[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

No CD to install...at least for MobileMe. MobileMe replaces Dot Mac so I'm assuming Software Update would automatically replace the old Dot Mac software with the new MobileMe. Yes it syncs with the Apple servers...

Update.....

Crud! I just tried to sync to the Apple servers to backup my files and it will not let me "Register the Computer". Don't know if this is MobileMe glitch or a Hackintosh blocking issue.

I can still upload files via the Finder windows but it looks like I can't Sync my Bookmarks and Address book and the rest. I'll check the Apple boards to see if this is common.

FWIW, I did some research and also talked to a buddy with a MobileMe account and apparently they are still having some major issues. So, it may not be you - it might just be Apple. My wife has a Dot Mac (now MobileMe, I guess) account as well as a Macbook and a Hackintosh, so when we get home next week I'll give it a shot on both to see if things work and sync up properly.

I was just over at the Apple Discussion boards and it looks like not being able to register the computer is a too common problem.

One solution I'll try later is:

"Delete your .Mac preferences, then restart... More specifically, 'com.apple.DotMacSync.plist', 'com.apple.dotmactranslator.plst', and 'dotmacsync.log'"

I'll give an update of the progress...but for some the above fix didn't work.

I was just over at the Apple Discussion boards and it looks like not being able to register the computer is a too common problem.

One solution I'll try later is:

"Delete your .Mac preferences, then restart... More specifically, 'com.apple.DotMacSync.plist', 'com.apple.dotmactranslator.plst', and 'dotmacsync.log'"

I'll give an update of the progress...but for some the above fix didn't work.

Apple really botched the upgrade. I think they underestimated how big their user group is now...they were just ranked #3, outsold only by Dell and HP. Also, they've been really focused on the iPhone 3G and the 2.0 software (which is buggy as well)...I think things were just put on too tight of a deadline. It looks like Apple is offering free service extensions as an apology for the problems. I know my wife hasn't been too happy with it...she uses her Mac account for business use and some emails haven't been getting through; sometimes her outgoing emails don't arrive for hours after she sends them. I don't think her MobileMe page (the thing that lets you read emails and whatnot) started working until just the other day, either.

Lots of upset people over at the Apple MobileMe discussion boards. Some solutions work for some but not others....

Yeah Apple added free 30 days to all .mac/MobileMe accounts.

My mac didn't have the three files to delete so I couldn't do that.

Here's the solution that worked for me!

I signed out of my MobileMe account via the System Preferences, ran Repair Permissions and logged in using "myaccount@me.com" not "myaccount" or "myaccount@mac.com"

Hope this helps someone.

Weaksauce; excellent tut m8!!

One Question: Has the digital out (coax/optical) been tested for passthrough/5.1 surround sound?

Reason for asking is I'm building a HTPC for a M8 of mine and he needs the passthrough for DD and DTS. I read that 2.1 has been tested & works but couldn't find any ref. to DD/DTS passthrough.

This looks like the perfect solution for him if digital out will play with others!

Thanks,

Lots of upset people over at the Apple MobileMe discussion boards. Some solutions work for some but not others....

Yeah Apple added free 30 days to all .mac/MobileMe accounts.

My mac didn't have the three files to delete so I couldn't do that.

Here's the solution that worked for me!

I signed out of my MobileMe account via the System Preferences, ran Repair Permissions and logged in using "myaccount@me.com" not "myaccount" or "myaccount@mac.com"

Hope this helps someone.

Fantastic! You should post that up as a Mini Guide here in the Genius Bar...I'm sure plenty of other people are having problems.

Weaksauce; excellent tut m8!!

One Question: Has the digital out (coax/optical) been tested for passthrough/5.1 surround sound?

Reason for asking is I'm building a HTPC for a M8 of mine and he needs the passthrough for DD and DTS. I read that 2.1 has been tested & works but couldn't find any ref. to DD/DTS passthrough.

This looks like the perfect solution for him if digital out will play with others!

Thanks! :D

I haven't tried 5.1. I'll be home next week and I pulled out my HT receiver, so I'll test both optical and coaxial if you can stand waiting a bit. Alternatively, you could always get a digital 5.1 sound card (like a USB or Firewire model).

I'm curious, are you going to be running Front Row or Plex on it? (or something else?)

I haven't tried TV output, I'll add that to my To-Do list.

Be sure to research your 512mb 8800GT...512mb cards seem to be having issues still. Check out the Graphics sub-forum here on IM.

That would be a great card for Final Cut Pro...pretty much anything above integrated video is fantastic ;)

Thanks, man.

Weaksauce12 its my ASUS EN9600GT 512mb graphics not working, i know there is no workaround for this card as of now so right now i am left with 32mb of graphics memory but its ok since i will just wait until a fix is avaliable.

Ok how do i check if i am running a vanilla Mac OS X, is it the kernel or the whole OS? Secondly sleep is not working, if i put to sleep the monitor wont go off but by right it should right?

And lastly is i have audio available thru my headphone but when i check under system profiler the audio built-in shows as "No Built-in Audio."

Other than that all works and thanks to you weaksauce12 for the help and tutorial.

May i check with you ppl here, i am getting a ASUS EN800GTS 320mb card do you think its supported in 10.5.4? Also which one should i use for the drivers, NVkush or NVinject etc etc?

Regards

According to the compatibility list

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...L_10.5.2#nVIDIA

There are a bunch of 320 8800GTS cards working. I dont see that specific one thoguh

According to the compatibility list

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...L_10.5.2#nVIDIA

There are a bunch of 320 8800GTS cards working. I dont see that specific one thoguh

What i am thinking is so long the support for 8xxx series card is available then it doesn't matter which company the card is from.

The NVDANV50HAL.kext has support for 8xxx series card so i suppose it should be ok but i just need to confirm this.

Thanks.

Weaksauce12,

Whenever my hackintosh goes to sleep and comes back from sleep the internet connection is not available and i got to renew the DHCP. This happen even after i applied your supplied ethernet kexts and even before applying it.

So may i ask how i prevent it from sleeping??

Thanks

Weaksauce12,

Whenever my hackintosh goes to sleep and comes back from sleep the internet connection is not available and i got to renew the DHCP. This happen even after i applied your supplied ethernet kexts and even before applying it.

Thanks

That info, and other Mac101 info is available here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2490?viewlocale=en_US#l5. Move the top slider in the Energy Saver preferences all the way to the right.

BTW, the same thing happened to me, but I was able to get around it by using the "DHCP with manual address" option in Network Preferences. Using a static IP did not work to "revive" the connection after wake from sleep, and DHCP dropped the connection. However, DHCP with manual address did the trick (at least so far).

(Regarding MobileMe Fix)Fantastic! You should post that up as a Mini Guide here in the Genius Bar...I'm sure plenty of other people are having problems.

Thanks! :(

I thought about that, but that solution only works for some and not others...it's a crapshoot trying to get MobileMe running!

Regarding MobileMe updating from DotMac...looks like it's not an automatic update via Software Update. MobileMe update is activated at the System Preferences > .Mac window

I never got the update window....

Here's a copy and paste from the Apple site how to update to MobileMe:

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Follow these steps to ensure all Mail functionality works as expected with MobileMe.

Quit Mail if it's running.

Download and install the Mac OS X 10.5.4 Update or later (if you have not).

After updating and restarting, choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

Click .Mac. A dialog appears stating:

".Mac is now MobileMe

Complete your system update by going to Software Update and installing the Mac OS X Update for MobileMe.

You can use your existing .Mac member name and password to sign in to MobileMe."

Note: If you do not see this message, try again in about 24 hours.

Click the "Software Update..." button.

Download and install the "Mac OS X Update for MobileMe". This will install everything you need to get Leopard ready for MobileMe.

Weaksauce12 its my ASUS EN9600GT 512mb graphics not working, i know there is no workaround for this card as of now so right now i am left with 32mb of graphics memory but its ok since i will just wait until a fix is avaliable.

Ok how do i check if i am running a vanilla Mac OS X, is it the kernel or the whole OS? Secondly sleep is not working, if i put to sleep the monitor wont go off but by right it should right?

And lastly is i have audio available thru my headphone but when i check under system profiler the audio built-in shows as "No Built-in Audio."

Other than that all works and thanks to you weaksauce12 for the help and tutorial.

To show your kernel version, open Terminal and type in "uname -a" and hit enter. Among the other mumbo-jumbo you should see something like "Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.0". That means you have the Vanilla kernel.

Yeah, easiest solution is just to get a compatible video card. Again, the video card is a key component to having a compatible Hackintosh system.

Yes, System Profiler shows "No Built-in Audio". That is normal.

mobileme is working fine for me? I downloaded the torrent, installed it.. put in my info and synced away..

I wonder if it really detects that you have a Hackintosh or what...if it's Vanilla kernel, I don't see how that'd work. I'll mess with it when I get home.

May i check with you ppl here, i am getting a ASUS EN800GTS 320mb card do you think its supported in 10.5.4? Also which one should i use for the drivers, NVkush or NVinject etc etc?

Regards

I have a 320mb 8800GTS (made by XFX, I believe) and it works great. I just used NVinject and selected "320mb".

Weaksauce12,

Thanks

To prevent the computer from sleeping, open System Preferences and click on "Energy Saver". You can adjust the settings from there...just drag the slider all the way over to the right to put it on "Never Sleep".

I would suggest picking up the Encore PCI Network Card if you're having problems with the Onboard Ethernet. I'm going to label Onboard Ethernet as an experimental feature in the next guide update.

That info, and other Mac101 info is available here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2490?viewlocale=en_US#l5. Move the top slider in the Energy Saver preferences all the way to the right.

BTW, the same thing happened to me, but I was able to get around it by using the "DHCP with manual address" option in Network Preferences. Using a static IP did not work to "revive" the connection after wake from sleep, and DHCP dropped the connection. However, DHCP with manual address did the trick (at least so far).

Oh nice, thanks! I'll add that tip to the next guide update ;)

I thought about that, but that solution only works for some and not others...it's a crapshoot trying to get MobileMe running!

Regarding MobileMe updating from DotMac...looks like it's not an automatic update via Software Update. MobileMe update is activated at the System Preferences > .Mac window

I never got the update window....

Here's a copy and paste from the Apple site how to update to MobileMe:

<snip>

Awesome...I'll include this in the next guide update. Thanks!

Just a quick update to say that I got my DS3L board from ewiz.com and it is the rev 2.0

There was some question earlier in this thread that it was the earlier revision that they were shipping.

Good to know...I've heard they are shipping out both revisions, kind of luck of the draw...has anyone gotten a rev 1.0 from eWiz or has everyone gotten a 2.0 board?

weaksauce12, one more interesting thing I found in my installation process. I initially set up my partition map as GUID as you recommended. For some reason, OSX wouldn't boot without the kalyway DVD in the drive. I then tried to go MBR. Same issue. I then noticed that I had the system set to boot from CD/DVD, then hard drive, yet it was trying boot from the network. Aha. I was using the onboard Ethernet, and had left the Onboard Boot ROM enabled! Turned it off, and it boot straight from the HD. I'm confused as to why that would have been a issue, but it now works. Might want to make sure people disable that setting if they use the onboard NIC.

weaksauce12, one more interesting thing I found in my installation process. I initially set up my partition map as GUID as you recommended. For some reason, OSX wouldn't boot without the kalyway DVD in the drive. I then tried to go MBR. Same issue. I then noticed that I had the system set to boot from CD/DVD, then hard drive, yet it was trying boot from the network. Aha. I was using the onboard Ethernet, and had left the Onboard Boot ROM enabled! Turned it off, and it boot straight from the HD. I'm confused as to why that would have been a issue, but it now works. Might want to make sure people disable that setting if they use the onboard NIC.

Good to know, I've tagged this as an update in the next guide revision. This is why I post these threads...eventually we'll get all of the little bugs and kinks worked out so that everyone can have a perfect install from the get-go!

pcwiz found a great solution for getting PS/2 to work with the latest update of the guide. The new ACPI (which fixes Restart on Vanilla installs) breaks PS/2, but the solution for fixing that is simple. Chun-Nan has a folder with files that will fix it; simply drop the folder into the Contents/PlugIns folder of AppleACPIPlatform.kext (assuming you've installed the new one in my latest guide). Get it here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114578

pcwiz has made this even simpler with an auto-installer package which includes the APCI platform kext:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117359

Thanks for the great guide. I got my install working pretty well so far it seems.

I did have to go through several tries though. The first problem was the PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse issue. pcwiz's auto-installer fix wasn't posted when I was trying to figure out a fix so I had some difficulty there.

When that issue was fixed, I installed the kexts and audio/video drivers in steps 5 and 6, and rebooted the system. Everything was very laggy and onboard ethernet didn't work despite having installed the kext.

So I re-installed once more, but this time, I skipped step 5 entirely. The weird thing is, is that everything seems to be working just fine. I didn't even install the ethernet kext and it still works. Both my HD's are SATA and I don't seem to have any problems there. I don't have bluetooth devices so I haven't tried those.

but everything seems to be okay now. thanks for the guide ;)

if i have darwin version 9.2.0, i'm guessing i don't have vanilla? i haven't done the upgrade to 10.5.4 yet. my machine is running too flawlessly to really warrant it. Not sure if that makes a different or not but i followed the guide to the T.

One thing though, i'm still having problems with the sound as it's still showing up as "no audio".

pcwiz found a great solution for getting PS/2 to work with the latest update of the guide. The new ACPI (which fixes Restart on Vanilla installs) breaks PS/2, but the solution for fixing that is simple. Chun-Nan has a folder with files that will fix it; simply drop the folder into the Contents/PlugIns folder of AppleACPIPlatform.kext (assuming you've installed the new one in my latest guide). Get it here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114578

pcwiz has made this even simpler with an auto-installer package which includes the APCI platform kext:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117359

Thanks weaksauce12 for the work. You are the MAN :lol:

First of all let me tell you that I kinda folowed your guide (I didn't started from a clean install of 1.5.2) and at the end I was left without PS2 mouse and keyboard. Pluged some USB mouse and keyboard and it worked so I started messing with various ktex installs to fix this. This happend at 6am this morning and after this I had to go to work. I was reading the thread (the whole 12 pages) and I found no mention of the PS2 issue so I thought maybe because I have not started from a clean install. I was planing to to that tonight.

Happy to hear that I don't have to do everyting again from the start.

Thanks again for the work!

PS: I'm runing revision 8 of the Board.

Did you use the very latest version of the guide, with the USB fix? If not, install the USB fix here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

I have a Microsoft keyboard as well, and my Volume Buttons are recognized even without software. Before you try the USB fix, unplug the M$ Receiver and then boot up the computer. Once it's booted, try plugging the receiver into a different USB port. I had to move my Firewire card to a different after installation because it didn't recognize it initially after installation.

Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing has worked.
  • I am using the latest version of the guide. I did install the fix during installation.
  • Tried repairing permissions. Nada.
  • I tried shutting down, unplugging, restarting, then plugging back into a different port. Nada.
  • I looked at the /library/preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist file on my new hack, noted that my old hack had one entry of 1056-1741-0 that was not in the new one, so I added that to the new hack rebooted. Nada.
  • Tried reinstalling the Microsoft-Mouse-X-d203.dmg again. Nada.

Interestingly, I actually had my old hack HD intact. I booted up with the old HD back in, and voila! My volume keys were working just fine. It's not a hardware issue at all. If anyone has any more ideas, thanks. I'll try posting in the hardware forum also.

EDIT: OK, just thought I'd post some more interesting findings: I thought I'd work around the problem by using a Logitech set that I had (OK, so I stole my wife's S510). I installed the Logitech Control Center for OSX, rebooted and voila! Mouse recognized. KEYBOARD NOT RECOGNIZED. I can configure all the mouse behaviors I want, but not the keyboard. Now, I can't say for sure that this keyboard is compatible with the Logitech Control Center software since they don't have a compatibility listing on their site. However, it seems more than coincidental that two keyboards are not being recognized. Also noted that /library/preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist was not updated for a new keyboard. OK, must go to sleep now.

Thanks for the guide. Very simple, easy to follow, and straight forward. I have a fast hackintosh now. Everything works perfectly. I have the exact same mobo, but with a few hardware and bios differences. I had to get away from the slow and heavy hammer of Windows Sh :mellow: tsta.