[HowTo] Native FrontRow without any illegal hacks? It is easy :)

Kyrie1965

379 posts in this topic

the method i use from 1st post working well... but strange thing is when browse iTunes>artist>select songs.. and and try to play.. it says something like "the iTunes not responding.. hit play to back into desktop"

iTunes : 7.0.1 (7)

Front Row : 1.3

happened also when trying to open DVD.. while iPhoto in never try it (don have it)

so can somebody help with this?

This patch fixed the "iTunes not responding" for me with AMD 10.4.8 titan semthex kernel

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...nes+preferences

• 2 weeks later...

Wow FrontRow is nice :ninja: - hadn't even heard of it before today!

Got FrontRow.pkg off the 10.4.7 Install CD, removed the installation checking from the setup, and installed the package.

Downloaded FrontRowUpdate1.3.pkg, removed the installation checking from the setup, and again installed the package.

Downloaded FrontRowPass.kext.zip, edited it to use my USB mouse settings, repaired it's permissions.

Restarted PC.

And it works great :police:

Installed iLife '06, didn't need anything other than iPhoto, so did a custom install... updated to the latest version of iPhoto! ;)

Everything works 100% on it now :D

I thought i would give this a shoot on my laptop, but how do i convert my vendor ID?

I have a nasty and horrible dekstop keyboard and mouse! m$

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop® 2.20:

Version: 0.53

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Microsft

Product ID: 0x00e3

Vendor ID: 0x045e

Can someone help?

BaYlisS

Can anyone help me? I'm kind of lost. Here's what I did thus far:

- I installed my Kespan IR remote control, installed the Keyspan software and tested it. The remote works great!

- Downloaded FrontRowUpdate1.3.pkg from the Apple website (is this an updater or the actual program??)

- Using Pacifist I installed the .pkg (If I clicked install it gave me an error saying I need the appler remote)

- Reboot

- I tried pressing Command-Esc but it didn't launch.

Can anyone help me get Frontrow working (first) and then any advice on the remote?

Thanks in advance!!

/mdg

Downloaded kext from new location...followed instructions to a T...nothing happens. How do I launch it? I tried the keyboard launch but nothing.

I am running a fully supported QE/CI x1600xt on a Core 2 Duo E6400. All works (even dual display and sleep), so it's not a systems issue.

Can someone help out?

Thanks,

/mdg

Buler, Buler? Anyone? Buler? :(

Anyone who has this working want to chime in?

- I downloaded the 1.3 Upgrade pkg from apple.

- Used Pacifist to install (bypassing the "you need the apple infrared remote in order to install this" stop/toll both, becase it won't let you install it if you don't have an apple infrared remote).

- Followed the instructions in the original post.

- All went well and as stated.

Can't launch FrontRow...I tried even launching it with the keyboard to no avail.

Can someone help? This is the last great frontier for me to get my system to 100% where I want it.

Please :hysterical:

Thanks!

You need any HID device (USB: mouse, keyboard, remote control, etc.). But this driver is only for mouse (it is easy to change it to any type).

SystemUIServer checks HID devices for valid property to enable Front Row.

PS/2 mouse is not HID device.

If I have a USB Keyspan IR remote control, how do I change it to this? I see in the FrontRowPass.kext has a field called "HIDDefaultBehavior" and it is set to "mouse". It also contains the idProduct and idVendor for the HID mouse device.

If I go to About this mac > more info > usb, and pull out my HID Keyspan numbers, what else do I have to do to FrontRowPass.kext to get it to work with the remore instead of a mouse (you see, I'm using Apple BT Mouse and Keyboard). I assume I have to change the "mouse" to something.

Any help?

Thanks,

/mdg

With Apple Mighty Mouse you do not need this driver :).

How to...?

1. Delete FrontRowPass.kext.

2. Open AppleHIDMouse.kext > Contents > Info.plist

3. Add (look at Bold)

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>M19-0a</key>

<dict>

<key>HIDRemoteControl</key>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>M19-0b</key>

<dict>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>M19-1</key>

<dict>

<true/>

</dict>

</dict>

4. Save.

5. sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Extensions/AppleHIDMouse.kext

6. Reboot.

That is all :).

thanks kyrie1965, after i modify that file as you guided, the FrontRow works now

(the trick with frontrowpass.kext does not work before, maybe all you guys should buy a mighty mouse hehe)

i have mighty mouse connected through usb hub of apple keyboard

JaS 10.4.8 DVD with sempthex kernel

ps : the sudo chown above should be

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDMouse.kext :D

hi all.

I've had to reinstall frontrow, after that I've replaced ITunes 7 with the old 6. Before this, Frontrow worked fine. I've made exactly the same things as in my first installation (i've followed instruction on first post) but now when i test FrontRowPass.kext i get this:

Vash-MAC:~ root# kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kextkextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext appears to be valid

kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

i've tried several times....

any ideas??

anyway i've tried the others method described in this thread too, but with no luck

you should repair disk permissions :D

Hey, i'm trying to use FR but i can't run it because i don't have FR on my keyboard shortcuts list :smoke: , any idea why?

i'm using jas 10.4.7 sse2 with CI/QE

thanks

if you are sure have installed FR correctly, it may means that you unplugged your HID (usb mouse, keyboard, joystick, or whatever HID).

to have HID plugged on your USB port at anytime (especially when you want to start FR) is essential, as frontrowpass fools the OS that you have Apple's infra red remote..

if you are sure have installed FR correctly, it may means that you unplugged your HID (usb mouse, keyboard, joystick, or whatever HID).

to have HID plugged on your USB port at anytime (especially when you want to start FR) is essential, as frontrowpass fools the OS that you have Apple's infra red remote..

well, i have logitech wireless keyboard and mouse plugged all the time...

Ok so after like 2 hours of trying to get this work with Logitech Control Center I managed to get it to work when I plug in a USB Apple Keyboard....but not with my main keyboard.

Cool news is that when the Apple Keyboard is plugged in my Wii-Remote works as a controller perfectly using Darwiin Remote!!! But I can't keep that other keyboard plugged in all the time!

Any thoughts on how to get it working with my LCC as well? I used the whole edit the .plist file to include HIDRemoteControl because the ktext wasn't working worth beans.

Thanks all!

Lauren

Mac Pro - 2.66GHz - 10.4.8

I have tried this on mac pro and it's not working for me. i am using apple mighty mouse, edited info.plist, chown root:wheel on AppleHIDMouse.kext, reboot, still getting "no remote present" error in log.

anybody have any ideas. love to get it working with salling clicker!