[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

weaksauce12, can i post the pdf download of your guide unto my blog?...of course you will be credited...

Sure, I don't mind!

The next guide update will be fully PDF because I am splitting each of the sections up (Hardware, Leopard, Overclocking, etc.).

Ok, you know what? the bios on my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 wasn't v7 but v6, updated it, rebooted, updated with the Apple software update to 10.5.4, rebooted, installed the NVinstaller v.52 rebooted, everything works :D (apple profiler says 768MB for my eVGA8800GT SSC but it works.. so screw it... )

Ah, now you see the reason I stipulate the specific board revision & BIOS version :( There are just too many differences to say that it "just works" on any other hardware/software/firmware than what I have personally tested it on. Of course, if we wanted "just works", we'd buy real Macs, haha...

weaksauce12,

The 10.5.4 Delta Update that you mentioned is the one with 88MB, right?

Yup sorry, I re-linked and added the 88mb note! The Delta is the smaller update, the Combo is the larger update.

Yes that's the one.

Here's the link page:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1054update.html

Thanks, added that to the section. I'm doing another minor revision of the guide for 10.5.4 now and then focusing on learning dual-booting. The next major guide update will be in PDF format because I am breaking it into 5 sections:

1. Hardware

2. Leopard

3. Overclocking

4. Cloning

5. Dual Booting

PDF will be easier to print, too...pat_ty got a jump on me :(

Just got my parts today and set it all up. Thanks, Weaksauce. I eagerly await your dual boot guide. Has anyone else has success dual booting (Leopard and Vista) with Weaksauce's Leopard Soup recipe?

I'm working on a dual-boot guide next. So far my only gripe is that it seems that the best way to do it is using MBR (I prefer GUID). If anyone else has some experience in this area, please chime in!

near perfect setup working now. but did anyone try diablo2 ? iam not playing that much but this one is a must have and its the only thing thats not working :D (rosetta error already tried the kalyway fix)

I haven't played any games on my Hackintosh...what exactly is the Rosetta error? Is it common to the game on Intel Macs, or specific to Hackintosh? What Kalyway fix are you referring to?

10.5.4 update didn't work for me. But, of course, I have the DS3R board and not the DS3L this guide was written for. Who knows, maybe something's different in the BIOS.

After I followed the instructions and restarted the computer just hung (after posting). My fans were spinning but that was it. So I manually restarted and it got to the desktop but my mouse and keyboard don't work. They're wireless by the way.

So back to square one for me but no big deal because I was planning on doing that anyway. Plus there are some updated files I need to install.

On a brighter note, I got into What.cd today. :(

10.5.4 Vanilla Mini-Update Guide:

This guide will update a 10.5.3 installation (including one with the Sleep kernel) to 10.5.4 Vanilla. Special thanks to Master Stella for all of the great help! :(

4. Open Finder > Developer > Extras > PreferencesPanes and install "Processor.prefPane" (for all users)

"4. Open Finder > Developer > Extras > PreferencesPanes and install "Processor.prefPane" (for all users)"

The above was a little unclear to me as at first I went to the desktop found nothing then went to the top Finder menu...of course no luck.

Maybe something like:

4. Leopard > Developer > Extras > PreferencesPanes and install "Processor.prefPane" (drag and drop) in Leopard > Library > PreferencesPanes folder.

I understand not everyone names the main hard drive Leopard...so not sure the best naming strategy.

OR:

4. Open main hard drive icon > Developer > Extras > PreferencesPanes and install "Processor.prefPane" (drag and drop) in Main Hard Drive > Library > PreferencesPanes folder.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway...

Thanks weaksause your 10.5.4 Vanilla Mini-Update Guide worked fine for my board even though it's not approved! :(

Both Shutdown and Restart works fine too.

Best,

John

The Guide Update is now Official!

10.5.4 + Vanilla "Everything Works" :thumbsup_anim:

Added a detailed cloning guide - give it a shot and let me know if it goes smoothly for you! Rearranged things a little bit and tweaked the guide for 10.5.4. Let me know if you spot any errors or run into any problems!

The above was a little unclear to me as at first I went to the desktop found nothing then went to the top Finder menu...of course no luck.

Thanks for catching that! I updated the mini-guide plus the full guide.

10.5.4 update didn't work for me. But, of course, I have the DS3R board and not the DS3L this guide was written for. Who knows, maybe something's different in the BIOS.

After I followed the instructions and restarted the computer just hung (after posting). My fans were spinning but that was it. So I manually restarted and it got to the desktop but my mouse and keyboard don't work. They're wireless by the way.

So back to square one for me but no big deal because I was planning on doing that anyway. Plus there are some updated files I need to install.

On a brighter note, I got into What.cd today. :)

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for your DS3R board! Stupid little revisions between board models, haha. Again, this is why I wrote a guide for a specific motherboard using a specific BIOS revision - too many inconsistencies otherwise! Next time, try just installing the ACPI kext and seeing if Restart works. If that works, then try CHUD and the PowerOff fix. Even if you have to re-install, maybe we can narrow things down to a specific piece of software. Also, I added a Cloning guide - you can always clone your working installation for backup, or to use as a test installation without ruining your main system should something go wrong!

Thanks for the info weaksauce. Will try your new guide. And yes to all of your questions. I do know that 3 months ago it was working perfectly for 2 weeks then it just started breaking up. Has done that ever since, only with a few hours or minutes before it starts. Have tried different combos of hdd's and installer's

And have tried every combination of audio kexts. But i am starting to think that it is somehow graphics related. With your guide it works fine in itunes. Until i go to a certain web page or open a window. Garageband does ok for awhile until you add more that a couple of tracks. And games like civ 4 have good audio untill my avatar shows up invisible due to some sort of graphical issue.

Is there any link between the kext for the audio? or could it be related to the 4gb issue with this board? I really would like to get the onboard working since I pretty much spent all my cash on this new build.

I am also completely sure that the audio works perfectly in Vista, XP and Ubuntu. If anyone has any other thoughts as to what it could be, please feel free to chime in!

Kalyway 10.5.3

Gigabyte P35 GA-DS3L v2.0 f7 bios

Intel core 2 2750

4GB Gskill DDR2 800

EVGA Gforce 8800GT 512

300GB SATA HDD x2

Sony DVD Rewriter

Hey guys, I had a sudden death in the family and will be away for a week or two. Enjoy the new guide and I will work on the dual-booting stuff when I get back. I'm also going to work on a guide for setting up EFI Strings for further compatibility!

zerotoninety, your video card should say exactly what model it is, not just "Graphics by nVidia". If it's not listed correctly, that may be the problem that is (somehow) interfering with your audio. Otherwise I'd suggest a new sound card, such as the USB Griffin iMic:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Griffin%20T...logy/9066IMIC2/

But it definitely sounds like a software issue since it works under Windows. Focus on getting that video card to work properly - 512mb cards have been known to have issues under Leopard. Check out the Graphics forum here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=151

Here is the guide in PDF format v1.2 update on 20-July-2008.

http://rapidshare.com/files/131263557/GA-P...0_v1.2.pdf.html

Thanks, added to the guide! :)

For those of you who wish to run ATI cards, here are a couple of good guides:

For the ATI x1x00-series Video Cards (x1600, x1800, x1650):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=69345

For the Radeon HD 2x00/38x0-series Video Cards (HD 2400, 2600 Pro/XT, 2900 Pro/XT, 3850, 3870/x2)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=94090

If you are looking for more of a workstation-class card, I'd suggest checking out the Quadro FX 5600 mod. Apple sells this card with 1.5gb VRAM for $2850 (yes, MORE than a new base Mac Pro!). You can do make your own with 768mb VRAM for around $400. I've been running this card since February and it runs like a dream! It is a monster, so be sure you have (1) enough room in the case for it and (2) two PCI-e video card power ports (yes, TWO power jacks for this card! muhahaha).

Here is the 8800GTX to Quadro FX 5600 guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=622940

Made a few minor tweaks to the guide. Biggest one is just selecting the last netkas smbios during 10.5.2 installation instead of all SMBIOS files (Kalyway has a note that says to only select one). We install the Macdotnub smbios later, so it will be overwritten anyway.

Hi everyone. I just went through the guide, and am at the part after installation when it asks you to restart. But after the computer restarts, it shows the Apple logo and a process wheel, but then shows a weird gray screen, looks like frozen TV snow. Any ideas why this could be happening?

Hi everyone. I just went through the guide, and am at the part after installation when it asks you to restart. But after the computer restarts, it shows the Apple logo and a process wheel, but then shows a weird gray screen, looks like frozen TV snow. Any ideas why this could be happening?

You should have a dark gray screen for a few moments before it starts the Leopard intro video. A few questions:

1. Do you have the Rev 2.0 board with the F7 BIOS?

2. Did you setup BIOS exactly the same way I did?

3. Were you sure to do exactly the same Customize options on Kalyway that I did?

4. What video card do you have?

I have the EP35-DS3L, supposedly the same board, just updated for more efficient energy usage and BIOS only goes up to F5.

I followed the guide's exact BIOS and installation settings. I have an ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro XT. Tried installation twice, still no luck. Think it might be the graphics card? If I need to have internet plugged in, should I enable on-board LAN in bios settings?

Made a few minor tweaks to the guide. Biggest one is just selecting the last netkas smbios during 10.5.2 installation instead of all SMBIOS files (Kalyway has a note that says to only select one). We install the Macdotnub smbios later, so it will be overwritten anyway.

weaksauce12,

Could you please confirm to me about your change? In your guide, you change in section "2. Install Leopard ala Kalyway 10.5.2:" part "b. Customize options: (before installing)."

Am I correct?

I just want to make sure I didn't miss any thing before I update the PDF guide.

weaksauce12,

Could you please confirm to me about your change? In your guide, you change in section "2. Install Leopard ala Kalyway 10.5.2:" part "b. Customize options: (before installing)."

Am I correct?

I just want to make sure I didn't miss any thing before I update the PDF guide.

Yeah there's some other small changes, just do a PDF copy of the whole guide - it's easier ;)

I have the EP35-DS3L, supposedly the same board, just updated for more efficient energy usage and BIOS only goes up to F5.

I followed the guide's exact BIOS and installation settings. I have an ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro XT. Tried installation twice, still no luck. Think it might be the graphics card? If I need to have internet plugged in, should I enable on-board LAN in bios settings?

You might want to try installing a graphics driver during the Leopard installation. There's an option for "white_menus_fixe_HD2600_pro" among others.

Also, do you have a PCI Network Card? If so, was it installed before installing Leopard? (it should have been)

I fixed the snow screen problem! For all those who run into the same thing...

Problem(s): After installing Leopard and rebooting, the Apple logo showed, then took me to a black/white snowy screen.

My Vid Card is an ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro XT 512MB GDDR3 (PCIe).

Fix: Reinstall and in Customizing, check drivers under the "Graphics_Drivers tab" that match your card. I checked "NATIT_For_X2000_X3000_Series" and "white_menus_fixe_HD2600_pro."

Sweetness.

I fixed the snow screen problem! For all those who run into the same thing...

Problem(s): After installing Leopard and rebooting, the Apple logo showed, then took me to a black/white snowy screen.

My Vid Card is an ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro XT 512MB GDDR3 (PCIe).

Fix: Reinstall and in Customizing, check drivers under the "Graphics_Drivers tab" that match your card. I checked "NATIT_For_X2000_X3000_Series" and "white_menus_fixe_HD2600_pro."

Sweetness.

Awesome!

I updated the guide to fix a problems some people were running into - Leopard requires that there be some kind of networking device installed prior to installing Kalyway 10.5.2. Otherwise it will loop after the welcome video. This means you either need Onboard Ethernet enabled or a PCI Network Card installed on the board with Onboard Ethernet disabled via BIOS. I'm not sure if this applies to Wifi cards that are detected natively under Leopard or not, I'll give that a try in the future.

Another minor guide tweak...one of my boards had the problem where it wouldn't recognize USB thumb drives on the desktop (only in Disk Utility for some reason); installing "USBPCGen" from the Patches section in the Kalyway 10.5.2 Leopard DVD fixed this problem.

Awesome!

I updated the guide to fix a problems some people were running into - Leopard requires that there be some kind of networking device installed prior to installing Kalyway 10.5.2. Otherwise it will loop after the welcome video. This means you either need Onboard Ethernet enabled or a PCI Network Card installed on the board with Onboard Ethernet disabled via BIOS. I'm not sure if this applies to Wifi cards that are detected natively under Leopard or not, I'll give that a try in the future.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 with my onboard Ethernet disabled in the BIOS but with a Wifi PCI card plugged in. Worked great. Hope this helps.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 with my onboard Ethernet disabled in the BIOS but with a Wifi PCI card plugged in. Worked great. Hope this helps.

Perfect, thanks for letting me know! Was your Wifi card natively detected by Leopard? My Encore 802.11n card is detected as an Ethernet port (you have to use a separate Wifi utility), so I'd imagine it'd work either way.

Perfect, thanks for letting me know! Was your Wifi card natively detected by Leopard? My Encore 802.11n card is detected as an Ethernet port (you have to use a separate Wifi utility), so I'd imagine it'd work either way.

Yes, it was native - when I installed Kalyway there wasn't anything special with regards to Wifi that was any different than when I installed Leopard on my MacBook. No special utilities or anything, and it behaves just like the wireless on the MacBook (except it's G not N).

Card is a Linksys WMP54GS 802.11g card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...amp;Tpk=wmp54gs