[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

Thanks onetrack! Yeah, let's try to keep things in scope here. If you would like to test my guide out on a Rev.1 board, EP35 board, or similar board, let me know what your results are. If it's the same or pretty close I'd be happy to update my guide to include them. I only have access to the DS3L Rev.2, so that's all I am confident in giving information out on.

I am working on getting the Vanilla kernel to work with our boards using my Kalyway guide (special thanks to stella here!). I'm using Vanilla right now on 10.5.4 and it seems to be working well. Shutdown is a little more problematic, but Restart can definitely be fixed. In addition to restart/shutdown, this should also fix our little DVD hanging problem. I am also working on fixing Bluetooth (got kexts from a non-Kaly DS3L install) and cutting down the extensions installed after updating to 10.5.3. Once I get those things figured out, I will update the guide for 10.5.4. The new download bundle will include the updated kexts and also a copy of Memtest86+ in ISO format so you don't have to download it separately.

I finished my own system tonight. Here are the specs:

10.5.4 + Vanilla kernel

Q6600 @ 3.01ghz with 120mm Scythe Infinity cooler

8GB DDR2-800

300gb 10,000-rpm Velicoraptor SATA boot drive

768mb 8800GTX @ Quadro FX 5600

DVD burner

3.5" Card Reader

Encore PCI Gigabit NIC

Everything is working very nicely. I currently have all of the slots filled with cards (3 PCI cards & 3 PCI-e cards), so it's a tad crowded. I'm backing up and transferring my files so that I can setup RAID arrays. The new setup will include:

16x PCIe - Quadro FX 5600

1x PCIe #1 - 2-port SATA RAID card

1x PCIe #2 - 2-port SATA RAID card

PCI #1 - 6-port USB card

PCI #2 - 3-port Firewire 400 card

PCI #3 - Encore Gigabit NIC

Dual RAID cards worked fine on my Bad Axe 2 system, so they shouldn't present a problem once I install the drivers tomorrow. I'll be running two 500-gig drives on each in stripes for a big, fast 1TB array on each card (for HD video editing). I'll also have a 500-gig drive for Time Machine backup of the 300gb boot drive, for a total of 6 hard drives and 1 DVD drive. The internal card reader is working fine off one of the internal USB ports on the motherboard. I'm building my third DS3L-based system tomorrow and will try the updated kexts on that as well. It's a lighter-weight machine consisting of a 2.0ghz Allendale @ 2.8ghz, 2 gigs of RAM, and a 256mb 7900GT video card. Very powerful for sub-$500, so if you're looking for a budget box with some power under the hood, this is a good route to go. Here are the benchmarks from my overclocked Quadro system:

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/68106

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=3006...;setCookie=true

If you're looking for hard drives, there are a lot of great options out there right now. If you need some decent capacity, 500-gig drives are running between $60-$80 which is a steal for that much space. If you want speed and capacity on a budget, there is a special drive from Western Digital, the 640gb drive, which is said to be both quiet and fast and have more room than a 500-gig drive. Plus it's cheap - under $100. Newegg has it for $89:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136218

Then of course the 1TB drives. My wife's system has the Samsung F1 1TB drives, which are currently the fastest 1TB drives available. My Raptor is fairly noisy (they sound like older hard drives, click-click-click) and her F1's are silent. Those go for around $180, which is also a steal - one million megabytes for under $200! Also, Seagate just announced 1.5TB drives, due out this August:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/10/seagate...-1-5tb-of-love/

So there are definitely a lot of options and expansion opportunities with this board. My only hope right now is that we can get it 100% Vanilla on 10.5.4 and have everything working. Oh, and I'll also include the Psystar driver for the Onboard Ethernet in the next tutorial package update in case you don't mind the 5-10 second Ethernet delay after waking from sleep.

Nice geekbench score! I get 2200 on my Athlon X2 system. Btw, how hot does your overclocked Q6600 run? That processor looks really promising but I'm still a bit worried about heat and power consumption. Especially if I overclock.

Hmm, I tried to install Temperature Monitor under 10.5.4 and got that sound error:

Temperature Monitor has detected that important parts of the speech output subsystem are severely damaged. This problem will cause programs which are using speech features to crash. Please restore your operating system to a working state before using this application.

Maybe it has to be installed under 10.5.2? Odd.

Overclocked to 3.01ghz, my Q6600 runs under 40C with my 120mm cooler. I definitely recommend upgrading the CPU cooler if you plan on overclocking. And I definitely recommend overclocking - I've had good success with every chip I've tried (a couple Q6600's and an Allendale). This board is a beast for this type of stuff, just make sure you get proper cooling! :(

Temperature Monitor has detected that important parts of the speech output subsystem are severely damaged. This problem will cause programs which are using speech features to crash. Please restore your operating system to a working state before using this application.
Go to System - Speech -Change the system voice from default to other choice: Bruce or Fred. Then Temperature Monitor works just fine. The speech engine has been removed in Kalyway distro, I think.

I used this new driver for soundhttp://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112740Looking forward to reading V 2.0 of your tutorial. Thanks

What cooler have you got then? I'm getting a Thermaltake Sonic Tower, a tall heatpipe monster. And there's a 120 mm fan next to it so I think I'll be alright.

My PSU is only 300W, but it's a high quality one.

120mm Scythe Infinity cooler.

My wife's Q6600 system with 3 drives (2 HDD & 1 DVD) weighs in at about 220w at 100% on all cores, including the 320mb 8800GTS. Electronics are getting crazy efficient lately...and it isn't even a 45nm chip!

I vacuumed my CPU cooler and now the temp is down to 37 idle and 55 load. biggrin.gif

Vacuumed? What's that?

Go to System - Speech -Change the system voice from default to other choice: Bruce or Fred. Then Temperature Monitor works just fine. The speech engine has been removed in Kalyway distro, I think.

I used this new driver for soundhttp://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112740Looking forward to reading V 2.0 of your tutorial. Thanks

Ah, the voice change worked perfect - thanks mucho! :D

I'd advise skipping that version of the audio driver; stella has tested it on both the DS3L and on the Lanparty and it causes a slight breakup of the audio. The one in my tutorial package is the best available at the moment :wacko:

My wife's Q6600 system with 3 drives (2 HDD & 1 DVD) weighs in at about 220w at 100% on all cores, including the 320mb 8800GTS. Electronics are getting crazy efficient lately...and it isn't even a 45nm chip!

My system (see sig) draws 77W @ idle and 133W @ load in XP. Funny thing is, in OS X it's 110W @ idle. :) There are more processes running and the GUI is more demanding, but still...it's crazy. I'll see where it lands @ 100% load.

I cancelled the Q6600. Figured I should get a cooler and more modern CPU right away since I've never upgraded the CPU in any of my computers ever (as soon as I need a faster one the rest of the system is obsolete anyway). Right now I'm choosing between E8400, Q9300 and Q9450.

Vacuumed? What's that?

1280600-01.jpg

My system (see sig) draws 77W @ idle and 133W @ load in XP. Funny thing is, in OS X it's 110W @ idle. :) There are more processes running and the GUI is more demanding, but still...it's crazy. I'll see where it lands @ 100% load.

I cancelled the Q6600. Figured I should get a cooler and more modern CPU right away since I've never upgraded the CPU in any of my computers ever (as soon as I need a faster one the rest of the system is obsolete anyway). Right now I'm choosing between E8400, Q9300 and Q9450.

FYI, one of the reasons I stuck with the Q6600 (besides being 65nm instead of the newer 45nm) is because of it's excellent overclocking abilities. The G0 series (advertised at some shops) are just crazy overclockers. With my 120mm cooler, I haven't gotten above 60C on all 4 cores under 100% load (53-59). It runs well under 40C on idle (33-37)! As far as your processor choices go, it's a simple question - do you want speed or power? If you want speed, get the E8400 - as a 45nm chip, it runs cooler and overclocks like crazy. Tons of people have been getting 4ghz on that little chip. If you want power, you'll want to go Quad-core - it won't clock as high as the E8400 (unless you get a miracle chip or have a ridiculous cooling system), but you'll get 4 cores instead of 2, and if you're doing processor-intensive activities such as Video Editing, you'll definitely want a Quad.

imagesghostbusters-3-small.jpg

booyah :D

Ghostbusters ftw!

Intel will drop the prices soon so I've decided to wait. The other parts have been delayed anyway, so...

220W seems like an awful lot. I wouldn't want my power consumption to increase by 100W just like that. :) How much is it at stock speed?

On Gigabyte site there are some new Beta BIOS firmwares (Support Intel 45nm Wolfdale E8xxx and Yorkfield Q9xxx series CPU).

My CPU is an E8400, but my board is with F7 (no problems so far ;) )

Does anyone tried those BIOSes?

Hey guys, first post here, been reading around trying to find the best, cheapest Hackintosh build. Here is a list of parts I've selected from this tutorial, would anyone be able to tell me if they are all compatible? I'm pretty sure everything is good to go, but just want a professional opinion ;)

The motherboard that this guide follows:

Motherboard

Case with power supply:

Case

ZOTAC nVidia 7300GT Video Card

7300GT

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 2 GHz

E2180

2GB STT DDR2-800MHz RAM

RAM

Hitachi 500GB SATA2 Hard Drive

500 GB

Lite-On 20X SATA DVD Burner

Lite-On

For a grand total of about $410, including shipping. Appreciate anyone who takes the time to check over these parts. Also, this will be my first time constructing a computer from parts. I would assume it would be somewhat easy, but is there anything I should know before diving into this project? I am well versed in computers, but mostly in the usage of them, as opposed to the physical components. There is an option on the NewBiz site to have the parts assembled for $35, should I just do this, or assemble myself?

Thanks for the help!

On Gigabyte site there are some new Beta BIOS firmwares (Support Intel 45nm Wolfdale E8xxx and Yorkfield Q9xxx series CPU).

My CPU is an E8400, but my board is with F7 (no problems so far :o )

Does anyone tried those BIOSes?

I haven't tried any of the new Beta BIOS's, but from reading up on forums the E8400 works as far back as the F6 BIOS. I'm wondering if there is enhanced support for the new chips in the latest BIOS's?

Hey guys, first post here, been reading around trying to find the best, cheapest Hackintosh build. Here is a list of parts I've selected from this tutorial, would anyone be able to tell me if they are all compatible? I'm pretty sure everything is good to go, but just want a professional opinion :D

The motherboard that this guide follows:

Motherboard

Case with power supply:

Case

ZOTAC nVidia 7300GT Video Card

7300GT

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 2 GHz

E2180

2GB STT DDR2-800MHz RAM

RAM

Hitachi 500GB SATA2 Hard Drive

500 GB

Lite-On 20X SATA DVD Burner

Lite-On

For a grand total of about $410, including shipping. Appreciate anyone who takes the time to check over these parts. Also, this will be my first time constructing a computer from parts. I would assume it would be somewhat easy, but is there anything I should know before diving into this project? I am well versed in computers, but mostly in the usage of them, as opposed to the physical components. There is an option on the NewBiz site to have the parts assembled for $35, should I just do this, or assemble myself?

Thanks for the help!

Absolutely beautiful, my third DS3L box is almost the exact same setup. I have a 256mb 7300GT in another machine and it works perfectly as welll; the NVinstaller software in my package should work perfectly with your video card. Also NewBiiz (formerly eWiz) is a very good company to order from; I've done tons of business with them in the past without a hitch. This setup will blow the Mac Mini out of the water :D

$35 is not a bad price to have it assembled...although, it would be a good learning experience to do it yourself, AND you will know exactly how to replace or upgrade any of the parts you want - if the PSU or Hard Drive dies, it will be a cinch for you to replace since you installed it yourself!

Oh, and if your budget allows it, I'd suggest picking up another 2GB kit for a total of 4GB in your machine. 2GB is great but 4GB really makes things fly, especially if you plan on running Windows in a Virtual Machine. Or having a lot of tabs open in your browser. Or basically anything :wacko:

Thanks for the response weaksauce! I'll probably end up just building it myself, as it is almost $60 alone for the shipping, and the experience will also be valuable in the future, as you stated. I'll also consider 2GB more of RAM, but may just hold off for a couple months (college is expensive :wallbash: ).

Will post back here once everything is up and running, thanks for the great guide!

Thanks for the response weaksauce! I'll probably end up just building it myself, as it is almost $60 alone for the shipping, and the experience will also be valuable in the future, as you stated. I'll also consider 2GB more of RAM, but may just hold off for a couple months (college is expensive :blink: ).

Will post back here once everything is up and running, thanks for the great guide!

No problem! Even with 2 gigs, your machine will fly! Leopard is much more efficient than Vista and 2 gigs will feel like a lot more, especially if you overclock that E2180 and give it a lil more juice :)

I'm hammering away on the 10.5.4 updates and should have it out within the next week. Having a hard time narrowing down exactly which kexts I need for the AHCI drivers, hehe. But things are looking good for a Vanilla kernel thanks to stella!

I haven't tried any of the new Beta BIOS's, but from reading up on forums the E8400 works as far back as the F6 BIOS. I'm wondering if there is enhanced support for the new chips in the latest BIOS's?

Well I will try and report back, I have this board just a week ago, how the virtual bios works?

Weaksauce...I wanna start of by saying you are a large reason why I am going to build this thing. But before you do it, I will call myself a noob. What I require to do this succesffullly is a guide like yours, detailed. I pretty much got the same parts you made for your wifes build:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

2 x pqi TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

2 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 750gb 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05 - OEM

ENCORE ENLGA-1320 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Ethernet Card

Antec Sonata III Case

OK, so I have two things I would like to address as far as my fears go in building this hackintosh....

1. I am reading a lot and trying to learn as mucha spossible as all the aprts arrive, I understand what kexts do but I am confused how to find the ones for my hardware. I am unsure where I find appropriate kext's and what to look out for as far as problems, or is installation of kext once i find the right one for ahrdware straightforward? also is there any other preparation that is not gone into detail in your guide? i wouldnt think so, seems like you got most covered, but as i said i am a noob...

2. I purchased the mobo from new biz or ebiz.com..This is the link.

I only realized this afterwards but the image they show is of rev 1.0. I emailed them after I made order and they were not helpful in the sense that they told me they had no idea and had no way of checking what revision i was to recieve... I am hoping their photo is just outdated, but if anyone purchased from them and recieved rev 2.0? as far as i can tell they have no explanation on their site of how many onboard usb they have...

weaksauce, or anyone else, when ya have the time to answer me to the ebst of your ability I would appreciate it very much, I am starting to feel I am getting a lil over my head but still want to succesfully build this system (need it for final cut but could never afford a mac pro..i guess i really cant afford a 900$ mistake either icon4.gif)..

Weaksauce...I wanna start of by saying you are a large reason why I am going to build this thing. But before you do it, I will call myself a noob. What I require to do this succesffullly is a guide like yours, detailed. I pretty much got the same parts you made for your wifes build:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

2 x pqi TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

2 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 750gb 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05 - OEM

ENCORE ENLGA-1320 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Ethernet Card

Antec Sonata III Case

OK, so I have two things I would like to address as far as my fears go in building this hackintosh....

1. I am reading a lot and trying to learn as mucha spossible as all the aprts arrive, I understand what kexts do but I am confused how to find the ones for my hardware. I am unsure where I find appropriate kext's and what to look out for as far as problems, or is installation of kext once i find the right one for ahrdware straightforward? also is there any other preparation that is not gone into detail in your guide? i wouldnt think so, seems like you got most covered, but as i said i am a noob...

2. I purchased the mobo from new biz or ebiz.com..This is the link.

I only realized this afterwards but the image they show is of rev 1.0. I emailed them after I made order and they were not helpful in the sense that they told me they had no idea and had no way of checking what revision i was to recieve... I am hoping their photo is just outdated, but if anyone purchased from them and recieved rev 2.0? as far as i can tell they have no explanation on their site of how many onboard usb they have...

weaksauce, or anyone else, when ya have the time to answer me to the ebst of your ability I would appreciate it very much, I am starting to feel I am getting a lil over my head but still want to succesfully build this system (need it for final cut but could never afford a mac pro..i guess i really cant afford a 900$ mistake either icon4.gif)..

I believe that eWiz *used* to sell the Rev.2, but now the description is saying 4 USB ports instead of 6, so it looks like they're selling the Rev.1. Good catch! There is an ebay seller, "macpalace7", who sells the Rev.2 boards. I've bought several from that seller; the shipping is kind of slow (1 week+) but they are the correct version:

http://tinyurl.com/5va4lb

The build looks good! What video card are you planning on using? Also, you may want an aftermarket CPU cooler if you are planning on overclocking, and if you're getting a Q6600 there's no reason not to!

As far as kexts go, you have everything you need in my package with the exception of your video card, unless you're using an Nvidia card, in which case NVinstaller (included in my tutorial package) should do the trick. A kext is basically the same thing as a "driver" in Windows, if you're familiar with that.

Is this your first time building a computer? If so, that will probably be the most difficult part of the process. Luckily, it's pretty easy. All you need is a screwdriver (#2 Philips iirc). Here are the basic steps:

1. Install the CPU & Cooler on the motherboard and hook up the fan (make sure there is a thermal pad or paste between the CPU and the cooler)

2. Install the RAM on the motherboard

3. Install the Motherboard inside the case using the included screws (put in the backplate first, for the ports on the rear)

4. Install the Video Card and Ethernet card (they plug in like the old Nintendo cartridges)

5. Install the DVD drive and Hard Drive

6. Wire everything in and then put them together neatly (I use plastic zipties to increase airflow)

• -case fan
    -both motherboard power plugs (large and small)
    -video card (if it requires it)
    -data and power for DVD and Hard Drives
    -USB connector (front of case to the motherboard)
    -case buttons (power, restart, LEDs, speaker)

7. Boot up and configure the BIOS according to my settings in the tutorial

8. Download Memtest86+, burn to a CD, and run overnight (this will ensure that your memory is good and will do some burn-in on your system to see if there are any other errors, like maybe a wire gets sucked into a fan and rattles when your turn the system on)

That's it! It's a fun little afternoon project :)

Sorry I wanted to ask since I activated AHCI, my computer is taking like 30 seconds to switch off after I press shut down button in Vista. Monitor goes off, still taking 30 sec to switch off.

On default settings in BIOS it {censored}ches off instanly almost.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Sorry I wanted to ask since I activated AHCI, my computer is taking like 30 seconds to switch off after I press shut down button in Vista. Monitor goes off, still taking 30 sec to switch off.

On default settings in BIOS it {censored}ches off instanly almost.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

This seems to be a common problem - AHCI making Vista slow. Just curious, do you have the latest chipset drivers for Vista?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2629

I believe that eWiz *used* to sell the Rev.2, but now the description is saying 4 USB ports instead of 6, so it looks like they're selling the Rev.1. Good catch! There is an ebay seller, "macpalace7", who sells the Rev.2 boards. I've bought several from that seller; the shipping is kind of slow (1 week+) but they are the correct version:

http://tinyurl.com/5va4lb

The build looks good! What video card are you planning on using? Also, you may want an aftermarket CPU cooler if you are planning on overclocking, and if you're getting a Q6600 there's no reason not to!

As far as kexts go, you have everything you need in my package with the exception of your video card, unless you're using an Nvidia card, in which case NVinstaller (included in my tutorial package) should do the trick. A kext is basically the same thing as a "driver" in Windows, if you're familiar with that.

Is this your first time building a computer? If so, that will probably be the most difficult part of the process. Luckily, it's pretty easy. All you need is a screwdriver (#2 Philips iirc). Here are the basic steps:

1. Install the CPU & Cooler on the motherboard and hook up the fan (make sure there is a thermal pad or paste between the CPU and the cooler)

2. Install the RAM on the motherboard

3. Install the Motherboard inside the case using the included screws (put in the backplate first, for the ports on the rear)

4. Install the Video Card and Ethernet card (they plug in like the old Nintendo cartridges)

5. Install the DVD drive and Hard Drive

6. Wire everything in and then put them together neatly (I use plastic zipties to increase airflow)

• -case fan
    -both motherboard power plugs (large and small)
    -video card (if it requires it)
    -data and power for DVD and Hard Drives
    -USB connector (front of case to the motherboard)
    -case buttons (power, restart, LEDs, speaker)

7. Boot up and configure the BIOS according to my settings in the tutorial

8. Download Memtest86+, burn to a CD, and run overnight (this will ensure that your memory is good and will do some burn-in on your system to see if there are any other errors, like maybe a wire gets sucked into a fan and rattles when your turn the system on)

That's it! It's a fun little afternoon project :)

thanks for the great answers!

i am going to use:

EVGA GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

hope i have the patience to wait another week for motherboard from ebay guy! thanks for his link...

thanks for the great answers!

i am going to use:

EVGA GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

hope i have the patience to wait another week for motherboard from ebay guy! thanks for his link...

Yup I've ordered like 4 boards from him, shipping is a tad slow and he doesn't really communicate with you, but all of my boards have arrived new-in-box and work like a charm. Plus the price is great!

Here is a link to the open-source Psytar Ethernet driver; it will allow Onboard Ethernet to work successfully. I believe the way it works is that after you wake from sleep, it simply reloads DHCP (release-renew) automatically instead of having to do it manually. It takes 5-8 seconds for the Ethernet to wake, but it does work:

http://rapidshare.com/files/129404309/Real...0.kext.zip.html

If you want instant Ethernet upon wake from sleep, just snag that $8 Encore Gigabit card. If you can live with a measly 8 seconds or need all 3 PCI ports for other cards, use the Psytar driver. Personally I'm a nut and want everything to work instantly all the time, so I have an Encore card haha.

I am using the "vanilla" kext for the NIC card, it loads the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext, I noticed no problems so far, but could be better to install the R1000.kext?

This seems to be a common problem - AHCI making Vista slow. Just curious, do you have the latest chipset drivers for Vista?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2629

Yeah I do, I just downloaded a fresh copy before I installed my Vista:( Its kinda sux you know, I mean the boot takes longer cuz of the sub-bios process and then the shut down takes another 30 secs or so:(

How is the performance overall?

May be there is somekind of settings in the BIOS that causes it to shut down slower? I mean exept for AHCI

P.S what about 10.5.4 update (now Iam at Kalyway 10.5.2 + combo update 10.5.3)