[HowTo] Native FrontRow without any illegal hacks? It is easy :)

Kyrie1965

379 posts in this topic

The instructions worked like a charm!

I’ve recently installed Front Row on my MSI mPC, and the whole interface just blew me away. It was very simple and easy to use. This weekend, I used Front Row to play music from iTunes, photos from iPhoto, movies from Quicktime and even some DVD movies I have.

The only thing I’m missing is Remote Control which I’ll buy from Keyspan or TwistedMelon.

Special thanks to Kyrie and HOWTO setup Apple Remote and Front Row.

EDIT: I went to CompUSA today and picked up Griffin's AirClick USB Remote Controller for Mac and PC. The device came with AirClick USB 1.0 software (PowerPC 1.0). After fooling around and trying to hack an extra ('Esc') Button, I found that Griffin had new version of software (Universal - v1.06). After installing, Front Row now works like a charm and works great on IntelMac (or OSx86 PC)!

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclickusb/

--danyel :pirate2:

Edited by Danyell

xtraa, domino, Romeo is Universal Binary now!

I made some changes in source and compiled it. It have many bugs, but works well with Front Row (Options button in Romeo does not work, do not press it, lol :rolleyes: ).

I've tested it with SonyEricsson T630. Works well! Ultra cool. Hooah, comrades :whistle:

This version have support for Front Row. To install, just unzip it and delete "com.arboreal.romeo.plist" (if you have it) in User Preferences Folder.

http://www.yuriev.info/Romeo.zip

Can you (or anyone) please relink this special Romeo build again? it is not working. I'm experiencing the same problem with this program:

Your Bluetooth hardware seems to have been disabled, probably for power-saving reasons. Please switch it on and try again

Is there another solution?

Thanks

PS - I'm under a "hackintosh" 10.4.8 AMD, and I'm trying to sync Romeo with a Nokia cellular

Edited by eXKR

I followed the instruction , inserted the product and vendorid but after:

thatsmes-computer:~ thatsme$ sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext loaded successfully
kextload: loading personalities named:
kextload:	 Front Row Pass
kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel
kextload: matching started for /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

..I reboot I got no FrontRow with command +esc..where I'm wrong??

:-(

I got mine to work after about 20 minutes of searching for the frontrow package. You see it was not on my Mac DVD. There are no files in ".packages" But I downloaded the package from Apple and installed it with no problem. And Frontrow works pretty well.

It's annoying that the mouse has to be plugged in for the application to work. Great Apple!!!.

I was wondering why isnt possible to use the Hard ID and Vendor ID of the touchpad? Isn't a touchpad a HID device? or does it only have to be USB?

There has to be a way to run it without a mouse.

..I am interested on using it with keyboard only, in fact I had to copied on info.plist the decimal number of a HP mouse USB, cause I understood that the way it is.

Before I had a Frontrow working , but it was a PPC version very slow and choppy...so I'm trying to get working a Intel version....I hope in a ray of light!!

:lol::unsure:

I was able to plug in a game controller and use this with the FrontRowPass.kext

you don't have to use a mouse to enable front row :dev:

LOL. That means you have to keep your game controller plugged in all the time... Hmm isn't that the same has having a mouse then??

to get it working with your keyboard ( all generic keyboards ) you can follow "Case 2" on this guide. you just edit the IOUSBFamily.kext and it works. For example with the openfrontrow.app you find with google. for some more detailed instructions you can visit my blog post.

regards, tom.

The question is: Through this guide will I be able to run Front Row on my laptop with out having an USB mouse plugged in?