[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

Hey aspot,

This may be the REV 2 MOBO on ewiz, not sure, but I would think as it is $1.15 more, but could be wrong. Maybe weaksauce would know better than I?

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P35DS3L

It appears that eWiz has changed it to Rev 1.0:

Ports: 12x USB 2.0 Ports (4 rear, 8 by headers); 2x PS/2 Ports; 1x Serial Port; 1x Parallel

Rev1 has 4 USB ports & Rev2 has 6 USB ports.

I am using the "vanilla" kext for the NIC card, it loads the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext, I noticed no problems so far, but could be better to install the R1000.kext?

Test this for me - put your machine to sleep (full sleep, not display sleep), then wake it up. Does Ethernet work after that? (using the "vanilla" kext)

Yeah I do, I just downloaded a fresh copy before I installed my Vista:( Its kinda sux you know, I mean the boot takes longer cuz of the sub-bios process and then the shut down takes another 30 secs or so:(

How is the performance overall?

May be there is somekind of settings in the BIOS that causes it to shut down slower? I mean exept for AHCI

P.S what about 10.5.4 update (now Iam at Kalyway 10.5.2 + combo update 10.5.3)

Well, AHCI on Leopard on the DS3L allows you to wake from sleep instantly, versus taking 10-20 seconds on non-AHCI. However, Vista appears to have a problem where AHCI causes slow shutdown. I'm not sure why this is; I'm not a Vista user on my desktop (I run XP in a VM). If I come across anything, I will post here and let you know!

I'm still putting together th 10.5.4 guide; there are a lot of little tweaks. Don't worry; I will provide a newbie guide as well as an upgrade path guide for people who already have 10.5.3 based on my original tutorial! :blink:

Test this for me - put your machine to sleep (full sleep, not display sleep), then wake it up. Does Ethernet work after that?

Yes it does no problem at all.

The R1000 looses its address (if it has DHCP, but pushing the "Renew DHCP Lease" button it gains an address again). And with Static IP address it works after sleep.

EDIT:

Does Temperature Monitor work for you? I only get the Disks temperatures.

Yes it does no problem at all.

The R1000 looses its address (if it has DHCP, but pushing the "Renew DHCP Lease" button it gains an address again). And with Static IP address it works after sleep.

EDIT:

Does Temperature Monitor work for you? I only get the Disks temperatures.

Okay second question, can you see iTunes shares or other Bonjour stuff (AFP servers etc.)?

Yes, Temperature Monitor works for me. I had to change the system voice to something other than the default voice, but yes, it does work. What is your install method? Kalyway? I noticed you're using Chameleon as well?

Weaksauce12

Okay in this case I wanted to ask one last thing, If I dont really mind about sleep (not planning to use that on my PC), which of the option in the BIOS should I keep by dafaul or change. So that way the Vista shutsdown quickly and Leopard can work properly but with no proper sleep function.

Weaksauce12

Okay in this case I wanted to ask one last thing, If I dont really mind about sleep (not planning to use that on my PC), which of the option in the BIOS should I keep by dafaul or change. So that way the Vista shutsdown quickly and Leopard can work properly but with no proper sleep function.

Disable AHCI; you may also have to disable Native SATA Mode, but try only disabling AHCI first. It will still sleep; Leopard will just take longer to wake from sleep (10+ seconds).

Thanks:) well Vista shuts off instantly on default bios settings:P u know for my gf I try to avoid so much hassle (bootloader is already a headache);) I dont mind about sleep as long as it works (I mean leopard).

Any chance of getting GeForce 9800GTX working on Leopard? Looked all over:(

Thanks:) well Vista shuts off instantly on default bios settings:P u know for my gf I try to avoid so much hassle (bootloader is already a headache):) I dont mind about sleep as long as it works (I mean leopard).

Any chance of getting GeForce 9800GTX working on Leopard? Looked all over:(

Really did you looked all over? -_-

A thread by aqua-mac is on the Graphics Cards Suborum at the Harware forum: 9800 GTX working in OSX86

My first RAID set is up (2x500gb). Averages about 125 MB/sec; my 300gb Raptor is about 120 MB/sec max. The 2-port PCI-e card is $25 on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816132008

Here is the driver page:

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/suppor...amp;osid=3&

Specifically you need the SATARAID5 driver:

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/siliconim...132r5_15160.zip

The RAID BIOS will appear after the AHCI BIOS. You can either Press CTRL+S or F4 to access it. From there you can setup RAID 0, RAID 1, or JBOD. RAID 0 is for speed (combines both drives to make one fast drive, but if one drive dies you lose everything) and RAID 1 is for safety (everything written to the first drive is written to the second drive, so if one dies you don't lose anything). I'm backing up my files so that I can setup the next pair of 500's as another RAID 0 set. One set for HD video capture & compression, the other set for HD editing. Yay for speed! :lol:

Hi. Been a long time lurker and think i'm finally ready to give this a try. I'm gonna be using weaksauces guide but just wanted a thumbs up with the hardware.

ATX Case

CPU

Ram

HDD

and MOBO from the eBay seller.

Also gonna add the networking card.

I hope i haven't strayed too far from the original.

Any input from anyone is greatly appreciated!

GPU

oh... and i forgot... the graphics

Hi. Been a long time lurker and think i'm finally ready to give this a try. I'm gonna be using weaksauces guide but just wanted a thumbs up with the hardware.

ATX Case

CPU

Ram

HDD

and MOBO from the eBay seller.

Also gonna add the networking card.

I hope i haven't strayed too far from the original.

Any input from anyone is greatly appreciated!

GPU

oh... and i forgot... the graphics

All you need is a DVD drive :thumbsup_anim:

Weaksauce... personal experience, do you recommend kalyway over leo4all? i have gotten a few suggestions that leo4all is superior for dual core systems?

Which one is easier to install or leaves less room for troubleshooting?

also I just obtained kalyway 10.5.2 as well as the combo update, besides the iso, the 10.5.2 download included the following:

folder called "ADD_KEXT_TO_DVD" ,inside that folder there is a a file called "Add_kext_to_dvd_boot.command" and a folder called "natit.kext", inside that a folder called "contents" inside that folder you i have "info.plist" and the 2 following folders.. "MacOS" & "Resources".

Do i just burn the iso to dvd and not worry about those otehr files...i know they are there for a reason but im not sure if it applies to me?...

if you need my parts, they are the following:

-EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

-GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard

-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

- pqi TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI26400

- 2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 750gb 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

- LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05

- ENCORE ENLGA-1320 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Ethernet Card

-Antec Sonata III case

I wanna give you as much info as possible so you dont think i expect you to look up which of my hardware requires kexts...so excuse how much i am writing.

i know that my video card requires the following: Patch (Punk92) + guide (bf2loser)

and for the gigabyte mobo:

• Audio: Works with patched AppleHDA
  • LAN: Works out of the box, Bonjour might need R1000 kext.
  • SATA & IDE: SATA woks OOB, AHCI works with all ports with This

I am also providing this info because i am a bit of noob who might be over his head here with 900$ worth of hardware and need some reassurance here....

Hope you can provide some insight....

Lataz

First off all: Really nice Guide Weaksauce!!!

I followed your guide step-by-step, but there are a few probs I discovered:

1. USB doesn't work correctly:

After I installed the 10.5.3 Combo Update with the modded 9.3 kernel, I noticed that my USB Drive didn't mount, my USB keyboard worked properly on the other hand. I found out that my kernel was 9.3.0 (uname -a in terminal), but my system.kext was still at 9.2.0.

After searching the forum I foudn a threat were other guys had the same problem. I downloaded the usb_fix and downgraded my kernel en my system.kext to 9.2.2. Now USB is working correctly.

2. Shutdown doesn't work properly:

When I shutdown my hack, the fans of the video card and psu are still running. I tried to solve this problem using the poweroff_fix, but it didn't solve it. Maybe you guys have an idea... Do you think this has something to do with this?

3. Network not working after sleep:

When I put my hack to sleep and wake him up, I don't get any network connection. I already installed the r1000 driver from psystar, but it didn't help.

Overall it is a really great guide, even for noobs like me :)

Here are the files I used:

poweroff_fix

usb_fix_1.3

r1000.kext

Weaksauce... personal experience, do you recommend kalyway over leo4all? i have gotten a few suggestions that leo4all is superior for dual core systems?

Which one is easier to install or leaves less room for troubleshooting?

also I just obtained kalyway 10.5.2 as well as the combo update, besides the iso, the 10.5.2 download included the following:

folder called "ADD_KEXT_TO_DVD" ,inside that folder there is a a file called "Add_kext_to_dvd_boot.command" and a folder called "natit.kext", inside that a folder called "contents" inside that folder you i have "info.plist" and the 2 following folders.. "MacOS" & "Resources".

Do i just burn the iso to dvd and not worry about those otehr files...i know they are there for a reason but im not sure if it applies to me?...

if you need my parts, they are the following:

-EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

-GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard

-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

- pqi TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI26400

- 2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 750gb 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

- LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05

- ENCORE ENLGA-1320 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Ethernet Card

-Antec Sonata III case

I wanna give you as much info as possible so you dont think i expect you to look up which of my hardware requires kexts...so excuse how much i am writing.

i know that my video card requires the following: Patch (Punk92) + guide (bf2loser)

and for the gigabyte mobo:

• Audio: Works with patched AppleHDA
  • LAN: Works out of the box, Bonjour might need R1000 kext.
  • SATA & IDE: SATA woks OOB, AHCI works with all ports with This

I am also providing this info because i am a bit of noob who might be over his head here with 900$ worth of hardware and need some reassurance here....

Hope you can provide some insight....

Lataz

Kalyway and Leo4All are both excellent tools for getting Leopard onto your system; they are simply different ways of doing the same thing. I prefer Kaly simply because it is the one I am most familiar with. If you feel like playing around, definitely give Leo4All a shot and let us know how it turns out! As far as the "Add Kext to DVD" command, that is outside the scope of this document. It is a useful tool if you want to use it, but since I am continually updating the guide, it's easier for me just to include some tools like Kexthelper to get things working.

I do have a question about your motherboard: it appears that Newegg is selling the Revision 1.0 version of the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, which I have not had the opportunity to test. You can find out which board you have by looking at the back panel:

Rev 1.0 Panel

Rev 2.0 Panel

The Rev 1.0 board has 4 USB ports, while the Rev 2.0 board has 6 USB ports (4 in a row + 2 by the Ethernet jack). Which board revision do you have?

Yes, just burn the ISO to a DVD as-is. This is the best method for following my current guide release.

Regarding your 8600 GT video card, NVinstaller should work just fine for you (they are the pickiest part of any Hackintosh however, so give it a try and see if it works for you). Since it's a 256mb model, just select "Vanilla" when you use NVinstaller.

As far as Ethernet goes, if you are planning on using the Encore card, be sure to disable the Onboard Ethernet in BIOS. You don't need to worry about installing the driver for the Onboard Ethernet if you have it disabled. If you choose to use it, then yes, the R1000 kext is the one to go with. However, you need a specific version - the one from Psytar is the only one that works 100% (the only glitch is that it takes 5-8 seconds to wake from sleep). Here is a link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/129404309/Real...0.kext.zip.html

iirc, I tried cyclonefr's AHCI kexts, but they did not work for me. I know that backing up ALL of the systems extensions is a crappy approach, but it works. I am working on a better method for the 10.5.4 update of the guide; if I can include the specific kexts needed for Bluetooth, AHCI, etc., that will be a lot easier.

Your build looks good, just follow my guide from start to finish and you should have a smooth-running machine! :tomato:

First off all: Really nice Guide Weaksauce!!!

I followed your guide step-by-step, but there are a few probs I discovered:

1. USB doesn't work correctly:

After I installed the 10.5.3 Combo Update with the modded 9.3 kernel, I noticed that my USB Drive didn't mount, my USB keyboard worked properly on the other hand. I found out that my kernel was 9.3.0 (uname -a in terminal), but my system.kext was still at 9.2.0.

After searching the forum I foudn a threat were other guys had the same problem. I downloaded the usb_fix and downgraded my kernel en my system.kext to 9.2.2. Now USB is working correctly.

2. Shutdown doesn't work properly:

When I shutdown my hack, the fans of the video card and psu are still running. I tried to solve this problem using the poweroff_fix, but it didn't solve it. Maybe you guys have an idea... Do you think this has something to do with this?

3. Network not working after sleep:

When I put my hack to sleep and wake him up, I don't get any network connection. I already installed the r1000 driver from psystar, but it didn't help.

Overall it is a really great guide, even for noobs like me :help:

Here are the files I used:

poweroff_fix

usb_fix_1.3

r1000.kext

1. That's very odd that your USB ports didn't work correctly without that patch. I have tons of USB devices attached to my system without any problems. What kind of USB hard drive do you have?

2. Another odd problem; shutdown should work fine because of the Sleep kernel. However, no big deal - my upcoming Vanilla guide update has a fix for shutdown (since shutdown doesn't work by default on Vanilla).

3. When you installed Kalyway, did you uncheck the Network Drivers box? There may be an issue if a separate Network driver was installed before the R1000 driver. However, the Onboard Ethernet has frustrated me enough that I now just recommend getting the $7.99 Encore PCI card - it completely solves the problem.

Thanks! Like everyone else, I am still learning and this guide is progressing on a regular basis, so I appreciate the feedback, bug reports, and links! :)

If anyone else has encountered the above problems, please let me know!

i'm having a real difficult time trying to find the the mobo v2.0. Most places it seems has v1. I was going to purchase from macpalace on ebay but realized that he only accepts paypal. My paypal is linked to my old account because i haven't used it in so long. Certifying through paypal takes awhile so i was hoping for other options. Or if anything, has anyone tried with the GA-EP35-DS3L?

I understand the necessity to stick with the exact mobo but i'm asking just in case. It would make my life alot easier... :(

Okay second question, can you see iTunes shares or other Bonjour stuff (AFP servers etc.)?

Yes, Temperature Monitor works for me. I had to change the system voice to something other than the default voice, but yes, it does work. What is your install method? Kalyway? I noticed you're using Chameleon as well?

No it does not work with AFP or Bonjour, thanks :(

Temp Monitor still doesnt want to see my Proc temp, maybe becaus my model? also About this Mac show unknown proc (fixed it but internally still remain as unknown).

Installation Method was with a Retail DVD on a Real Mac Pro, then applied patched kexts.

i'm having a real difficult time trying to find the the mobo v2.0. Most places it seems has v1. I was going to purchase from macpalace on ebay but realized that he only accepts paypal. My paypal is linked to my old account because i haven't used it in so long. Certifying through paypal takes awhile so i was hoping for other options. Or if anything, has anyone tried with the GA-EP35-DS3L?

I understand the necessity to stick with the exact mobo but i'm asking just in case. It would make my life alot easier... :(

Try Fry electronics. I bought mine locally. But you may search for it on line

I understand the necessity to stick with the exact mobo but i'm asking just in case. It would make my life alot easier... :P

The EP35 works with Hackintosh, although I do not know if it works with my guide. From what I understand, there are basically 3 revisions:

Revision 1 = Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 1.0 (4 Rear USB Ports)

Revision 2 = Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 (6 Rear USB Ports)

Revision 3 = Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L ("Dynamic Energy Saver")

I would really like to know if my guide works on Rev 1.0 and Rev "3.0" boards (quasi-revision since it's a different model number).

No it does not work with AFP or Bonjour, thanks :(

Temp Monitor still doesnt want to see my Proc temp, maybe becaus my model? also About this Mac show unknown proc (fixed it but internally still remain as unknown).

Installation Method was with a Retail DVD on a Real Mac Pro, then applied patched kexts.

Hmm...Temperature Monitor works on my Kalyway installation, but I have to change the default system voice to make it work (why? I have no clue, but it works!). I wonder what's so different between a Retail install and a Kalyway install that it would work on one but not the other...

i just recently noticed this on neweggs website...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....p;name=GIGABYTE

if you scroll down, you'll notice it says that the GA-p35-ds3l will be replaced in their inventory with the E version.

I'm gonna purchase the E because i'm beginning to think there's really no difference btwn the two. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

@sup3r1or

here's the link for the usb_fix thread: here

@weaksauce

1. I tested two usb flash drives: transcend jetflash v30 4gb and an a-data myflash pd9

2. Hurry up! I'm looking forward to your new release! :(

3. I did uncheck the netword drivers box, but my network did work after finishing the install. I think this is a bit weird, when installing no driver for the network card.... Maybe I really should buy a pci netword card....

I also noticed, that the graphics aren't that as smooth as on on a real mac. When I move a windows really fast it stutters a little bit. You hardly notice it , but it's there. System profiler tells me that Core Image is hardware enabled and that Quartz Extreme is supported.

Did anyone else notice this? I used the nvinstaller .52 included in weaksauces package to install my 8800gt 512mb.

Has anyone working front panel audio?

@sup3r1or

here's the link for the usb_fix thread: here

@weaksauce

1. I tested two usb flash drives: transcend jetflash v30 4gb and an a-data myflash pd9

2. Hurry up! I'm looking forward to your new release! ;)

3. I did uncheck the netword drivers box, but my network did work after finishing the install. I think this is a bit weird, when installing no driver for the network card.... Maybe I really should buy a pci netword card....

I also noticed, that the graphics aren't that as smooth as on on a real mac. When I move a windows really fast it stutters a little bit. You hardly notice it , but it's there. System profiler tells me that Core Image is hardware enabled and that Quartz Extreme is supported.

Did anyone else notice this? I used the nvinstaller .52 included in weaksauces package to install my 8800gt 512mb.

Has anyone working front panel audio?

I'm working on it, I'm working on it! :P

The 10.5.4 guide update will (hopefully) fix your problem, since I am (1) trying to consolidate the kexts so that unneeded ones don't overwrite the newer ones and (2) going to be using the Vanilla kernel, so everything should match up properly. As far as the network card goes, read through the Quirks section in my guide for more info on that. Personally I'd just get the PCI network card and be done with it - no more headaches! :)

The stuttering may be attributed to your video card. I have several cards and none of them exhibit "stuttering" as far as I can tell, at least compared to my real Macs. Want to throw up a screen capture for us? (I think ScreenFlow has a demo version)

@weaksauce

I wanted to make a screen capture, but the option "Record Video from:" is greyed out. Maybe this has something to do with my "stutter" problem?

I posted a screenshot, showing ScreenFlow and my System Information for Graphics.

post-65130-1216143421_thumb.png

weaksauce... a quick question about the cd drive. I just realized that my power supply only has 1 SATA power plug which will be taken up by the HDD. Does my cd drive have to be SATA? i know in the first page you write SATA dvd drive but i was just wondering if it was absolutely necessary.

@weaksauce

I wanted to make a screen capture, but the option "Record Video from:" is greyed out. Maybe this has something to do with my "stutter" problem?

I posted a screenshot, showing ScreenFlow and my System Information for Graphics.

Might just be because it's a demo. Works fine for me :(

weaksauce... a quick question about the cd drive. I just realized that my power supply only has 1 SATA power plug which will be taken up by the HDD. Does my cd drive have to be SATA? i know in the first page you write SATA dvd drive but i was just wondering if it was absolutely necessary.

I have not tested IDE on my own system yet, so I can't really comment on it. For all I know it works great, but after hearing about the numerous problems of IDE on Hackintosh I decided to just skip the hassle and get all-SATA drives. Why not just get an IDE-to-SATA power adapter?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812816015