[HowTo] Native FrontRow without any illegal hacks? It is easy :)

Kyrie1965

379 posts in this topic

anyone know how to uninstall this? After I installed it, my mouse buttons stopped working like they used to. My mouse 3 used to be like a back button, but now the mouse pointer just dissappears. I just want to uninstall this. I don't know if I just delete the .kext and the Extensions.* files and then restart or what. Any help would be great! Thanks!

- Dustin

- Installed FrontRow. You can find it at Mac OS X Install Disk 1 > System > Installation > Packages > .packages > FrontRow.pkg. You can install it with Pacifist (it is free http://www.charlessoft.com/ ) without any installer checks.

Use "Finder > Go To Folder" to open hidden folder (.packages).

When i go into "Packages" i can't find a ".packeges" file. I know it's supposed to be hidden but i can't find a way to view the hidden file.

Help would be great. :blink:

EDIT1:

Managed to find out:

In the Terminal type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To revert back, type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

EDIT2:

Forget the last one. Just use this (works very nicely):

Show\Hide Files 1.0

i think everything installed properly for me, but i am getting the white screen when i hit cmd and esc. i think its cause i lack open gl? .. i read through all 11 pages but im not really understanding what i have to do. My quartz extreme is not supported nor is core image ... i think i have the intel graphics card. im using a dell dimension. thanks

Hi I was hoping without having to read all 11 Pages of this thread someone would be able to tell me if this is all I need to do to get front row working? Or are there other things that have come of since as happen often? Also any tips for anything else that I can do with it?

Thanks All

What do you need?

- Hackintosh with 10.4.4 or 10.4.5

- Installed FrontRow. You can find it at Mac OS X Install Disk 1 > System > Installation > Packages > .packages > FrontRow.pkg. You can install it with Pacifist (it is free http://www.charlessoft.com/ ) without any installer checks.

- any USB mouse (!)

- FrontRowPass driver (it is absolutely legal simple mouse HID driver with sweet candy). You can download it at http://www.yuriev.info/FrontRowPass.kext.zip

How to ...?

1. Open System Profiler and and check your USB Mouse ProductID and VendorID (Hardware > USB).

2. Convert ProductID and VendorID to Decimal (Calculator > View > Programmer).

3. Open FrontRowPass.kext > Contents > Info.plist. And change idProduct and idVendor (decimal value).

4. Copy FrontRowPass.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

5. In Terminal

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

6. Test it with

sudo kextload -v System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

6. Remove Extensions.kextcach and Extensions.mkext in /System/Library.

7. Reboot.

8. Hooah, comrades! Native FrontRow on your Hackintosh :).

After that you can use Front Row with keyboard, Salling Clicker device or any other that support Front Row.

i think everything installed properly for me, but i am getting the white screen when i hit cmd and esc. i think its cause i lack open gl? .. i read through all 11 pages but im not really understanding what i have to do. My quartz extreme is not supported nor is core image ... i think i have the intel graphics card. im using a dell dimension. thanks

Hm, anyone, who have a solution for this :

white Screen after activate FrontRow...?

Sound and Functions are ok, but only a white Screen.

Dont Know, if that come up after Update to 10.4.7, maybe...

Got GMA950 that supports all needed Functions, like CI,QE...

What can iDo, except a Clean Install.... (The Last Clean Install was two Days of hard work....)

Thanks... Rene

Update:

Only Solution is to reinstall OSX ( JAS DVD 10.4.7) and repair the Networking Bug.

Change the mach-kernel to repair the Rebooting Problem.

Works very fast... (maybe better as the Updated 10.4.6)

Reboot in 15 Sec... That is very fast for me....

Thanks JAS, Rene

Do not forget to install WITH GMA900 Driver Package, without this Package, you dont see your Desktop. Only a very silly Graphic....

You can not control Front Row with mouse. It is not a hack of Front Row. It is native Front Row like on any Mac with Apple Remote.

With this driver "SystemUIServer" think that there is Apple Remote in computer and let you to run Front Row.

You can use Salling Clicker to control Front Row with Bluetooth (Wi-Fi) mobile phone (or HPC)

Salling Clicker

http://www.salling.com/Clicker/mac/

Supported devices

http://www.salling.com/Clicker/mac/devices.php

Universal Binary version (beta)

http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3489

I installed sailing clicker and now how can I use my bluetooth nokia to control front row ?

What do you need?

- Hackintosh with 10.4.4 or 10.4.5

- any USB mouse (!)

- FrontRowPass driver (it is absolutely legal simple mouse HID driver with sweet candy). You can download it at http://www.yuriev.info/FrontRowPass.kext.zip

How to ...?

1. Open System Profiler and and check your USB Mouse ProductID and VendorID (Hardware > USB).

2. Convert ProductID and VendorID to Decimal (Calculator > View > Programmer).

3. Open FrontRowPass.kext > Contents > Info.plist. And change idProduct and idVendor (decimal value).

4. Copy FrontRowPass.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

5. In Terminal

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

6. Test it with

sudo kextload -v System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

6. Remove Extensions.kextcach and Extensions.mkext in /System/Library.

7. Reboot.

8. Hooah, comrades! Native FrontRow on your Hackintosh :D.

After that you can use Front Row with keyboard, Salling Clicker device or any other that support Front Row.

Wow...I can't believe it really works!

Thank you so much, Kyrie1965!

Bruce

Does anyone knows what's the ir-receiver that mac mini, imac uses for the apple remote?

So with this hardware installed front row should work flawlessly right?

Another question when I try to install front rot from the package it doesn't let me install it so the only way to do that is with pacifist?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I wanted to ask you about how to change the frontrowpass.kext in order to use it as an apple keyboard kext, just I have a mighty mouse (wired) and even changing the AppleHIDMouse.kext I can't use frontrow (installed).

Ah, QE/CI running like a clock :angel:

Thanks for it, I really apreciate.

(I had a 10.4.6 ihack with a kensington mouse and just tweaking the USBfamily.kext frontrow worked amazingly). This time, fresh 10.4.7 JAS updated installation.

Please help me, anyone!!

After uninstallation of FrontRow, i can`t run "Sound" and "Keyboard & Mouse" prefpanes in "System Preferences".

i tried to replace bezel files | Keyboard.prefpane | Sound.prefpane, using Pacifist from original Jas.10.4.6, but no result

Any ideas ?

I have tried for several hours to get FrontRow started. I have followed this guide as best I as could. Please tell me how to get FrontRow working on a Intel Hackintos with Jas 10.4.7 installation.

Nothing I have tried works.

Please help me, anyone!!

After uninstallation of FrontRow, i can`t run "Sound" and "Keyboard & Mouse" prefpanes in "System Preferences".

i tried to replace bezel files | Keyboard.prefpane | Sound.prefpane, using Pacifist from original Jas.10.4.6, but no result

Any ideas ?

Theoricaly, you just need to delete frontrow.app from core services (in System/Library/) and replace bezel files from 10.4.6 AND 10.4.5, because, there are files not updated in 10.4.6, or so I remember :dance_24:

Please, be more specific about what method did you use in order to install and uninstall frontrow. That can drop some light to your problem. :idea:

CCG: is your graphics card QE/CI compatible? what methods did you try? did you install Frontrow enabler?

Theoricaly, you just need to delete frontrow.app from core services (in System/Library/) and replace bezel files from 10.4.6 AND 10.4.5, because, there are files not updated in 10.4.6, or so I remember :whistle:

Please, be more specific about what method did you use in order to install and uninstall frontrow. That can drop some light to your problem. :D

CCG: is your graphics card QE/CI compatible? what methods did you try? did you install Frontrow enabler?

Thank for your reply! :beer:

Problem solved.

I deleted both "bezel" folders, then reinstalled it from Jas 10.4.6 install DVD using Pacifist.

All works OK..

Theoricaly, you just need to delete frontrow.app from core services (in System/Library/) and replace bezel files from 10.4.6 AND 10.4.5, because, there are files not updated in 10.4.6, or so I remember :(

Please, be more specific about what method did you use in order to install and uninstall frontrow. That can drop some light to your problem. :idea:

1.Yes, GMA950.

2. Front Row will not run using the FrontRowPass.kext method.

3. However, I can get Front Row to come up by changing the Product and Vendor ID's my USB mouse (Mighty Mouse) in the AppleIRController.kext. This is not a solution because Front Row takes over my mouse.

4. FrontRowEnabler cannot be run on a Hackintosh. The Enabler is only for PPC based Macs. It will crash your system. Read the threads.

5. Front Row looks for a real Apple IR Receiver before it will run.

6. I am trying to come up with a Real native fix that will work on Hackintosh. I am trying to understand why FrontRowPass does not work.

Regards,

ccg

anybody got frontrow to work with 10.4.8?

i used the kext and frontrow is shown in sound and keyboard pref panel. i can even change the starting-keys. but whatever starting keys i use, frontrow will simply not show up. it worked with 10.4.7.

any hints?

Um, my vendor ID is 0x046d, but it won't let me put a 0 as the first number after the x

When I enter front row, it just displays a white screen. I can hear sound but no graphics.