EFiX: OSx86 gone commercial?

723 posts in this topic

Still no information on price that I could find. If they increased hardware support it would be nice too (although I suspect that's something you'll see in coming weeks as they test and work with more hardware).

ur badaxe 2 may works tho, nobody said it will not, just smbd need to test it.

True, but I wouldn't want to spend "x" number of dollars on something that might not work for me. Of course, if they wanted to give one to me for testing purposes... :thumbsdown_anim:

for example my p5ld2-vm se isn't in their list, but, it all worked fine, i just had to sue patched applehda kext, from my another leo installation, other thigns works like a charm,

So, most ich7-based mobo with compatible nic should works jsut fine.

for example my p5ld2-vm se isn't in their list, but, it all worked fine, i just had to sue patched applehda kext, from my another leo installation, other thigns works like a charm,

So, most ich7-based mobo with compatible nic should works jsut fine.

True enough. There's hope yet then. I wonder if my wife's MSI 945GM3 - F motherboard would work then too... it also has the ICH7 chipset on it.

You know, I just don't know what I would do with myself if I could install and upgrade like a normal mac.

So why all the Gigabyte love ?

Is work being done on top ASUS boards ?

Also, can we assume that firmware updates (downloads) will give

support for newer boards ? Or will a new device have to be purchased ?

Basically, what kind of storage capacity does this device have ?

Also, will their be constant development for newer boards that can

just be downloaded onto the device ?

i have a question.. if we "suppose" that efi-x is too expensive or if the hardware it is not possible to acquire it in some countries?, and efi-x is a usb dongle, is there a way to "crack" a copy protection dongle?

Could we please wait until we know the prices?

We should better bet what it will cost. I'd estimate it to max 30USD...

Dont want to sound like a noob here but isnt there ad kinda well not very truthfull as in why do they say you can install on a regular pc but they clearly have a hardware compatability list so therefore is not what the ad says its not regular pc, Seems more like specific and why anyone would actually want to give them money is beyond me certainly buy leopard but this scam off a dongle no ta ill stay with the excellent dvds that are available that obviously do the same job or d oit better

isnt there ad kinda well not very truthfull as in why do they say you can install on a regular pc but they clearly have a hardware compatability list so therefore is not what the ad says its not regular pc

They don't say, you can install it on every regular PC, do they?

Also... the fact, that it was tested with the boards mentioned on their website doesn't say, that it won't work with other boards, too. Though the possibility that it only works does not seem outrageously far-fetched either, if they are doing some voodoo depending on a board's firmware (and as we know, Gigabyte BIOS are all so slightly different from other manufacturer's). On the other hand, maybe it's just some kind of "hypervisor" booted straight via USB (PCI) and the like.

Could we please wait until we know the prices? We should better bet what it will cost. I'd estimate it to max 30USD...
I would pay that. I wonder if they will give me a 3 pack discount!!!
So why all the Gigabyte love ?Is work being done on top ASUS boards ?Also, can we assume that firmware updates (downloads) will givesupport for newer boards ? Or will a new device have to be purchased ?Basically, what kind of storage capacity does this device have ?Also, will their be constant development for newer boards that canjust be downloaded onto the device ?
Agreed. Plenty of P5W DH Deluxe users out there! Also what about the Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2 That was a popular board for a while. Which I own one!
All my hardware is supported :(
I got some hardware support for you right here ;P

Oh... I missed this while writing my above post:

"EFiX Firmware Selector:

Simply select a new Firmware from the list when changing or upgrading your mainboard."

Sounds like it's somehow motherboard-specific, doesn't it? Not like you could have this USB thingy work on every motherboard. And I wonder, what the point of testing 8 (!) Gigabyte boards is - but not a single popular one from other manufacturers Asrock, Asus and the like` For instance, the Asrock Conroe seems pretty popular with OSx86, so it would seem like an obvious choice.

Could Gigabyte have a hand in this, wanting to push sales of their boards (after the ugly problems with Terabyte-Hard Drives)? :)

How do we know that this is not a fishing expedition ?

Is there "product" ready to ship, or is this an elaborate research deal ?

I want to see a table full of these devices with a current newspaper :)

Beware of pre-orders !

i thought i was able to buy this today...

Today is not over yet ;)

Beware of pre-orders !

But sometimes these kinds of things are only feasible with orders - even if this is legit. It may take some investment up front to take this to a reasonable "mass" production. I don't know for what sales or how many units they are aiming. But while you can cobble together a few cheap prototypes for testing, final production should supposedly involve a kind of set-up cost and decreasing variable costs per units. So it's economically reasonable, to produce a larger quantity in one production run. Basic economies of scale.

Question is, if they're willing to take that risk themselves - or even if they have the financial resources for a larger production run. And I wouldn't exactly assume them having a potent investor on board (if it isn't Gigabyte ;) ). Also, making a fancy website is one thing, selling these things is another thing, if they are violating some copyright. If you expect you could get in legal trouble, it is most likely after shipment of these things. So you better ship a larger first run in a short time, than stocking the devices.

(I am not implying that they actually do violate any copyright... but I also wouldn't be surprised if some court thinks so)