[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

Yes...I did get rev 2.0, waiting for it in the mail from ebay order....I must return the original one that is rev 2.0.

On friday i will ahve all parts including rev 2.0, so i will let you know how my build went!

First of all thanks for this awesome guide. works perfect but i needed that usb fix too!

GA-P35DS3L Rev 2

2x1024 OCZ

Samsung S250 (ahci)

ECS 8800GT 512

2xIDE DVD Drives (Eject only shows 1 (dvdrw) but both work)

any idea when can wie expect a vanilla 10.5.4 guide ?

For all those who think ewiz.com is selling rev 1.0 cause if the images & description they have on their site, be aware I ordered it and received rev 2.0. This is not to say you will always get that from them...unfortunately I already ordered from another location, and while I have all my aprts including the right rev. mobo (I have to return it, the other one is from ebay and cannot be returned)...lets put it this way, I am impatient...

I know this is kinda wrong, do you think I should use the ewiz mobo and since eqiz already gave me an RMA for return, I would just return the new in box one I get from ebay seller to ewiz... I am just worried that the serial # on the actual mobo will not match and I will not get my money back (I am doing all this cause I would rather build it today then wait till this coming Monday!, I told you im a bit impatient....)

BTW check out the blog I am putting up to show my build experience, I am gonna put up photos of todays packages later on today.. http://hey-now.tumblr.com/

The hack is not working for me for some reason. This is my setup (parts):

Giga GA-P35-DS3L Rev. 2

Q6600 2.4

Scythe Samurai Master Cooler

EVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS

2G Corsair mem.

500G Seagate HD SATA

Lite SATA DVD-drive

PCI-e Firewire

PCI Ethernet

PCI USB

...tryin to install OS but to no avail. I changed the BIOS like stated to the T. Pop in burned Kalyway and it says ..."Disc not readable and press enter when ....

I don't know whats wrong or what I did wrong. I'm not having any success loading the OS on the system. Please help!!

Giga GA-P35-DS3L Rev. 2

Q6600 2.4

EVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS

2G Corsair mem.

500G Seagate HD SATA

Lite SATA DVD-drive

PCI-e Firewire

PCI Ethernet

PCI USB

...tryin to install OS but to no avail. I changed the BIOS like stated to the T. Pop in burned Kalyway and it says ..."Disc not readable and press enter when ....

I don't know whats wrong or what I did wrong. I'm not having any success loading the OS on the system. Please help!!

Sounds like you either have a bad burn or a bad copy of Kalyway. Try using a different program to burn it to DVD, and burn it at 4x or less.

For all those who think ewiz.com is selling rev 1.0 cause if the images & description they have on their site, be aware I ordered it and received rev 2.0. This is not to say you will always get that from them...unfortunately I already ordered from another location, and while I have all my aprts including the right rev. mobo (I have to return it, the other one is from ebay and cannot be returned)...lets put it this way, I am impatient...

I know this is kinda wrong, do you think I should use the ewiz mobo and since eqiz already gave me an RMA for return, I would just return the new in box one I get from ebay seller to ewiz... I am just worried that the serial # on the actual mobo will not match and I will not get my money back (I am doing all this cause I would rather build it today then wait till this coming Monday!, I told you im a bit impatient....)

BTW check out the blog I am putting up to show my build experience, I am gonna put up photos of todays packages later on today.. <a href="http://hey-now.tumblr.com/" target="_blank">http://hey-now.tumblr.com/</a>

Personally, I would avoid trying to cheat a company out of a product for both legal and moral reasons.

Great blog! Keep it updated! Love the case!

First of all thanks for this awesome guide. works perfect but i needed that usb fix too!

GA-P35DS3L Rev 2

2x1024 OCZ

Samsung S250 (ahci)

ECS 8800GT 512

2xIDE DVD Drives (Eject only shows 1 (dvdrw) but both work)

any idea when can wie expect a vanilla 10.5.4 guide ?

The next guide update should hopefully fix that problem for you.

I'll try to at least get the .4 upgrade guide out by this weekend. My schedule got switched to nights at one of my jobs, so my writing/testing time has been a little crunched this week. Mostly I'm just shooting replies on my lunchbreak and such right now!

For all those who think ewiz.com is selling rev 1.0 cause if the images & description they have on their site, be aware I ordered it and received rev 2.0. This is not to say you will always get that from them.

Thanks for making me feel a little better because I ordered that very board from ewiz.com yesterday and didn't see this until now. Was thinking I'd have to return it to them and buy the eBay one instead. Hopefully I get the new revision as well.

@weaksauce12: Thanks for this excellent guide. I bought several of the parts here on your recommendation and a lot of other reading on this forum and hope to put together a budget Hackint0sh for my father. Your guide is very well written and seems easy enough to follow. I have experience building 4 computers but not with OSX and this seems like it will make it pretty straightforward.

Giga GA-P35-DS3L Rev. 2

Q6600 2.4

EVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS

2G Corsair mem.

500G Seagate HD SATA

Lite SATA DVD-drive

PCI-e Firewire

PCI Ethernet

PCI USB

Sorry about that :P

I made kalyway dvd with leopard's disk utility and it was fully readble. Try d0wnload again kalyway's. Maybe u got a corrupted download.

Try also to disconnect all pci devices except for pc-express video card. i'm not sure if last advice will be usefull but it's standard hardware troubleshooting! :-)

I have to assemble my best friend's hackintosh tomorrow and it's a configuration

very similar to yours. I will see and post all things that i'll find usefull.

Carlo

Giga GA-P35-DS3L Rev. 2

Q6600 2.4

EVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS

2G Corsair mem.

500G Seagate HD SATA

Lite SATA DVD-drive

PCI-e Firewire

PCI Ethernet

PCI USB

Try also to check if sata cables are well plugged.

And after try to plug dvd and hd's sata cables in different order.

Sorry about that :)

I made kalyway dvd with leopard's disk utility and it was fully readble. Try d0wnload again kalyway's. Maybe u got a corrupted download.

Try also to disconnect all pci devices except for pc-express video card. i'm not sure if last advice will be usefull but it's standard hardware troubleshooting! :-)

I have to assemble my best friend's hackintosh tomorrow and it's a configuration

very similar to yours. I will see and post all things that i'll find usefull.

Carlo

Try also to check if sata cables are well plugged.

And after try to plug dvd and hd's sata cables in different order.

Yes, it seems that the best configuration for installation is minimal - just the USB keyboard and mouse, Video Card, and Network Card (if you have it). I was helping a friend through an installation last night and his Network Card wasn't installed, but the Onboard was disabled. It kept looping at the Welcome screen (the Leopard intro video). Once he plugged in the Network Card, it worked. Also, I would recommend plugging in the boot drive and DVD drive into the first 2 SATA ports for maximum compatibility if you are having errors.

Hey, thanks for the great guide weaksauce.

The GA-EP35-DS3L (says rev. 1 so I guess they are considering it a new model) works fine with basic testing, ie. sleep, restart, shutdown, with no changes from your installation method.

My setup (somewhat of a budget build as I am doing this just for the experience):

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L rev. 1, BIOS version F4

Intel E2180 Dual Core Pentium 2.0 Ghz

Asus EN8400GS 256Mb (used NVInstaller v.52 to get QI/QE)

2x1Gb Kingbox 800 DDR2

WD Caviar 500Gb SATA HD

Maxtor 200Gb PATA HD *** see note below

LiteOn external USB DVD

For some reason the Pystar ethernet driver conflicts with the NVInstaller kexts and I end up with a blank screen if I use both together. I will be trying macgirl's discovery (don't think I will need the apple protocol) or possibly picking up the recommended ethernet card.

"3. Test onboard IDE ports"

The installation also works on my PATA 200Gb, again with basic sleep, shutdown, restart testing

"7. Boot from USB DVD Drive"

Works, installed to both SATA on PATA HDs with this method.

**Note** I had several files corrupt when doing a larger transfer from my SATA to PATA drive. Whether there is a problem with a transfer between the two buses, strictly an IDE error or some other problem I am unsure. Thus it is possible that people may have trouble installing cross bus, say from a SATA DVD to a PATA drive ( I used an external USB DVD for all my installations).

This being said, I have no trouble running off my PATA installation or SATA installation by themselves with basic testing. I will be sticking to SATA drives myself just to be safe.

Edit: Just want to remind people that since this is a different model mobo, my experiences may be different than users of the the standard GA-P35-DS3L.

Hey, thanks for the great guide weaksauce.

The GA-EP35-DS3L (says rev. 1 so I guess they are considering it a new model) works fine with basic testing, ie. sleep, restart, shutdown, with no changes from your installation method.

My setup (somewhat of a budget build as I am doing this just for the experience):

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L rev. 1, BIOS version F4

Intel E2180 Dual Core Pentium 2.0 Ghz

Asus EN8400GS 256Mb (used NVInstaller v.52 to get QI/QE)

2x1Gb Kingbox 800 DDR2

WD Caviar 500Gb SATA HD

Maxtor 200Gb PATA HD *** see note below

LiteOn external USB DVD

For some reason the Pystar ethernet driver conflicts with the NVInstaller kexts and I end up with a blank screen if I use both together. I will be trying macgirl's discovery (don't think I will need the apple protocol) or possibly picking up the recommended ethernet card.

"3. Test onboard IDE ports"

The installation also works on my PATA 200Gb, again with basic sleep, shutdown, restart testing

"7. Boot from USB DVD Drive"

Works, installed to both SATA on PATA HDs with this method.

**Note** I had several files corrupt when doing a larger transfer from my SATA to PATA drive. Whether there is a problem with a transfer between the two buses, strictly an IDE error or some other problem I am unsure. Thus it is possible that people may have trouble installing cross bus, say from a SATA DVD to a PATA drive ( I used an external USB DVD for all my installations).

This being said, I have no trouble running off my PATA installation or SATA installation by themselves with basic testing. I will be sticking to SATA drives myself just to be safe.

Edit: Just want to remind people that since this is a different model mobo, my experiences may be different than users of the the standard GA-P35-DS3L.

Awesome, thanks for testing this! I have a USB DVD drive, an IDE DVD drive, and an IDE hard drive I am testing tomorrow afternoon after work, so that will be in the 10.5.4 guide update. I have Vanilla working with proper restart/shutdown using a combination of kexts, software, and scripts, so that should be smooth sailing. I have an upgrade path for 10.5.3 users as well as a guide update for new users to 10.5.4. Just nailing down a few more kexts and then finishing the write-up :thumbsdown_anim:

Now all we need is for someone with a P35-DS3L Rev 1.0 board to test this method out! Any takers? ;)

Thanks for this guide. Worked for me to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3

I used the combo updater portion of your install to go from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 as 10.5.2 was previously installed.

I have a Gigabyte EX38-DS4 board and did not need to install the Audio and SMBIOS files.

I did install the latest NVinstaller v52 even though the 8800 GT graphics card worked fully in 10.5.2 it was only recognized as "Graphics by nVidia" not as "nVidia GeForce 8800 GT" in 10.5.3. Also uses the EFI string install...so that's excellent.

Now my me.com account works....cool!

weaksauce12 in your guide you didn't mention what kernel to install, Vanilla or Modbin...I installed modbin after reading further through the posts. Might become moot with you new guide coming.

Many thanks,

John

weaksauce12 in your guide you didn't mention what kernel to install, Vanilla or Modbin...I installed modbin after reading further through the posts. Might become moot with you new guide coming.

The Kernel selection is listed in Step 2, Part B of the Guide:

b. Customize options: (before installing)

1) Uncheck all boxes

2) Check "Kernel_9.2_sleep" under "Kernels"

...etc

The Sleep kernel works the best natively (restart/shutdown/sleep all supported). I am switching this to Vanilla in the 10.5.4 guide for greater compatibility, however. You will be able to switch it if you have already installed, so no big deal either way.

Thanks for this guide. Worked for me to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3

I used the combo updater portion of your install to go from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 as 10.5.2 was previously installed.

I have a Gigabyte EX38-DS4 board and did not need to install the Audio and SMBIOS files.

I did install the latest NVinstaller v52 even though the 8800 GT graphics card worked fully in 10.5.2 it was only recognized as "Graphics by nVidia" not as "nVidia GeForce 8800 GT" in 10.5.3. Also uses the EFI string install...so that's excellent.

Now my me.com account works....cool!

Glad to hear it works on that board! Was Audio supported by default? And as far as SMBIOS, does your Memory pane in System Profiler show up correctly? Shows all the banks and what's installed?

How many megabytes of vram does your 8800GT have?

What is the fix for?

My BT works :o

Some people (including myself) have been having trouble getting Bluetooth keyboards to pair. They show up in the Bluetooth search panel, but refuse to pair. This fixes it, if you have that problem. I think this is like the USB fix...not everybody has the problem. Kind of odd, but whatever - we have fixes for problems you didn't even know you had! :o

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot that you used a different installation method. If you installed from the Kalyway 10.5.2 via my guide, it seems that the Bluetooth doesn't work. This fixes it.

Found the SATA drivers!!! Download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1sw2ylmhf2z

IOAHCIFamily.kext fixes the orange drive icons (turns them silver - stock color)

AppleAHCIPort.kext fixes the SATA entry in System Profiler (shows Intel ICH9 AHCI instead of Unknown)

Just install using Kexthelper and restart:

http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html

This eliminates the Extension Backup Steps in the Guide - you can eliminate Step 3 and Step 5! Just install these two kexts along with the SMBIOS. No more copying over old 10.5.2 extensions! Just the working 10.5.2 AHCI SATA kexts!

Yay yay yay! :P

I just got mostly up and running using weaksauce's guide. First, thank you weaksauce - this is awesome and your guide helped tremendously!

My setup:

* Intel Q6600

* Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L Rev 1.0

* 4GB Corsair DDR2 800 RAM

* Samsung F1 750gb hard drive

* Samsung SH-203N DVD burner

* Linksys WMP54GS wireless card (worked out of the box)

* Rosewill RC-502 Firewire card

* Dlink DBT-120 Bluetooth USB dongle (worked out of the box)

* Zotac ZT-73TEG2P-HSL 256MB 7300GT graphics card

And, if anyone cares, it's in an Antec P182 case with a Seasonic SS-430GB PSU. Heatsink is a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with a Scythe SFF21D fan attached to it.

Some notes on the install:

* My PS/2 keyboard worked both during the install and after.

* When I installed the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Updater, I installed the mod_bin kernel.

* After I installed NVinstaller, I lost the USB ports. Installing the usb_fix restored them, although my generic USB external hard drive isn't being recognized (not sure I care about this).

* Am having issues with spotty Bluetooth pairing of an Apple wireless keyboard (am going to try the fix in this thread). The install recogized my Apple wireless mouse right away and it always pairs consistently.

* Shutdown and sleep are not working - shutdown powers off Leopard but the system fans still run.

* Firewire connection seems inconsistent. I did get it to work with a TC Electronics Konnekt 24D audio interface and play some system sounds through it, but on the next restart, it didn't connect. The Konnekt 24D does this same behavior on my Macbook though.

* This box seems much faster than my C2D MacBook.

* My front USB ports aren't working - have to go and check my wiring.

* I have to go out and buy iLife as the copy of iLife I have is tied to my Macbook (it won't let me install it).

* I have a second Samsung 750gb drive that I'm going to install as well as a Time Machine Backup

* I don't know if the onboard Ethernet works, I just disabled it

Weaksauce, I'll be happy to test anything you've got over the weekend. I'm done for tonight but send me a PM or something - if you are on any instant messengers, send me your username and I'll get in touch with you. I will probably migrate my data on Sunday afternoon (Pacific Time) so I don't care if testing breaks my system before then and I have to reinstall. I also think I have a spare IDE drive lying around if you want me to try to test that.

Woo-hoo! This is really cool.

Great guide, really helped me along and up and running.. iam a mac guy so has been interesting getting the PC i made to run OSX :lol:

Running great so far, very fast and snappy.. running Wolfdale 8400 OC to 3.66 with a eVGA 8800 GT SSC card.. still trying to get Final Cut Pro to work.. but FCP keeps telling me i have no video ram... weird cause i have no problems what so ever with anything else and in the system profiler it lists i have a 512 unknown card from NVIDIA... any ideas? ran the NVinstaller.. maybe has something to do with the fact its a SSC 8800 GT???

Maybe the NVinstaller is not installing the correct drivers but i will try a few more and see what happens..