[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

is it possible for me to run cd installed mac osx 10-4-7 on VMware ?

Or do i have to reformat the htfs partitision again and install it with VMware ?

You can format a partition through the disk utility supplied on the installation DVD/ISO. Therefore, you should be able to just load up the DVD disc / ISO file in VMWare, and tell it to format the partition Mac OS X Journaled. Then you can install onto it. :D

I am trying to boot OSX 10.4.8 SSE3 patched DVD via VMWARE but it's giving me error saying:

"*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) *** The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down"

The kernel on the DVD is an early version of Semthex's kernel and doesn't support VMWare.

Try booting with: -legacy when booting the iso. Or try booting with: mach_kernel.mifki

If neither of those work, install 10.4.8 using the Paulicat method: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34871

I get this error:

*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

wtf is that means?

I get this error:

The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

wtf is that means?

I get the same message trying to boot 10.4.8 on my Core 2 Duo.

Curious thing is I also get this message trying to boot a previously working 10.4.3 virtual machine I copied from my P4. However my 10.4.1 virtual machine still works.

Very frustrating cause I can't get physical install to work on SATA either. :tomato:

woohoo first post here... this site and its associates seem to have been my 'home' for almost a week now!

I only have a patched 10.4.1 dvd :) . I got this installed on a VM but want to try a native install as the VM is almost unusably slow (tho' removing the ACPI kext or whatever did speed it up somewhat). Will the approach in this HowTo (perhaps with some tinkering) work with this pre-10.4.3 version? And am I right in thinking that, because I have nForce4/SATA2 hardware, I will actually be unable to install OS X 10.4.x by booting my physical machine off the OS X DVD, and will need to take an approach _like_ the one described here to install OSX so that I may choose to boot into it on powering up my PC?

and a question whose answer is surely "NO!!!": suppose I'm dual booting XP and OSX. Is there any way, using virtualization or otherwise, that I can, when in XP, boot the native OSX installation? That is (in case I'm using the word 'native' incorrectly), can I choose 'OSX' as the OS to boot into when I power on my physical machine, then change, say, the wallpaper, reboot, boot into XP, start an OSX VM, and have the OSX the VM boots be the 'same' OSX that I booted earlier, so that in the VM, my wallpaper changes are apparent?

PS I am on dialup so want to avoid as many ~4G downloads as possible! Took a month to get what I'm working with now!

See posting 429 above.

Thanks Rammjet

However, I have tried both legacy and kernel mifki in 10.4.8 Also newest semthex kernel.

Tried both native and VMware.

Tried JAS 10.4.8 reseed and 10.4.8 AMD with PPF 1.

Can't boot versions before 10.4.8 native on my new box as its only SATA not PATA

And for some reason my old virtual machines past 10.4.1 now give this kernel stack fault on new box. They ran (slowly) on my SSE2 P4. I have tried cpus=1 both in VMware and as boot flag from Darwin. I have tried current 5.5.3 VMware and my old 5.0 version with same result.

So at this point I'm stuck. Hoping we get an SSE2 version of 10.4.8. Then I will try installing it on an old drive on my old box, attach it to my new box with a promise PCI card, and boot Linux to dd that installation to a partition. And I can use my 10.4.1 virtual machine to add ktexts until it works.

Build a 10.4.8 installation in VMWare using the Paulicat method. Follow the 10.4.8 link in my signature.

But 10.4.8 isn't magically going to make your SATA work.

I can't use Paulicat as 10.4.3 up crashes in VMware, giving kernel stack fault as mentioned above.

What I'm going to do is make a 10.4.6 or 7 install on my P4.

Then run Apples update, which of course will render that unusable on my P4.

Then use Linux to dd partition to a file

Then transfer that file to my new box via ethernet

Then dd that file to a partition (made correct size with Partition magic)

Then use my 10.4.1 Virtual Machine to access that Partition and patch ala Pastebin. Although I'll try mifki 1st.

Once I get it installed, I think my SATA will work under 10.4.8. Its Intel ICH8R. osx86project 10.4.8 components lists as supported.

I get this error:

wtf is that means?

I think I figured this out.

See wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware_how_to

At bottom:

Comment 9:

VMware would continually reboot while trying to boot the install DVD on my Conroe/965P board when VMware guest OS was set to freeBSD. I solved this by changing the guest-OS type to "Windows NT". Other guest OS settings did _not_ work.

* This was happening for me too, on a Conroe/965. THis fixed it and now it works like a charm. Does anyone know whether this is the cpu or chipset causing this?

As I am on Conroe/965 I am going to go try this. VMware install is much easier than swapping hard disks.

Follow-up:

Using notepad to edit vmx file I changed the guest OS and nvram lines to read:

guestOS = "winnt"

nvram = "Windows NT.nvram"

Also this line should already be in vmx file

paevm = "true"

Works! My 10.4.3 machine I ported boots again! Now to try to get 10.4.8 to install in VMware, and from there to native.

woohoo first post here... this site and its associates seem to have been my 'home' for almost a week now!

I only have a patched 10.4.1 dvd :( . I got this installed on a VM but want to try a native install as the VM is almost unusably slow (tho' removing the ACPI kext or whatever did speed it up somewhat). Will the approach in this HowTo (perhaps with some tinkering) work with this pre-10.4.3 version? And am I right in thinking that, because I have nForce4/SATA2 hardware, I will actually be unable to install OS X 10.4.x by booting my physical machine off the OS X DVD, and will need to take an approach _like_ the one described here to install OSX so that I may choose to boot into it on powering up my PC?

and a question whose answer is surely "NO!!!": suppose I'm dual booting XP and OSX. Is there any way, using virtualization or otherwise, that I can, when in XP, boot the native OSX installation? That is (in case I'm using the word 'native' incorrectly), can I choose 'OSX' as the OS to boot into when I power on my physical machine, then change, say, the wallpaper, reboot, boot into XP, start an OSX VM, and have the OSX the VM boots be the 'same' OSX that I booted earlier, so that in the VM, my wallpaper changes are apparent?

PS I am on dialup so want to avoid as many ~4G downloads as possible! Took a month to get what I'm working with now!

Ouch - a month!? You're going to be pretty annoyed when I tell you that... well, 10.4.1 isn't really very good now :P

I would seriously recommend downloading JaS's 10.4.8 ReSeed. To install natively onto an nForce4 setup, you're going to need a PATA (IDE) HDD. I did know of a SATA(2) + nForce4 driver being made, but that isn't integrated onto the install disk, so either way - you're going to need to use an IDE drive.

Ouch - a month!? You're going to be pretty annoyed when I tell you that... well, 10.4.1 isn't really very good now :D

I would seriously recommend downloading JaS's 10.4.8 ReSeed. To install natively onto an nForce4 setup, you're going to need a PATA (IDE) HDD. I did know of a SATA(2) + nForce4 driver being made, but that isn't integrated onto the install disk, so either way - you're going to need to use an IDE drive.

Thx SABR. Am currently and very belatedly overclocking my 5-mth old venice CPU so hoping that will help with VM speed. My 10.4.1 -> 10.4.3 upgrade is not really downloading so I'm not as averse to another huge d/l as I might have been (can I even upgrade 10.4.1 all the way to 10.4.8 I wonder?). Interesting news re IDE... problem is I can't for the life of me get an IDE HDD to work with my PC! (I discovered this when I had to RMA my SATA2 HDD.) Have a DFI nForce4 SLI Infinity m/b if anyone has any bright ideas... neither of the 2 IDE drives here will work...

Hmmm, ok, my mistake. If you go to the 10.4.8 HCL you will see an nForce 4 motherboard with SATA working. I guess they got it working pretty well!

I don't think you can upgrade 10.4.1 => 10.4.8. If you do, you're going to be downloading quite a lot anyway, and stuff will probably get mixed up etc... I would advise you download the JaS 10.4.8 ReSeed ISO DVD, and do a fresh install. It'll work tons better, since semthex has developed a kernel which detects VMWare, and the speed is comparable to Intel Macs that Apple currently sells.

SABR.

Hmmm, ok, my mistake. If you go to the 10.4.8 HCL you will see an nForce 4 motherboard with SATA working. I guess they got it working pretty well!

I don't think you can upgrade 10.4.1 => 10.4.8. If you do, you're going to be downloading quite a lot anyway, and stuff will probably get mixed up etc... I would advise you download the JaS 10.4.8 ReSeed ISO DVD, and do a fresh install. It'll work tons better, since semthex has developed a kernel which detects VMWare, and the speed is comparable to Intel Macs that Apple currently sells.

SABR.

ok ok I'm sold - sounds like a win-win on both vmware and (possibly) native fronts :whistle: . Thx for your help sabr - hey is semthex's kernel good for amd cpus?

I was tying to find a solution to my "Virtual machine kernel stack fault" problem and I was directed to this discussion.

I am tring to install JaS 10.4.8 Intel Only on VMWare 5.5.3

My system is;

Acer Travelmate 8215WLMi

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 / 2 GHz / 4 MB - L2 Cache

2 GB DDR II SDRAM (Dual channel)

160 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm

DVD±RW (+R double layer)

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

15.4" TFT active matrix 1680 x 1050 ( WSXGA+ )

ATI Mobility x1600 512 Mbyte GDDR3 Ram

but everytime I received this error

"Virtual machine kernel stack fault"

I have tried different guest systems like Other, FreeBSD, WindowsNT, Linux etc... Result was the same...

I tried with 10.4.6 HOTISO as well but the result was same.

I burned 10.4.6 on DVD and I tried installing from boot up but at that time it stucked at Apple logo page. I tried to see where it stucks with -v command and it says

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x11, ASCQ=0x00

disk1s3: I/O error.

Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 5, trying /sbin/mach-init

disk1s3: I/O error.

Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 5

Unfortunately I could not see where it stucks with 10.4.8 on VMWare because -v command takes me to an error saying;

System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

I tried to see what is happenening by Debug method in VMWare and I received this error window;

VMWare_Error.jpg

Any ideas what I sould try?

On booting from DVD, when you get the SAM Multimedia error, it means the system is having trouble reading your DVD.

Try burning the DVD again at the slowest speed possible. Use a different brand of media. Use a different type of media (dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw, dvd+rw)

Check to see if you have the latest firmware on your DVD drive.

Clean the lense of the DVD drive.

That should fix it 99% of the time.

For the VMWare "virtual machine kernel stack" error, follow the Misc link in my signature and try changing the settings found in the VMWare link.

Thank you for your reply.

I am going to try to burn it again in slow speed and try via boot up install.

I have tried with chaning VMWare settings as mentioned in the links you wrote. I used Daemon Tools 4.03HE to create the DVD disc. And changed these in the Windows NT.vmx file;

guestOS = "winnt"

nvram = "Windows NT.nvram"

paevm = "true"

but the result is same...

"Virtual machine kernel stack fault"

Ok I burned 10.4.8 JaS Intel Only on DVD in slow speed and then started from boot-up. This time the problem is different

post-67966-1165871774_thumb.jpg

It freezes at

Started CPU 01

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

It says my DVD is Semtex kernel 10.4.8 - rufus Build v0.0.3

PAE enabled

64 Bit enabled

Details can be seen on the attached image.

Unfortunately I could not find any post here related to this issue.

i got 10.4.8 installed using vmware but when i try to boot native i get Still waiting for root device. I have xp on one sata drive and osx installed the other. how can i get osx to boot native?

opteron 165

dfi lanpary rdx200 ati chipset

x1900xtx

raptorx with xp

raptor x with osx installed and working in vmware

250 gig sata backup drive

Thanks for the help

Hey guys, first post.

I want to start with saying thanks to SABR for the guide and for the responses to others questions.

My problem is this:

I initially got the "kernel stack" error, but I changed the os in vmware to windows NT and now I don't get that error. Instead, now I install it just fine, but when you have to restart at the end, I go back to darwin and it wants me to install again. As if the previous installation had not occured. If anyone has suggestions, I'm at my wits end, so post away.

Thanks.