[HowTo] Native FrontRow without any illegal hacks? It is easy :)

Kyrie1965

379 posts in this topic

what about enabling front row using salling clicker and nokia 6630 with bluetooth?

i have logitech desktop express keyboard+mouse, it is ps/2 and don't want to buy another keyboard, but already have bluetooth with my cell, so i hope there is some trick...

bye

This hack makes front row think that a USB HID device is the apple remote, and because you edit the generic USB HID kext it wont work with PS/2 items. I'm not sure about using an adapter but you can give it a shot.

As for controlling front row, you can use the keyboard, sailing clicker works, i made a remote for sony ericsson phones, or you can use remote buddy (probably the nearest you will get to the proper front row experience!)

EDIT: Well installing 10.4.9 has buggered up front row. It replaces the kext you edit so id back it up if you have edited it.

Edited by Smoothy Boothy

• 3 weeks later...

The process here worked wonderfully for me but Front Row seems to be missing somthing. I can only play movies from iTunes that are .mov files. None of my .mp4 files that I have encoded even show up in front row as movies. Interestingly, I can play them as audio files from inside the artist tab of the music, but not as movies. In addition, my podcasts show up in the FrontRow list, but when I click on them it says that it is having trouble communicating with iTunes.

I sincerly appoligize if an answer to this has already been posted in this thread or any other, but I see that the link provided for the kext is dead and the rapidshare posting is as well dead. Could any of you get a hold of me if you have the kext that I could use.

Justin

In case anyone is interested, this method also works with my Wacom Graphics pad. Just need to change the device/vendor ID. I even created a menu you can use to control FrontRow completely using one button from the graphics pad pen (popup menu option) :)

can anybody help me figure out how to make front row work? i have the IR receiver from twistedmelon (Manta) and an apple remote. i also have mira installed. i've read through this thread and a few others and searched extensively, i'm just not figuring it out. i've attempted various methods mentioned here too, but no luck. it'd be nice to have a guide on this specific setup. thanks all

edit: i found a guide on the wiki. it didn't work. that is the way its set up right now. i did the sudo chown root:wheel and kextload too, it loaded successfully but didn't work. anything on the tip at the bottom that says not to use the 10.4.4 loginwindow? i'm using it now, is there a way to updrade it?

So, i thought i'd write a rather comprehensive guide on how I went about installing Front Row with the Manta Receiver from TwistedMelon and an Apple Remote. I make no guarantees here, but this is how I went about doing it. I figured it might help someone so they don't have to piece it together like I did. Here goes...

To install FrontRow with Apple Remote and eHome (Manta from TwistedMelon) receiver: (my setup is 10.4.9 on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe, receiver plugged into the onboard USB, Mira installed)

1. Download FrontRowUpdate1.3.dmg from Apple and FrontRowPass.kext from somewhere in the community.

2. Mount the .dmg and open the file with Pacifist, install the 2 directories. Copy FrontRowPass.kext to /System/Library/Extensions and Authenticate

3. Open terminal and type:

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBHIDDriver.kext/Info.plist

enter password and continue, it will load the plist file

Add the highlighted line to the code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
   <string>English</string>
   <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
   <string>IOUSBHIDDriver</string>
   <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
   <string>2.6.0, Copyright © 2000-2006 Apple Computer Inc., All Rights Reserved</string>
   <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
   <string>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver</string>
   <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
   <string>6.0</string>
   <key>CFBundleName</key>
   <string>I/O Kit Driver for USB HID  Devices</string>
   <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
   <string>KEXT</string>
   <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
   <string>2.6.0</string>
   <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
   <string>????</string>
   <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
   <string>2.6.0</string>
   <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
   <dict>
       <key>Generic Keyboard</key>
       <dict>
           <string>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver</string>
           <key>HIDDefaultBehavior</key>
           <string></string>
           <key>IOClass</key>
           <string>IOUSBHIDDriver</string>
           <key>IOProviderClass</key>
           <string>IOUSBInterface</string>
           <key>bInterfaceClass</key>
           <integer>3</integer>
           <key>bInterfaceProtocol</key>
           <integer>1</integer>
           <key>bInterfaceSubClass</key>
           <integer>1</integer>
[color="#FF0000"]            <key>HIDRemoteControl</key>
           <true/>[/color]
       </dict>
   </dict>
   <key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
   <string>1.8</string>
   <key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
   <dict>
       <key>com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily</key>
       <string>1.3</string>
       <key>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily</key>
       <string>2.6.0</string>
       <key>com.apple.kernel.libkern</key>
       <string>6.0</string>
   </dict>
   <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
   <string>Console</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Ctrl+o then hit enter to write out, then Ctrl+x to exit pico. Stay in Terminal.

Type in terminal:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBHIDDriver.kext

I'm not sure thats necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

4. Now edit AppleIRController.kext, adding the integer translation of your receiver's hexidecimal device ID and vendor ID. Use calculator in programmer mode to convert it yourself, or use mine if you're lazy and you're certain you have the same receiver.

type: sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIRController.kext/Contents/info.plist

Again, add the highlighted text to the code and repeat as above. Don't forget to place a space between device ID's

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>AppleIRController</string>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleIRController</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.3</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>airc</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>55</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
	<key>AppleIRController</key>
	<dict>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AppleIRController</string>
		<key>HIDDefaultBehavior</key>
		<string>RemoteControl</string>
		<key>HIDRemoteControl</key>
		<true/>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOUSBInterface</string>
		<key>bConfigurationValue</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>bInterfaceNumber</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>idProduct</key>
		<integer>33344 [color="#FF0000"]57365[/color]</integer>
		<key>idVendor</key>
		<integer>1452 [color="#FF0000"]5242[/color]</integer>
	</dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily</key>
	<string>1.3.5</string>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily</key>
	<string>1.8</string>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver</key>
	<string>2.1.4</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Ctrl+o then hit enter to write out, Ctrl+x to exit pico. Now type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIRController.kext

type exit to exit terminal then Cmd+q to quit

5. Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions and delete Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache

6. Repair permissions on your boot drive. I use an app called MainMenu because I'm OCD about cleaning caches and it provides a quick interface for repairing permissions too.

7. Reboot. It should work after the reboot. The reboot may take a little longer because it's rebuilding the kextcache and then loading front row.

Enjoy!

I have found that mine is not loading FrontRowPass.kext, but it is in the folder anyway. It won't hurt to have it there. I hope this is helpful to someone. Thanks to Smoothy Boothy and user2, most of the info in here was their work. Again, I just wanted to compile it in one post. If there are corrections that need made, please PM me.

• 3 weeks later...
Can someone send me FrontRow? I can't find it on jas 10.4.8 install dvd.

you can download frontrowupdate1.3 from the apple's webside and install with pacifist

................................................................................

I installed front row and works excellent in my laptop with 10.4.8 but only works with the USB mouse inserted.... Somebody know some form that works without the USB mouse inserted?

How can I deinstall/reinstall Front Row? I tried the available hacks (FrontRowpass.kext, IRkeyboardEmu.kext) to get it running without IR receiver. It worked, but now FrontRow won't start again, even if I remove these kexts. It isn't listed in the System Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts, too. Just installing the update again doesn't work. I'm using now an eHome-compatible Windows Media Center Receiver with Mira by TwistedMelon, everything is working fine, just FrontRow isn't startable.

GreetinX from the other Side!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok i still can't get front row to worki have tried every method there is but it still won't launch. I think it is installed i can find the file in core services but it won't launch.

Hi, I did te following to make it work:

Download Remote Buddy, install it (make it start at login time in preferences)

Download Frontrow from apple web site (install it with Pacifist)

Restart

Done, it worked for me. I make it work with my keyboard (command + esc). Hope it works.