[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

My computer is installed MAC OSX 10.4.6 by VMware. It's successful runing on VMware in windows, but when I try to use chain0 to boot it from Windows Boot list, its say: "Still waiting for root device". Even if I have successful install in VMware.

this is my IDE setup:

Pri.Mas: 80GB HDD --> 2 partition (C: & D:) (C --> WINDOWS || D --> MACOSX)

Pri.Slv: 200GB HDD --> 1 partition (E:) (E --> Backup)

Sec.Mas: CD-RW

Sec.Slv: LiteOn DVD-RW.

I still don't know why it's asking for root device while I installed it on my PC with VMware.

My computer is installed MAC OSX 10.4.6 by VMware. It's successful runing on VMware in windows, but when I try to use chain0 to boot it from Windows Boot list, its say: "Still waiting for root device". Even if I have successful install in VMware.

this is my IDE setup:

Pri.Mas: 80GB HDD --> 2 partition (C: & D:) (C --> WINDOWS || D --> MACOSX)

Pri.Slv: 200GB HDD --> 1 partition (E:) (E --> Backup)

Sec.Mas: CD-RW

Sec.Slv: LiteOn DVD-RW.

I still don't know why it's asking for root device while I installed it on my PC with VMware.

Are you using an nForce 4 chipset motherboard, with a SATA HDD?

what is nForce 4 Chipset Broard???

Ok, did you buy the system from Dell, or HP, etc...? If so, what brand / model is it? Ideally, I need to know what your motherboard model is. Use CPUz to find out.

i have a question

lets say that i install the 10.4.7 via this method

in vmware everything works now (except the nvidia gpu..this is known)

i install the OSX to a partition that is not at my primary master disk C:

the disk i have windowsXP

i want to install the OSX to a 10GB partition on a SATA i have (300GB=H:290gb / Z:10gb_OSX)

will this work?

i saw somewhere a very simple way to boot from partition

must the partition be at the primary master disk that the xp are?

the trick has only this :

Install the OSX to a partition

# Restart the computer with a Win 98/ME start cd or disk.

# Start fdisk, set Win XP partition as active.

# Copy chain0 to c:\.

# Add chain0=”Mac OSX” to boot.ini in Win XP.

so,i must do this thing?

where i will find the chain0 to copy to c?

PLZZ read carefully before reply about what i say that i install the OSX not to primary IDE disk that i have windows but in a SATA 10GB partition

will this work?

i want to boot in native mode but not partition more my C: (there is not many free space)

in vmware it is very slow

thankz

EDIT cant erase the 10GB FAT32 disk in disk utility.There is no disk for install of course,i go to disk utility and i see the 300GB SATA with 2 partitions in it.The 10GB is the partition i want to erase to MAC format.i press erase and i get error.Then the disk disapear and i can only see the 290GB.Maybe i should do the partition in the disk utility and not in partition magic?Should i delete this 10GB partition so the disk will be again 300GB and then partition via the disk utility(10GB) ?how? im affraid dont loose the 290GB :blink:

The disk i chosed from vmware is indepented/persi..This should be the most easy method and i cant erase the disk :whistle:

is the SATA disk the problem?

ok i decided what i want to do :angel:

FORGET VMWARE

this time i go native mode and nothing virtual

so i put the DVD and boot through OSX installer

the darwin saw up and i thought i was still in vmware(i tried to press ctrl+alt to release the cursor)

now in native mode it is FAST ,i like it

its a real OS

i realizes it from the beggining as the curson was moving (no frames lose,real motion)

and the vesa driver now is 256 not 16 from vmware :)

ok now lets go to the problems as usuall :idea:

from the disk utility cannot see at all my sata

is there any way to install it in the sata partition,to recognise it?

it recognize the 2 IDE disks and the 2 partitions on them (2 IDE x2 with partition)

make another one partition in IDE?

now i will have 4 IDE another one i go to 5 IDE ,the 290SATA and the 10GB partition to the SATA i want to install the osx = 7 DISKS!

ok i did it,i go to reboot and install the OSX on an IDE

if i can install it on the SATA plz tell me

im off with the VMWARE,i go for the real thing now :)

from the disk utility cannot see at all my sata

is there any way to install it in the sata partition,to recognise it?

if i can install it on the SATA plz tell me

OSX has limited support for SATA controllers. It can only support SATA controllers from Intel and VIA. If your motherboard has a different controller chip, then OSX cannot see your SATA and you cannot use it with OSX.

Install to partition on a PATA/ATA/IDE drive.

Hey i used this method to install and it worked great but, after i installed and restarted my computer, I get a Disk Boot Failure, i have tried doin everything, any idea? I installed this fully on the HD meaning i deleted my XP Partition

Edit:

So i used a program to get it to boot my error is com.app.boot.plis not found, so i pressed f8 and then i booted into OS X anyway to fix it so it automaticlly boots

Edit:

So i used a program to get it to boot my error is com.app.boot.plis not found, so i pressed f8 and then i booted into OS X anyway to fix it so it automaticlly boots

So problem solved, then?

No it comes up every time i reboot, so everytime i have to select my main MAC OS X partition to boot, for some reason iti s logical so i unmounted my other drive to see if it would work i think the problem is when i installed OS X i created 2 partitions the main OS X install partition and a 20 GB partition afterwards, it's trying to load the 20 gb partition which is totally empty, so i have to manually tell it to boot the main OS X partition and then from darwin i have to tell it to boot the main OS X partition.

and also, MAC OS X is not detecting my DVD Drive, is a NEC 2600A

Ohhh, ok. I just understood what you actually meant in that sentence I quoted. If you had used full stops, etc... I would've gotten it the first time :)

Go here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...he_boot_options

Scroll down a little bit until you see the "To set Darwin to boot from a particular partition:" section :(

Firstly, thank you so much for this guide. Was getting the "no go" symbol (circle with line through it) when trying to install from DVD.

This method seemed so far to work perfectly (fingers crossed).

This is the first time I have done this so I am a noob and as a noob I need to ask one probably stupid question; do I need a USB keyboard when booting native. The PS2 one doesn't seed to work, only in VMWare.

Thanks again. :)

Hi! Great thanks for the tutorial! I did everything you described, but here's a problem:

I have set VMware to a .bin image on a virtual drive created by Daemon tools.

Booting with -v i get:

Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 88, trying /sbin/mach_init

Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 88

The screenshot is here: http://www.gvmarch.nm.ru/06.png

I get the same message when mounting the .bin image by Alcohol 120%.

Is it necessary to convert .bin to .ISO and if yes, what software would you recommend? (preferrably free)

Thanks in advance. :D

Hi! Great thanks for the tutorial! I did everything you described, but here's a problem:

Booting with -v i get:

Is it necessary to convert .bin to .ISO and if yes, what software would you recommend? (preferrably free)

I had the same problem, all i did was i disabled my second virtual processor and instead of using VMware to emulate the DVD i used Daemon tools. And it worked.

Booting with -v i get:

That was the error I got when I used VMWare to mount the ISO of OSx86. I would recommend you try JaTiN's advice above, and then if it does not work - convert the .bin to .iso using PowerISO :P

I had the same problem, all i did was i disabled my second virtual processor and instead of using VMware to emulate the DVD i used Daemon tools. And it worked.

I used one virtual processor from the start, and i tried Daemon Tools as well. It still does not work :(

That was the error I got when I used VMWare to mount the ISO of OSx86. I would recommend you try JaTiN's advice above, and then if it does not work - convert the .bin to .iso using PowerISO :)

Strangely, when i tried to convert .bin to .iso, Power Iso said:

"The type of the source and destination image file is identical. No conversion is needed"

:( :( :(

Strangely, when i tried to convert .bin to .iso, Power Iso said:

"The type of the source and destination image file is identical. No conversion is needed"

You need to consider whether the .bin is any good. What is the title of the .bin you downloaded?

When you mount the .bin as a virtual drive and then look at the contents, what do you see? Windows won't see any of the OSX files, but it should see a handfull of "boot" files. If you don't see them, consider that the .bin might be no good.

You need to consider whether the .bin is any good. What is the title of the .bin you downloaded?

When you mount the .bin as a virtual drive and then look at the contents, what do you see? Windows won't see any of the OSX files, but it should see a handfull of "boot" files. If you don't see them, consider that the .bin might be no good.

It is JaS 10.4.7, when i open it in Power Iso (or open in windows explorer), i see these "boot" files:

post-61156-1161617975_thumb.png

( BOOT. BOOT.CAT BOOT0. BOOT1H. BOOT1U. BOOTHELP.TXT CDBOOT. CHAIN0. )