10.4.5 Prepatched DVD (Hot news for all)

hdavy2002

459 posts in this topic

Okay, I know I've probably missed this somewhere on the forum, but here's hoping...

1) I have the "10.4.4 Restore DVD.dmg" image

2) I have the "Mac OS X 10.4.4 8G1165 DVD AutoPatcher" archive

3) I have the "MacOSX 10.4.4DVD Final ppf with 10.4.5 update" archive

What I don't have is a bootable ISO of any previous OSX version or a working OSX installed on this or any other computer, which the only instructions I've seen so far assume you already have.

Any help with how I can go about making the "10.4.5 Prepatched DVD" under either XP, Linux or VMWare if necessary without downloading yet more massive files ?

I would say you can't, which is what I'm starting to find out. Everything I've done to try and use it turns into a messed up hard drive partition or just a non-booting system.

I'm going to try a find a 10.4.3 disc and work from there. :D

10.4.5 installs very good.

I tried on 5 different systems and goes well. No difference about sse3 issue if you get 0 or 1 it works the same.

I suggest installing windows on first partition and OSX on second one. just make id=af before install and then delete it using disk utility within tiger setup and it will make a properly working one ready to install to. It will not touch NTFS and then you can select which one you want to boot when computer starts under darwin. :)

10.4.5 installs very good.

I tried on 5 different systems and goes well. No difference about sse3 issue if you get 0 or 1 it works the same.

I suggest installing windows on first partition and OSX on second one. just make id=af before install and then delete it using disk utility within tiger setup and it will make a properly working one ready to install to. It will not touch NTFS and then you can select which one you want to boot when computer starts under darwin. :D

Neat. What program could I use to set the id=af? I have Partian magic and acronis.

I installed using VMware.... Put it on my 10gb drive which was slave to my 300gb master... I would just switch the boot order to use mac.... sadly I only have a 400w power supply instead of a 500w and so the either one of the hard drives would power down while I am using it! so I Just coppied the partition over to my 300gb... I cant wait to get network working... I dont want to buy an NIC when I got integrated... besides why should the NIC work in VMware and not Natively?! it isnt fair! I installed the Myzar Disc as it was... no need to patch, should already be pretty universal. Unfortuanately still waiting on 3d hard ware acceleration... why couldnt I have bought a 6800 gt? T_T Why did mac skip 6600?!! yet again not fair...

Somebody knows where I can find the MYZAR patch? PLS PM me if somebody knows!!!

The patch, or the whole patched DVD? You can get the whole patched DVD at t*h*e*p*i*r*a*t*e*b*a*y.org :hysterical:

It will boot automatically so you don't need any other settings...

After installing (using diskpart and then the diskutility in the install thing to create a partition) it is unable to boot the MacOS partition :[

Do I need to create some special HFS+ partition before installing or what can I do?

Update:

So, my new process:

A) Create a partition using diskpart

:( Run install for 10.4.5 using VMware

(This did fix the issue with OSX screwing up my partitions)

C) After this point the 10.4.3 disc will not boot on my system, in VMware or otherwise.

D) So I set the MAC partition to the active partition using the tools in the install area of the 10.4.5 mac disc.

E) set up chain0 and added it to the boot.ini.

F) I get the error about the windows dll being corrupt when I try to load OSx

I looked in the Wiki and it says: "This means chain0 was unable to locate the HFS+ partition of type 0xaf"

i guess my next step will be to try to set the type to 0xaf. It should be already, but it may not have been set correctly.

If that doesn't work I'll blow away the 10.4.5 and try to install 10.4.3 and upgrade from there.

I'll keep at it.

Update:

So, my new process:

A) Create a partition using diskpart

:) Run install for 10.4.5 using VMware

(This did fix the issue with OSX screwing up my partitions)

C) After this point the 10.4.3 disc will not boot on my system, in VMware or otherwise.

D) So I set the MAC partition to the active partition using the tools in the install area of the 10.4.5 mac disc.

E) set up chain0 and added it to the boot.ini.

F) I get the error about the windows dll being corrupt when I try to load OSx

I looked in the Wiki and it says: "This means chain0 was unable to locate the HFS+ partition of type 0xaf"

i guess my next step will be to try to set the type to 0xaf. It should be already, but it may not have been set correctly.

If that doesn't work I'll blow away the 10.4.5 and try to install 10.4.3 and upgrade from there.

I'll keep at it.

i did it that...upgrade from 10,4,3....is the best way

I installed 10.4.3, now Darwin in the only boot loader that comes up. I am not given the option to load windows XP.

I would rather it default to the windows boot.ini instead. How do I do that?

I installed 10.4.3, now Darwin in the only boot loader that comes up. I am not given the option to load windows XP.

I would rather it default to the windows boot.ini instead. How do I do that?

Just boot with partition utility such as Acronis disk director, and set win partition active... you can download the hiren's boot cd that has boot tools... it's about 60MB

Although you can load windows via the Darwin bootloader, if they are on the same disk with winxp just select the partition to boot where XP are installed

Heya all,

My first post here (all my previous posts were on win2osx site which is still rebuilding).

I have done a lot of reading over the past couple days before posting this, hoping to catch a couple clues, but to no avail as yet.

I have a mystery. I'm hoping someone can help put together the puzzle pieces I have and help complete the picture.

My machine (specs are in my sig, as always) is having a tough time with 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 installs. My latest forray is using MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso DVD. It installs fine on my (nearly) Dev PC. After the install, when booting normally, it will go to the welcome music, but the video is H O S E D - not just a little tearing, but the whole screen is undiscernable - everything is just flat blocks of (wrong) colors. However, when I boot into Safe Mode, everything seemed to come up fine: video, network, apps (except no sound in Safe Mode).

Two other pieces: (1) oddly enough, 10.4.1 runs on this PC like a dream, EVERYTHING works (as well as it could under 10.4.1). (2) I have never been able to get 10.4.3 to work on this PC, no matter whose DVD was used, or which patch or whatever.

My last 3 install attemps have produced a bit different result: booting normally, it goes into the welcome movie with sound, and the video is just the big patches of nothingness (just like above); when I boot into Safe Mode, it loads most everything and then halts the CPU & shuts down.

I have tried this on 3 different hard drives. Two of them are partitioned dualBooting XP Pro and OSx86, the 3rd HD is only 1 partition with just OSx86. I have tried using standard HFS and also journaled, getting the same result. I have tried 'upgrading' the 10.4.1 installation and also a clean install, both with the same results.

At one point, I thought perhaps there was a hardware problem, so I wiped out one of the HDs and installed 10.4.1 again, and it once again, runs like it was a bonafied Mac.

I'm just not quite sure what the glitch is, and perhaps someone cann pass on a pearl of wisdom here.

Much Thanks!

BTW, This DVD installs and boots into OSX just fine on my Ath-64 laptop (HP ZV5000z) under VMware.

P.S. ~ I can edit this post to include thumbnails, but was unsure how to add them (such as SABR's thumbnail in post #137 of this thread, with the nice CLICK TO ENLARGE at the top of the thubnail).

Just boot with partition utility such as Acronis disk director, and set win partition active... you can download the hiren's boot cd that has boot tools... it's about 60MB

Although you can load windows via the Darwin bootloader, if they are on the same disk with winxp just select the partition to boot where XP are installed

Thanks, that worked. I got XP going again and I updated to 10.4.5.

I'll work on boot options of Darwin later.

Hi!

I installed the 10.4.5 dvd prepatched without a single hiccup.

I did it over a 10.4.3 installation, cloned from another partition (to be on the safe side

and be able to fix anything could have gone wrong).

The install script let me no choice, the upgrade installation was choosen automatically,

and also the 10.4.5 update.

The only problem i hoped to fix was the wrong config of the keyboard (10.4.3 install crashed

just before i was asked to press the key close to "shift", and i ended up with two misplaced

keys on my italian keyboard), but the new config was exactly the same as the previous one.

I even tried to launch as root the config utility, but i had no luck (there is no new keyboard).

So i decided to ditch the old PS2 keyboard for an USB one, and presto, the config app showed

up, letting me do the right choice.

I think i found the right keyboard config file (same place as the file that controls boot options),

but i found no reference to different keyboards. I'm very curious about it...where does OSX

store the configuration of a previously connected keyboard?

Two things that didn't work before and that don't work now:

in/microphone audio and wireless.

My wireless PCI card is a Belkin, based on Broadcom BCM4306 chipset. Very close hardware

to the original Airport cards fitted by Apple. I downloaded somewhere a new AppleAirPort2.kext

for Intel (what's installed in my system is a PPC only), but it failed to load doing a kextload -t.

Then i tried with IO80211family.kext, and it loaded with no problem, but fails to load at boot

even deleting the kext cache.

I will add my device id to those already listed in the info.plist of the Broadcom plugin inside

IO80211family.kext.

If anybody is interested i will let you know if i will succeed or fail.

***EDITED***

Adding my Device+Vendor IDs to the three already there (info.plist of Broadcom plugin inside

IO80211family.kext) gave me an Airport Extreme! I tried both unencrypted and with PKIP

pre-shared key, and it runs perfectly.

The inner workings of the audio kext involved in HD Audio (Azalia) is a complete mystery!

The same solution seems to work for some, and not for others.

I have 3 kexts in my extensions folder that are apparently involved in HD audio support.

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, AppleHDA.kext, AppleAC97Audio.kext.

My audio chipset is listed by the manufacturer as ALC861, if i remember, but Ubuntu Linux

(run as live dvd), identifies and correctly supports it as ALC880.

i don't know which kexts are from the previous installation and which ones are from the

10.4.5, but here is what i found after some experimenting:

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, unlike previous version, has the right device/vendor id: 0x26688086.

It loads automatically and gives stereo audio output (only from the back of the computer!),

but no input (mic/line-in). System Profiler says no audio.

AppleHDA.kext. If i add the right string (0x26688086) to that already present (0x266e8086),

in AppleHDAController.kext plugin, i either get no audio at all (if the kext is loaded), or the

same output-only audio (if AppleAzaliaAudio.kext gets loaded first, stopping in some way the

loading of AppleHDA.kext).

AppleAC97Audio. As far as i know this should be the kext supporting the low-end Realtek chips,

and not the HD Audio family. But if you look at the plugins directory, you can see an

AudioIntelICH.kext, with an info.plist with different sections. One is dedicated to ICH6 Intel

southbridge. I tried to replace the present string (0x266e8086), with the Id of my hardware.

But to no avail. I realize now that probably i should do the same thing i did with AppleHDA.kext,

adding the right string and not replacing it. But i don't know if it makes any difference!

What i know is that messing with AppleAC97Audio is dangerous (i learned it the wrong way with

10.4.3!). So i decided to restore first AppleHDA.kext, and then modify AppleAC97Audio.

Next time i will try to modify both kexts together, to see what happens.

But until now all my experiments gave me the same disappointing result!

Be aware that all the three kexts gets loaded manually (with kextload -t) without any problem.

I'm starting to think that probably a combination of two kexts need to be loaded, in order to get

both audio input and output. But until now, no joy!

What i understood is that the audio output is provided by AppleAzaliaAudio, and that if it doesn't

get loaded i found no audio at all.

If anybody has experimented a little more, like for example removing AppleAzaliaAudio before

adding the right string to AppleHDA, please let me know.

There are lots of people around that have the same problem, and the answers available on the forum

are confusing at best. Most of them also refer to 10.4.3 installation, with old kexts.

AFAIK, the only old kext from 10.4.3, that was intentionally left in the patched dvd, is for support

of ethernet chipsets (i don't recall the name now). All the other are new, but if a new kext of the same

name is not present, i think the update installation will leave the old ones on the hd.

***EDITED***

Further experimenting bought me to the conclusion that AppleHDA.kext is of no use with my mobo

(Asus P5GD1-VM), reading inside the kext it says that it's for ICH7, while i have an ICH6 (plain

version) southbridge. Loading AppleHDA (with the right ID applied) gives no audio at all, and prevents

loading od AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, the only one that seems to work, at least in output.

Adding the right ID to IntelICH plugin of AppleAC97Audio.kext makes it load, but it makes no visible

difference. I forgot if i tried AppleAC97Audio alone or not...bahh. I will continue with previous versions

of the kexts...if there is a solution i am determined to find it! :-)

If anybody has got a clue, please post.

Sorry for the long post, but if i had found a post like this before, i could have spared some time of

pointless experimenting.

have fun with hackintosh

Paolo

I was able to upgrade to 10.4.5 from 10.4.3 successfully. Software update also works fine. Unfortunately I installed the intel security update and it broke my system ( Stupid me, I know) . It boots ok, but it hangs just before giving me the login prompt. Is there any way to back out the update?

Thanks

I was able to upgrade to 10.4.5 from 10.4.3 successfully. Software update also works fine. Unfortunately I installed the intel security update and it broke my system ( Stupid me, I know) . It boots ok, but it hangs just before giving me the login prompt. Is there any way to back out the update?

Thanks

Read maxxuss' page... he has a short and easy guide as to how to go about installing it ^_^ You just need to replace some files in verbose mode now... ;)