[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

Thanks for the great guide. I got my install working pretty well so far it seems.

I did have to go through several tries though. The first problem was the PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse issue. pcwiz's auto-installer fix wasn't posted when I was trying to figure out a fix so I had some difficulty there.

When that issue was fixed, I installed the kexts and audio/video drivers in steps 5 and 6, and rebooted the system. Everything was very laggy and onboard ethernet didn't work despite having installed the kext.

So I re-installed once more, but this time, I skipped step 5 entirely. The weird thing is, is that everything seems to be working just fine. I didn't even install the ethernet kext and it still works. Both my HD's are SATA and I don't seem to have any problems there. I don't have bluetooth devices so I haven't tried those.

but everything seems to be okay now. thanks for the guide :wallbash:

You're welcome! Glad things are working smoothly for you :wallbash:

I will test that issue on a fresh install when I get home. As far as the Ethernet, it will work by default with no drivers installed, but it will either not wake from sleep without a manual DHCP reset or not see AFP/Bonjour shares (can't remember which the default driver does).

if i have darwin version 9.2.0, i'm guessing i don't have vanilla? i haven't done the upgrade to 10.5.4 yet. my machine is running too flawlessly to really warrant it. Not sure if that makes a different or not but i followed the guide to the T.

One thing though, i'm still having problems with the sound as it's still showing up as "no audio".

Yes, Darwin is Vanilla, you just have the 10.5.2 kernel.

"No Audio" in System Preferences is normal. This is how it should be.

Thanks weaksauce12 for the work. You are the MAN :wallbash:

First of all let me tell you that I kinda folowed your guide (I didn't started from a clean install of 1.5.2) and at the end I was left without PS2 mouse and keyboard. Pluged some USB mouse and keyboard and it worked so I started messing with various ktex installs to fix this. This happend at 6am this morning and after this I had to go to work. I was reading the thread (the whole 12 pages) and I found no mention of the PS2 issue so I thought maybe because I have not started from a clean install. I was planing to to that tonight.

Happy to hear that I don't have to do everyting again from the start.

Thanks again for the work!

PS: I'm runing revision 8 of the Board.

You're welcome and I'm happy to hear things are working well for you! :)

Which version of the F8 BIOS are you running? There are a couple different versions. Curious to see if there are any differences...

Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing has worked.
  • I am using the latest version of the guide. I did install the fix during installation.
  • Tried repairing permissions. Nada.
  • I tried shutting down, unplugging, restarting, then plugging back into a different port. Nada.
  • I looked at the /library/preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist file on my new hack, noted that my old hack had one entry of 1056-1741-0 that was not in the new one, so I added that to the new hack rebooted. Nada.
  • Tried reinstalling the Microsoft-Mouse-X-d203.dmg again. Nada.

Interestingly, I actually had my old hack HD intact. I booted up with the old HD back in, and voila! My volume keys were working just fine. It's not a hardware issue at all. If anyone has any more ideas, thanks. I'll try posting in the hardware forum also.

EDIT: OK, just thought I'd post some more interesting findings: I thought I'd work around the problem by using a Logitech set that I had (OK, so I stole my wife's S510). I installed the Logitech Control Center for OSX, rebooted and voila! Mouse recognized. KEYBOARD NOT RECOGNIZED. I can configure all the mouse behaviors I want, but not the keyboard. Now, I can't say for sure that this keyboard is compatible with the Logitech Control Center software since they don't have a compatibility listing on their site. However, it seems more than coincidental that two keyboards are not being recognized. Also noted that /library/preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist was not updated for a new keyboard. OK, must go to sleep now.

This has to be the oddest issue I've run into yet...have you had any luck since posting this? I have a variety of input equipment on my Hackintoshes, all of which work well - a Logitech MX1000 mouse, a Logitech VX Revolution mouse, a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard, a white Apple Bluetooth keyboard, a silver Apple Bluetooth keyboard, and a wireless Logitech PS3 keyboard/trackpad combo. All work flawlessly, no issues. This is very strange...

Thanks for the guide. Very simple, easy to follow, and straight forward. I have a fast hackintosh now. Everything works perfectly. I have the exact same mobo, but with a few hardware and bios differences. I had to get away from the slow and heavy hammer of Windows Sh :D tsta.

No problem! I'm glad your machine is running well!

What hardware and BIOS differences do you have?

This has to be the oddest issue I've run into yet...have you had any luck since posting this? I have a variety of input equipment on my Hackintoshes, all of which work well - a Logitech MX1000 mouse, a Logitech VX Revolution mouse, a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard, a white Apple Bluetooth keyboard, a silver Apple Bluetooth keyboard, and a wireless Logitech PS3 keyboard/trackpad combo. All work flawlessly, no issues. This is very strange...
I'm totally confused too, but it is a "hack" after all. :D I've gotten no responses, but I figured it would one of those rare things that noone had ever seen! I think I'm going to reinstall tonight anyway. I'm running off an IDE drive, and I'm going to move everything to SATA. I am going to start off the install running off PS/2, then moving to the USB set.

Hi weaksauce12,

I installed a second time, this time following your guide to the letter and it works perfectly. Not sure about the version of the F8 bios, I went in WinXP and used the motherboard live bios update tool to download it. I see that the overclock option in bios is now the first option in the list, on the website they only mention some cpu support fix for this version. I'm not using AHCI so just wanted to report that it works without issues. I'm using onboard lan and I had some issue after sleep - lost the address. So I've set a manual address with dhcp and I also set the ethernet speed in config manually. Working so far with sleep ... I didn't tested bonjour as I don't know how :turbin: (first time on mac os). I use PS2 keyboard and mouse with pcwiz update. (I like to double click to start the computer ... solid desk, no wobling and the case is hidden underneath)

Thanks again,

Pavel

No problem! I'm glad your machine is running well!

What hardware and BIOS differences do you have?

Bios version is either F5 or F6

Integrated Peripherals:

a. Set "SATA AHCI Mode" to "Disabled"

b. Set "SATA Port0-1 Native Mode" to "Disabled"

c. Set "USB Controller" to "Enabled"

d. Set "USB 2.0 Controller" to "Enabled"

e. Set "USB Keyboard Suport" to "Enabled"

f. Set "USB Mouse Support" to "Enabled"

g. Set "Legacy USB storage detect" to "Enabled"

h. Set "Azalia Codec" to "Auto"

i. Set "Onboard H/W LAN" to "Enabled" (unless you plan on just living with the onboard Ethernet quirks)

j. Set "Onboard IDE Controller" to "Disabled" (unless you plan on using the IDE ports)

k. Set "Onboard Serial Port 1" to "Disabled"

l. Set "Onboard Parallel Port" to Disabled"

Those are the only different bios changes I have.

Hardware differences are GeForce 8600GT 256MB PCI-X, Linkskey Card reader, C2D E6600 @ 2.4Ghz, 3GB G.Skill DDR2 800, 160GB Seagate SATA HDD

Vista made this machine so slow. Always been a fan of the macos but cant afford real mac prices. I am happy now/ :turbin:

The saga continues. So I decided to do a complete reinstall. This time I installed OSX using a PS/2 connected Logitech S510. I then installed the Microsoft mouse/keyboard software. I then swap the PS/2 set for the USB set as it's rebooting. Immediately I get....the keyboard identification wizard thingee. Head...meet brick wall ! :P Microsoft keyboard: not detected. Microsoft mouse: works great. ARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

EDIT: I thought it couldn't get any worse. So get this: the buttons I really want to work are the volume buttons. So I connect my MSFT wireless desktop 4000, which allows me to connect the mouse via USB and the keyboard via PS/2. That's the only way the keyboard volume buttons will work. They won't work if I only connect via the USB plug. So it was working....up until the Apple 10.5.4 update. Then the PS/2 connected keyboard stopped working totally. It seems nothing connected via PS/2 works after the 10.5.4 update. Just shoot me.

UPDATE: The issue is not solved, but I've come to a point where I have the functionality want. Let me explain, and I'll try to make this brief. To summarize so far, I've not been able to use my Msft Wireless Desktop 1000 set on my new hack. It worked great on my old hack, but using weaksauce12's guide, it has not worked. So I've reinstalled multiple times. I've figured out that the culprit in this whole thing is some strange interaction between the Microsoft-Mouse-X-d203.dmg drivers and the hackintosh. The final time I reinstalled, I found that the volume buttons on my keyboard worked....that is until I installed the Msft drivers! I was going to cry and bash my head against the wall. Luckily I was able to find an Intellipoint Uninstaller via Spotlight and uninstalled the drivers. Now, my volume buttons work without any drivers. This is totally not what I would've expected, but in the end as long as those buttons work, I'm happy.

weaksauce12,

Your guide is one of the most detailed and informative ones. I read the whole guide before I decided to buy a GA-EP35-DS3L for my second machine.

However, I installed Leopard using the retail 10.5.0 DVD image, and then upgraded directly to 10.5.4. karaakeha1 has put together a detailed guide here for GA-P35-DS4, which works for GA-EP35-DS3L, so I assume it will work for GA-P35-DS3L as well.

This is what I did. Hope it is useful for those interested in installing retail Leopard.

weaksauce12,

Your guide is one of the most detailed and informative ones. I read the whole guide before I decided to buy a GA-EP35-DS3L for my second machine.

However, I installed Leopard using the retail 10.5.0 DVD image, and then upgraded directly to 10.5.4. karaakeha1 has put together a detailed guide here for GA-P35-DS4, which works for GA-EP35-DS3L, so I assume it will work for GA-P35-DS3L as well.

This is what I did. Hope it is useful for those interested in installing retail Leopard.

I did something similar to this using some of the info from karaakeha1's guide and using Pacifist to extract the two kexts from ~pcwiz's package so that I could install it to the "retail Leopard" before rebooting.

1. I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on one HD.

2. Booted into it and then installed Chameleon EFI on the other [target] HD.

3. Installed retail leopard from a disk image.

4. Updated it with the 10.5.4 combo update.

5. Used a slightly modified script from karaakeha1 and LTL's guides to install the kexts (including the ones from ~pcwiz's package).

6. Rebooted into the retail leopard.

7. Installed graphics using NVInstaller and the audio patch from weaksauce's package.

Haven't played around with it much yet cause it took some time for me to work out what kexts I was going to mix and match but I have put it to sleep and restarted and it's working fine (and I didn't install the CHUD package).

Thanks again weaksauce.

i'm having so much trouble with my evga 8400gs 256 meg, i can get it to output to DVI but i can't get QE to work.

Use my 8400 GS 256 MG tutorial here.

Basically download the first attached NVinject.kext.zip file (9.36K) and install using Kext Helper

Then restart!

If that file doesn't work download the second NVinject.kext.zip file (9.35K) and install as above.

Hope it helps!

Is it wise to use system management programs like Onyx?

I am using that program so far no issue. And my hackintosh runs fine.

Ok i do have one question in my mind, do we need to install the leopard graphics update or we don't need that, perhaps 10.5.4 takes care of it?

Regards

Hi weaksauce12,

I installed a second time, this time following your guide to the letter and it works perfectly. Not sure about the version of the F8 bios, I went in WinXP and used the motherboard live bios update tool to download it. I see that the overclock option in bios is now the first option in the list, on the website they only mention some cpu support fix for this version. I'm not using AHCI so just wanted to report that it works without issues. I'm using onboard lan and I had some issue after sleep - lost the address. So I've set a manual address with dhcp and I also set the ethernet speed in config manually. Working so far with sleep ... I didn't tested bonjour as I don't know how :blink: (first time on mac os). I use PS2 keyboard and mouse with pcwiz update. (I like to double click to start the computer ... solid desk, no wobling and the case is hidden underneath)

Thanks again,

Pavel

Without AHCI enabled, waking from sleep on my machine goes slooooooow. Is that the case on yours too?

Does the machine wake up with a double-click of the PS/2 mouse?

Yes, the Ethernet driver stinks. In the next update, I am labelling onboard Ethernet as "experimental" because people are having mixed results with it. You're better off just buying that $8 Encore card and solving the problem forever that way.

Vista made this machine so slow. Always been a fan of the macos but cant afford real mac prices. I am happy now/ :)

Glad to hear you're sailing smoothly! What do you use your Mac for?

UPDATE: The issue is not solved, but I've come to a point where I have the functionality want. Let me explain, and I'll try to make this brief. To summarize so far, I've not been able to use my Msft Wireless Desktop 1000 set on my new hack. It worked great on my old hack, but using weaksauce12's guide, it has not worked. So I've reinstalled multiple times. I've figured out that the culprit in this whole thing is some strange interaction between the Microsoft-Mouse-X-d203.dmg drivers and the hackintosh. The final time I reinstalled, I found that the volume buttons on my keyboard worked....that is until I installed the Msft drivers! I was going to cry and bash my head against the wall. Luckily I was able to find an Intellipoint Uninstaller via Spotlight and uninstalled the drivers. Now, my volume buttons work without any drivers. This is totally not what I would've expected, but in the end as long as those buttons work, I'm happy.

So basically the Microsoft drivers...broke functionality? Wouldn't be unheard of...maybe they updated the version of the installer since your last Hackintosh installation and it's just not as compatible now. There are tons of great aftermarket apps to let you reconfigure the keyboard, many of which work better than Microsoft's software. Here are a couple good ones:

Ukelele

ControllerMate

weaksauce12,

Very nice, thanks for putting together a tutorial! Does using the Retail DVD mean that you can download ALL updates without any issue, or is the installation still prone to getting customizations like kexts knocked out upon updating?

Likewise, thanks to weaksauce, here is the "guide" to install retail leo on this board

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117834

Awesome, nice job! Feel free to include the BIOS screenshots and download package in your own tutorial...I constantly update the guide, so what works right now in your tutorial may not work in the future. Plus, the next revision is going to be in PDF format, so you'll want to snag the package and screenshots now before I update everything.

Does your Boot-132 method on Retail require a disc in the drive for booting each time?

I did something similar to this using some of the info from karaakeha1's guide and using Pacifist to extract the two kexts from ~pcwiz's package so that I could install it to the "retail Leopard" before rebooting.

1. I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on one HD.

2. Booted into it and then installed Chameleon EFI on the other [target] HD.

3. Installed retail leopard from a disk image.

4. Updated it with the 10.5.4 combo update.

5. Used a slightly modified script from karaakeha1 and LTL's guides to install the kexts (including the ones from ~pcwiz's package).

6. Rebooted into the retail leopard.

7. Installed graphics using NVInstaller and the audio patch from weaksauce's package.

Haven't played around with it much yet cause it took some time for me to work out what kexts I was going to mix and match but I have put it to sleep and restarted and it's working fine (and I didn't install the CHUD package).

Thanks again weaksauce.

Beautiful! Did you use the P35-DS3L board or the EP35 board? Also, did you install the updated ACPI platform kext?

Use my 8400 GS 256 MG tutorial here.

Basically download the first attached NVinject.kext.zip file (9.36K) and install using Kext Helper

Then restart!

If that file doesn't work download the second NVinject.kext.zip file (9.35K) and install as above.

Hope it helps!

Great tutorial, I'll include a link to it in my next update! Thanks! :)

Is it wise to use system management programs like Onyx?

Sure...I haven't run into anything I can't run on my Hackintosh. My Hack works just as well as my real Macs, albeit quite a bit faster :D

How is your SoundCard guys?

I have 3 outputs: Line Out, Headphones and Digital, and 2 inputs: Mic and Line In

Is it possible to set up Line Out + Digital Out at the same time? (like windows)

On Audio MIDI Setup I can set the Agregate Device, but it only let me choose 2 speakers and Quadraphonic (4 speakers with separate channels 1,2,3 and 4).

I want Line Out (channels 1 and 2) and Digital Out (channels 1 and 2)

Ok i do have one question in my mind, do we need to install the leopard graphics update or we don't need that, perhaps 10.5.4 takes care of it?

You do not need to install the Leopard Graphics Update. Plus, it doesn't work on 10.5.4. At least not on my machine...I tried and it wouldn't let me install it. As long as you have the right driver for your video card (and a compatible video card to begin with!), you should be fine. Your video card should show "Core Image: Hardware Accelerated" and "Quartz Extreme: Supported" in System Profiler.

How is your SoundCard guys?

I have 3 outputs: Line Out, Headphones and Digital, and 2 inputs: Mic and Line In

Is it possible to set up Line Out + Digital Out at the same time? (like windows)

On Audio MIDI Setup I can set the Agregate Device, but it only let me choose 2 speakers and Quadraphonic (4 speakers with separate channels 1,2,3 and 4).

I want Line Out (channels 1 and 2) and Digital Out (channels 1 and 2)

Hmm, that's an interesting problem. I found this solution posted over on the Mac Rumors forum:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p...mp;postcount=10

You'll need SoundFlower (
) and AU Lab, which is available in Apple's Developer Tools (for Leopard at least).

In Audio MIDI Setup (/Applications/Utilities) create an aggregate device with the devices "Built-In Audio", "SoundSticks" and "SoundFlower". Change the default output to SoundFlower.

Open up AU Lab, and add output channels for "Stream 1" and "Stream 2" (not for SoundFlower), and add the SoundFlower input channel.

You should be set! Volume can be controlled in AU Lab's faders.

Got 10.5.4 working fine on my GA-EP35-DS3L rig listed earlier in this thread with basic restart, sleep, shutdown testing.

Has anyone managed to get remote wake from sleep working? I tried a couple of apps such as WakeOnLan and WakeUp with no luck. Perhaps someone with a PCI ethernet card could try this? I would like to use this machine as a remote server if possible, and not have it run 24/7.

Edit: I should add that I've removed all my IDE hardware in the mean time.

Only twice during the installation. The Boot-132 disk is customized specifically for this board. Once Chamelon is on, you've done. It will boot from the hard drive

Neat, I'll have to give this a try some time :(

Got 10.5.4 working fine on my GA-EP35-DS3L rig listed earlier in this thread with basic restart, sleep, shutdown testing.

Has anyone managed to get remote wake from sleep working? I tried a couple of apps such as WakeOnLan and WakeUp with no luck. Perhaps someone with a PCI ethernet card could try this? I would like to use this machine as a remote server if possible, and not have it run 24/7.

Got a link to those apps? I'll try it on my Encore PCI NIC.

I have done everything in the tutorial repeated times. It worked but when I went to import HD footage from HV20 into FCS2, at 1st FCS did not recognize my camera although the computer does. Then when it finally did, it only oimported only for a couple of seconds and then a panic where i had to restrt by holding down power button. The same goes for iMovie. Im now running 10.5.4. All other prgrams wrked thus far, jst the importing of video and all video software. This is the main reason for building this Hack.

Is there any 1 out there with any suggestions of have had similar issues? Please help.

I've installed and re-installed the whole hack and seperate programs numberous times.

I have the same mobo as the guide details, 2G RAM, EVGA 8800GTS vid card, firewire port, usb port, ethernet port and thats about it... ohh, Q6600 2.4 Quad CPU.

need help, thankx.

You do not need to install the Leopard Graphics Update. Plus, it doesn't work on 10.5.4. At least not on my machine...I tried and it wouldn't let me install it. As long as you have the right driver for your video card (and a compatible video card to begin with!), you should be fine. Your video card should show "Core Image: Hardware Accelerated" and "Quartz Extreme: Supported" in System Profiler.

Hmm, that's an interesting problem. I found this solution posted over on the Mac Rumors forum:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p...mp;postcount=10

You'll need SoundFlower (
http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower
) and AU Lab, which is available in Apple's Developer Tools (for Leopard at least).

Thanks.

btw, you are right, Leopard Graphics Update is not necessary on 10.5.4 or 10.5.3, is for 10.5.2, 10.5.3 has newer kexts. Of course some 10.5.3 Nvidia kexts make some cards to have slower performance, so restoring some of those kexts allow you to have goot performance again.

Glad to hear you're sailing smoothly! What do you use your Mac for?

I use it for everything that I was using my windows machine for. Well my mac "was" my windows machine. Gaming, music, movies, internet, my wifes homework and school. Any software I cant get on mac, I just download the pc version and run it on my mac with either crossover or vmware. WoW plays great and I dont notice any side effects of the tricky onboard LAN driver. It works smooth as silk while the mac is running, sleeping, restart, etc........

Is there any1 successfully running FCS2 and or iMovie '08 on there Hackintosh? If so, can you possibly help me getting to that point. My Hack recognizes the cam(HV20) but stops shortly after where I can no longer import. I do not know what is causing this.

FCS version = 6.0

iMovie = 7.1.4

I tried damn near everything. I do not kno what else to do. Please help!!