10.4.5 Prepatched DVD (Hot news for all)

hdavy2002

459 posts in this topic

Alright, this looks very promising. I am wanting to do an upgrade from 10.4.3. I am wondering two things.

First: I installed 10.4.4 and it screwed my Audio and network, will I need to keep .kext files from 10.4.3 if I upgrade?

Second: My DVD burner is broken currently, can I upgrade from 10.4.3 using the 10.4.5 image mounted in 10.4.3? (this is how I did 10.4.4)

Thanks in advance!!

Alright, this looks very promising. I am wanting to do an upgrade from 10.4.3. I am wondering two things.

First: I installed 10.4.4 and it screwed my Audio and network, will I need to keep .kext files from 10.4.3 if I upgrade?

Second: My DVD burner is broken currently, can I upgrade from 10.4.3 using the 10.4.5 image mounted in 10.4.3? (this is how I did 10.4.4)

Thanks in advance!!

Yeah, you can use VMWare... If you don't know how to use it: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...11314&pid=71201 :whistle:

Hmm, one thing I noticed during my install though (well I think I saw it), AMD Enabled or something like that was ticked by default... but I haven't noticed any odd behaviour of the OS.

Can anyone confirm this please? is there any way of being able to check myself? :pirate2:

Myzar is incorrect.

Not only does the system believe its using SSE2, and not SSE3, but tests have shown that SSE3 is being emulated on SSE3 machines with the 4.5 myzar install.

Jas has tested, and built his own install. Not only does it now show SSE3 as available, but he has reported that his system is snappier now. Previously he would have alot more waits...spinning beachballs...than he has now.

Cosmetic is the cpu being listed with the wrong speed, or the Hardware overview not listing. This issue, however, is not cosmetic, and it does affect your system.

I think that the main problem is that kernel uses cpuid patch which tell that is using sse2 and not sse3.

Posted by myzar 6 days and 9 hours ago:

It's a cosmetic bug caused by the cpuid kernel fix, it's enabled just doesn't show up. If it bothers you change the kernel with one without the cpuid patch

Posted by myzar 6 days and 4 hours ago

Yes it's cosmetic, the hardware info module gives nuts results because wasn't supposed to work at all without efi .

Now i`m just testing the installation of 10.4.45 pre-patched DVD. It`s the first time it installed and booted fine But also it`s the first time I deselected 10.4.5 upgrade.

Trying again with 10.4.5 enabled.

I noticed someone has mentioned that 4.5 tries to load nvidia kexts. I have a geforce 6800 running 4.3 as vga . I was thinking about switching to a raedon x800 agp to get qe/ci, but if I can get it with my card by simply modding the devid's then obviously I would rather do that. Any thoughts?

There's no way the kernel that comes with this actually enables SSE3 on SSE3 capable processors. When I tried running it with the kernel it came with, all of my PPC apps ran like they did on my 300mhz G3. I downloaded the maxxuss patch solution from his site, and simply applied the base patch to it and replaced the kernel that came on the DVD. Now PPC apps run just as quick as they did on 10.4.3 for me. One weird problem I noticed is that I had to run the AMD Enabler patch on the kernel in order for my system to boot. If I didn't it would get to the blue screen and stay there forever. Is there some sort of bug in other files that this DVD installs that could be causing this? I didn't select to install the AMD Enabler when I installed from the DVD. I'm running an Intel CPU.

i keep getting

This hardware configuration is not supported by darwin/x86

when booting from the DVD

any ideas guys?

(i have tried replacing the mach_kernel with the M****** pre-patched for 'all' using TransMac)

anyone? please?

Ok, guys, about the SSE3 problem we were talking about: I have a feeling myzar and I were wrong. I made my own pathed kernel a couple of minutes ago, booted up, and now SSE3 appears in the system profiler... Also, iTunes and stuff loaded up quicker, and I used to have problems pausing and playing, but now it works instantly...

Sorry if I have confused or caused problems for anyone.

is this still a "beta" or is it a full release?

my 10.4.3 is a "beta" and no java or flash work with safari. just curious - thanks!

This one has flash support... :angry: I think Java works too, becuase I saw it installing (said "Installing Java" :blink:).

Ok, guys, about the SSE3 problem we were talking about: I have a feeling myzar and I were wrong. I made my own pathed kernel a couple of minutes ago, booted up, and now SSE3 appears in the system profiler... Also, iTunes and stuff loaded up quicker, and I used to have problems pausing and playing, but now it works instantly...

Sorry if I have confused or caused problems for anyone.

This one has flash support... :angry: I think Java works too, becuase I saw it installing (said "Installing Java" :blink:).

Excuse me, SABR... I don't get it: how did you make your own patched kernel? Could you post it somewhere for all of us?!? That would be so kind of you! ;)

So let me get this straight.......all you have to do is replace the kernel with the base patched kernel?

That is......if you are using intel with sse3 and all that......

Yes, if you have an Intel CPU with SSE3, NX, PAE then you should be ok to just apply the bas.ppf the an original mac_kernel supplied in Maxxuss' patch solution :angry:

Excuse me, SABR... I don't get it: how did you make your own patched kernel? Could you post it somewhere for all of us?!? That would be so kind of you! :blink:

You mean how exactly did I do it, as in step by step? Or what files did I use?

Yes, if you have an Intel CPU with SSE3, NX, PAE then you should be ok to just apply the bas.ppf the an original mac_kernel supplied in Maxxuss' patch solution :angry:

You mean how exactly did I do it, as in step by step? Or what files did I use?

well, I mean both, or at least the easiest way to do it myself! I also have a SS3 etc. Intel CPU... thanks

I noticed someone has mentioned that 4.5 tries to load nvidia kexts. I have a geforce 6800 running 4.3 as vga . I was thinking about switching to a raedon x800 agp to get qe/ci, but if I can get it with my card by simply modding the devid's then obviously I would rather do that. Any thoughts?

that was me, and another member told me that this is PPC stuff.... unknown to me why an x86 installation would try to load this (or why it even is there in the first place), but it seems we all will have to wait for the macvidia project.

well, I mean both, or at least the easiest way to do it myself! I also have a SS3 etc. Intel CPU... thanks

Well, you will want to use base.ppf and possible NoNX...

To do it, I got the Patch solution off thepiratebay, called

Extract it, and there will be a ppf-o-matic3 folder there. Go in that, then ppfgui, then MAC OS-X, then PPF-O-MATIC3, then extract the program, mount the resulting DMG file. Then put the program on your computer (Desktop, applications folder, anywhere...).

Now, double click on the desired ppf file you want to use (will be found in the Kernel_Patchfiles folder). Once the window comes up, select the image file, which will be the mach_kernel.orig file.

Good luck :)

EDIT:

Oh, I forgot to tell you how to replace it... Well, you will want to backup your old one just incase. So, on the root of your drive, make a folder called kernel-backup. Copy your patched mach_kernel in that folder too. Then, in terminal:

sudo cp /mach_kernel /kernel-backup/mach_kernel.backup

sudo rm /mach_kernel

sudo cp /kernel-backup/**NAME OF PATCHED MACH_KERNEL HERE** /mach_kernel

Good luck ;)

Myzar is incorrect.

Not only does the system believe its using SSE2, and not SSE3, but tests have shown that SSE3 is being emulated on SSE3 machines with the 4.5 myzar install.

Jas has tested, and built his own install. Not only does it now show SSE3 as available, but he has reported that his system is snappier now. Previously he would have alot more waits...spinning beachballs...than he has now.

Cosmetic is the cpu being listed with the wrong speed, or the Hardware overview not listing. This issue, however, is not cosmetic, and it does affect your system.

{censored}, just build your own kernel without the sse3 emulator but with the cpuid patch applied and sse3 will not show too but the system works , that would be impossible if sse3 was disabled.

You can't physically disable it on the cpu but it's not a big problem just apply the patches you want to kernel. Prolly the amd patch is needed too + the base patch.

Let me run a bunch of benchmarks for testing purpose

Let me run a bunch of benchmarks for testing purpose

Yeah, that's probably the only way we will see whether it's emulating SSE3 or not.

I repatched my own kernel, and SSE3 now shows there... And, I dunno if it's psychological or whatnot, but it does seem to be a tad faster...

Extract it, ....

You forgot to tell me how the patch solution is called in thepiratebay! :guitar:

Thanks for the rest!

I guess that if I do everything from my XP partition, I could use the ppf from the folder for Windows and do the same things?

Extract it, and there will be a ppf-o-matic3 folder there. Go in that, then ppfgui, then MAC OS-X, then PPF-O-MATIC3, then extract the program, mount the resulting DMG file. Then put the program on your computer (Desktop, applications folder, anywhere...).

Now, double click on the desired ppf file you want to use (will be found in the Kernel_Patchfiles folder). Once the window comes up, select the image file, which will be the mach_kernel.orig file.

Good luck :guitar:

EDIT:

Oh, I forgot to tell you how to replace it... Well, you will want to backup your old one just incase. So, on the root of your drive, make a folder called kernel-backup. Copy your patched mach_kernel in that folder too. Then, in terminal:

sudo cp /mach_kernel /kernel-backup/mach_kernel.backup

sudo rm /mach_kernel

sudo cp /kernel-backup/**NAME OF PATCHED MACH_KERNEL HERE** /mach_kernel

Good luck :)

Ok, nevermind, I think I've done it from Windows, as I said. I've used the files that are in the folder of the Patch Solution of the install DVD. Hope I did right. Later I will boot MAC OS and see what happens! ;) THANKS!

Yeah, that's probably the only way we will see whether it's emulating SSE3 or not.

I repatched my own kernel, and SSE3 now shows there... And, I dunno if it's psychological or whatnot, but it does seem to be a tad faster...

i've played with maxxuss_sse the tool for controlling the sse emu and it shows in the diagnostic output 0 illegal instructions trapped, i've also run its microbench with b2 & b3 on a kernel showing sse3 and one without and it didn't show any difference outside the nominal diff you get at every run.

The coder of the emu aka maxxuss also said it would be impossible for his emu to be called on a sse3 cpu because there wouldn't be anything to trap.

If you have time to waste try base patch + amd + cpuid and it will not show sse3 , so if you guys are right the system would just crash without sse3 and without the sse3 emulator