a 10.4.6. with the newer ones i'm not sure - can check again later

sidprak:

believe it or not, i managed to get myself the "error loading operating system" just

yesterday. still working on a fix or workaround. though to be honest, this time i did

install it while booting the pc straight from a dvd (10.4.8 intel & amd, sse2 & sse3).

soooo i couldn't boot into anything (neither my regular windows nor any osx install)

unless i had the osx disk or a windows bootdisk in the drive. interesting, as the osx

partition was prepared as type "af", set to active and all that.

on a separate hdd the install worked, loading just fine.

so far i tried rewriting the mbr (via windows install disk "fixmbr" and "fixboot c:"),

but that didn't do much, probably also didn't help the windows install (that wasn't

recognized by darwins bootloader as well) - only resetting the windows partition

to be the active one made me go back into windows again.

i'm not entirely sure, but i think i prepared (erased) the disks prior to installation

with the disk-utility on the 10.4.8 disks (either sse3 only or the aforementioned

intel & amd one).

so what i'll do now is this:

- use acronis to remove one osx partition (diskpart doesn't want to do that!), then

- use diskpart to create a new osx partition ("create partition primary id=af")

- use acronis again to set the osx partition to active

- use the 10.4.6 image to set up the disks for osx (erase them, journaled, ...)

and finally (try to)

- install either "10.4.8 sse3 only" or "10.4.8 intel&amd, sse2 & sse3"

and see what's happening. will keep you posted if any of this took care of the

"error loading operating system" {censored}

i have same screen what someone has ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/uploads/month...-1167962663.jpg )

I have a p4 3.2 northwood sse2, and try the new jas 10.4.8 intel&amd, sse2 & sse3

jclarke72:

what iso-image do you use to install? i think some have a borked login-window. one of

the images i have seen has a 10.4.something login window fix implemented. i think it is

a 10.4.6. with the newer ones i'm not sure - can check again later

sidprak:

believe it or not, i managed to get myself the "error loading operating system" just

yesterday. still working on a fix or workaround. though to be honest, this time i did

install it while booting the pc straight from a dvd (10.4.8 intel & amd, sse2 & sse3).

soooo i couldn't boot into anything (neither my regular windows nor any osx install)

unless i had the osx disk or a windows bootdisk in the drive. interesting, as the osx

partition was prepared as type "af", set to active and all that.

on a separate hdd the install worked, loading just fine.

so far i tried rewriting the mbr (via windows install disk "fixmbr" and "fixboot c:"),

but that didn't do much, probably also didn't help the windows install (that wasn't

recognized by darwins bootloader as well) - only resetting the windows partition

to be the active one made me go back into windows again.

i'm not entirely sure, but i think i prepared (erased) the disks prior to installation

with the disk-utility on the 10.4.8 disks (either sse3 only or the aforementioned

intel & amd one).

so what i'll do now is this:

- use acronis to remove one osx partition (diskpart doesn't want to do that!), then

- use diskpart to create a new osx partition ("create partition primary id=af")

- use acronis again to set the osx partition to active

- use the 10.4.6 image to set up the disks for osx (erase them, journaled, ...)

and finally (try to)

- install either "10.4.8 sse3 only" or "10.4.8 intel&amd, sse2 & sse3"

and see what's happening. will keep you posted if any of this took care of the

"error loading operating system" {censored}

I am using tubgirl 10.4.8 amd final, I can install native and it's working. I forgot to set the partition to active before install. Boots native right know it's the only OS on that lappy. Now if I could only get my Broadcom 4318 wireless working! It shows up as airport but can't connect to any networks. In the boot screen it shows an error saying can't load appleairport2.kext. BTW OSX runs great on my $400 wal-mart Compaqintosh.

Whoops no it wouldn't boot because on the install under customize it was loading the ATI x1100 drivers and I have the x200.

OK! got wireless working! thanks ao much for everyones help.

Edited by jclarke72

I have so far found this guide better than anything else I have read, and for that sir, I thank you.

I am however having a few problems, I am using one hardrive with two partitions:

C - 34000

D - 20000

D is the one I wish to install OS X on.

Normaly it is FAT32, but I use the OS in VMWare to "erase" it and change the filesystem for mac.

Everything goes well, the OS installs and I can log in.

But - Once I turn the computer off I cannot get into OS X, even with VMWare, when I try to power on the virtual computer I get "Cannot open the disk 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Virtual Machines\OS X\Other.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Reason: The partition table on the physical disk has changed since the disk was created. Remove the physical disk from the virtual machine, then add it again."

This leads me to think my partition is messed up, or something, I also tried putting the chain0 file in c:\\ and etiting the boot config, and when I selected it at startup, I got "Chain boot error".

Anyone able to shed some light on this situation? I have tried this with 2 ISOs, a 10.4.4 and a 10.4.8.

Thanks!

that is a very odd error. it would suggest that something happens with the partition

or the partition table after you installed it and then ran osx for the first time. what

tools do you use to partition your drive? maybe try the diskpart as the link in one

of the tutorials above suggests?

that is a very odd error. it would suggest that something happens with the partition

or the partition table after you installed it and then ran osx for the first time. what

tools do you use to partition your drive? maybe try the diskpart as the link in one

of the tutorials above suggests?

i did use diskpart to partition the drive

@tygryss & Mylan

I had the same problem but it was solved after using Daemon Tools instead of a Phisical Drive. My problem now is that I want to install Mac directly (no DDing) in one partition of my Hard Disk but when I choose my second partition (100Gb) as the hard disk in vmware the MacOs intaller finds a disk with 128Gb that i cannot format. It says the disk needs to be repaired but i can't repair it. :D Help PLX..

hello, and thanks in advance for any help. I've successfully installed OS X via VMWare, it runs in the virtual machine. When i boot natively, however, after i see the darwin boot screen, my PC resets. i've tried the -v command at the boot screen but all i see is a bunch of "Loading HFS file...." messages fly past me, then it reboots.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300

ECS P4M800-Pro motherboard (P4M800PRO & 8237R+ chipset)

2x512MB DDR400 RAM

ATI Radeon 9600AIW

Hercules Game Theater XP 7.1 sound card.

Hey i set up a virtual machine with my disc drive set to the virtual drive the Daemon Tools set up and i have an independent-persistent physical drive set to use the entire disk. I get the installer to come up, i format the partition i want to install OS X on and it installs no problem. Then when i reboot my virtual machine i get a blue screen saying that my hard drive is corrupt and to run chkdsk. How can i fix this and how do you run chkdsk?

I followed this guide and everything works except when I try to boot natively I get these errors:

IOPCI2PCIBridge: bad bridge bus numbering, no room to fix, bailing out!

IOPCCardBridge:: checkBridgeBusIDs invalid sub/carbus/pci settings of 0x5

What should I do? Thanks for any help

I followed this guide and everything works except when I try to boot natively I get these errors:

IOPCI2PCIBridge: bad bridge bus numbering, no room to fix, bailing out!

IOPCCardBridge:: checkBridgeBusIDs invalid sub/carbus/pci settings of 0x5

What should I do? Thanks for any help

Try booting with -f -x -v :)

Ok, I need a little help. I've followed the guide and got everything set up as it was said to do, however after going through the entire installation I get to the grey screen with the apple logo and the little loading animation and it gets stuck and freezes right there.

Then, when I try to restart the virtual machine, I get an error message talking about removing my physical drive and then re-adding it. My computer specs are:

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800-E

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz

Ram: 1 GB DDR

According to CPU-Z my "instructions" are: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

HD: Partitioned 120 Maxtor , Installing on 10 GB partition

I've had two different versions of the disk image but the one I'm currently using is:

Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1]

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, I need a little help. I've followed the guide and got everything set up as it was said to do, however after going through the entire installation I get to the grey screen with the apple logo and the little loading animation and it gets stuck and freezes right there.

Then, when I try to restart the virtual machine, I get an error message talking about removing my physical drive and then re-adding it. My computer specs are:

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800-E

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz

Ram: 1 GB DDR

According to CPU-Z my "instructions" are: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

HD: Partitioned 120 Maxtor , Installing on 10 GB partition

I've had two different versions of the disk image but the one I'm currently using is:

Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1]

Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure the partition you are installing to is an active partition. Also, try booting with -v to see what errors come up.

- SABR. :)

SABR, i have a problem with my audio. I have a SoundMax integrated audio setup. I have the volume icon on my screen and I can adjust the volume but i cant hear anything. What can I do to fix this?

This is the wrong section for that. You'll need to have a look in the Hardware section. Better yet, search the forum if you haven't already.

- SABR.