[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

Awesome guide.

My current setup has serious issues with mac. Can't get a stable install no matter what I try.

Thats with my Asus P5VD2-MX

So i'm seriously considering this motherboard.

There is just a couple of things that I would like to confirm that people got working.

1. 5.1 Channel sound

2. Two Graphics cards support. (I currently have a spare Gygabite 7600GT 256mb PCIe and a FX5500 256mb PCI card. I can't get both of them to work together with my current mainboard.)

If these cards are not compatible which card could I purchase that would work with the 7600GT

Thanks heaps!

I fixed the snow screen problem! For all those who run into the same thing...

Problem(s): After installing Leopard and rebooting, the Apple logo showed, then took me to a black/white snowy screen.

My Vid Card is an ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro XT 512MB GDDR3 (PCIe).

Fix: Reinstall and in Customizing, check drivers under the "Graphics_Drivers tab" that match your card. I checked "NATIT_For_X2000_X3000_Series" and "white_menus_fixe_HD2600_pro."

Sweetness.

Could you please test this board out more. I would like to build one.I can't buy one till late Aug.

I have no idea how hard it is going to be to track down the board in the guide.

Other than the Radeon card,what else do you have set up.

Thank you

Hey guys.. just thought i would pop back in and post some bench marks so you can get an idea of how my rig stacks up with the others after using this guide and a little detective work :unsure:

i only ran Geekbench and Xbench, but if you want me to run something else then just drop me a PM..

Geekbench Score 4934

Version Geekbench 2.0.17

Platform Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Operating System Mac OS X 10.5.4 (Build 9E17)

Processor Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Processor Frequency 3.66 GHz

Model Hackintosh

Memory 4.00 GB 800 MHz RAM

Integer Score 4211

Floating Point Score 6965

Memory Score 3866

tream Score 2501

System Info:

Platform Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Compiler GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)

Operating System Mac OS X 10.5.4 (Build 9E17)

Model Hackintosh

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P35-DS3L x.x

Processor Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6

Logical Processors 2

Physical Processors 1

Processor Frequency 3.66 GHz

L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB

L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB

L2 Cache 6.00 MB

L3 Cache 0.00 B

Bus Frequency 1.63 GHz

Memory 4.00 GB

Memory Type 800 MHz RAM

SIMD 1

BIOS Award Software International, Inc. F7

Processor Model Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Xbench Results 233.41

Xbench Version 1.3

awesome guide weaksauce. thanks again for the time and effort

So... got everything up and running but due to using the pdf, i didn't select the last 3 customization options. All the ones under hardbios. Is there a way i can fix this or do i need to reinstall?

Check "Lastnetkassmbios" under "Hardcoded_SMBIOS", "PCGenUSB Fix", and "TimeMachineFix" under "Other Patches"

Awesome guide.

My current setup has serious issues with mac. Can't get a stable install no matter what I try.

Thats with my Asus P5VD2-MX

So i'm seriously considering this motherboard.

There is just a couple of things that I would like to confirm that people got working.

1. 5.1 Channel sound

2. Two Graphics cards support. (I currently have a spare Gygabite 7600GT 256mb PCIe and a FX5500 256mb PCI card. I can't get both of them to work together with my current mainboard.)

If these cards are not compatible which card could I purchase that would work with the 7600GT

Thanks heaps!

I don't know if 5.1 is supported or not; I know that 2.1 is, via both digital and analog outputs.

This board only has one 16x PCI Express slot, so you'd be limited to a 1x PCI Express card for your second card, which would probably be close to worthless.

awesome guide weaksauce. thanks again for the time and effort

So... got everything up and running but due to using the pdf, i didn't select the last 3 customization options. All the ones under hardbios. Is there a way i can fix this or do i need to reinstall?

Check "Lastnetkassmbios" under "Hardcoded_SMBIOS", "PCGenUSB Fix", and "TimeMachineFix" under "Other Patches"

Other Patches:

> Hardcoded_SMBIOS

>>> Lastnetkassmbios

> PCGenUSB Fix

> Time Machine Fix

Click on Other Patches, then you will see a bunch of options. You can click on PCGenUSB Fix and Time Machine fix first. Then, open up Hardcoded_SMBIOS and you should see the last netkas smbios. Does that clear it up? The wording is kind of funny.

that was a fast reply weaksauce12 thanks. Do you know of a good online retailer who might have the required board in stock? i found a few on amazon but the y don't go in to detail regarding the specs.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-P35-DS3L...boutThisProduct

An eBay seller by the name of "macpalace7" has a whole bunch in stock; they are Rev 2.0 boards.

Yes, it was native - when I installed Kalyway there wasn't anything special with regards to Wifi that was any different than when I installed Leopard on my MacBook. No special utilities or anything, and it behaves just like the wireless on the MacBook (except it's G not N).

Card is a Linksys WMP54GS 802.11g card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...amp;Tpk=wmp54gs

Awesome! I have one of those lying around here somewhere, I'll have to give it a shot sometime :P

I don't know if 5.1 is supported or not; I know that 2.1 is, via both digital and analog outputs.

This board only has one 16x PCI Express slot, so you'd be limited to a 1x PCI Express card for your second card, which would probably be close to worthless.

Thanks very much for the info.

Can anyone verify that surround sound (Analog with 2 channels in each input) works

and another thing.

I just checked pretty much every computer store and ebay and nothing is available in australia for liss than about 150$AU hahaha

Are there any cheaper boards with the same chipset etc that would also be just as compatible. I'm not too worried about running a quad core or anything.

Would any board on the P35 range do?

Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the info.

Can anyone verify that surround sound (Analog with 2 channels in each input) works

and another thing.

I just checked pretty much every computer store and ebay and nothing is available in australia for liss than about 150$AU hahaha

Are there any cheaper boards with the same chipset etc that would also be just as compatible. I'm not too worried about running a quad core or anything.

Would any board on the P35 range do?

Thanks again.

There are lots of other P35 boards that work. But there's only one weaksauce12 guide :queen: lol seriously though...just browse through the Genius Bar forum and see if you can find a tutorial for a board that is available locally for you.

Other Patches:

> Hardcoded_SMBIOS

>>> Lastnetkassmbios

> PCGenUSB Fix

> Time Machine Fix

Click on Other Patches, then you will see a bunch of options. You can click on PCGenUSB Fix and Time Machine fix first. Then, open up Hardcoded_SMBIOS and you should see the last netkas smbios. Does that clear it up? The wording is kind of funny.

i had not done this when i installed it and came across this after the install. Is there a way to fix this post install?

also, after installing nvinjector and the sound driver, in my system profiler, for my audio, it shows up as "No built in audio" and for graphics, it shows up as "Graphics by nVidia". I'm guessing this is gonna cause problems down the line although both seem to be working fine. Any directions?

(btw, was the person that passed away close to you? my condolences)

Hey all, first of all, big thanks to weaksauce12 for a great guide.

I just redid my former 10.5.2 set up using this guide. Everything looks great, except my Microsoft Wireless Desktop 1000 keyboard isn't fully working. I installed the Microsoft 6.2.2 Intellitype/Intellipoint software, and I do get a mouse entry in system preferences, but no Microsoft Keyboard shows up. My volume buttons don't work! Note: I'm just using one USB connection for the keyboard and mouse. Nothing is connected using PS/2.

Before I redid my hack, the keyboard and mouse were working great. I did however, install it using a Logitech PS/2 connected set, then moved to the Msft when the Logitech gave me issues. I used the same MSFt software, and everything was detected and worked fine.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Hi weaksauce12,

I noticed that MobileMe wasn't installed after using your guide. Went from Kalyway 10.5.2 (pzwiz's install) > 10.5.3 (weaksauce12 install) > 10.5.4 (weaksauce12 install)

MobileMe didn't show up in "Software Update" either.

Maybe the Software Update scans for Hackintoshes and will not allow MobileMe to update? I do have an active mac.com account.

I found MobileMe.pkg on a torrent and it installed fine as it shows up in System Preferences as MobleMe and not as previously Mac.com.

Software Update did see the MoblieMe and updated to the latest.

MobileMe worked fine accessing via the browser, but when trying to upload an iMovie, via iMovie’s Share menu it wouldn’t let me using .mac

Maybe incorporate MoblieMe.pkg in your next update?

Thanks,

John

Well everything went smooth except something happen which knocked my processor speed down from 2.4 to 1.6ghz?

Reading at Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 1.60 Ghz

Could have sworn it always has read 2.4 no?

EDIT

Changed something in the BIOS and got it back to 2.4

The whole process here was very simple. Took me under two hours. Working way nicer than my BadAxe so far and I'm at 10.5.4

Weaksauce has done it again.

I noticed my case Antec Sonata only has 4 SATA power plugs and they dont reach all my hd's and DVD/CD so I need to go buy an adapater. Other than that, all seems well. Installing software as we speak.

Also, ordering 2 new imacs today because the hackintosh is fun but just isnt the same. Just wanted to say that.

Hi weaksauce12,

I noticed that MobileMe wasn't installed after using your guide. Went from Kalyway 10.5.2 (pzwiz's install) > 10.5.3 (weaksauce12 install) > 10.5.4 (weaksauce12 install)

Maybe the Software Update scans for Hackintoshes and will not allow MobileMe to update? I do have an active mac.com account.

I found MobileMe.pkg on a torrent and it installed fine as it shows up in System Preferences as MobleMe and not as previously Mac.com.

MobileMe worked fine accessing via the browser, but when trying to upload an iMovie, via iMovie's Share menu it wouldn't let me using .mac

Maybe incorporate MoblieMe.pkg in your next update?

Thanks,

John

Good call on mobileme.

I just downloaded the torrent and updated.

Will do some testing now.

Just did a fresh install using the new guide and everything works just fine on vanilla 10.5.4 thanks alot! :whistle:

Except... Diablo2/Starcraft! I know this is a general Geforce Problem on Osx 10.5.2+( even on real macs) but maybe you want to add the fix to your guide anyway :rolleyes:

1.Get Pacifist

2.Download http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/leo...csupdate10.html

3.Extract NVDAResman.kext

4.Install using kexthelper

5.Reboot

Just did a fresh install using the new guide and everything works just fine on vanilla 10.5.4 thanks alot! :P

Except... Diablo2/Starcraft! I know this is a general Geforce Problem on Osx 10.5.2+( even on real macs) but maybe you want to add the fix to your guide anyway :(

1.Get Pacifist

5.Reboot

What is this for?

My hardware as follows"

Gigabyte EP35-DS3L 1.0

4gig 800mhz memory

ASUS EN9600GT 512mb graphics memory

Almost everything works accept for the graphics card. I manage to get the sound by following your tutorial.

I will report back here if something is not working till then happy using my hackintosh

Regards.

Hey Weaksauce thanks for the awesome guide...

I'm going to follow your guide with a GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit graphics card ($174.99)...

I've got two questions, is the tv out signal working out of the box in your setup?

And do you know if this would be a good card for Final Cut or should I buy something cheaper?

i had not done this when i installed it and came across this after the install. Is there a way to fix this post install?

also, after installing nvinjector and the sound driver, in my system profiler, for my audio, it shows up as "No built in audio" and for graphics, it shows up as "Graphics by nVidia". I'm guessing this is gonna cause problems down the line although both seem to be working fine. Any directions?

Absolutely, just follow this guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

You ONLY need to install this if you are having problems with USB devices, in particular USB Flash Drives and external USB Hard Drives. For some reason, this is not a problem for everyone, but even if it's not a problem, it shouldn't hurt you to install it (which is why I include it standard in the guide now).

Your audio in System Profiler is correct; it should show up as "No built in audio". That is normal. I believe there is a hack to make this display some sort of information, I'll poke around for that and post back if I find a solution.

Your video is also somewhat normal...technically it should say the graphics card model, but if Quartz Extreme and Core Image are enabled and supported (hardware-accelerated), then it's fine and it is working correctly. 512mb cards in particular have this problem. Try running graphics-related stuff like Aperture, Photoshop, iMovie, iPhoto, Final Cut Pro, etc., and see if there are any issues. I'll look into a fix for this; I believe it is as simple as editing a line or two of text and saving the file.

Super guide!!

I followed the guide to the letter with rev.2 MB and all is well- even sound works ( for the first time for me)...

THANKS-

Glad to hear it! :D What are your system specs?

One note about Overclocking

You can try to lower CPU core voltage to as low as 1.2 and adjust upward. The CPU will run less hot. My idle temp is 30 C and loaded max is 43 C

Wow those are fantastic temps! I'm working on a better Overclocking guide; I've only dabbled in it a bit. Thanks! :)

Here I go underway.

Just tore apart a pretty good working Weaksauce Bad Axe setup to try this.

Weaksauce has said I'll be much happier and better off with this board and system.

We'll see :-) Installing now

Yeah, I miss my Bad Axe 2 as well...it was a great little board. Lots of potential, I just couldn't get past that cursed boot code problem! ARGGG! It STILL makes me want to pull my hair out, lol. It's okay though...my Gigabyte DS3L runs much nicer...I'm okay...I'm okay...breathe...

Hey all, first of all, big thanks to weaksauce12 for a great guide.

I just redid my former 10.5.2 set up using this guide. Everything looks great, except my Microsoft Wireless Desktop 1000 keyboard isn't fully working. I installed the Microsoft 6.2.2 Intellitype/Intellipoint software, and I do get a mouse entry in system preferences, but no Microsoft Keyboard shows up. My volume buttons don't work! Note: I'm just using one USB connection for the keyboard and mouse. Nothing is connected using PS/2.

Before I redid my hack, the keyboard and mouse were working great. I did however, install it using a Logitech PS/2 connected set, then moved to the Msft when the Logitech gave me issues. I used the same MSFt software, and everything was detected and worked fine.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Did you use the very latest version of the guide, with the USB fix? If not, install the USB fix here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

I have a Microsoft keyboard as well, and my Volume Buttons are recognized even without software. Before you try the USB fix, unplug the M$ Receiver and then boot up the computer. Once it's booted, try plugging the receiver into a different USB port. I had to move my Firewire card to a different after installation because it didn't recognize it initially after installation.

Hi weaksauce12,

MobileMe worked fine accessing via the browser, but when trying to upload an iMovie, via iMovie's Share menu it wouldn't let me using .mac

Does Dot Mac/MobileMe include a Software CD to install? If so, did you install it and then try running Software Update? I'm not familiar with how MobileMe works...is it an app that you install that syncs with Apple servers?

Well everything went smooth except something happen which knocked my processor speed down from 2.4 to 1.6ghz?

Reading at Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 1.60 Ghz

Could have sworn it always has read 2.4 no?

EDIT

Changed something in the BIOS and got it back to 2.4

The whole process here was very simple. Took me under two hours. Working way nicer than my BadAxe so far and I'm at 10.5.4

Weaksauce has done it again.

I noticed my case Antec Sonata only has 4 SATA power plugs and they dont reach all my hd's and DVD/CD so I need to go buy an adapater. Other than that, all seems well. Installing software as we speak.

Also, ordering 2 new imacs today because the hackintosh is fun but just isnt the same. Just wanted to say that.

My board hasn't knocked the speed down, but like Johnny V said, it sounds like some sort of safety mode. Make sure that your thermal paste is applied correctly and the cooler is seated correctly (this can be difficult with those stupid pin-clip). If the cooler is seated correctly, you should be able to lift the motherboard up by grasping the cooler and lifting (assuming it's not screwed in and no cards are connected!)...it should have a very solid connection, no movement. The Intel push-pin connection system is pretty crappy, I don't know why a screw system isn't standard yet. Anyway, also make sure that your paste is applied correctly. Here are the Arctic Silver 5 instructions for various CPU's:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

Also, congrats on the iMacs...those are great machines! :) Any particular reason you chose them over a Hackintosh? (aside from the "cool" factor, haha)

Just did a fresh install using the new guide and everything works just fine on vanilla 10.5.4 thanks alot! :)

Except... Diablo2/Starcraft! I know this is a general Geforce Problem on Osx 10.5.2+( even on real macs) but maybe you want to add the fix to your guide anyway :P

1.Get Pacifist

5.Reboot

Glad everything works for you!

I'm going to try to keep the guide pretty specific to just getting the Gigabyte to work, but I'd definitely recommend that you post a guide on how to fix that here in the Genius Bar! I bet a lot of people are frustrated with that and could use the help :)

My hardware as follows"

Gigabyte EP35-DS3L 1.0

4gig 800mhz memory

ASUS EN9600GT 512mb graphics memory

Almost everything works accept for the graphics card. I manage to get the sound by following your tutorial.

I will report back here if something is not working till then happy using my hackintosh

Regards.

Awesome!

Exactly what is not working with your graphics card?

Hey Weaksauce thanks for the awesome guide...

I'm going to follow your guide with a GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit graphics card ($174.99)...

I've got two questions, is the tv out signal working out of the box in your setup?

And do you know if this would be a good card for Final Cut or should I buy something cheaper?

I haven't tried TV output, I'll add that to my To-Do list.

Be sure to research your 512mb 8800GT...512mb cards seem to be having issues still. Check out the Graphics sub-forum here on IM.

That would be a great card for Final Cut Pro...pretty much anything above integrated video is fantastic :(

Does Dot Mac/MobileMe include a Software CD to install? If so, did you install it and then try running Software Update? I'm not familiar with how MobileMe works...is it an app that you install that syncs with Apple servers?

No CD to install...at least for MobileMe. MobileMe replaces Dot Mac so I'm assuming Software Update would automatically replace the old Dot Mac software with the new MobileMe. Yes it syncs with the Apple servers...

Update.....

Crud! I just tried to sync to the Apple servers to backup my files and it will not let me "Register the Computer". Don't know if this is MobileMe glitch or a Hackintosh blocking issue.

I can still upload files via the Finder windows but it looks like I can't Sync my Bookmarks and Address book and the rest. I'll check the Apple boards to see if this is common.