[HowTo] Native FrontRow without any illegal hacks? It is easy :)

Kyrie1965

379 posts in this topic

the method i use from 1st post working well... but strange thing is when browse iTunes>artist>select songs.. and and try to play.. it says something like "the iTunes not responding.. hit play to back into desktop"

iTunes : 7.0.1 (7)

Front Row : 1.3

happened also when trying to open DVD.. while iPhoto in never try it (don have it)

so can somebody help with this?

update :

ok from my prev post i realized that FR 1.3 only for 10.4.7? (and im using 10.4.6), so..

ok i tried to go back with iTunes 6.02 and with Front Row from Install DVD Jas 10.4.6 (i think thats FR v 1.0 ? )

and... ouch.. still "and error was encountered when trying to communicate with iTunes"

also happens with iPhoto.

any kind of help would be much much appreciated this FR thing is very cool..

BTW..and i just found out if you want to go back to desktop, press "shift+anykey" give you a nice slo-mo like what happened with expose with shift key..

He did make a mistake in his guide, you forgot the / infront of system when loading the kext.

He did make a mistake in his guide, you forgot the / infront of system when loading the kext.

is that for me? is it is... i already loaded the kext successfully.. the problem is FR not working well with the apps.

if thats not for me.. im sorry in advance :) .. just to exited to get this thing work well

cheers

5. In Terminal

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

6. Test it with

sudo kextload -v System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

6. Remove Extensions.kextcach and Extensions.mkext in /System/Library.

Well I'm stucked on step 5 and 6

After writing: sudo kextload -v System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

in terminal I'm asked to enter my password, then I test with the next line and I just get an error saying something like the kext file can't be found.

What I'm doing wrong? (apart from maby some english writing errors in my post)

Thank you

(I use Tiger 10.4.8 and Front Row 1.3)

logged on as root user and im still getting the "FrontRowPass.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

I have tried 3 times... as admin, added another admin, and as root.

I did chown -R root:wheel but still says it?

wow, I got it working with usboverdrive.

After looking thru the FrontRowPass.kext I noticed there was one major difference which is also seen in AppleIRController.kext :P

So I edited USBOverdrive.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Adding the Product and Vendor ID's. But also adding the extra 2 lines after the ID's.

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>2</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>5426</integer>

<key>HIDRemoteControl</key>

<true/>

*blue = existing

*red = addition

I'm sure you can also do it with the standard USB HID Input driver aswell :)

I did give editing the AppleIRController.kext a go :) adding the Asus Digital Home address' but it didnt work :) was worth a try tho as it looks similar to the apple remote lol.

Thnx for the file dude.

Don't got it working yet, maybe because my mouse is plugged in my keyboard usb hub. Will screw around with it some more tonight(at work right now :D)

Does anyone know if I can control FR with a Nokia 6210i?

Would be sweet if it works... first got to get an bluetooth dongle.

If anyone knows a good dongle please give a heads up.

-Bytez

ok mine now works !! :poster_oops:

OS : Jas's AMD 10.4.8 SSE3 combo (before 10.4.6 not working)

iTunes : working well.. 7.01

DVD : OK

Video : OK

iPhoto : cannot load - brings me back to desktop (iPhoto 6.0 build 276)

so did somebody got iPhoto working well with FR ?

YEAH!!! got it working just fine. And checked out Salling Clicker and it supports my phone. Gonna get a bluetooth dongle today :D.

Owh my ps2 keyboard is working in front row, I have 2 keyboards (white mac keyboard, and a crappy wireless ps2 keyboard) I use the wireless in my bed so I can control movies when i'm rotting away in my bed. But would be sweet with bluetooth :D

-Bytez

ok mine now works !! :blink:

OS : Jas's AMD 10.4.8 SSE3 combo (before 10.4.6 not working)

iTunes : working well.. 7.01

DVD : OK

Video : OK

iPhoto : cannot load - brings me back to desktop (iPhoto 6.0 build 276)

so did somebody got iPhoto working well with FR ?

Mind saying how you got it working?

YEAH!!! got it working just fine. And checked out Salling Clicker and it supports my phone. Gonna get a bluetooth dongle today :P.

Owh my ps2 keyboard is working in front row, I have 2 keyboards (white mac keyboard, and a crappy wireless ps2 keyboard) I use the wireless in my bed so I can control movies when i'm rotting away in my bed. But would be sweet with bluetooth :P

-Bytez

Do you also have a USB Mouse or is it just working from your USB keyboard?

• 2 weeks later...

hi all.

I've had to reinstall frontrow, after that I've replaced ITunes 7 with the old 6. Before this, Frontrow worked fine. I've made exactly the same things as in my first installation (i've followed instruction on first post) but now when i test FrontRowPass.kext i get this:

Vash-MAC:~ root# kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kextkextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext appears to be valid

kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

i've tried several times....

any ideas??

anyway i've tried the others method described in this thread too, but with no luck