[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

Weaksauce, thanks so much for your guide. I have a question about dual-booting with your procedure. To create a dual boot with Vista and Leopard, should I just partition my hard disk in Vista, then go through your guide? I wasn't sure if I should just follow another guide in the forum to set up dual boot and yours to install Leopard or if there was a certain way to do it if I installed it your way. Thanks in advance for your help!

Landshark, please keep up posted on your efforts with Final Cut Pro. I'm building a Hackintosh for primarily video editing and it'd be a bummer if it was non-functional. I'm sure there's a fix though.

Great guide, really helped me along and up and running.. iam a mac guy so has been interesting getting the PC i made to run OSX :D

Running great so far, very fast and snappy.. running Wolfdale 8400 OC to 3.66 with a eVGA 8800 GT SSC card.. still trying to get Final Cut Pro to work.. but FCP keeps telling me i have no video ram... weird cause i have no problems what so ever with anything else and in the system profiler it lists i have a 512 unknown card from NVIDIA... any ideas? ran the NVinstaller.. maybe has something to do with the fact its a SSC 8800 GT???

Maybe the NVinstaller is not installing the correct drivers but i will try a few more and see what happens..

Thanks!

This is most likely linked to the Video Driver. Final Cut Pro 6 works perfectly on my machine, but my machine shows the proper model of the video card. I know 512mb Video Cards have been problematic in the past, so I'd definitely encourage you to check out the Graphics section of this forum to see what people are doing to get their Video Cards properly identified. I'm willing to bet that once you fix that, FCP will work for you. Also, nice overclock! :)

Weaksauce, thanks so much for your guide. I have a question about dual-booting with your procedure. To create a dual boot with Vista and Leopard, should I just partition my hard disk in Vista, then go through your guide? I wasn't sure if I should just follow another guide in the forum to set up dual boot and yours to install Leopard or if there was a certain way to do it if I installed it your way. Thanks in advance for your help!

Landshark, please keep up posted on your efforts with Final Cut Pro. I'm building a Hackintosh for primarily video editing and it'd be a bummer if it was non-functional. I'm sure there's a fix though.

Final Cut definitely works! My machine is primarily a video editing machine. As far as Dual-Booting, I am working my way through several methods to see which is the best and will include a Dual Boot guide when I release the full version of the 10.5.4 guide update if I can get a good GUID Dual Boot method working properly.

* My PS/2 keyboard worked both during the install and after.

* When I installed the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Updater, I installed the mod_bin kernel.

* After I installed NVinstaller, I lost the USB ports. Installing the usb_fix restored them, although my generic USB external hard drive isn't being recognized (not sure I care about this).

* Am having issues with spotty Bluetooth pairing of an Apple wireless keyboard (am going to try the fix in this thread). The install recogized my Apple wireless mouse right away and it always pairs consistently.

* Shutdown and sleep are not working - shutdown powers off Leopard but the system fans still run.

* Firewire connection seems inconsistent. I did get it to work with a TC Electronics Konnekt 24D audio interface and play some system sounds through it, but on the next restart, it didn't connect. The Konnekt 24D does this same behavior on my Macbook though.

* This box seems much faster than my C2D MacBook.

* My front USB ports aren't working - have to go and check my wiring.

* I have to go out and buy iLife as the copy of iLife I have is tied to my Macbook (it won't let me install it).

* I have a second Samsung 750gb drive that I'm going to install as well as a Time Machine Backup

* I don't know if the onboard Ethernet works, I just disabled it

1. Good to know on the PS/2 keyboard and mouse, I'll have to try those out tonight when I'm doing the IDE drive testing!

2. What's different about the mod_bin kernel? I've only used Vanilla and Sleep.

3. That's weird; NVinstaller shouldn't have anything to do with the USB ports. I'm glad the USB Fix worked, but that's still weird that your generic drive isn't being recognized.

4. Yup, try the Bluetooth Fix. Previously the Bluetooth in Kalyway wouldn't let Bluetooth keyboards pair on this board for some reason, but this solves it.

5. Yup, this is a known issue with the Vanilla kernel. The Sleep kernel fixes it, but I have a solution for the Vanilla kernel that I'll post later today.

6. Firewire should be 100% rock-solid (at least it is on the P35-DS3L model). Try putting your Firewire card in the 2nd PCI port, or moving it to a different port if it's there, and then restarting.

7. Yeah, blows away my 13" Macbook. It's hard to use anything else when I have this kind of power available, haha.

8. Front USB definitely works on my P35-DS3L; yeah, check your wiring and if that doesn't work, move it to a different internal USB port.

9. FYI iLife 08 works great, as does iMovie 06 (free download for 08 users; 06 supports plugins).

10. The Samsung should work great as a Time Machine backup; let me know if you have any problems with that. The TM Fix during Kalyway installation solves that problem on the P35-DS3L.

11. If you feel like trying it sometime, let me know what the results are. I wonder if the stock Ethernet driver in Leopard works natively (be sure to test wake from sleep and iTunes shares/AFP servers if you decide to try it!).

The Kernel selection is listed in Step 2, Part B of the Guide:

b. Customize options: (before installing)

1) Uncheck all boxes

2) Check "Kernel_9.2_sleep" under "Kernels"

...etc

Oh sorry... I was referring to the second part of the install where the kernel is installed after the Kalyway 10.5.3 combo updater.

Was Audio supported by default? And as far as SMBIOS, does your Memory pane in System Profiler show up correctly? Shows all the banks and what's installed?

How many megabytes of vram does your 8800GT have?

Audio was not supported by default...had to use additional audio installer by pzwiz.

Yes memory always showed correctly in the System Profiler.

My 8800GT has 512MB. After much elbow grease I found only Scott Dangle's NVinstaller worked for my card. As mentioned before the new 10.5.3 NVinstaller v.52, the 8800GT was 100% supported but the card was not named properly. Was named something like "Graphics by nVidea"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like I'm having an issue with Firewire.

I have two Firewire drives that will show up very briefly on the desktop during startup, but then disappear. The Firewire drives don't show up Disk Utility, but will show partially in System Profiler. By partially I mean only the enclosures are recognized, not the hard drives in the enclosures.

Here's how System Profiler sees on drive:

OXFORD IDE Device 1:

Manufacturer: NewerTech miniStack

Model: 0x0

GUID: 0x1D202E0BC0779

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Sub-units:

OXFORD IDE Device 1 Unit:

Unit Software Version: 0x10483

Unit Spec ID: 0x609E

Usually there's a long tree of disk information below the above info.

I can restart and usually the Firewire drives will show.

Any insight to this?

Thanks,

John

Oh sorry... I was referring to the second part of the install where the kernel is installed after the Kalyway 10.5.3 combo updater.

Yup, just click right through - don't install any of the Kernels listed. If you leave everything unchecked, it will keep the 9.2 Sleep Kernel. I assumed people would just click through, but I'll make sure to point that out more clearly in the next guide revision - thanks!

Also, my cloning worked successfully. It goes like this:

1. Clone drive using SuperDuper

2. Install Chameleon on the new drive (you have to change the installation location manually)

3. Mark the data partition on the new drive as active

Voila! I'll write up a more detailed guide later, gotta run to work! :)

Yup, just click right through - don't install any of the Kernels listed. If you leave everything unchecked, it will keep the 9.2 Sleep Kernel. I assumed people would just click through, but I'll make sure to point that out more clearly in the next guide revision - thanks!

Oops, that is maybe some of my problem. I thought you had to install one of the two kernels.

I'm going to reinstall and see if that fixes things.

There's two parts to the Kalyway Combo Updater 10.5.3.

The main 10.5.3 Combo update package and the kernel package. Should we not use the kernel package?

Thanks,

John

I burn kalyway to dvd-r using imgburn and nero..the iso is around 3.6 gig, it takes about 40 min at 1x to burn to dvd, it seems like it was all burned, at the end I open the newly burned dvd in windows and contents appears as 116kb...is that normalwhen opening this on windows?

There's two parts to the Kalyway Combo Updater 10.5.3.

The main 10.5.3 Combo update package and the kernel package. Should we not use the kernel package?

Thanks,

John

You need to use both.

1. Run the update package.

2. After it runs, it will prompt you to restart. Do not do that. Instead, open up a new Finder window (or go back to your original one) and run the 2nd kernel package.

3. You will see two checkboxes and two kernels (vanilla and mod_bin). Make sure no kernels are checked.

4. Once the 2nd kernel package is done, go back to the window for the first package and click the Restart button.

Weaksauce, I just reinstalled without checking any of the kernels. Shutdown and sleep work great now!

Mini Update: 19-July-2008

+ Now includes Pystar driver for Onboard Ethernet (5-8 seconds to wake; sees AFP/Bonjour shares)

+ Now includes demo of Disco (CD/DVD burning app; useful for burning ISO files)

+ Now includes Memtest86+ (ISO format - burn to a CD for memory testing)

+ Now includes Bluetooth Fix (2 kext files)

+ Now includes AHCI Fix (2 kext files)

+ Added detailed instructions for installing the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update

+ Added more detailed instructions for editing "About This Mac" to display the proper CPU speed & processor name/model

+ Added a note about researching 512mb cards (for maximum compatibility)

+ Added System Voice change info for using Temperature Monitor correctly

+ Added "256mb" note to "Vanilla" option for NVinstaller (in the Guide info)

+ Added status of items testing (IDE, digital audio, etc.)

+ Updated download links for new Tutorial Package version (changed older version to archival links)

+ Updated Ethernet info in "Special Notes" section

+ Changed "Quirks & Help Needed" section to "Special Notes"

+ Changed "SMBIOS" section to "Various Kexts" (includes Bluetooth & AHCI kexts now)

- Removed OSx86 Tools Utility by PCwiz (no longer needed)

- Removed Guide section on backing up & restoring kexts

This should fix a lot of the problems from the v1.0 guide. I'm keeping it on 10.5.3 for now, because the 10.5.4 update is still giving me kernel panics. I do have a working Vanilla update, however (involves a text, an app, and a script, but it works!).

No complaints so far but I haven't used it extensively. Typing this from my Vista laptop right now.

My LAN card works out of the box on that board though and I did install the NVinject.kext while installing off of the Kalyway CD. Other than that, I think I pretty much followed your guide and all was well. Sleep, restart, etc. are all working. Sound works out of either the back connection with it set to "internal" or the front connection with it set to "headphone" but it doesn't look like it works with both at the same time. Don't know if that's just how OS X is though.

Also, this was installed before your latest update although I don't think anything would not work.

weaksauce12,

I convert your guide (version 1.1) into PDF format to make it easier to read, and print for reference. If you don't mind, I can put the link for everyone to download.

PS. All pictures will be full size in the PDF document (21 pages total).

Hi all, want to say great job on the tutorial!! Have reinstalled many times finally followed your guide and Everything all finally works!!!

EXCEPT... I seem to have some problem with my audio, it will run fine for quite sometime then starts to degrade and crackle or just completely disappear.

Using the on board audio. Seems to happen with every install, no matter which method i use. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

It is the only thing keeping me from completely switching over from windows. I am a musician and do alot of production work for my friends. Really would like to use garageband since that's what most of my friends use. I have tried many different audio kexts still to no avail. Don't know maybe i am missing something. I know it is not

a bad board since it works just fine in Windows. Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance and for how far i have gotten.

Gigabyte P35 GA-DS3L

Intel core 2 2750

4GB Gskill DDR2 800

EVGA Gforce 8800GT 512

300GB SATA HDD x2

Sony DVD Rewriter

weaksauce12,

I convert your guide (version 1.1) into PDF format to make it easier to read, and print for reference. If you don't mind, I can put the link for everyone to download.

PS. All pictures will be full size in the PDF document (21 pages total).

Thanks, I added it to the Guide as available for download! Here's the link for everybody:

http://rapidshare.com/files/131038044/GA-P...Guide_.pdf.html

The 10.5.4 guide update is actually in PDF format because I cut it up into different sections (Hardware, Leopard, Overclocking, Cloning, etc.), but this is great because we have a downloadable PDF copy of v1.1! Thanks! :)

Hi all, want to say great job on the tutorial!! Have reinstalled many times finally followed your guide and Everything all finally works!!!

EXCEPT... I seem to have some problem with my audio, it will run fine for quite sometime then starts to degrade and crackle or just completely disappear.

A few questions:

1. Did you use the Audio package in my Tutorial package?

2. Are you using 10.5.3?

3. Do you have the F7 BIOS?

4. Do you have Rev 2.0 of the DS3L board? (6 USB ports on the backplate)

5. It definitely doesn't exhibit the degredation behavior in Windows?

My audio definitely does NOT degrade, crackle, or disappear, so this is a very odd problem. If you're open to it, try my new v1.1 10.5.3 guide update from scratch. It minimizes the amount of old kexts that are used (although I didn't have any audio problems with the v1.0 version of the guide, but hey, it's worth a shot!). You might consider an external audio interface, such as a USB or Firewire sound card. I have a Griffin iMic that I use with my G4 Cube that works pretty well ($30 USB sound card with input/output).

Ok, you know what? the bios on my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 wasn't v7 but v6, updated it, rebooted, updated with the Apple software update to 10.5.4, rebooted, installed the NVinstaller v.52 rebooted, everything works ;) (apple profiler says 768MB for my eVGA8800GT SSC but it works.. so screw it... )

FCP is up and running rendering while i work on the mac.. this is the main reason... for this "test" still split on buying a MacPro 8 core... or replacing my 2 year old MacBook Pro and keep using the PC for a bit.. we will see..

In any case again great guide!

Thanks!

This is most likely linked to the Video Driver. Final Cut Pro 6 works perfectly on my machine, but my machine shows the proper model of the video card. I know 512mb Video Cards have been problematic in the past, so I'd definitely encourage you to check out the Graphics section of this forum to see what people are doing to get their Video Cards properly identified. I'm willing to bet that once you fix that, FCP will work for you. Also, nice overclock! :D

10.5.4 Vanilla Mini-Update Guide:

This guide will update a 10.5.3 installation (including one with the Sleep kernel) to 10.5.4 Vanilla. Special thanks to Master Stella for all of the great help! ;)

What do I need?

1. Download the 10.5.4 Delta Update (NOT Combo Update!) here (88mb, labeled "Mac OS X 10.5.4 Update")

2. Download the 10.5.4 update package here

How do I install it?

1. Install the 10.5.4 Delta Update. Do NOT restart when finished!

2. Using Kexthelper, install "AppleACPIPlatform.kext"

3. Install "CHUD.pkg"

4. Open Finder and click on your boot drive. From there, navigate to the following folders: Developer > Extras > PreferencesPanes and install "Processor.prefPane" (for all users)

5. Install "PowerOff bug fix"

6. Click the Restart button on the 10.5.4 Delta Update window (the first reboot will take longer than usual)

7. Test Shutdown and Restart to ensure that they are working (shutdown will take a bit longer than on the Sleep kernel; that's normal)

How does it work?

The 10.5.4 Delta update is compatible with our current 10.5.3 Kalyway installations. However, this updates changes the kernel to Vanilla, which breaks restart and shutdown. So after installing the 10.5.4 update but before restarting, we have to install the fixes for those two things. The first fix comes to us from karaakeha1, who has made the AppleACPIPlatform kext work for restarting on a Vanilla kernel. Installation is as simple as using Kexthelper. The shutdown fix is a little bit more tricky; it requires installing a package from Apple's Developer Tools, CHUD.pkg, which allows you to install a Processor preference pane, and then a script to use that prefPane. In a nutshell, when you restart the computer, the script disables all but one core on the processor, which allows the computer to shutdown completely. When you restart after all of that, 10.5.4 finishes setting up and then you have a Vanilla 10.5.4 installation! :thumbsup_anim:

10.5.4 Vanilla Mini-Update Guide:

This guide will update a 10.5.3 installation (including one with the Sleep kernel) to 10.5.4 Vanilla. Special thanks to Master Stella for all of the great help! :rolleyes:

What do I need?

1. Download the 10.5.4 Delta Update (NOT Combo Update!) here

2. Download the 10.5.4 update package here

weaksauce12,

The 10.5.4 Delta Update that you mentioned is the one with 88MB, right?