[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

Monitoring the CPU temp doesn't work for me, I only get the HD temp. DS3L rev 2, BIOS F7. Using the SMBIOS file from your package.

Other than that everything's working beautifully (I'm especially happy about the excellent gfx EFI string installer I found). Tonight I'll install the new passive cooler and then I'm all set. I need XP for some audio work but didn't bother with dual booting (found out that you can't have large partitions with MBR, plus it seemed to be too much hassle), so I'll install that on my second SATA drive.

Weaksauce12,

I am having random shutdown issue. Please look at the attached image.

dsc00030jy1.th.jpg

Any ideas what could be wrong and how to resolve it?

thanks.

There are two troubling messages there. The first is a warning about your ethernet adapter, but it doesn't look like it's causing the panic. Seems to be related to IPv6. Unless you're actually running IPv6 on your network (the "normal" IP most people run is v4), perhaps you can disable it.

The second looks to be related to AppleHDAController, which is related to sound.

This person had a similar issue, but no one has responded to his post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115803

Looks like you're running an EP35-DS3L. Is the sound chip the same as on the P35-DS3L?

There are two troubling messages there. The first is a warning about your ethernet adapter, but it doesn't look like it's causing the panic. Seems to be related to IPv6. Unless you're actually running IPv6 on your network (the "normal" IP most people run is v4), perhaps you can disable it.

The second looks to be related to AppleHDAController, which is related to sound.

Looks like you're running an EP35-DS3L. Is the sound chip the same as on the P35-DS3L?

Yup im using EP35-DS3L, i think the sound chip should be the same. I am quite sure this must be related with the sound driver issue. I always turn off the IPV6 as now there is no use for it.

Any solutions please advice.

Thanks

the onboard ethernet is working conrrectly with this board? im planning on buying one. Also , my geforce 8600gt is supporte? which video driver installer i need to use? nvinstaller?

thanx

I'm using 8600GT with 256MB. I installed the driver by using NVinstaller .52, that comes with weaksauce12's package. Make sure you select vanilla ... if your card has 256MB. QE/CI and other things work.

You said "xxx" is the login name; do you mean the name to actually log into the computer to get to the desktop after booting up? The name should have been set right after installing Leopard - it asks you for a username, a password, and a password reminder after the Leopard Welcome Video.

Can you post a screenshot?

Here is the screenshot (from MacNutty's post).

On OSX, my machine shows "pats-mac-pro". Log in name is "Pat"

computernamedn6.gif

On XP

computernamemq6.gif

I want to change to another name because I have dual boot with XP. I want to change it to match the computer name on my XP, so my router will see the same computer name. At this time, the router see my computer as "xxxx-mac-pro"

I think we can change the value, but I don't know which file contain that value.

Monitoring the CPU temp doesn't work for me, I only get the HD temp. DS3L rev 2, BIOS F7. Using the SMBIOS file from your package.

Other than that everything's working beautifully (I'm especially happy about the excellent gfx EFI string installer I found). Tonight I'll install the new passive cooler and then I'm all set. I need XP for some audio work but didn't bother with dual booting (found out that you can't have large partitions with MBR, plus it seemed to be too much hassle), so I'll install that on my second SATA drive.

Weird, you have a Quad core right? My Q6600 shows temps from all 4 CPUs.

Yeah, EFI Strings are in the next update. I'm actually working to get the next update finished because I'm working on a Video Screencast to walk you through software installation. I think that combined with a simpler, printable checklist and a more detailed, step-by-step photo guide should help iron out a lot of installation problems that people are having.

Yes, IMO the dual-drive dual-booting method is the best way to go - zero hassles, plus it's easy to setup ParagonNTFS/MacFUSE plus MacDrive to read each drive on each OS.

Which cooler did you go with?

Weaksauce12,

I am having random shutdown issue. Please look at the attached image.

dsc00030jy1.th.jpg

Any ideas what could be wrong and how to resolve it?

thanks.

Have you made any changes lately? Anything before it started crashing?

Have you run a 6-pass memory test?

Are you running VMware?

Also, I have IPv6 on Auto and I haven't had any problems (P35-DS3L board).

Yeah, they both have the Realtek ALC888 sound chip.

Yup im using EP35-DS3L, i think the sound chip should be the same. I am quite sure this must be related with the sound driver issue. I always turn off the IPV6 as now there is no use for it.

Thanks

Did you install the Audio Fix?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=839246

Weaksauce- thats what i built it with

Board - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L rev.2.0

CPU - Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz

Gpu - 8800 Ultra 768mb

Ram - 8 gb ddr2-800 mushkin

2 500gb sata seagate HD

DVD - Plextor sata dvd burner

gigabit pci adapter

Gigabyte 550w power supply

mac keyboard/logitech mx laser 1000

case -Lian Li V Silent Series PC-V1010A-Silver

Here is the screenshot (from MacNutty's post).

On OSX, my machine shows "pats-mac-pro". Log in name is "Pat"

On XP

I want to change to another name because I have dual boot with XP. I want to change it to match the computer name on my XP, so my router will see the same computer name. At this time, the router see my computer as "xxxx-mac-pro"

I think we can change the value, but I don't know which file contain that value.

Oh, you want to change the system name. Open System Preferences, click on Sharing, and then change the Computer Name to whatever you want!

Weaksauce,

I have the Q6700 using Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Cooler.

Here's a couple of reviews:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showd...?i=3005&p=4

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/d...ex_7.html#sect0

Running Prime temps are average about mid 40 degrees and spike at mid 50's. Idle is low to mid 30's.

Weaksauce,

I have the Q6700 using Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Cooler.

Here's a couple of reviews:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showd...?i=3005&p=4

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/d...ex_7.html#sect0

Running Prime temps are average about mid 40 degrees and spike at mid 50's. Idle is low to mid 30's.

Idle is mid-30's! I gotta get me one of those! :D

Weird, you have a Quad core right? My Q6600 shows temps from all 4 CPUs.

I have the Q9450. I tried iStat on a friend's DS4 with an E6600 or something and it worked. I'll boot into Windows and do some temp testing there.

Yeah, EFI Strings are in the next update. I'm actually working to get the next update finished because I'm working on a Video Screencast to walk you through software installation. I think that combined with a simpler, printable checklist and a more detailed, step-by-step photo guide should help iron out a lot of installation problems that people are having.

Wow, you must be the hardest working man in OSx86 business. :rolleyes:

The Thermaltake Sonic Tower. Looks very impressive and it's pretty cheap as well. I'll report back when I've checked the temps.

hi, weeksauce i have been following your guide for a long time and finally yesterday i got my system all up, i even let the memoytester all night long as you said and i have the exact same mobo configuration that is on your guide, butwhen i try to boot the dvd it keeps telling me this message system config file `com.apple.boot.plist` not found, (my dvd drive and my hdd are both sata, any thing i may be missing, or what should i look for its my first build in my life, tanks. :rolleyes:

I used your guide to get to 10.5.4 on my Asus F3JP and it worked very well although my mouse AND keyboard stopped working after upgrading to 10.5.4. I simply used "Keyboard___Trackpad.rar" (search for it, its in this forum!) and that got them working again :rolleyes:

Now I only have a few issues:

>Graphics card is not installed properly I believe because my settings say I cant increase to resolutions higher than 1024x768 although i have a wide screen laptop.

>Sound does not work

>iWork 2008 simply does not work when installed, when i hit an icon, it bounces for a sec, changes the main menu but none of the commands or anything work and i have to quit the application. (I've tried the font fix)

>Wireless LAN does not work yet (Intel 3945) I've found a website whichs supposedly has these drivers but am scared to install it because everyone on the site who's tried to install it has said it stuffed up their leo install.

Question: does anyone know how to backup a Leo partition (HFS) onto a external drive (for free) without using time machine (damn thing demands a format!) ???

Much appriciate any help :lol:

While I'm pretty impressed that you got Weaksauces' guide to work on entirely different hardware - did you notice it was FOR entirely different hardware?

The guide is for a Gigabyte DS3-L desktop motherboard, and you're using it on an Asus F3JP laptop... the two are not quite the same.

Iwork does not work because you're not running quartz extreme and core image, required or it will just bounce and die.

You need to get your video drivers sorted out then you should be ok.

-One

I used your guide to get to 10.5.4 on my Asus F3JP and it worked very well although my mouse AND keyboard stopped working after upgrading to 10.5.4. I simply used "Keyboard___Trackpad.rar" (search for it, its in this forum!) and that got them working again :D

Now I only have a few issues:

>Graphics card is not installed properly I believe because my settings say I cant increase to resolutions higher than 1024x768 although i have a wide screen laptop.

>Sound does not work

>iWork 2008 simply does not work when installed, when i hit an icon, it bounces for a sec, changes the main menu but none of the commands or anything work and i have to quit the application. (I've tried the font fix)

>Wireless LAN does not work yet (Intel 3945) I've found a website whichs supposedly has these drivers but am scared to install it because everyone on the site who's tried to install it has said it stuffed up their leo install.

Question: does anyone know how to backup a Leo partition (HFS) onto a external drive (for free) without using time machine (damn thing demands a format!) ???

Much appriciate any help :D

A little bit of trouble, but what a great guide!

Everything worked right until I installed 10.5.4. I did the install, and then followed the guide to step 6 b (installed additional kext, sound and video). I rebooted. OSX hangs at the apple logo, and eventually puts a little black and white "do not" sign on the screen.

So, I rebooted and ran diagnostics mode "-v".

The start up hangs on the following yellow text:

failed to load extension com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI

(there is more after this)

I followed the guide to a tee, so I'm a little bit confused. So many others seem to be having no problems.

I purchased a netgear NIC Fa311 (on HCL and listed as working out of box...it was)

a BFG Geforce 8800gt OC 512mb (installed driver per the guide, chose 512mb)

Everything else is pretty much exactly like the guide. Sata HD and DVD. Rev2 board. F7

bios.

The most help I've been able to find on the forums is this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ind...hp/t111754.html

It's not much help.

Hopefully somebody paying attention to this forum has an answer..fingers crossed!

Soooo Close...

Thanks again Weaksauce! :D

Hey folks,. I finally got my FCS2 to capture from my Canon HV20.... after 2 different firewire cards/ports. I, at first had a PCI-express firewire card tht was too fast for the camera to catch causing it to capture only momentarily to then stall and then abort. Ordered another card from Newegg which was a total loser by the compant listing that it works with Mac OS X... it didn't! So I researched some more and finally got the right one..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815124003

It works well with OS X and im now able to use Final Cut Studio and IMovie, which I probably wont use much due to loving FCS. So, thats my lil review of firewire ports and FCS on the Hacky.

hi guys,

first of all, weaksauce - thank you for this great guide, i can only guess the efforts you are putting in it.

i am getting my own DS3L based new computer next week, and i think this is the guide for me. :huh:

i have a few questions though (and sorry for being such a noob):

1) does your method includes installing PC EFI? (the firmware emulator that causes osx to think it's running on a native mac). i didn't see you mention it, but in your signature you wrote that you run with EFiv8 + GUID (btw, what is GUID?)

2) currently i want to install leopard as a single OS. if i'll want to install XP on dual boot later on, will it be possible?

hi, weeksauce i have been following your guide for a long time and finally yesterday i got my system all up, i even let the memoytester all night long as you said and i have the exact same mobo configuration that is on your guide, butwhen i try to boot the dvd it keeps telling me this message system config file `com.apple.boot.plist` not found, (my dvd drive and my hdd are both sata, any thing i may be missing, or what should i look for its my first build in my life, tanks. :huh:

Did you burn Kalyway 10.5.2 as an ISO or as a file?

Question: does anyone know how to backup a Leo partition (HFS) onto a external drive (for free) without using time machine (demands a format!) ???

SuperDuper. It's included in the tutorial package. You'll also need Chameleon EFI to make it bootable, also available in the package. There is a Cloning section of my tutorial on the first page of this thread. You can also choose to backup to a file if you'd rather not clone to a drive or partition.

Everything worked right until I installed 10.5.4. I did the install, and then followed the guide to step 6 b (installed additional kext, sound and video). I rebooted. OSX hangs at the apple logo, and eventually puts a little black and white "do not" sign on the screen.

So it works perfectly after the 10.5.4 update, along with CHUD/PowerOff and whatnot? But when you install the Kexts, that's when it screws up? BIOS settings all the same? You checked the USB Fix when installing Leopard initially?

Also, did you install the PS/2 fix listed later in the thread? (hasn't been officially added)

What processor are you using?

Iwork does not work because you're not running quartz extreme and core image, required or it will just bounce and die.

You need to get your video drivers sorted out then you should be ok.

Also, make sure you have the latest iLife/iWork updates from Apple. iirc iMovie and stuff won't run without them.

Hey folks,. I finally got my FCS2 to capture from my Canon HV20.... after 2 different firewire cards/ports. I, at first had a PCI-express firewire card tht was too fast for the camera to catch causing it to capture only momentarily to then stall and then abort. Ordered another card from Newegg which was a total loser by the compant listing that it works with Mac OS X... it didn't! So I researched some more and finally got the right one..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815124003

It works well with OS X and im now able to use Final Cut Studio and IMovie, which I probably wont use much due to loving FCS. So, thats my lil review of firewire ports and FCS on the Hacky.

Excellent, glad to hear you found a working card, thanks for sharing!

If any of you are getting into HD editing, definitely consider a Canon HV20 (well, HV30 now). It's utterly fantastic. Combined with FCS2 or even iMovie, it's a dream come true. Definitely the best consumer camera I've ever worked with...just wish I could afford a second one haha! Too bad my Hackintosh is suckin' my wallet dry :D

hi guys,

first of all, weaksauce - thank you for this great guide, i can only guess the efforts you are putting in it.

i am getting my own DS3L based new computer next week, and i think this is the guide for me. :)

i have a few questions though (and sorry for being such a noob):

1) does your method includes installing PC EFI? (the firmware emulator that causes osx to think it's running on a native mac). i didn't see you mention it, but in your signature you wrote that you run with EFiv8 + GUID (btw, what is GUID?)

2) currently i want to install leopard as a single OS. if i'll want to install XP on dual boot later on, will it be possible?

PC EFI, version 8, is automatically included when you install Leopard from the Kalyway 10.5.2. It works great! For funsies, you can install Chameleon, which is included in the Cloning folder of the tutorial package. This is the EFI I use when creating a bootable USB stick or bootable clone; it's just easier to install than PC EFI v8 because it has a GUI. Although you could use something like OSx86 Utility Tool from pcwiz to easily install PC EFI v8. But again, it's installed automatically! :)

GUID is the partitioning scheme used for this tutorial. There are two basic types: MBR and GUID. MBR is compatible with XP, so if you're going to use XP you'll want to use MBR. GUID offers the advantage of being able to resize partitions on the fly - INCLUDING the boot partition! So if you want to re-partition your boot drive, GUID is your man. GUID is not compatible with XP on a Hackintosh unless you put XP on a separate hard drive. It is, however, compatible with Vista on the same drive. As far as your dual-booting question, take a look at the sub-forum here at IM:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=104

Thanks

For the record, my EP35's audio and stability seem to be solid from this guide's installation. Admittedly, I have only worked a couple of hours on the machine as it is not my main computer. Is there any additional software you may have installed that could cause conflicts?

I followed the guide to a tee, so I'm a little bit confused. So many others seem to be having no problems.

I purchased a netgear NIC Fa311 (on HCL and listed as working out of box...it was)

a BFG Geforce 8800gt OC 512mb (installed driver per the guide, chose 512mb)

Everything else is pretty much exactly like the guide. Sata HD and DVD. Rev2 board. F7

bios.

The most help I've been able to find on the forums is this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ind...hp/t111754.html

It's not much help.

Hopefully somebody paying attention to this forum has an answer..fingers crossed!

Soooo Close...

Thanks again Weaksauce! B)

Hey Taco. I had the same problem as you but what helped me fix my problem was not installing the blue tooth kexts in the package. Don't dump all

5 kexts but instead, dump only AppleAHCIport, AppleSMBIOS, and IOAHCIFamily. Leave the two bluetooth kexts out. Also as a side note, I dumped them one at a time with a reboot after each one but not sure if that helps at all. Hope this helps

Hey Taco. I had the same problem as you but what helped me fix my problem was not installing the blue tooth kexts in the package. Don't dump all

5 kexts but instead, dump only AppleAHCIport, AppleSMBIOS, and IOAHCIFamily. Leave the two bluetooth kexts out. Also as a side note, I dumped them one at a time with a reboot after each one but not sure if that helps at all. Hope this helps

Really? All of my machines take all 5 kexts just fine, at the same time, including Bluetooth.

So NOT installing both Bluetooth kexts = no USB error for you?

Alrighty,

Thanks for the responses!

to answer some of Weaksauce's questions

I am running a Q6600, haven't attempted to overclock yet.

I did install all the fixes exactly like the guide said to do. I'm basically new to all of this so I'm following your guide very literally.

To be quite honest, here's what I did. I installed the 10.5.4 update (so I was on 10.5.3 with no problems), loaded up Easy Kext, installed all five of them, installed the sound (which worked even without a reset), installed the video from the Weaksauce package (geforce 8800gt 512), THEN I hit the reboot on the 10.5.4 update. So, I rebooted ONE time...applying all of the changes from Step 4 to Step 6-b in the guide. That was how I interpreted the guide, so I went for it.

What I'll do now is reinstall all over again, and do each part from Step 4 to Step 6-b with several small updates followed by reboots...including installing each kext one at a time.

I'll report back and let everyone know what happens.

Maybe I can single out the bluetooth kexts as well...or maybe just confuse everyone!

Regardless, this has been an excellent guide so far. Thank you for writing it Weaksauce, and thanks for all the additonal advice everyone.

To be quite honest, here's what I did. I installed the 10.5.4 update (so I was on 10.5.3 with no problems), loaded up Easy Kext, installed all five of them, installed the sound (which worked even without a reset), installed the video from the Weaksauce package (geforce 8800gt 512), THEN I hit the reboot on the 10.5.4 update. So, I rebooted ONE time...applying all of the changes from Step 4 to Step 6-b in the guide. That was how I interpreted the guide, so I went for it.

Ahah. You skipped Step 4, Sub-Step 6:

6. Click the Restart button on the 10.5.4 Delta Update window (the first reboot will take longer than usual)

Gotta follow the guide to the letter! There's a reason for the order of the steps :)

Redo your installation from scratch. Print out the guide and check off each step as you complete it. Don't skip any of the steps!

I got internal wireless working using an Encore ENLWI-N PCI card. It's an 802.11b/g/n card and only costs $35 at Newegg:

I purchased this and it can't see my Dlink Wireless Gaming Router (DGL-4300) :) Sad Panda!

Does anyone know of a wifi card that works using Apple's built in Airport software? The Encore control panel is pretty craptastic ..

I purchased this and it can't see my Dlink Wireless Gaming Router (DGL-4300) :) Sad Panda!

Does anyone know of a wifi card that works using Apple's built in Airport software? The Encore control panel is pretty craptastic ..

Based on posts here in the forums, I picked up an Asus WL-138g v2 PCI 802.11g wifi card. I haven't yet installed it into my P35-DS3L build, but I did use it briefly when testing out a Foxconn board I had lying around. It was recognized in Leopard immediately as a native Airport card. I didn't use it for long, so I can't comment on stability/speed. Here's the newegg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...amp;Tpk=wl-138g. It's not much cheaper than that Encore N card, but it does work natively. I ordered an EP35-DS3L board and plan on using the Asus card with that board. I can report back on how well it works. It should be fine though because it's on the HCL.

By the way, anyone looking for a nice memory upgrade should consider this 4Gb OCZ set:

http://microcenter.com/single_product_resu...duct_id=0259027

$60-$30 rebate + tax if applicable + shipping ($6 to NY, for example)

Specs:

Number of Modules 2

Memory Capacity 4GB

Memory Speed DDR2-800 (PC-6400)

Supply Voltage 1.8 Volts - 2.0 Volts

Latency Advanced Latency Settings (5-6-6-15)

Buffered/Unbuffered Unbuffered

Error Correction Code Non-ECC

Memory Slot Required (2) 240-pin DIMM Memory Slots

Memory Heatsink Copper Mirrored XTC Heatspreader

Manufacturer Warranty Lifetime Limited Warranty