[HowTo] Native FrontRow without any illegal hacks? It is easy :)

Kyrie1965

379 posts in this topic

i tryed with a new mouse

it start but me too i get a white screen, when i press space i can see menu and all that

chess work, flurry work too, i dont have accelerated ogl but i got ogl, id there a way to force it to work?

EDIT: i got a radeon 9000 mobility

Installed FR1.2.2 on my myzar 10.4.6 with Frontrowpass.kext. Was working beautifully :D but crash after I install Quicksilver :D .

Command+Esc no more activate FR. In fact, it activates QuickSilver. Frontrow keyboard shutcut also disappear from the Mouse & Keyboard sytem preferences.

Anyone experience similar problem?

How can I reactivate frontrow? Try reinstalling FR 1.2.2 but no joy.

Would appreciate any advise.

With Apple Mighty Mouse you do not need this driver :D.

How to...?

1. Delete FrontRowPass.kext.

2. Open AppleHIDMouse.kext > Contents > Info.plist

3. Add (look at Bold)

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>M19-0a</key>

<dict>

<key>HIDRemoteControl</key>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>M19-0b</key>

<dict>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>M19-1</key>

<dict>

<true/>

</dict>

</dict>

4. Save.

5. sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Extensions/AppleHIDMouse.kext

6. Reboot.

That is all :P.

Kyrie help me.. i have now a mouse with his own USB driver a RAZER PRO, i tried to apply your mods to the apple hd hid driver nut i hhave this results:

sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/RazerPRODriver.kext

can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/RazerPRODriver.kext (not a bundle) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

EDIT **********ok everything solved now *************

thanks a lot in advance!!!!

I installed it EXACTLY as the instructions say. The kext loads if i force it to. It won't load on startup. Also i am getting missing dependencies.

com.apple.iokit.IOHIDDriver.plist or something like that...there are 4 missing. That may be why.

When i hit CMD+ESC the Menubar icons: Clock, Spotlight,Displays,Airport. Disappear for 3s and then reappear.

I have tried both ways: Enabler and FrontRowPass.kext and both don't work.

My Specs are

3.2 Ghz P4 w/HTT SSE3

Intel D915GUXLK

GMA 900 Onboard Graphics

1 GB DDR2 PC4200 SDRAM

10/100/1000 Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor (Onboard)

DVD+-RW/CD-RW drive

Mac OS X 86 10.4.5 Myzar Install

Please help me get FrontRow working. Theoreticly it should work perfect.

Does anyone know how to get the frontrowpass kext to work along with usb overdrive or steermouse?

If i use the kext, it makes usboverdrive not load. And i'm too used to using all the buttons on the mouse now.

Or better yet would to be able to use another device. I've tried the ID of my usb keyboard and the xbox360 controller... i can't get 'em to work though.

Can anyone confirm that FR 1.22 works on 10.4.6 with secupd 003 installed??

EDIT: it does :(

I didn't see a little c in my HEX of PID (0xc041), So i use 0x041 wich gave not any errors, neither with kextload but it didn't work at startup, not showing in keyboard shortcuts, nada.

After i noticed my typo and convert a new hex to dec for my mouse it all worked!

So for those people who didn't got to work after a succedfull install, please double check your hex of PID and VID and the decimals of it...

Thanks for this great work.

BiTRiP

hmmm...it works but it broke my audio after installing FR.

It is still showed in Preferences but has no outputs.

How do I fix that again? (onboard HDaudio)

BiTRiP

EDIT: It seems audio is still working, only the volumeslider is not working anymore. Not in preferences or in menu bar. But in Itunes i can set volume.

How to enable volume slider again?

bitrip-Picture1.jpg

bitrip-Picture2.jpg

As I am using Logitech Control Center with a cordless set (mouse and keyboard on one USB reciever) I was SOL twice.

Couldn't find the correct files to edit.

Then I remembered that I also had a Logitech Rumblepad lying around (which is a USB gamepad). Since this was not recognised by LCC, OS X used its own driver for it. I haven't been able to find which one to edit, probably somewhere deep in IOUSBFamily.kext, but adding the correct ids to FrontRowPass.kext makes OS X recognise it as a valid FrontRow controller.

Now I can't use the Rumblepad for gaming (which I didn't do anyway), but as long as it's plugged in I can use Frontrow.

The enabler didn't work for me by the way, but corrupted my keyboard, security and sound preference panels. Repaired as per the instructions on the enabler page.

I am running 10.4.6 (upgraded with myzar patch from myzar 10.4.5 DVD), Frontrow 1.2.2 directly from apple.com (installed using Pacifist) and have also installed SemJaza's patched SecUpd003.

You mean 'Mouse' as value for HIDDefaultBehaviour (or whatever the key was called)? The one you could also change to keyboard?

I left it as mouse because I was not trying to get my Rumblepad to function. It's just there to be a USB HID that is not taken over by LCC and for which I can set the HIDRemoteControl key.

I use cmd-Esc to start FrontRow yes. The shortcut is available as long as ther is any HID with HIDRemoteControl set to true.

interesting thing happened

I used to work with a Ps/2 mouse and eyboard wicht both worked fine on my Mac

now, after i plugged in a USB mouse, nither do

whats going on ?????

Ive only got a USB mouse

EDIT: I changed some Bios settings, everythign seems fine

and let me just say this

FRONTROW, FUNKING ROCKS

this is like icing on cake. On chocolate cake,

ITS SO COOL

THANKS

from reading all the posts in this thread, it seems no one has been able to figure out how to enable Front Row with a logitech Keyboard/Mouse wireless combo. seems i'm getting no love launching Front Row using an LX500 keyboard/mouse using Logitech Control Center.

to get this to work for me, i guess i have to find another USB device to plug into my machine and edit the appropriate KEXT to fake Front Row to believe it's an HID remote device???

is your wireless combo using proper drivers?

i got a RAZER PRO mouse wich has its own drivers so i had to modify THATS kexts frontrowpass wasnt working anymore,, and iam using ROMEO to remot control my frontrow from my cell phone bu bluetooth

Cheers thsi really rocks!

well i'm using the Logitech Control Center for OSX to have full access of all my functions for both the wireless keyboard and mouse. I have a feeling that's the problem. I tried adding in the HIDRemoteControl to the Logitech kext, but like Plecky that was a no go. I tried pluging in other wired mice and enter the PID & VID into the FrontRowPass.kext, but they were both logitech brand mice and was immediately detected by the Logitech Control Center.

as a last resort, i entered the PID and VID of my logitech webcam, that doesn't work in OSX and when i boot up, it gives me a failed FrontRow startup error. i don't have and can't think of any other USB device i can use as a substitute for the FrontRowPass.kext!

this really sux. i want FrontRow to work, but I don't want to lose my Logitech functions for my keyboard/mouse.

btw, how do i log the boot up screen text??? it runs by so quickly i don't have much time to read through it. or is there a way to pause it???

I don't see how nearlly all of you have done this without any hiccups...

I just tried to do it again because I did a fresh install and it's a major pain in the ass...

I have learnt now not to follow the guide by Andrew Escobar...

I have done a new install of Front Row and updated to 1.2.2 but to run it I have to use the script then press and hold Esc for 3 seconds. Fair enough, it works but... Is there a way I could set that app to run at startup without being shown in the dock?

• 3 weeks later...

hello

i've use this guidde to setup frontrow on my laptop but after restarting when i wanna go to keyboard pref it says error and it's the same thing for soud and security

alla other prefs are still working

i tried to replace bezel files to extract preffanes from packages with pacifist but no result

i use a 10.4.5 myzar and manually update it to 10.4.6 the 10.4.7

note that frontrow was working in 10.4.5