EFiX: OSx86 gone commercial?

723 posts in this topic

No, like I said, it is completely hardware based. "Software Upgradeable" means that you can upgrade the firmware/software stored on the ROM (you know, just like you can upgrade Mac firmware through Software Update, and thats hardware too isn't it?). If it was software based it would get dd'ed and it would be flying through the net the day it comes out. This is a completely hardware based solution (other than the drivers system) and that is what you have to keep in mind.
That's just splitting hairs. It must be hardware running some software just like a BIOS chip, an EFI ROM or a whole computer come to that. Without the software it's just a lump of silicon.

Apple can't stop hacker from iphone 1st release to make jailbrakes, activiation and so on.

What does appel do? They now sell the iphone much more cheaper and release it on the hole world. Apple can't stop hackers do osx86 and they won't stop a simple usb stick which sell in 3 days.

so if you check my mindsteps we can ask one simple question

What will apple do?

I think, if this usb dongle works so impossible fine for every {censored} hardware apple have to do something. And the rumor over apple present mac on every pc maybe they will release a new version of mac for every pc.

we will see 3 days is no long wait time

So im a little late on this...but from what i gather...ALL this does is takes away the need for a pre patched dvd so that a retail one will install? its not some type of magical "god sent make all hardware compatable with OSX" usb device, correct? or is that what there advertising it as....cause i still find its overall use confusin.

Something new from their FAQ:

So will ALL hardware work with the EFiX device installed?

If it does, we will be surprised too! Support for refrigerators, microwaves, mouse-pads hasn't been implemented...yet

It seems like people with laptops won't be so lucky and we still will have to hear the fu*king fan making noise as if it was trying to fly... ;) So at least my laptop won't see efi-x as somethign revolutionary compared to kalyway dvd...

Something new from their FAQ:It seems like people with laptops won't be so lucky and we still will have to hear the fu*king fan making noise as if it was trying to fly... :( So at least my laptop won't see efi-x as somethign revolutionary compared to kalyway dvd...
There is nothing in that quote from efi-x that suggests that laptops (with very close to mac hardware) should not be able to run just fine.

So im a little late on this...but from what i gather...ALL this does is takes away the need for a pre patched dvd so that a retail one will install? its not some type of magical "god sent make all hardware compatable with OSX" usb device, correct? or is that what there advertising it as....cause i still find its overall use confusin.

If this device will be as good as its been advertised to be then I think we can expect that a hackintosh that has very close to mac hardware will be able to run a completely unmodified OS X installation that can also be updated trough software update without any problems just like a real mac.

This is something that cant be done on any hackintosh right now. Remember the 10.5.3 update? Also speedstep/sleep/shutdown etc. might work just fine which it does not for everyone even with really close to mac hardware.

Some people with extremely mac like hardware will probably be able to run a 100% untouched installation and others with sound cards that differ a little bit or a nic that differs slightly etc. might need to throw in a couple of patches but they should not take long to apply.

That's my guess for this device based on the hype and rumors we have seen. Its not impossible, I mean if we have something that can emulate mac version of efi 100% and really close to mac hardware we should be able to get real mac experience.

PCEFI and Chameleon are just doing some aspects of the mac efi implementation and that's why they are not as compatible.

I was watching the video and I think I know what is going on here.

Did you see the actual mac boot menu in the beginning? I would be willing to bet this is a physical clone of the EFI chip in the mac put on a USB device. Basically, the PC sees it as a USB drive, you boot to it and it boots the ACTUAL EFI chip. You will still need kexts for non mac stuff, but for all intents and purposes the software thinks its running on an actual mac.

Do want.

really interesseting :)does anybody know when it will release approx?really interesseting :)does anybody know when it will release approx?

Read the first post, you will see this

"We have planned to release it on 23rd of June, 2008. More information will be added soon."

i have a question.. if we "suppose" that efi-x is too expensive or if the hardware it is not possible to acquire it in some countries?, and efi-x is a usb dongle, is there a way to "crack" a copy protection dongle?

i have a question.. if we "suppose" that efi-x is too expensive or if the hardware it is not possible to acquire it in some countries?, and efi-x is a usb dongle, is there a way to "crack" a copy protection dongle?

Infos are online. Only the Gigabyte GA-P35-XYZ are listed as compatible.

:/