[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

Hey, quick question...

whenever I try to look for ram on new egg for the mobo it only gives me listings

of 2 x 1gb...I'm looking for 2 x 2gb..so I can put in 8gb like you..what ram do you have/recommend?

Thanks

I just buy the individual 2gb sticks. For some reason it's usually a buck or two cheaper to buy them separately (at least for the low-end stuff). As long as it's name brand, it doesn't really matter - PQI, A-DATA, Corsair, etc. I have the cheapest stuff Newegg sells and it overclocks just fine (I think I'm at 1002mhz).

Just about any DDR2 will work fine. Choose RAM from major manufacturers. DDR2800 is going for just a bit more than 667, so it's a good price point. This selection from newegg seems to start around $80:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

If you can get a set that runs at 1.8v (the default), that's good since it will help keep your computer a bit cooler.

Faster RAM generally won't make a big difference in performance, so only get it if you need the absolute fastest performance and are willing to pay the price premium for it. I'm running some DDR2667 very slightly OC'd to 700MHz. I've even got 4x1gb of Crucial Ballistix DDR2800 sitting around. I've just been too lazy to put it in.

Yeah, I think it's really only worth it if you're heavily overclocking. But I haven't really messed with memory and overclocking other than setting it to auto, so maybe someone else could give us some more insight on that.

WeakSauce

Listen I finally found time to do all that was in your tutorial and I came across to problems

(quick question why the archive says damaged by the end of the process).

Okay what I came across:

1.Never had this before (when I installed Leopard) THE Eject button of my dvd burner is not working always have to righclick and then eject? Before used to work but now no, why is that?

2. Have no sound? Cant install drivers what do u mean "Simply draf the audio file on Taruga from icon and it will install"? Draged everything I could mp3, wav, wmv what else can I drag simple didnt work. Iam i doing something wrong?

Real Macs don't have eject buttons. Therefore, the Eject button doesn't work on a Hackintosh. Welcome to Vanilla Land :angel:

You have three other quick and easy choices for ejecting, however:

1. Press and hold F12 (you'll get the Eject icon on the screen)

2. Right-click on the disc icon and choose Eject

3. Drag the disc icon to the trash can (this will eject the disc)

You don't need to drag mp3/wav/wmv files to the Taruga icon; you need to drag the ACL888.codec.txt onto the AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 icon. It will ask you for your password and then you will see this screen:

post-157099-1217437370_thumb.png

When it's finished, you will see the bottom line just like on the picture above: "** Done patching - You can reboot now **". Once you reboot, your audio will work. In System Profiler, it will show (correctly) that there is no Built-in Audio, as this screenshot shows:

post-157099-1217437518_thumb.png

And that's all there is to it! ;)

I have done that and it still doesnt work

Weaksauce

Re-read the new tutorial it says here:

2) Check "Kernel_9.2_sleep" under "Kernels" (don't worry - we'll install Vanilla later!)

But I couldnt find this part in tutorial sorry for being such a noob

The 10.5.4 Delta Update (88mb) installs the Vanilla kernel. I added a note to the guide to clear that up, thanks! ;)

This is such a great guide! Thanks. I am trying to resolve sleep (works but does not wakeup) and shutdown (sometimes not working) on my dell 1512 dual core. I know I am using different HW, but the issues are the same. I am at 10.5.4 now. I have two questions:

1. I have already updated to 10.5.4 from Apple, will I be able to still use "CHUD.pkg"? I can redo the whole thing if necessary.

2. Does using "CHUD.pkg" and subsequent steps disables my dell's second core?

3. As an alternative, will I be able to use sleep_kernel given that I am at 10.5.4 now?

Lastly, would cloning work if I use an image and later restore to a drive and then run Chameleon?

Thanks a lot.

Is the Dell 1512 a Laptop or Desktop? Laptops require special hacks to get them working properly.

CHUD simply lets you choose how many cores to use while Leopard is running. It does not disable the second core unless you tell it to. The PowerOff fix disables all but one core when you press the Shutdown button, which allows for proper shutdown on the P35-DS3L. The Sleep kernel doesn't require these hacks on the DS3L.

Yes, cloning would work if you used an image to later restore to a drive. In fact, if you backup to a sparseimage file, you can restore it using your Kalyway 10.5.2 disc via Disc Utility. Keep the DVD in the drive, boot up to the desktop, and install Chameleon. This is convenient if you want to backup to a file instead of keeping a full drive clone as backup.

First, thanks for the effort put forth on the best tutorial on the site. I'm trying to set this up on a second partition, where WinXP is on the first partition.

The problem is that Windows XP doesn't support drives with GUID partitions. Therefore, when you install OS X, you need to format the Leopard partition with MBR. I believe there are some additional steps needed to take when dual-booting; you might want to search through some of the dual-booting guides here in the Genius Bar first. Also, you can use something like Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, or DriveImageXML with BartPE to clone your XP installation for safe-keeping.

OK, I feel like an idiot right now. I wanted to clone my OSX disk, so I ran SuperDuper! That was fine. I installed the Chameleon program using the installer. How the heck do I run it?

EDIT: OK, feel even more like an idiot now. I obviously did not hose my existing installation by installing on my existing OSX disk because I rebooted and everything looked fine. I was supposed to change the installation target to the clone disk during the installation of the program. Duh. Well, I'm going to pop the clone in and see how it goes (after I mark the correct partition bootable)

The clone worked fantastic with your instructions weaksauce12. Another interesting thing to note: Looks like whatever is not allowing my Microsoft keyboard to be recognized is also affecting my Logitech EX110 set. The volume buttons on my Logitech aren't detected by default. After installing the Logitech Control Center software, only the mouse is detected. The set works fine on my PC, so I know it's the hack that's got the issue. Perhaps something in 10.5.4 or .3 broke keyboard detection. I didn't try attaching anything using PS/2, but I did apply the pcwiz patch you pointed me to anyway.

Odd odd odd! I've been testing out all of my keyboards here and they all work fine. I did a fresh install using my guide on a spare drive, same deal - no issues. If it was just your MS keyboard, I'd say get a new keyboard, but since your Logitech equipment is having the same issue, all signs point to the software installation! I'd say it was bad USB ports too, but your previous Leopard installation is still working fine with them!

Is there any wireless interference otherwise? I had to ditch my last Microsoft wireless keyboard because my wife's MX1000 screwed up the signal when I typed on it, maybe there's a similar issue with yours - is there more than one wireless set in the same room?

Also, glad the cloning worked out well for you! I'm thinking about making a screencast on how to install the software...it's a tad confusing with all of the different installers (Taruga, CHUD, Chameleon, etc.).

Okay look guys I have re-downloaded the package dropped the file and it worked IT SAID DONE AND REBOOT.

UPON REBOOT NO SOUND! iTunes doesnt even play files. I go to preferences then AUDIO devices Output/Input all empty all tickes are grey? WTH? This is getting frustrating.:)

Weaksauce since ur turorial changed it doesnt say anything if I still need to Back Up Extensions? Do I?

No, you don't need to back up all extensions anymore, I found the specific kexts I needed for AHCI. Is your sound still not working?

Thanks for the guide, weaksauce12! Everything works great, but initially I had problems with my video card (MSI 8500GT 512MB). I used the NVinstaller and chose the 512MB option, but this made the system very unstable and the graphics choppy (moving windows, etc). I tried the Vanilla option as well (no specified amount of memory) and now everything worked except that I only got 256MB. Bummer. However, I started looking into the whole EFI string business and found an installer that finally got my card up and running with 512MB. Just selected the 8500GT with 512MB from the list and clicked install. So simple!

Really strange though, I tested the card on a friend's DS4 board and it worked perfectly with NVinject512, but not on the DS3L. But I have the EFI string now, so to hell with injectors! :P

Now for my next problem: I want to use AHCI with all four SATA ports but unlike most people I actually want to be able to eject SATA drives (so that I can eject my Windows drive and get rid of some noise and not have it wake up every time I use Spotlight). I read that since 10.5.4 all SATA ports are recognized, no need for modded kexts, is this correct? I don't care if the icons are orange, and those can be changed using Candybar anyway.

Glad EFI Strings solved your problems! EFI Strings are going to be in my next guide update. As far as NVinject working fine on your DS4 board but not the DS3L - that's exactly why I've written a specific guide for this board. There are annoying little differences that need to be worked out from board to board - releasing a guide for a very specific motherboard running a specific BIOS greatly improves people's chances for success and helps to identify weird little bugs like you encountered!

Yes, you can eject any non-boot drive using the AHCI kexts I included. As soon as you install the two AHCI kexts, all SATA ports will be recognized as silver drives instead of orange drives. If you're on 10.5.3 you can just install them using Kext Helper and it will work the same way.

Had multiple crashes today which was weird, all when running VmWare Fusion and XP. At least ten times in a row.

Weird since I've never had issues with VMWare before on a hack

Will try and run memtest since I've never done so before...

Which release of VMware are you using? You may need to update it. However, I've had zero problems with ANY of their releases...do a 6-pass memory test overnight with Memtest86+ to ensure that your memory isn't faulty.

Here's a random one: my Apple DVD player software doesn't work. It loads, I choose a DVD media, point it to a ripped DVD folder or VIDEO_TS folder, click OK, then it just shuts down. VLC works fine, so I don't think it's a video driver issue. My video card does show up in System Profiler, though it says "Graphics by nVidia" and not the real board model. QE/CI are both supported, and no other apps have had issues. Any suggestions? I kinda like the Apple DVD player interface, but no biggie.

"Graphics by nVidia" is simply the default name that NVinstaller gives to your card when you use it as an installer. It has no correlation to graphics performance; it is purely cosmetic.

My DVD player works fine with physical DVD movies, but I'll try it with a ripped disc to Video_TS (I usually use ISO & VLC). Did you use Mac The Ripper?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ports aren't bad. There are four wireless keyboard sets in the room, but I only type on one at a time. (My wife wasn't around when I did all this nonsense. The other two sets go with other computers.)

I wonder if this has anything to do with it: when I first followed your guide, I left the kalyway options checked for other languages/fonts. I later unchecked those in subsequent installs (including my current one). When I've gotten the Apple keyboard identification wizard, it will ask me to hit the keys next to both shift keys. Then it will ask me to choose between US, European, and (I think) Japanese layouts. In fact, when I installed the Logitech Control Center, it also asked me to choose between those layouts. Anybody ever get this keyboard identification wizard? Or am I the only lucky one?

Oh well, thanks for the help. I wonder what will happen when I get my Logitech S530 (designed for Mac!) later this week.

I get the keyboard identification wizard every single time I install Leopard.

Yes, it is very important to uncheck ALL of the checkboxes first, before selecting the specific things I say to select on the Kalyway 10.5.2 disc. I don't know why this is important, but I worked with another user who was having an unrelated problem that came back to simply unchecking everything before checking the appropriate boxes. Might want to give that a go! Also, I'm whipping up a custom-modded APCI kext with the PS/2 fix included right now; once I'm done testing it I'll post it here.

Here's a random one: my Apple DVD player software doesn't work. It loads, I choose a DVD media, point it to a ripped DVD folder or VIDEO_TS folder, click OK, then it just shuts down. VLC works fine, so I don't think it's a video driver issue. My video card does show up in System Profiler, though it says "Graphics by nVidia" and not the real board model. QE/CI are both supported, and no other apps have had issues. Any suggestions? I kinda like the Apple DVD player interface, but no biggie.

I just buy the individual 2gb sticks. For some reason it's usually a buck or two cheaper to buy them separately (at least for the low-end stuff). As long as it's name brand, it doesn't really matter - PQI, A-DATA, Corsair, etc. I have the cheapest stuff Newegg sells and it overclocks just fine (I think I'm at 1002mhz).

Yeah, I think it's really only worth it if you're heavily overclocking. But I haven't really messed with memory and overclocking other than setting it to auto, so maybe someone else could give us some more insight on that.

If you leave your Memory Frequency at Auto, it gets the same overclock that you apply to your CPU. If you have DDR2-800 and you're at 1000mhz, you have a 25% overclock on your CPU (unless you've changed the memory speed ratio). If you can run the memory at that rate, and it's stable - excellent! Running the CPU and memory at a 1:1 ratio is the fastest.

I have an E2180 CPU, and I'm applying a 40% OC to it, running at 2.8 Ghz. My DDR2-667 memory won't work 40% faster, and it's likely no memory will, so I change the System Memory Multiplier from Auto to run it at 700Mhz. All the other ratios are too fast for my memory.

Never forget to check your "PCI Express Frequency(MHz)" when overclocking. OC'ing the CPU moves everything else faster, and that includes your graphics boards. Most suggest that you lock it at 100 because you can damage your video card (in truth, overclocking can damage any component, but it seems video boards are more susceptible).

weaksauce12, in your guide you mention disabling the "CPU Host Clock Control" and changing the CPU multiplier. Most people do not overclock this way. Typically, CPU multipliers are locked, so you can't increase them. You can lower them, and then pump up the CPU clock, but it's debatable whether it truly makes your system faster or just makes synthetic benchmarks go faster. I read a really good article on hardforum about it. When I overclock, I enable the "CPU Host Clock Control" and change my "CPU Host Frequency" from 200 to 280, I lock the PCI-e at 100, and change the memory frequency so my PC will boot.

Odd odd odd! I've been testing out all of my keyboards here and they all work fine. I did a fresh install using my guide on a spare drive, same deal - no issues. If it was just your MS keyboard, I'd say get a new keyboard, but since your Logitech equipment is having the same issue, all signs point to the software installation! I'd say it was bad USB ports too, but your previous Leopard installation is still working fine with them!

Is there any wireless interference otherwise? I had to ditch my last Microsoft wireless keyboard because my wife's MX1000 screwed up the signal when I typed on it, maybe there's a similar issue with yours - is there more than one wireless set in the same room?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ports aren't bad. There are four wireless keyboard sets in the room, but I only type on one at a time. (My wife wasn't around when I did all this nonsense. The other two sets go with other computers.)

I wonder if this has anything to do with it: when I first followed your guide, I left the kalyway options checked for other languages/fonts. I later unchecked those in subsequent installs (including my current one). When I've gotten the Apple keyboard identification wizard, it will ask me to hit the keys next to both shift keys. Then it will ask me to choose between US, European, and (I think) Japanese layouts. In fact, when I installed the Logitech Control Center, it also asked me to choose between those layouts. Anybody ever get this keyboard identification wizard? Or am I the only lucky one?

Oh well, thanks for the help. I wonder what will happen when I get my Logitech S530 (designed for Mac!) later this week.

The problem is that Windows XP doesn't support drives with GUID partitions. Therefore, when you install OS X, you need to format the Leopard partition with MBR. I believe there are some additional steps needed to take when dual-booting; you might want to search through some of the dual-booting guides here in the Genius Bar first. Also, you can use something like Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, or DriveImageXML with BartPE to clone your XP installation for safe-keeping.

Thanks WS12.

I re-did the install from scratch, currently Kalyway 10.5.2+Kalyway ComboUpdate 10.5.3+Apple10.5.4 Delta Update. I'm still getting the 'failed to load com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI' error, but it's booting up to the desktop for now.

The only things that I haven't installed are the SATA driver kexts, and the Processor.prefPane extra, because the 'Developer/Extras/PreferencesPanes' folder didn't show up on the boot drive after this last install. Not sure what happened there, but I will probably try again and try some different things.

Still not working properly: shut down, display changes (blue screens and reboots required) and my drives are Anaheim Ducks orange (blech!).

I eventually want to get an XP/OSX/Ubuntu triple-boot working properly, so I will look at the multi-boot guides more. I thought your guide was a good way to get my feet wet for the experience of 'success', and whet the appetite for more hacking :) .

Audio Fix to get System Profiler to display correctly:

http://rapidshare.com/files/133658994/AudioFix.zip.html

How to install the Audio Fix:

1. From your boot drive, open System>Library>Extensions and delete ALCinject.kext (I'd recommend backing it up first)

2. Using Kext Helper in the download package, install HDAEnabler.kext

3. Reboot

Your Audio pane in System Profiler should now look like this:

post-157099-1217444819_thumb.png

Please test this and let me know if you encounter any problems. You may have to do a Repair Permissions after doing the above steps.

Note that this is purely cosmetic. Please back up your files before making any changes.

How to change the Boot Resolution:

1. On your boot drive, navigate to Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration

2. Copy the com.apple.Boot.plist to your Desktop and open it with TextEdit (you may want to create a separate backup copy in a different folder)

3. Insert the following lines after the Timeout number line: (change 1920x1200 to whatever your standard resolution is)

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920×1200×32</string>

4. Save the file and copy back into the SystemConfiguration folder (it will ask for your password)

5. Reboot

This is simply a small cosmetic change. The white boot screen with the Apple logo will now be correctly-sized for your monitor's default resolution. The com.apple.Boot.plist file should now look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>	
<string>1920×1200×32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Notes:

You can also hack the Boot Screen Logo to some extent. It's a somewhat complicated process, but adds a nice bit of customization to your system. Details here:

http://www.dribin.org/dave/blog/archives/2...ot_image_intel/

Thanks WS12.

I re-did the install from scratch, currently Kalyway 10.5.2+Kalyway ComboUpdate 10.5.3+Apple10.5.4 Delta Update. I'm still getting the 'failed to load com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI' error, but it's booting up to the desktop for now.

The only things that I haven't installed are the SATA driver kexts, and the Processor.prefPane extra, because the 'Developer/Extras/PreferencesPanes' folder didn't show up on the boot drive after this last install. Not sure what happened there, but I will probably try again and try some different things.

Still not working properly: shut down, display changes (blue screens and reboots required) and my drives are Anaheim Ducks orange (blech!).

I eventually want to get an XP/OSX/Ubuntu triple-boot working properly, so I will look at the multi-boot guides more. I thought your guide was a good way to get my feet wet for the experience of 'success', and whet the appetite for more hacking :P .

Did you check the box for the USB Fix during the Kalyway 10.5.2 installation?

The Processor.prefPane doesn't install automatically. You have to install the CHUD package first, which then allows you to install the Processor.prefPane file. This will fix your shutdown issue, along with the PowerOff Fix script.

For the orange drives, you need to install the AHCI kexts. They are included in the tutorial package.

Basically, it boils down to following the guide completely, step-by-step. My next guide will include a printable checklist to help you out, because the steps get kind of long.

the onboard ethernet is working conrrectly with this board? im planning on buying one. Also , my geforce 8600gt is supporte? which video driver installer i need to use? nvinstaller?

thanx

No, it does not work correctly. Buy this card for Ethernet:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833180026

I don't know if the 8600GT is supported by NVinstaller. I would recommend browsing the Graphics Forum and post a question if you can't find anything:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=151

How to mod your NVIDIA Graphics Card model name: (for NVinstaller users)

1. On your boot drive, navigate to System>Library>Extensions

2. Copy NVinject.kext to your desktop (you may want to make an additional copy in another folder for backup)

3. Right-click on NVinject.kext to Show Package Contents, then click on the Contents folder and open Info.plist with TextEdit

4. Scroll down until you find the line "<string>Graphics by NVIDIA</string>" and change to your make and model (for example <string>NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 DDL</string>) and then save the file

5. Use Kext Helper to install the modified NVinject.kext (do NOT drag and drop the NVinject.kext file into the Extensions folder - use Kext Helper!!)

6. Reboot

AFAIK this is for cosmetic purposes only (it changes the System Profiler entry from "Graphics by NVIDIA" to whatever you type in). Your video card will now show the proper name in System Profiler. For example, here is my Quadro FX 5600 card:

post-157099-1217460143_thumb.png

weaksauce12, glad to report that my Logitech S530 set works superbly on my hack. It recognizes everything. However, the problem is now I find myself wanting a white/aluminum monitor and a white computer case. :D

Weaksauce

My Sound is still not working, I installed the driver it said reboot. After reboot same thing no sound, I tried to play itunes didnt even play the files.

I went to sound preferences, checked devices there is nothing all empy output and input. Everything that can be ticked is grey color:(

Need help

I still haven't managed a work-around for a remote wake up from sleep. (ie. WakeOnLan, WakeUp)

I can see there being potential problems with this considering the quirk of this machine to only wake from power button press.

Perhaps there is an alternative? The only one I can think of is something like X10 plugs coupled with an auto-power up setting in BOIS, but that seems kind of drastic.

How to boot Kalyway 10.5.2 from a USB Flash Drive: Special thanks to Onetrack for the trick

This cuts the install time in half.

1. Set the BIOS to boot from USB-HDD first and set your USB drive as the first boot drive (you need BOTH settings!)

2. Boot to the Leopard desktop

3. Put your Kalyway 10.5.2 DMG on the desktop

4. Insert your USB Flash Drive

5. In Disk Utility, click on the Flash Drive (the root, not the partition name)

a. Click on the Restore tab

b. Select your Kalyway DMG as the Source (you can drag-and-drop the files for both this and the next step)

c. Select your Flash Drive (the partition name, not the root this time) as the Destination

d. Check the "Erase Destination" box

e. Click the Start button

6. Upon completion, install Chameleon EFI to the USB Flash Drive (available in the original tutorial package, in the Cloning folder)

7. Reboot and Kalyway will boot up (follow the guide from there)

You need, at minimum, a 4GB USB Flash Drive. Those run about $15 on Newegg. I have a fast model; it only took about 10 minutes to install Leopard, plus the initial bootup to Kalyway was extremely fast. Note that the "one minute remaining" message during installation still takes forever, haha. This is just a simple trick to increase the speed at which Leopard is installed. Enjoy!

Did you check the box for the USB Fix during the Kalyway 10.5.2 installation?

The Processor.prefPane doesn't install automatically. You have to install the CHUD package first, which then allows you to install the Processor.prefPane file. This will fix your shutdown issue, along with the PowerOff Fix script.

For the orange drives, you need to install the AHCI kexts. They are included in the tutorial package.

Basically, it boils down to following the guide completely, step-by-step. My next guide will include a printable checklist to help you out, because the steps get kind of long.

Yup. Followed everything step-by-step a few times, just to see where the system started not wanting to boot. The only thing I didn't do was install the AHCI kexts, cuz that's where I get the 'waiting for root device' message. I figured that the CHUD pkg was the one that allowed the Processor.prefPane to be installed, but it didn't add the option, even after a couple of tries and reboots.

But, like I said, I'll be playing around with it some more by doing re-installs, and trying different kext combinations. I still think this is a good guide already, I just need to learn some troubleshooting and hacking tricks on the OS. Also, I just wanted to point out that in the BIOS settings under Advanced BIOS Features, I don't have the options for 'CPU EIST Function' or 'Virtualization Technology'. I'm using the v2 board with BIOS F7, and I'm not ready to try F8 yet. That maybe why my system is a little off with the install.

Also, I just wanted to point out that in the BIOS settings under Advanced BIOS Features, I don't have the options for 'CPU EIST Function' or 'Virtualization Technology'. I'm using the v2 board with BIOS F7, and I'm not ready to try F8 yet. That maybe why my system is a little off with the install.
It's probably to do with your processor. What chip do you have? Virtualization is only supported in some Intel Core 2 processors. The dual cores don't have it, and certainly the older Pentium 4's do not. Thus you will not see options for it in the BIOS is a chip without support for that technology is not present. Similar thing for EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology). Your chip might just not support that feature.

All of the latest updates are working fine on my system, including yesterday's Security Update 2008-005 v1.0 update.

Just wanted to let you know that this worked perfectly for me. Only hickup was the need to remove nvinjectGO.kext, for some reason it got installed and QE wasnt working. but its all good in my hood now =D

That's odd - what video card are you running?

Yup. Followed everything step-by-step a few times, just to see where the system started not wanting to boot. The only thing I didn't do was install the AHCI kexts, cuz that's where I get the 'waiting for root device' message. I figured that the CHUD pkg was the one that allowed the Processor.prefPane to be installed, but it didn't add the option, even after a couple of tries and reboots.

But, like I said, I'll be playing around with it some more by doing re-installs, and trying different kext combinations. I still think this is a good guide already, I just need to learn some troubleshooting and hacking tricks on the OS. Also, I just wanted to point out that in the BIOS settings under Advanced BIOS Features, I don't have the options for 'CPU EIST Function' or 'Virtualization Technology'. I'm using the v2 board with BIOS F7, and I'm not ready to try F8 yet. That maybe why my system is a little off with the install.

Hmm...a v2 board with the F7 BIOS should be exactly the same as my system. Can you try reinstalling the F7 BIOS? It's included in the tutorial package, or you can get it directly from Gigabyte's website.

Also, give me your full system specs, hardware-wise.

It's probably to do with your processor. What chip do you have? Virtualization is only supported in some Intel Core 2 processors. The dual cores don't have it, and certainly the older Pentium 4's do not. Thus you will not see options for it in the BIOS is a chip without support for that technology is not present. Similar thing for EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology). Your chip might just not support that feature.

That's a good point. virtualwabbits, what CPU are you running?

This Guide is Great !!

I just received my parts today.

Everything works. No problems at all.

Thank you Weaksauce

Awesome! What's your hardware setup in your new rig?

Mine worked well. Here's the proof

Glad to hear it! Did the NVinstaller package work for your 7200GS?

I still haven't managed a work-around for a remote wake up from sleep. (ie. WakeOnLan, WakeUp)

I can see there being potential problems with this considering the quirk of this machine to only wake from power button press.

Perhaps there is an alternative? The only one I can think of is something like X10 plugs coupled with an auto-power up setting in BOIS, but that seems kind of drastic.

I'll give these two apps a try tonight for you!